ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Dave Hogan with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Obama's Speech-a fraud (NS) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
22nd March 2008 02:43 AM
pdog You'll rue Thr Nader and Ron Paul effect in November!
22nd March 2008 12:43 PM
Highwire Rob Did somebody say, "RuPaul" !?

22nd March 2008 03:09 PM
Brainbell Jangler Here's former Reagan speechwriter Peggy Noonan's take on The Speech:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120604775960652829.html?mod=todays_columnists

She entitled her column, "A Thinking Man's Speech." I am reminded, of course, of Adlai Stevenson's response to the person who assured him that he would "get the vote of every thinking man": "Thank you, but I need a majority to win."
[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
22nd March 2008 04:04 PM
glencar Adlai, the thinking man? Two-time loser. And I'd venture to say that the GOPers here have shown a bit more intelligence than your side. I'm biased, natch, but still...
22nd March 2008 04:55 PM
the good Dude, that is such a cheap shot at McCain.
P.S. - I denounce all religions.
22nd March 2008 04:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

...I just spent 3 days in Shreveport Louisiana...white people there are like hummingbirds...everyone stops and gets real quiet so they don't scare you away

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

Ah, Shreveport - I was there about 15 years ago to attend a family wedding on the very (white) suburban outskirts of the town. My then girlfriend (I should probably write about her in the Ex GF thread, she was CRAZY) and I high-tailed it downtown to go to a music festival on the river, and two of my cousins decided to tag along.

My entire family, basically, resides in Iowa, or did in '93, anyway, and in deepest rural Iowa at that. By the time we'd settled into the festival crowd, cousin number one DEFINITELY had the look on his face having never seen so many black people before. Poor guy - quarterback, pitcher, all around jockalete, very much the white sheep of the family - he looked scared to death. Typical white person. I don't think he ever entirely forgave me for that.

When we got back to the Holiday Inn the rest of the family was huddled around various TV sets watching a white Bronco get chased by a ton of cops.

Good times!

22nd March 2008 05:09 PM
pdog I don't know why, but I love Mexicans. We need more in the USA...

Photobucket

22nd March 2008 05:33 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
pdog wrote:
I don't know why, but I love Mexicans. We need more in the USA...

"Well there's anudda good reason to support Obama!"

rimshot!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
22nd March 2008 10:01 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Fijis Lawn Jockey wrote:

It be mutha fuckin cold.

Come to Bono.
22nd March 2008 10:06 PM
sirmoonie I'm insensitive to the Mormon experience.
22nd March 2008 11:56 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
Adlai, the thinking man? Two-time loser. And I'd venture to say that the GOPers here have shown a bit more intelligence than your side. I'm biased, natch, but still...

"Two-time loser." Adlai's point, precisely. You can't win an election in this country with just the votes of thinking people.

You continue to conflate cynicism with intelligence. And I suspect even Ike would have admitted that Adlai was smarter than he was.

"Nobody ever went broke [or lost an election, he might have added] by underestimating the intelligence of the American people."--H.L. Mencken
23rd March 2008 01:48 AM
the good
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

You continue to conflate cynicism with intelligence. And I suspect even Ike would have admitted that Adlai was smarter than he was.

But Ike had Nixon, who was smarter than any democrat who has ever run for anything.
23rd March 2008 01:56 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:

I'd venture to say that the GOPers here have shown a bit more intelligence than your side. I'm biased, natch, but still...

Izzat so? So howe come they can't do any better than to parrot Fred Barnes's line about Barack "throwing his grandmother under the bus"? (Yes, I realize your pals probably got the line from Coultergeist, but she was parroting Barnes, too) Is is possible that they really didn't understand Barack's point: that he was opening a dialogue on the broad extent of racial bias and bitterness by citing an example from his own family? Keith Olbermann was smart enough to get it when he recalled his German immigrant grandfather complaining, when the news broke about the assassination of Martin Luther King, that his favorite show was interrupted because "some n----r got himself shot." Are you and Fiji and Riffy really claiming that no one in your family has ever expressed such distasteful sentiments? I can remember my grandfather, a one-quarter Yankton Dakota Indian who was born and raised on the reservation, make a joke about "cowboys and n----rs." I cringed, just as Barack did. So, are you saying that you and your buddies didn't get it? Or are you admitting that you did get it, but you deliberately attempted to twist Barack's point for political gain? Stupid or unscrupulous: which is it?
23rd March 2008 02:03 AM
the good
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Izzat so? So howe come they can't do any better than to parrot Fred Barnes's line about Barack "throwing his grandmother under the bus"? (Yes, I realize your pals probably got the line from Coultergeist, but she was parroting Barnes, too) Is is possible that they really didn't understand Barack's point: that he was opening a dialogue on the broad extent of racial bias and bitterness by citing an example from his own family? Keith Olbermann was smart enough to get it when he recalled his German immigrant grandfather complaining, when the news broke about the assassination of Martin Luther King, that his favorite show was interrupted because "some n----r got himself shot." Are you and Fiji and Riffy really claiming that no one in your family has ever expressed such distasteful sentiments? I can remember my grandfather, a one-quarter Yankton Dakota Indian who was born and raised on the reservation, make a joke about "cowboys and n----rs." I cringed, just as Barack did. So, are you saying that you and your buddies didn't get it? Or are you admitting that you did get it, but you deliberately attempted to twist Barack's point for political gain? Stupid or unscrupulous: which is it?

Dude, take a chill pill.
23rd March 2008 02:24 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
the good wrote:

Dude, take a chill pill.

Someone's got to call out these yahoos and FPM's gone.
23rd March 2008 03:17 AM
pdog No one seems to be calling me out for talking about stuff I heard in my family as a kid, but once Barrack said it in his speech, people freaked out. He's almost as white as me too...
23rd March 2008 06:15 AM
lotsajizz Yes, despite differences in emphasis, one should not allow the greater internet surfing Stones public to think that some fringe, Phalangist types are somehow representative of Stones fans. I will ALWAYS call out this behavior.
23rd March 2008 10:36 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Someone's got to call out these yahoos and FPM's gone.

Jangly?

Happy Easter!

23rd March 2008 11:21 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Izzat so? So howe come they can't do any better than to parrot Fred Barnes's line about Barack "throwing his grandmother under the bus"?

Now you know I spoke about a lot more than that...You just pretended it never happened...I know why you do that...But don't go around just making things up...Explain to me why a man (you) who thinks religion is noting but silly myths, is backing a man whose religion is based on silly racist myths..See...That has nothing to do with grandma...
23rd March 2008 11:51 AM
Fiji Joe I seem to recall Obama justifying his church's rhetoric because of the black experience...it wasn't a "my grammy said this" debate...that's just what people who can't defend the indefensible wish to make the debate...because the "my grammy said this" thing can be defended...but that's not really the issue now is it?...It certainly wasn't the issue when I raised it in the other thread time and time again...Only to have Obama's defenders call me names and run away

The major question is why would a sitting senator adhere to a religion, for 20 years, that is racist at its core?...Why would he donate thousands of dollars and hold the preacher of this hate out as a mentor?

I guess we could assume that a black man who was raised abroad and in Hawaii actually knows something about the "black experience" in America...we can assume that...although it's not really reasonable to do so...but we can assume it...It matters not...And why does it matter not?...Because Obama's own church doesn't really base its religion on the American "black experience"...What I wrote earlier...That BJ the Brave just ignored..Will he take it up now?...FPM wouldn't...he would just call me a name...or change the subject

--

It is time to put the "black experience" excuse to bed..Is it not?...Black Liberation Theology is based on a condemnation of whitey that far predates America and its institution of slavery and racism...James Cone and the reverend Wright make that very clear in their teachings...Obama's religion is one that bases its condemnation of whitey on things that happened way back in biblical times...so for white America, we are placed in quite the pickle...forsake the entire foundation of your culture...or agree with Obama's church
----

"Jesus was a poor black man who lived who lived in a country and who lived in a culture that was controlled by rich white people.

The Romans were rich. The Romans were Italians which means they were European which means they were white. And the Romans ran everything which was in Jesus's country.

It just came to me within the past few weeks y'all why so many folks are hating on Barack Obama. He doesn't fit the model. He ain't white. He ain't rich and he ain't privileged.

Hillary fits the mold. Europeans fit the mold. Giuliani fits the mold. White men fit the mold."

Reverend Jerry Wright -preacher of Black Liberation Theology and Obama's mentor

--------

"Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the black community … Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love. "

James Cone - Founder of Black Liberation Theology - Obama's religion and SUGGESTED REQUIRED READING AT OBAMA'S CHURCH

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_...e/JC18Aa01.html

James Cone has been cited repeatedly by Rev. Wright as the authority for the understanding of Black Liberation Theology....So much so he recommends all his parishoners read him...Just in case you want to argue I'm making this up

---

One of you get me past the notion that I shouldn't be concerned with a sitting senator who has voluntarily sought out a religion premised on these ideas for 20 years...I have my thoughts as to why he did that and they are not as sinister as the Obama name callers assume that I think they are (I've stated my thoughts on that in the other thread for anyone with the intellectual honesty to have read them and not ignored them)...but I'd like to hear one of you who seem to think it's not an issue address it...and please, spare me the religion is bullshit argument...It's not bullshit to someone who practices it....that, we can all agree on

Someone tell me how a man who can give the "GREATEST RACE SPEECH" of all time can sit quiet for all that time, in that church...one that recommends its parishioners read the teachings of James Cone and re-issues the Hamas manifesto to its parishoners equating the murder of the jews to the Declaration of Independence...and how can a man who gave THE SPEECH still, even after THE SPEECH, link, from one of his official campaign websites, to the new black panther party and the racist rants of Zulu Shabazz?...Deeds not words...I know Obama has words...sounds good when he says them too...But how about deeds?...Anyone got any deeds they can point to?

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
23rd March 2008 12:14 PM
Riffhard Well my father told me years ago that liberals can not be argued with. He made it a point to explain that they will never be held accountable for anything. They will constantly move the goal posts, and try and change the whole premiss of an argument when they know that they have had their ass handed to them.

This whole episode proves that he was right.

John McCain would be politicaly dead had he attended a "White Theology" church. Liberals change the argument. McCain did not grow up with the "black experience" therefore, say the white guilt filled Ivy Leagued liberals, Obama can not be held accountable for his "church".

Obama delivers a speech that never would have given had he not been caught attending a "church" that preaches hate!!!! He is a hypocrite yet, once again, white guilt filled Ivy Leagued liberals find him another "black experience" out.

It's bullshit. Obama is 1,000 times the racist that I am. I wouldn't even get through one of those hate filled racist sermons that this "preacher" bellowed from the pulpit. That Obama not only stayed for them, but donated over $20,000.00 to his cause proves my point. Fuck his "black experience"!!! That shit don't wash! Clarence Thomas never blamed any "black experience" and his life was way tougher than Barack's ever was! Yet white guilt filled Ivy League liberals call Clarence Thomas a sell-out, or worse yet, an Uncle Tom.

Anyone that defends Obama, and continues to pretend that this is somehow a conservative dirty trick is just being lame. Intellectually dishonesty is a liberal trait. My father made it point to explain that truth to me as well. He was right. Again.

Carry on Obama shils! Your man is dropping like a rock in the national polls! He's done. For a good reason.

Riffy
23rd March 2008 12:23 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

John McCain would be politicaly dead had he attended a "White Theology" church.

You mean if the tenets of his church read like this he would be dead?:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the White Community
3. Commitment to the White Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the White Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the White Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all White leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the White Value System.

All I did was take the tenets of Obama's church and substitute the word "black" with "white"...These are the tenets of a man campaigning on a promise of "one America" Riffy...And do you know?...There are people willing to defend this?...Or at least, as you say, change the subject and call it good...Their behavior can be justified as a product of the "idiot experience"
23rd March 2008 12:52 PM
Starbuck fuck...i just bought season 3 of battlestar galactica....and damn, is it good!
23rd March 2008 12:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

You mean if the tenets of his church read like this he would be dead?:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the White Community
3. Commitment to the White Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the White Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the White Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all White leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the White Value System.

All I did was take the tenets of Obama's church and substitute the word "black" with "white"...These are the tenets of a man campaigning on a promise of "one America" Riffy...And do you know?...There are people willing to defend this?...Or at least, as you say, change the subject and call it good...Their behavior can be justified as a product of the "idiot experience"

So now you're reposting your posts from the old Obama's Church thread? Lame. Especially after calling Pdog to the carpet for repeating that he thinks religion is bullshit. I GOT IT THE FIRST TIME you said, well, I got most of what you're saying the first time too, and that hasn't stopped you from repeating it over and over and over again. I learned a long time ago that it is impossible to argue with conservatives because they will never budge from their original position and just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I guess that is because they are "RIGHT".

I get that this is a real issue for you and has stirred up a lot of shit - I respect the fact that you're out there finding links and bringing them back alive, but you guys TOTALLY were all over throwing grandma under the bus for pages and pages, you continue to repeat the same arguments over and over again and continue to act like legions of Obama supporters are holding their hands over their ears going LA LA LA in this thread, which to my partisan eyes I just don't see. The question of the "end game" to my mind is a legit one, although one I didn't bring up because, right, you can do what you want. But if the point is continuing the debate, why continue to use the same "greatest most important life fullfilling speech of all time" gibes? You are at least creative enough to come up with some new shit worth reading in your posts.

But if he is done, over, finito, caput, why continue to be so serious about it? If it's all over but the shouting why keep shouting?

quote:

Fiji wrote:

One of you get me past the notion that I shouldn't be concerned with a sitting senator who has voluntarily sought out a religion premised on these ideas for 20 years...I have my thoughts as to why he did that...but I'd like to hear one of you who seem to think it's not an issue address it...and please, spare me the religion is bullshit argument...It's not bullshit to someone who practices it....that, we can all agree on

I suppose the question is: Where have you seen this negatively impact or red flag his voting record? Is there any evidence that in his political life Obama has shown tendencies that would give a potential voter pause as to his sympathies for Black Liberation Theology? Earlier I argued that people can indeed put into practice, intellectually, a separation of church and state, so it would seem to me that if you could find some evidence of it affecting his thought in the voting record, that would be cause for concern. If not, we can just assume he's been biding his time waiting to hoodwink the muzzy-minded liberals of the country into electing him president at which point he will unleash his master plan of terror against whitey.

Feel free to show me these smoking guns and hand my ass to me, this is a wide open opportunity.

Shit, I thought I had given up actually thinking in this thread.
23rd March 2008 01:12 PM
Riffhard I think the difference is that they would happily drink the Obama Kool-Aid while hiding behind phony white guilt, and the insanity that is liberalism.

They take the cop out excuse of slamming religion, while ignoring the fact that Obama's religion was important enough to him to spend twenty years absorbing a hate filled message, and getting married by this "preacher", and allowing his children to be raised with a bizzare twist on true Christianity. They hear hate filled sermons and then try and convince everyone else that this is an example of why religion is wrong. LOL! Excuse me?! What Obama's "church" taught is NOT the true teachings of Christ! Hell, even Jesus were a "black man" he wouldn't have taught this stuff!

As impressive as The Speech may have been the only thing that I really learned from it is that Obama is a lying hypocrite. This has zero to do with partisanship from my perspective. I just weigh the facts. He spent twenty years attending a church that preaches institutionalized racism. He spent just about an hour delivering a speech that railed against racism. Do the math!

Riffy

23rd March 2008 01:13 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Carry on Obama shils! Your man is dropping like a rock in the national polls!

Who are you talking to? Pdog has said he's not voting for him. I'm registered indep so I can't even VOTE until November. Jizz is, from what I've gathered, a Hillary supporter who thinks this whole thread (actually the last thread, but by extension this one, too - is ghey). Sir Moon is lying with the lion, the dear little lamb. Starbuck's so white he can't jump to a conclusion (sorry buddy - I had to throw SOMEBODY under the bus. It's what we do! I can no more disown you than I could disown BONOISLOVE). BONOISLOVE is a twat. I can't recall actually seeing Monkey_Man's position on Obama but I will say that I don't think it's been shill. Or shrill. Unlike some people. So as far as I can tell, your "shill" is Brainbell, who seems to be doing fine. And he is in no way this "shill army" that your posts imply exist if you are actually debating in a forum with the people who are actually right here right now.

23rd March 2008 01:16 PM
PartyDoll MEG Old" Oh I hate politics" has avoided this tedious thread for the last couple of days and I just asked my self.."Why, oh why did you open it up again?"

Nasty, you have spoken to my viewpoint very eloquently. Thank You for your fine words.
BJ, my friend..keep on trying if you must!

And Bucky, you wanna play catch with me? I'd rather not watch BSG!

Right....Wrong

Black....White

It is near impossible to change the mind or make a point to those not willing to listen.

I prefer to live life in the gray zone(or cocoa if you prefer).

Now I am gonna go eat some jelly beans

23rd March 2008 01:24 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Nasty, you have spoken to my viewpoint very eloquently. Thank You for your fine words.

What's that called?

Preaching to the converted?

RIMSHOT!

Somebody give the lord a handclap!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
23rd March 2008 01:33 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Who are you talking to? Pdog has said he's not voting for him. I'm registered indep so I can't even VOTE until November. Jizz is, from what I've gathered, a Hillary supporter who thinks this whole thread (actually the last thread, but by extension this one, too - is ghey). Sir Moon is lying with the lion, the dear little lamb. Starbuck's so white he can't jump to a conclusion (sorry buddy - I had to throw SOMEBODY under the bus. It's what we do! I can no more disown you than I could disown BONOISLOVE). BONOISLOVE is a twat. I can't recall actually seeing Monkey_Man's position on Obama but I will say that I don't think it's been shill. Or shrill. Unlike some people. So as far as I can tell, your "shill" is Brainbell, who seems to be doing fine. And he is in no way this "shill army" that your posts imply exist if you are actually debating in a forum with the people who are actually right here right now.

I would say that I am talking to every single poster that has not come out and called Obama out on his blatant hypocrisy. I am talking to anyone that can not be intellectually honest enough to admit that his speech was delivered for one reason, and one reason only, political expediency. I am talking to everyone that loves to slam conservatives time and time again for far less offensive acts than Obama's pandering with the race card. I am talking to every poster here who can not see the blatant double standard in play here. I'm talking to liberals that feel that Trent Lott had every reason to resign for telling a joke yet still think that the same rules should not apply to Obama for worshiping at a church that teaches hate. I'm talking to every single poster that even hints at supporting a man that has proven himself to be sorely lacking in judgement, responsibility, or honesty.

So, in short, I'm talking to just about every liberal alive. As a conservative I would have demanded that any politician that I supported disavow not only the teachings of a rabid racist, but to disavow the racist as well. Obama won't do that. Liberals won't hold him accountable. Pathetic.

Riffy
23rd March 2008 01:44 PM
Nasty Habits So you're saying that anyone who refuses to denounce Obama is implicitly supporting him, and is, furthermore, SHILLING for him!?

WOW.

Support the war or you sympathize with the terrorists.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)