ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Drinking Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
12-05-03 08:19 AM
Sir Stonesalot I always feel like a drank whenever I hear "Spider & The Fly".

12-05-03 08:23 AM
Some Guy Sirmoonie, I shall tell lies just for you, cutting calories during the week. Will make up for it this weekend
12-05-03 08:26 AM
parmeda Hey Nanky! Check out the name of THIS doctor, lol.
...and don't let these two articles 'get ya down' this morning. There are worse things happening around you, hell..."rain with texture", LMFAO (damn, that was good!) Go get a drink hon and have a good Friday

Study: SMOKING CANNABIS CAUSES DAMAGE TO LUNGS
By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - Smoking cannabis is not the harmless recreational activity it may seem because it can cause lung damage, researchers said Friday.

Regularly smoking three or four joints a week, even for less than six years, can impair lung function and rob the body of antioxidants that protect cells against damage that can lead to heart disease and cancer.

"Smoking cannabis on a regular basis actually depletes your lung of protective antioxidant substances...and this may have chronic long-term implications for young individuals," said Dr Sarah Nuttall of the University of Birmingham in central England.

In a small study involving 20 people aged 19 to 30, including non-smokers and those who smoked tobacco and cannabis, Nuttall and her team took blood samples, measured lung function and tested for antioxidant markers. She presented the finding at a meeting of the British Thoracic Society in London.

"We found that smokers, compared to non-smokers, had impaired lung function," Nuttall said in an interview.

Cannabis smokers also had significantly lower levels of a protective antioxidant and nitric oxide, which is involved in lung function, than non-smokers.

"These findings are important in young individuals in which the use of cannabis is increasing and may have serious long-term implications for what is currently regarded as a relatively harmless recreational habit," she said.

Dr John Harvey, of the British Thoracic Society, called for more research into the effects of smoking on the lungs.

"It is vital that young people understand the dangers of both cigarette and cannabis smoking since these habits can start having a serious impact on their lungs at an early stage," he said in a statement.

Some European countries have taken a relaxed approach to cannabis use. Although it is technically illegal in the Netherlands, the drug can be bought and used in cannabis coffee shops in the country.

The Netherlands was also the first nation to make cannabis available as a prescription drug in pharmacies for chronically ill patients.
12-05-03 08:44 AM
Sir Stonesalot Piffle.

I've been smokin' pot for 22 years. And I can *gasp* breath just fine *hack hack*.
12-05-03 09:02 AM
LadyJane All these crackpot Doctors trying to ruin all of my fun!!

Well...we all have to die sometime...I'll just be sure to make my exit whilst DRUNK and STONED!!!

LJ.
12-05-03 09:03 AM
nankerphelge Yeah I believe that one.

I've consumed pretty much non-stop for about 20 years -- the first few years almost entirely bongs and I can say that there is only about one square inch of lung that still works.

I notice it most when I exercise -- I don't have the lung capacity I once did. And when I am between batches (like now dammit) I notice after about a week without, I can breathe much easier.

That's it -- I'm turning a new leaf -- a green sticky one!!

12-05-03 09:15 AM
Factory Girl Rank these:

1. Newcastle
2. Bass Ale
3. Guiness
4. Killian's Red
12-05-03 09:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels In the deck of cards of beer and ale, Budwieser in the Ace Of Trumps.
12-05-03 09:28 AM
Sir Stonesalot There's 2 n's in Guinness, my dear.

I rank whichever one is free in the #1 spot.
12-05-03 09:35 AM
Factory Girl Stonesy, that is how you know I am a "Guinnness virgin".

It is too dark & scary for me
12-05-03 09:47 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh FG.

I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk to you anymore. We C10 have certain rules about who we can conversate with, and I'll have to check on this in the by-laws, but I don't think we are allowed to speak with people who have never had Guinness beer on their tongue.

Guinness is the beer that eats like a meal!

Here's what to do. On your way home from work today, stop at a bottle shop and buy a six. Drink one when you get home. Either that, or lie about it.
12-05-03 09:49 AM
Factory Girl Oh, Stonesy. I've had Guiness, I just didn't enjoy it.

Perhaps I shall try again. Cans or bottles??
12-05-03 09:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk to you anymore. We C10 have certain rules about who we can conversate with, and I'll have to check on this in the by-laws, but I don't think we are allowed to speak with people who have never had Guinness beer on their tongue.

C-10? I thought they disbanded due to musical differences.
12-05-03 09:57 AM
Joey " C-10? I thought they disbanded due to musical differences. "

Once a C-10 ................ALWAYS a C-10 .

Just gotta DEAL with it !!!!!!!!!

For Kit : " Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky !
12-05-03 10:15 AM
Sir Stonesalot Musical differences???

Hell man, music is the one thing we all agree about!

Sorry FG, when you put that Guinness virgin thingy in that one post I just assumed that you never tried it.

It's an aquired taste. Like Tom Waits or the White Stripes. It takes different folks different amounts to warm up to it, you know what I mean?

But you'll hit that one very special point with Guinness...the point where you come to a realization...a beer epiphany so to speak. You'll be staring down at that deep black hole in your glass, saying, "There surely is a benevolent beer god somewhere that created this black ambrosia."

It's all over after that.
12-05-03 10:17 AM
glencar Guinness is near heaven.
12-05-03 10:21 AM
Joey " You'll be staring down at that deep black hole in your glass, saying, "There surely is a benevolent beer god somewhere that created this black ambrosia."

Damn Straight My Brother .

Been pouring shots of BlackBerry Brandy in mine recently .

Oh , and shots of Barenjager go GREAT with Guinness .

What ?!?!?! Oh ,sure :

http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/Qstore.cgi

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky !
12-05-03 10:22 AM
glencar Why dilute?
12-05-03 10:23 AM
Some Guy Tastes like bacon to me
12-05-03 10:24 AM
Joey
I never had a " Champagne and Guinness " .

Isn't that called a " Black Velvet " or something .

Nice to Break it Up every once in awhile .

" Jacko ! "

[Edited by Joey]
12-05-03 10:24 AM
glencar It's an acquired taste but once acquired, it's manna from heaven.
12-05-03 10:27 AM
Joey

I am going to have to try it , THAT'S for sure .
12-05-03 10:49 AM
telecaster joey how did you like that "Bakers" bourbon?

I'll be back in 5, have to drop a river pickle
12-05-03 10:58 AM
Factory Girl I'm game for Guiness
12-05-03 11:03 AM
nankerphelge I had tried Guinnes a few times here and it was okay -- but when I went to Ireland and had it in numerous, old, warm, friendly, Irish pubs...oh man!! The planets aligned and I have been a believer ever since.

But I prefer Newcastles!!

12-05-03 12:16 PM
Boomy

I'm gon' go to the store tonight and get a sixer of NC.

Chip it, zippy, up the ying-yang with a twist of slizzy. Later. Word.

NOw, I better get the f#*k outta here!! Professor is coming after me!

AHHHHHHHHH!

[Edited by Boomy]
12-05-03 12:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Carmelita!
Hold me tighter
I think I'm goin' down
Cause I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

Man, that guy sure could write a good song. Warren Zevon is one of those guys that you don't really realize how good their stuff is until there ain't no more.

I'm gonna have one for him tonight.
12-05-03 12:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels He's up for a Grammy, for what thats worth. I was curious as if he ever won one or was nominated before. I just don't trust awards shows.
12-05-03 12:37 PM
Joey

For what it is worth .......................

" Steely Dan " was shut out at this years Grammy Nominations .

Word ! ..............to your Mothers !

12-05-03 12:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, The Wind IS a good album. But honestly I think the nomination was all made for TV stuff. I could care less about the Grammy awards. I'd bet Warren would pretty much feel the same way.

It'd be fun to have a Grammy award. It'd make a great urinal cake.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17