ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Dave Hogan with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Obama's Speech-a fraud (NS) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
23rd March 2008 06:29 PM
Nasty Habits Strictly because I would like to provide a future example of non-partisan behavior in this thread, in regards to that last post, I must say:

Did I use it right that time?

23rd March 2008 06:38 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I am an ignorant cracker.

It's about time you admitted it.
23rd March 2008 06:42 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Strictly because I would like to provide a future example of non-partisan behavior in this thread, in regards to that last post, I must say:

Did I use it right that time?

Your intellectual honesty has always impressed me...That was near flawless usage of "Oh Snap"...At least as far as I can see

23rd March 2008 06:44 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

It's about time you admitted it.

Again...I think I called this fleabitting...I'm like the Magic Johnson of posting...Seeing the defense before it happens
23rd March 2008 06:57 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Again...I think I called this fleabitting...I'm like the Magic Johnson of posting...Seeing the defense before it happens

Do you suppose that adjusting your medication would help with the grandiosity?
23rd March 2008 07:02 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Do you suppose that adjusting your medication would help with the grandiosity?

This is the man calling for the "thinking" vote?...I gotta tell ya, getting schooled by someone with a state education is not exactly a ringing endorsement for Harvard's affirmative action program

Don't take the Magic Johnson comment as to say I'm the only one here with game...you got a little game too

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
23rd March 2008 07:32 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

This is the man calling for the "thinking" vote?...I gotta tell ya, getting schooled by someone with a state education is not exactly a ringing endorsement for Harvard's affirmative action program

Don't take the Magic Johnson comment as to say I'm the only one here with game...you got a little game too

You apparently continue to occupy a parallel universe in which I'm "getting schooled" by you. The only thing you've "schooled" me in is the art of manufacturing phony quotes from other posters.
23rd March 2008 08:26 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

You apparently continue to occupy a parallel universe in which I'm "getting schooled" by you. The only thing you've "schooled" me in is the art of manufacturing phony quotes from other posters.

Yeah...that was for Nasty's benefit...It made sense to him and myself...Sorry for the confusion...Wanna talk about the issue at hand?...We were talking, in a very civil manner, about Obama and his racist "religion" as preached by his racist pastor and practiced by him for 20 years...mind you, it gets a little deeper than the "my grand mammy said" take you said was all I was advancing when you knew very well I had said a lot more...You wanna jump in?...Or are you limited to throwing race cards at me?...There's a whole lot of people here that are expecting an eloquent defense of Obama from you...one that speaks to who he is and not just what he says...One that satisfactorily explains the contradiction between the thoughts he advances with his words, and the thoughts he has supported with his money...a defense that explains THE SPEECH's contradiction with THE SILENCE...One that explains the lack of principle, integrity and judgment he has demonstrated in his past, with the principle, integrity and judgment you claim he now possesses...A defense based on facts and not just more words...that's what the people really wanna hear from you...So...Strap on your thinking cap and bring the noise

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
23rd March 2008 09:56 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
There's a whole lot of people here that are expecting an eloquent defense of Obama from you...one that speaks to who he is and not just what he says...One that satisfactorily explains the contradiction between the thoughts he advances with his words, and the thoughts he has supported with his money...a defense that explains THE SPEECH's contradiction with THE SILENCE...One that explains the lack of principle, integrity and judgment he has demonstrated in his past, with the principle, integrity and judgment you claim he now possesses...A defense based on facts and not just more words...that's what the people really wanna hear from you...So...Strap on your thinking cap and bring the noise

OK, fair enough. Let's start with the false premise that Barack practices a "racist religion." E.J. Dionne's column, posted in the "Sans Fraud" thread, addresses the issue of whether Rev. Wright is really "as far outside the African American mainstream as many of us would like to think". Dionne cites some very strong criticism of U.S. foreign policy in 1968 from Dr. King. What Barack attempted to explain in his speech is that blacks' views of race relations, expressed among themselves and not to whites, are very different than the views of most whites or the views expressed by blacks in mixed company. Some of those views are extreme and some, as Barack notes, "rightly offend black and white alike." But none of us has attended this church and none of us know how much of its preaching is devoted to these extreme positions. As Barack said, "I confess that if all that I knew of Rev. Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way." I view Barack's continuing membership and financial support of his church in that context, not merely through the You Tube lens.

I explicitly reject the idea that black resentment, however extreme or inappropriate, is equivalent to white racism. White racism does not derive from a history of oppression of whites by blacks. Some forms of black reaction--the so-called "Nation of Islam," to be specific--mirror the traditional white concept of racial superiority. That misguided philosophy is neither true Islam nor the teaching of the Trinity United Church of Christ.

It is certainly true, as his critics have stated, that Barack would not have directly addressed the issue of race at this point in the campaign had it not been for the brouhaha over Rev. Wright. That would have been too much to expect of any candidate. But it is obviously false to accuse him of taking the politically easy course in his response. The easy way out would have been to quit the church and call for Rev. Wright's dismissal or even his arrest. It was much riskier for Barack to speak the truth; to say that there is much more to his minister than what Sean Hannity wants you to know: "But the truth is, that isn't all I know of the man. The man I met more than 20 years ago is a man who helped to introduce me to my Christian faith, a man who spoke to me about our obligations to love one another; to care for the sick and lift up the poor. He is a man who served his country as a U.S. Marine; who has studied and lectured at some of the finest universities and seminaries in the country, and who for over 30 years led a church that serves the community by doing God's work here on Earth--by housing the homeless, ministering to the needy, providing day care services and scholarships and prison ministries, and reaching out to those suffering from HIV/AIDS."

I understand that your friend Krauthammer dismisses any discussion of the distinction between the black and white historical and present experience as an invocation of "white guilt." That is simply too easy a dodge. Sure, we don't have separate restrooms or drinking fountains any more. But shopkeepers still follow young black kids around their stores. Discrimination in housing and lending still occurs. None of us whites deals with that reality. That is what is meant by the term "white privilege." It means the fact that you and I, andd all whites, can go through our lives without having to think about race every day.

I hear a lot of stories of racial discrimination during jury selection, and not exclusively from blacks. There was the white man married to a black woman, who talked of the stares and the treatment of their children. There was the blonde woman from Minnesota who dated a black man in San Francisco and told of being approached by "concerned" citizens asking if she was alright--in ultra-left San Francisco!

But Barack does not merely recite the history and presence of racism as an excuse for black frustration and failure. He takes an approach not unlike that which you laud in Bill Cosby: "But I have asserted a firm conviction--a conviction rooted in my faith in God and my faith in the American people--that working together we can move beyond some of our old racial wounds, and that in fact we have no choice if we are to continue on the path of a more perfect union. For the African-American community, that path means embracing the burdens of our past without becoming victims of our past. It means continuing to insist on a full measure of justice in every aspect of American life. But it also means binding our particular grievances--for better health care, and better schools, and better jobs--to the larger aspirations of all Americans--the white woman struggling to break the glass ceiling, the white man who's been laid off, the immigrant trying to feed his family. And it means taking full responsibility for our own lives--by demanding more from our fathers, and spending more time with our children, and reading to them, and teaching them that while they may face challenges and discrimination in their own lives, they must never succumb to despair or cynicism; they must always believe that they can write their own destiny."

No candidate is without shortcomings: Hillary has her lies about NAFTA, her still undisclosed tax records and her ties with corporate lobbyists; McCain has his temper, his complete cluelessness on the dynamics of Islamic extremism (such as the obvious fact that our military presence in Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula is a far more powerful recruiting tool for Islamists than any supposed "surrender" would be) and his own lobbyist links; and Barack has a history of association with a pastor whose views sometimes cross the crackpot line. But Barack's shortcomings are far fewer and less significant than those of the other candidates, and he has done far more to redress them in his speech than the others have done in any context. His message of hope and unity, and his ability to help us achieve it, is understandably frightening to those from both parties who thrive in an environment of Rovian divisiveness. Those forces will continue their efforts to diminish and discourage, to depress turnout and drive the young, the idealistic, the generous of heart from the polls and from the public sphere. But some of us see through that.

"For we have a choice in this country. We can accept a politics that breeds division, and conflict, and cynicism. We can tackle race only as spectacle--as we did in the OJ trial--or in the wake of tragedy, as we did in the aftermath of Katrina--or as fodder for the nightly news. We can play Rev. Wright's sermons on every channel, every day and talk about them from now until the election, and make the only question in this campaign whether or not the American people think that I somehow believe or sympathize with his most offensive words. We can pounce on some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence that she's playing the race card, or we can speculate on whether white men will all flock to John McCain in the general election regardless of his policies. We can do that. But if we do, I can tell you that in the next election, we'll be talking about some other distraction. And then another one. And then another one. And nothing will change. That is one option. Or, at this moment, we can come together and say, 'Not this time.'"

NOT THIS TIME!
24th March 2008 12:17 AM
Fiji Joe [quote]Brainbell Jangler wrote:

"OK, fair enough. Let's start with the false premise that Barack practices a "racist religion." E.J. Dionne's column, posted in the "Sans Fraud" thread, addresses the issue of whether Rev. Wright is really "as far outside the African American mainstream as many of us would like to think". Dionne cites some very strong criticism of U.S. foreign policy in 1968 from Dr. King. What Barack attempted to explain in his speech is that blacks' views of race relations, expressed among themselves and not to whites, are very different than the views of most whites or the views expressed by blacks in mixed company. Some of those views are extreme and some, as Barack notes, "rightly offend black and white alike." But none of us has attended this church and none of us know how much of its preaching is devoted to these extreme positions. As Barack said, "I confess that if all that I knew of Rev. Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way." I view Barack's continuing membership and financial support of his church in that context, not merely through the You Tube lens."

Well...there's all those things you quoted that Obama says now, and then there's the teachings and literature of Black Liberation Theology (Cone et al)...and then there's the literature handed out by his church...and of course, there's the preaching, which, if you understand BLT, it's exactly what you would expect to hear at every sermon...I don't expect Obama to come out admit to practicing what I see as a racist religion...that's why I went and boned up on it on my own...it's racist by most any standard...as well as marxist...and full of ideological contradictions and destructive lessons...I am curious as to how Obama reconciles his attendance at his church with the BLT notion that God favors only the poor black and oppressed when he himself is rich, half black, and despite what he thinks, not oppressed

"I explicitly reject the idea that black resentment, however extreme or inappropriate, is equivalent to white racism."

I do to...but I think the re-inventing of Jesus as a Euro and whitey hating black man and God as the conduit for destroying the rich white man (BLT teachings) goes beyond resentment...it may be an illogical racism, but it's racism just the same...BLT says "they" are the chosen ones...and when BLT defines "they" as black, I'm not sure that is anything but racism...BLT could have re-invented Jesus in any manner they saw fit...but circa 1967, they chose to re-invent him as a hater of the white man and the black man as the "chosen one"...I see that as racist and as fostering racism...If you disagree with me on that, then, as with DJ Nasty, our debate pretty much stops there...Does it not?

In any event, I'm glad to see (from your quoted passage below) that you adopt this very narrow definition of racism...one of asserted racial superiority and asserted racial superiority only...I agree with the definition by the way...Do you apply that definition to everyone and every circumstance?...Other, broader definitions, tend to make issues of race where they do not exist and where the issues are more cultural or social issues than true race issues...This inaccurate definition of racism, IMO, is a much more pervasive problem than actual racism as it is used to stifle debate and it breeds an irrational intolerance and hatred among the races...and I do feel Obama himself makes the "mistake" of using the broader definition of racism...He often (see THE SPEECH) equates what are, in essence stereotypes and prejudices to racism (see his grandmother)...Personally, I think he does this deliberately as it serves his purpose as "the bargainer" that Shelby Steels speaks of...you can disagree...but I've seen this behavior my whole life...it's very effective in terms of achieving "the bargain"...THE SPEECH, IMO, was nothing but 20 minutes of Obama employing this tactic...And, for the reasons I have stated above, I find it offensive and highly irresponsible...I can give Obama the benefit of the doubt when it comes to applying this definition of racism, but something deep down tells me he appreciates the difference between racism and prejudice and stereotyping and ignores those difference anyway

"White racism does not derive from a history of oppression of whites by blacks."

That may be true, but it would help if you explained where you think it does derive from...I probably agree, but I've never really given much thought to where white racism derives from

"Some forms of black reaction--the so-called "Nation of Islam," to be specific--mirror the traditional white concept of racial superiority."

No question about that...The primary difference, of course, is that the white concept of white racial superiority is a dying notion, as opposed to an ascending notion...largely due to the white communities consistent intolerance for it...as opposed to the ascending variety that is, as I have stated over and over, encouraged by the likes of Wright and the BLT religion

"That misguided philosophy is neither true Islam nor the teaching of the Trinity United Church of Christ."

You sure about that?...For the reasons I stated above, it's hard for me to believe that with the Trinity church's library, the Reverend Wright's speeches and his constant citing of James Cone as his authority, and just the basic premise of BLT that it is not the teaching at Trinity...Again, all we have to work with is what the church does and says, vs, what Obama says...I'm not inclined to give the church the benefit of the doubt...not when it's a BLT church...again, the only way you can disagree with that sentiment is if you do not see BLT as racist at its core...you're free to do that of course, but you and I will never agree on anything on this issue if that's your position...I think that's fair to say

"It is certainly true, as his critics have stated, that Barack would not have directly addressed the issue of race at this point in the campaign had it not been for the brouhaha over Rev. Wright. That would have been too much to expect of any candidate. But it is obviously false to accuse him of taking the politically easy course in his response. The easy way out would have been to quit the church and call for Rev. Wright's dismissal or even his arrest."

I absolutely disagree...that would have been political suicide if he had taken that path...the easy way out was to do what he did...spin his own dereliction of duty, poor judgment, or perhaps even his actual beliefs into a distraction alluding to a much broader issue of race relations in America and put whitey back on the defensive...it's "the bargainer" tactic I spoke of above...I don't think I'll be convinced otherwise...Besides, given the amount of spins he gave the issue before giving THE SPEECH (e.g., wasn't there to hear the hate, crazy old uncle, black experience), and the fact that he did indeed adopt half of the easy way out by sacking Wright from his staff and publically distancing himself from the most extreme hate, and still saw his poll numbers slipping, the speech's political necessity is obvious...Imagine if he had given THE SPEECH before his religion and pastor's comments came to light...how then would he be judged?...I see no difference just because of the sequence of events

"It was much riskier for Barack to speak the truth; to say that there is much more to his minister than what Sean Hannity wants you to know"

See above...and add that ceasing to attend a church that peddles intolerance, hate and division does not require anyone, including Obama, to disown anyone...There would have to have been an awful lot of good going on at the church to outweigh the nonsense being spewed from the pulpit and peddled in the church's newsletter...and again, I take much more issue with the very premise of BLT and its racism based foundation...I find it incredulous for someone to contend Obama was unaware of that premise

"I understand that your friend Krauthammer dismisses any discussion of the distinction between the black and white historical and present experience as an invocation of "white guilt."

I'll stop you right there...I don't know Krauthammer...and I didn't cite to him for any of my own assertions...I didn't/haven't even read that op-ed...and I most likely won't

"I hear a lot of stories of racial discrimination during jury selection, and not exclusively from blacks. There was the white man married to a black woman, who talked of the stares and the treatment of their children. There was the blonde woman from Minnesota who dated a black man in San Francisco and told of being approached by "concerned" citizens asking if she was alright--in ultra-left San Francisco!"

Being married to a minority, I get those same stares...and I don't consider them discriminatory stares...and who cares if they are...one thing I know to be an absolute truth about human beings...they will always, ALWAYS, find some reason to discriminate against one another...I do not find that repulsive...I find discrimination to be a necessary element of human survival that sometimes exceeds its necessity and becomes irrational...but I think mankind's advancement over time has shown that rationality prevails for the most part...And I am not one that believes you can legislate people to not discriminate...and even if you could, America has passed those laws, not much else to be done from a law-making standpoint is there?...I think Kurt Vonnegut wrote a short story about all this...If he didn't, he should have

"But Barack does not merely recite the history and presence of racism as an excuse for black frustration and failure. He takes an approach not unlike that which you laud in Bill Cosby: "But I have asserted a firm conviction--a conviction rooted in my faith in God and my faith in the American people--that working together we can move beyond some of our old racial wounds, and that in fact we have no choice if we are to continue on the path of a more perfect union. For the African-American community, that path means embracing the burdens of our past without becoming victims of our past. It means continuing to insist on a full measure of justice in every aspect of American life. But it also means binding our particular grievances--for better health care, and better schools, and better jobs--to the larger aspirations of all Americans--the white woman struggling to break the glass ceiling, the white man who's been laid off, the immigrant trying to feed his family. And it means taking full responsibility for our own lives--by demanding more from our fathers, and spending more time with our children, and reading to them, and teaching them that while they may face challenges and discrimination in their own lives, they must never succumb to despair or cynicism; they must always believe that they can write their own destiny."

Of course he takes that part of the equation on as part of his position...Self-accountability is a fundamental truth that exists regardless of race...unless, of course, the marxist teachings of BLT have taken root in him and he really hasn't thought about the lack of need for self-accountability in a marxist nation...Preaching self-accountability is not an original or noble feat unless you're a democrat...And I'd like to say I'm joking, but as it relates to the black community, I'm not...Every responsible parent preaches that message every day to their children...I'm not giving Obama any cookies for speaking the undeniable and universal obvious

"No candidate is without shortcomings: Hillary has her lies about NAFTA,"

So does Obama as it relates to NAFTA...if we are to believe the Canadian government

"her still undisclosed tax records and her ties with corporate lobbyists"

Honestly, neither of those things bother me...the first is none of my business and the second is present with every candidate ever...including Obama

"McCain has his temper, his complete cluelessness on the dynamics of Islamic extremism (such as the obvious fact that our military presence in Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula is a far more powerful recruiting tool for Islamists than any supposed "surrender" would be) and his own lobbyist links"

And you didn't even mention the fact that he's dumber than a sack of owl poop...I'd mention it here, but it's not my point

"and Barack has a history of association with a pastor whose views sometimes cross the crackpot line."

More than a pastor pronouncement issue to me...and it will continue to be

"But Barack's shortcomings are far fewer and less significant than those of the other candidates, and he has done far more to redress them in his speech than the others have done in any context. His message of hope and unity, and his ability to help us achieve it, is understandably frightening to those from both parties who thrive in an environment of Rovian divisiveness. Those forces will continue their efforts to diminish and discourage, to depress turnout and drive the young, the idealistic, the generous of heart from the polls and from the public sphere. But some of us see through that."

Words...just words...that is all Obama has given me...and frankly, his past has given me many reasons to believe that is all he has...words...just words

"For we have a choice in this country. We can accept a politics that breeds division, and conflict, and cynicism. We can tackle race only as spectacle--as we did in the OJ trial--or in the wake of tragedy, as we did in the aftermath of Katrina--or as fodder for the nightly news. We can play Rev. Wright's sermons on every channel, every day and talk about them from now until the election, and make the only question in this campaign whether or not the American people think that I somehow believe or sympathize with his most offensive words. We can pounce on some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence that she's playing the race card, or we can speculate on whether white men will all flock to John McCain in the general election regardless of his policies. We can do that. But if we do, I can tell you that in the next election, we'll be talking about some other distraction. And then another one. And then another one. And nothing will change. That is one option. Or, at this moment, we can come together and say, 'Not this time.'"

That's nice...that speech should buy Obama some time for him to come up with his positions on what really counts...the real issues of our time....What are they again?

Peace be on ya... Till Armageddon no shalam no shalom

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
24th March 2008 01:38 AM
pdog Honestly, anyone here feel like the two above posts are why lawyers are not considered fun to party with?

I had three young black guys in my cab tonight. I'm old, I didn't know any of their slang. FUCK!!!
and their weird too... BUT!!! they are practicing safe sex, b/c there was mention of condoms.
Very typical of black men, they didn't tip. OH... is that racist? I don't give a fuck, it's true. In fact when I get tipped by a black person, I turn into a preacher, talking about Jesus and the resurrection.
24th March 2008 01:41 AM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Words...just words...that is all Obama has given me...and frankly, his past has given me many reasons to believe that is all he has...words...just words

Bob Marley believed love and music could end racism. He was an idealist... I have to admit, at times, his music has made me a better person. I dod pick up three young black males, fitting the description. So, I must either be the dumbest cracker driving a cab, willing to take chances or not as racist as I think most people are, but are either ashamed of, in denial of, or just won't admit.
24th March 2008 08:40 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
pdog wrote:

Bob Marley believed love and music could end racism. He was an idealist... I have to admit, at times, his music has made me a better person.

And yet, he practiced a pretty fucked up religion.

Go figure!

24th March 2008 09:38 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:

I dod pick up three young black males, fitting the description. So, I must either be the dumbest cracker driving a cab, willing to take chances or not as racist as I think most people are, but are either ashamed of, in denial of, or just won't admit.

Is this what you're looking for?

I think just the opposite...that most people are not racist but willing to admit they are
24th March 2008 10:51 AM
Nasty Habits Now me, last night I had to turn down giving a ride to a Hispanic worker at the Cracker Barrel (yes, I know, but you follow certain simple rituals when your father-in-law is suffering frontal lobe dementia, and Sunday night is, sometimes sadly for my colon, Cracker Barrel night). The extremely WHITE modern reason for this denial is that our car was stuffed full of yoga props (my wife is a traveling teacher). There was literally no way that we could fit her in our car, although we would have given her a ride otherwise. It was extremely difficult to communicate this info to her, though, because she did not have a lot of English, and I left feeling sad because I was unable to help a fellow human being, and bummed because it may have seemed to her like we were pettily denying her a ride because, who knows, we were racist or something.

So, yes. I would like a cookie.

24th March 2008 11:10 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Now me, last night I had to turn down giving a ride to a Hispanic worker at the Cracker Barrel (yes, I know, but you follow certain simple rituals when your father-in-law is suffering frontal lobe dementia, and Sunday night is, sometimes sadly for my colon, Cracker Barrel night). The extremely WHITE modern reason for this denial is that our car was stuffed full of yoga props (my wife is a traveling teacher). There was literally no way that we could fit her in our car, although we would have given her a ride otherwise. It was extremely difficult to communicate this info to her, though, because she did not have a lot of English, and I left feeling sad because I was unable to help a fellow human being, and bummed because it may have seemed to her like we were pettily denying her a ride because, who knows, we were racist or something.

So, yes. I would like a cookie.

Oh jeez...I gotta explain this too?...The cookie is only offered when you actually do something that you're supposed to do in the first place, or when you do something good, and then feel compelled to run around telling everyone of what a great thing you did, seeking your reward of compliment or affirmation...the cookie is offered, as it would be to a child, as if to say, without actually saying it, "big damn deal, take your cookie, shut the fuck up already and go watch cartoons"

In your situation, you did not do a good deed and are now seeking consolation...it's not cookie material...I would say, in your instance, at best, you're entitled to a pack of nabs

But be forewarned, tell that story again, seeking more consolation, and I'll throw you one of these
24th March 2008 11:27 AM
Nasty Habits See, this is one of those problems with being an open minded let's see all sides typical liberal - I understand the "traditional" use of the cookie (deflating "what do you want, a medal?" even further by denigrating it to child-level compensation) as you presented it in your post, but it seemed like someone seeking succor for a childish "ouchie" might also be placated with a cookie. Am I violating etiquette, or am I a visionary?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
24th March 2008 11:35 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
See, this is one of those problems with being an open minded let's see all sides typical liberal - I understand the "traditional" use of the cookie (deflating "what do you want, a medal?" even further by denigrating it to child-level compensation) as you presented it in your post, but it seemed like someone seeking succor for a childish "ouchie" might also be placated with a cookie. Am I violating etiquette, or am I a visionary?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

You're bucking the status quo is what you're doing...And though you may be well-meaning, and certainly the cookie can serve the dual purpose you suggest, you have given no thought whatsoever to what your vision, if implemented, would do to the nabs, the people who make the nabs, and the people who depend on the people who make the nabs...So...take your nabs, shut the fuck up already and go watch cartoons
24th March 2008 12:21 PM
Nasty Habits OK, I propose the following alternative:

Here, Nasty. Have a

It'll make you feel better.

24th March 2008 12:30 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
OK, I propose the following alternative:

Here, Nasty. Have a

It'll make you feel better.

Agreed

I offer you the candy of consensus

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
24th March 2008 02:11 PM
pdog Isn't this cookie argument flawed, aren't we going into it saying everyone has the same morals to get the cookie reward? Which we know is untrue, and then if we ever go to agreement on that, then we are still stuck, as Nasty pointed out, deciding on the reward.

for me, this brings up the crucial point, related to this topic and religion for me. If I ever have any repsect for and religion, religous leaders and it's followers, it is based on if I see these people being of service to their fellows, without any selectivity or prejudice to those they would serve.

24th March 2008 02:22 PM
texile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

What Krauthammer argues in that article can not be debated at all.

Riffy

here's another all in the family reference:
meathead says,
'i'm tolerant to listen to you even though i know you're all dead wrong!'

24th March 2008 02:37 PM
Starbuck i have come to the irrigardical conclusion that we can indeed get seriously, seriously intoxicated if we come up with a drinking game for the obama thread and any spinoff obama threads....it can be done, folks, and I'm not talking just drunk, i'm talking "let's stop by the ER on our way back from the liquor store to get our stomachs pumped" drunk. you know, the kind of drunk you got the first time you discovered that vodka goes down smooth when mixed with orange juice.

here are the rules...and feel free to add your own.

1. whenever anyone uses the phrase "under the bus"...one shot.
2. whenever fiji cut n pastes a long, boring news article straight from foxnews.com......one shot.
3. whenever starbuck posts something insightful, witty, and downright f#@!* ing brilliant....no, wait...scratch that...we don't want to get too drunk too early here, folks.
4. whenever moonie posts a pic of a mormon....one shot.
5. whenever riffy uses the word "partisian!"...one shot.
6. whenever riffy uses the phrase "he's toast!".....one shot.
7. whenever riffy uses "partisian" and "toast" in the same post....one additional shot.
8. whenever gypsy shows up, brings glenny's sexuality into question and gets said post deleted...one shot.
9. whenever jizzy gets his ass handed to him....one shot.
10. whenever pdog uses the n word....one shot.
11. whenever pdog denounces christianity/religion (i.e., "goin' keno on our asses")...one shot.

fuck...i'm gettin drunk just thinking about it...

24th March 2008 02:44 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i have come to the irrigardical conclusion that we can indeed get seriously, seriously intoxicated if we come up with a drinking game for the obama thread and any spinoff obama threads....it can be done, folks, and I'm not talking just drunk, i'm talking "let's stop by the ER on our way back from the liquor store to get our stomachs pumped" drunk. you know, the kind of drunk you got the first time you discovered that vodka goes down smooth when mixed with orange juice.

here are the rules...and feel free to add your own.

1. whenever anyone uses the phrase "under the bus"...one shot.
2. whenever fiji cut n pastes a long, boring news article straight from foxnews.com......one shot.
3. whenever starbuck posts something insightful, witty, and downright f#@!* ing brilliant....no, wait...scratch that...we don't want to get too drunk too early here, folks.
4. whenever moonie posts a pic of a mormon....one shot.
5. whenever riffy uses the word "partisian!"...one shot.
6. whenever riffy uses the phrase "he's toast!".....one shot.
7. whenever riffy uses "partisian" and "toast" in the same post....one additional shot.
8. whenever gypsy shows up, brings glenny's sexuality into question and gets said post deleted...one shot.
9. whenever jizzy gets his ass handed to him....one shot.
10. whenever pdog uses the n word....one shot.
11. whenever pdog denounces christianity/religion (i.e., "goin' keno on our asses")...one shot.

fuck...i'm gettin drunk just thinking about it...

And whenever Starbuck reminds us, yet again, of his freaky man-love crush and obessession for over-hyped dead pop stars who claimed they were bigger than Jesus, yet couldn't produce a decent solo album, everybody shoot
24th March 2008 02:53 PM
Starbuck
quote:
And whenever Starbuck reminds us, yet again, of his freaky man-love crush and obessession for over-hyped dead pop stars who claimed they were bigger than Jesus, yet couldn't produce a decent solo album, everybody shoot

pipe down copernicus....next time you paid $1000 for crooning "margaritaville" to the chubby white trash factory girl vixens down at the local VFW, let me know....
24th March 2008 02:58 PM
pdog I better save some seats in AA for those who drink with starbuck.
24th March 2008 03:08 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

pipe down copernicus....next time you paid $1000 for crooning "margaritaville" to the chubby white trash factory girl vixens down at the local VFW, let me know....

Don't you mean $250?...Minus expenses?...You'd make better money giving up your plasma...and still have your dignity...and a cookie and a cup of Kool-Aid as a parting gift
24th March 2008 03:09 PM
Nasty Habits Satirical use of the phrase "typical ____________" = One shot
Life example of casual racism (excuse me, casual PREJUDICE) that exists in America today = One shot
Posting of Hillary4U&ME video = a shot of rock and roll and a puke bucket
"OH SNAP" = One Shot
Fiji lecturing on the proper deployment of oh snap and the message board smackdown status quo = somebody shoot me
Meg "hates politics" = one shot

What happens when someone uses the phrase "white guilt"?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
24th March 2008 03:13 PM
pdog War, children it's just a shot away....

Use of a Stones song during the drinking game, one free lap dance and lines of a strippers tits ala Spitzer!!!
24th March 2008 03:21 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

WTF? He may have released some stinkers (Some Time In New York City), but a number of his albums were at least "decent" (Imagine, Mind Games) and one was a timeless classic:
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)