ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hurricane Katrina (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
August 31st, 2005 08:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot I dunno Riffy...

All the afflicted states are red states. My nice blue state got a few showers...and we needed the rain.

I think that not only do the Stones not like ya'll...it's lookin' like God doesn't like ya'll either.

August 31st, 2005 08:56 PM
glencar
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Jesus Christ I can not believe that fucking Sidney Blummenthal is trying to lay this shit at Bush's feet! Will these fucking New York Times liberal fucks ever,and I mean EVER,give this shit a rest?!?!? They use this disaster to bash the Bush admin while completely ignoring the fact that the Clinton admin slashed all,but one spending proposal for New Orleans flood control efforts!! Why not slam Bubba while your at it Sidney?!?!?!?!?!?! You worthless shit munch hypocrit!

It's a goddamned disaster of biblical proportions and all this stupid fucking New York elite lib can do is use it to bash Bush! This is one of the main reasons that I switched sides some years ago. I am sick to death of fucking liberals like this fucknut trying to use every thing as a political weapon. Fuck Sidney Blummenthal. It's an amazing thing to watch really. Blummenfuck managed to bash Bush and the war in Iraq while couching the them in terms of the disaster along the Gulf Coast!!!

Help the poor people down there for God's sake. They need it bad,but to try and politicize this disaster is beyond disgusting! I am stunned that this asshole would do it,but nothing those fuckers does shocks me anymore!

Hey Sidney,thanks you have just made me a lifetime member of the Republican party! Fucking asshole!

FUCK THE NEW YORK TIMES AND SIDNEY FUCKING BLUMMENTHAL,and fuck anyone that would use this horrible tragedy to advance their own political agenda,or slam the opposition. Classless,tastless,but sadly,all too predictable from the NYT,Salon,and the like.

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]

Amen, Brudda! This stuff is above politics. But Sidney B. is below everything.
August 31st, 2005 09:17 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I dunno Riffy...

All the afflicted states are red states. My nice blue state got a few showers...and we needed the rain.

I think that not only do the Stones not like ya'll...it's lookin' like God doesn't like ya'll either.

LOL! Now that is a bunch way below the belt SS. Hey,I live in Jersey now. That's about as blue as it gets. It's also about the most corrupt state in the nation as far as politics are concerned. Hello Toricelli!!! Gay dem governor giveing his boyfriend a job as homeland security chief even though he was a tourist director prior to that!!! Yes,it's a blue state alright!! I,however,live in Ocean County(which borders Monmouth County) those counties are both bright red!!! They also boast some of the best public school districts in the whole nation. They are also two of the safest counties in the whole US of A!!!! There has not been a murder in my town in over twenty years! I wonder if it's that's just a coincidence Monmouth/Ocean are the two most thrieving counties in New Jersey,and also happen to have been run by Repubs for years now?

The Stones love the South my brother. They will be ponying up some big bucks for the relief effort I would wager.

Riffhard
August 31st, 2005 09:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot You guys are too much.

If this had happened while Clinton was President, your side would have called congressional hearings on Presidential mismanagment of the weather by now!

LOL!

However, I do agree. Playing politics with a natural disaster blows chunks.

But it will happen, and it will happen for as long as the recovery process continues. It's the nature of the game.
August 31st, 2005 09:30 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You guys are too much.

If this had happened while Clinton was President, your side would have called congressional hearings on Presidential mismanagment of the weather by now!

LOL!

That is 100% not true SS. Clinton was in officce in 1992 for Hurricane Andrew and the Repubs did not lay it at his feet. He was actully praised by many Republicans for his handeling of that disaster. I know this to be true because I lived in Boca at the time,and I was (shudder!) a liberal democrat at the time.

Having said that,my point,that you obviously understood,was that to exploit this catrastrophy for political gain is dispicable regardless of which side does it!

Riffhard
August 31st, 2005 09:31 PM
mac_daddy it has already started, why do you think this pic is in heavy circulation NOW (bush scanning the destruction from his plane)...

headline:

"bush vows to save new orleans"

Bush Says Katrina Recovery to Take Years
Aug 31 7:06 PM US/Eastern

By DAVID ESPO
AP Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON

President Bush pledged Wednesday to do "all in our power" to save lives and provide sustenance to uncounted victims of Hurricane Katrina but cautioned that recovery of the Gulf Coast will take years.

"We're dealing with one of the worst national disasters in our nation's history," he said at the White House after breaking off his Texas vacation to make an aerial tour of the devastation and return to Washington.

With a vast federal relief effort grinding into operation, Bush also cautioned that the effects of the storm will be felt far beyond Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

He said he had ordered steps to cushion the impact on the storm on the nation's oil industry. At the same time, he conceded: "This will help take some pressure off of gas price, but our citizens must understand this storm has disrupted the capacity to make gasoline and distribute gasoline."

Flanked by senior members of his administration, Bush recited some of the actions already taken to help victims of the storm _ more than 50 disaster medical assistance teams and more than 25 urban search and rescue teams, both from the Federal Emergency Management Administration.

He said the Transportation Department has provided trucks to convey 5.4 million ready-to-eat meals, 13.4 million liters of water, 10,400 tarps, 3.4 million pounds of ice, 144 generators, 20 containers of prepositioned disaster supplies, 135,000 blankets and 11,000 cots.

"And we're just starting," he added.

He said buses were on the way to help take thousands of storm survivors from the overwhelmed Superdome in New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston.

Bush said the Pentagon, as well, was contributing to the rescue and relief operations, and the administration would make road and bridge repair a priority.

Bush also said he had instructed Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to work with refineries to "alleviate any shortage through loans."

In addition to the government's efforts, Bush encouraged private cash donations to recovery efforts.

While Bush did not minimize the destruction left by the storm, he expressed optimism in words directed at the victims of the storm who have lost their homes, possessions and employment.

"I'm confident that with time you'll get your life back in order, new communities will flourish, the great city of New Orleans will get back on its feet and America will be a stronger place for it," he said.

"The country stands with you. We'll do all in our power to help you," he said.

Bush stepped to the microphones to put a personal imprint on efforts his administration is making to cope with the disaster in the Gulf Coast.

"Truckloads of water, ice, meals, medical supplies, generators, tents and tarpaulins" are loaded aboard 1,700 trailer trucks in an initial emergency response, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said earlier at a news conference.

He pledged a "full range of federal resources" _ a list that ran from bridge inspection and repair to restoration of communications networks to mosquito abatement in a region with vast stretches underwater.

At the same time, officials warned of continuing hardships across an area laid waste by the powerful storm.

Michael Leavitt, secretary of Health and Human Services, announced that he had declared a public health emergency in the area stretching from Louisiana to Florida. "We are gravely concerned about the potential for cholera, typhoid and dehydrating diseases that could come as a result of the stagnant water and the conditions," he said.

Chertoff and Leavitt spoke at a news conference attended by an unusual array of department and agency heads, each of whom came equipped with a list of actions already taken by the administration.

In addition to steps designed to alleviate the suffering of victims, the administration moved to cushion the impact the storm might have on the nation's oil supply.

Bush signed off on a plan to release oil from emergency stockpiles, a decision intended to offset the loss of production from Gulf Coast refiners.

At the same time, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Stephen Johnson announced a temporary nationwide waiver of certain pollution standards covering gasoline and diesel fuels.

Johnson had issued the waiver for the four storm-damaged Gulf states on Tuesday but said the broader move was necessary "to ensure that fuel is available throughout the country, to address public health issues and emergency vehicle supply needs."

Additionally, Bodman said the Transportation Department had waived rules governing trucker hours, a step he said would increase the supply of gasoline.

Overall, "the first stage is, of course, life saving," said Chertoff, who emerged as the administration's point man on the disaster response.

Efforts are under way to clear roads and inspect bridges, establish communications and expand operations at airports, he added.

"We are also looking at maritime assets that we can deploy to New Orleans to re-establish port operations there," he said.

Longer term, Chertoff said, will be the rebuilding efforts.

_____

they just better keep subsidizig gas prices, too - esp now that these pipelines are out. they should probably cut gas taxes, too (although i dont know if that will happen in CA, the state govt wont do it, it would have to be a federal move)
August 31st, 2005 09:35 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
$5.57/gallon at one Atlanta gas station.

EPA has temporarily waived the requirements forcing refining of special blends.

Maybe the fucking environmentalists will let us build some new refineries and power plants now!!!

Maybe we will revoke the tax breaks on Hummers now!

I don't know about all this. I just filled my tank at a gas station here in Atlanta, looking at the receipt right now, and it was at $2.99 with no lines. Drove around and there were plently of gas stations open with little to no lines. Maybe it depends what part of metro Atlanta you're located at.

You made an excellent point earlier. New Orleans is below sea level, they are in the part of the world where the forces of nature produce massive hurricanes, they have been worried for decades about a direct hit from one of these powerful storms, and they have a levee system that is only able to withstand a category 3 hurricane?????? Does that make any sense to anyone????

These fucking politicians who only worried about winning the next election. Where have they been for all these years???? To me it makes no difference whether their Republicans or Democrats, they all suck. It takes diasters like this to wake them up.
August 31st, 2005 09:36 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I remember the comments on this board quite clearly in the days after the tsunami hit. I saw no apologies or retractions for those outrageous comments when the donations (government and private) were totalled. I am also well aware of how little the Arab countries gave despite record oil profits. Will there be similar outpouring of charity and chastising of cheap or slow paying countries this time?

Ok, this is gonna be some incoherant ramblings maybe, but I keep on reading these black-and-white remarks from some Americans, so I'm gonna try to react and explain some, as I do feel slightly annoyed by this (sorry ). I understand where you're coming from if I try to think as an American. But things are never as black-and-white as you portray them.

Firstly, how do you know what governments have communicated between each other? The US haven't yet publicly appealed for foreign help (money or manpower) to my knowledge.

Figures (loss of lives and loss of property/economic loss, longterm damage) aren't clear yet. I know human suffering can't be told in figures, but that's what counts for government leaders when deciding if (and what kind) help is needed. Usually when these facts get clear, the affected country has a clearer image of what is needed and what they need from others. It's then that these aids start kicking in.

Also, it's possible that other country leaders have already communicated with the US governments about the issue, behind the media's eyes. I don't know that. You don't know that.

Furthermore, the US isn't as poor a country as many of the affected areas back last Christmas in Asia. So, the common opinion I hear for example here in Holland is: ok, they're one of the richest nations (in general/government-related) in this world, so first we're gonna see how much is needed and if they can deal with that themselves. If it's too much for the US to handle, everyone agrees our government/people should help out.

As more images and info come in about the disaster, people get more conscious about the scale of horror at the other side the big pond and react horror-strucken accordingly. Everyone I spoke to about it sympathises with the victims, theorising what it must be like to come back there and have nothing left, or to lose family and friends over this.

Don't forget that this isn't covered in foreign media like it is non-stop on CNN or Fox or any US news channel, try looking at this from an foreign point of view. Taiwan has a few typhoons I believe, Iraq just lost 1,000 people due to some ignorant stupid fucks attacking them, Russia is commemorating the deaths at the Beslan tragedy (1 year ago today). My point is: it's top news next to their own top news. Just trying to explain how it is outside the US. People don't have a full idea about how things are, not like most of you, getting the in-depth non-stop coverage.

Example of Dutch newspaper websites, just as an example to give you an idea:
http://www.telegraaf.nl/ (US disaster first, scandal about our own agricultural minister second)
http://www.nrc.nl/ (Iraq tragedy first, US tragedy underneath, both top news)
http://www.ad.nl/ (US, then Iraq)
http://www.volkskrant.nl/ (US, then Iraq)
http://www.parool.nl/ (Iraq, no US on frontpage)
http://www.spitsnet.nl/ (football...)
http://www.trouw.nl/ (Iraq)

It is covered, but media react more massively when cold hard numbers are coming in, that's the way the media operate everywhere (unfortunately). As soon as the news came in about possibly thousands of deaths in the US, it was put at the top. Before that, Iraq had already announced death toll (965), so that was top news first.

All I'm saying is: don't judge too early and don't generalise so much. The focus should be on the victims and not looking for scapegoats. The situation is bad enough already for those poor people. My thoughts are with them.
August 31st, 2005 10:12 PM
Riffhard http://www.techcentralstation.com/083105JKG.html

That article right there says it all. A good read,and well worth thinking about before people start trying to blame natural disasters on any one policy,or party affiliation. Alas,many are not bothered by letting facts get in the way when they can expliot a catostrophic human disater for political gain. Sickening!

The hardcore liberals will reap what they sow by trying to politicize this disaster. Will they learn? Will they rethink this bullshit? Ofcourse not!

This thing WAY beyond politics.

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
August 31st, 2005 10:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Flooding in Katrina's aftermath offers vital lessons, experts say

BY BILL LAMBRECHT
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - In his best-selling book "Rising Tide," John M. Barry wrote about the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 and the environmental policies that contributed to that disaster.

This week, Barry indirectly experienced the rising tide caused by Hurricane Katrina, as floodwaters crept into his French Quarter home in New Orleans. Fortunately for Barry, he was in Washington, where he maintains a second home.

"People have said for a long time that we can't continue to do the things we're doing, but the reality is that we don't take natural disasters seriously until they happen," he said.

Barry and others experts said the loss of wetlands coupled with river re-engineering worsened the vast coastal flooding in the hurricane's aftermath.

There were lessons in the floodwaters, they said: preserve wetlands and pay attention to the condition of levees, like those in New Orleans that breached.

"There are literally thousands of miles of levees on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and around the country, and this should remind us that the integrity of these levees is critical," said retired Army Gen. Gerald Galloway.

Galloway headed the task force that studied the 1993 Mississippi River flood disaster and later offered dozens of recommendations in a report that bears his name.

He also spent seven years as a member of the Mississippi River Commission, during which time he analyzed the potential for flooding disasters where the Mississippi meets the Gulf of Mexico.

Galloway, who teaches now and works for an engineering company in Virginia, said Tuesday that the loss of wetlands as a result of development and other causes had removed a natural flooding barrier along the coast.

Wetlands - low-lying, marshy lands near waterways - store water and thereby diminish flooding from heavy rains due to tropical storms and hurricanes.

Since the 1930s, coastal Louisiana alone has lost 1,900 square miles of wetlands, an area larger than the state of Rhode Island, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Galloway also pointed to the effects of channels and the re-routing of the Mississippi that began in the 1700s for navigational purposes.

With development and levees on both sides of the Mississippi, the river no longer deposits sediment in the floodplain, further diminishing natural protections against flooding.

Instead, sediment is carried out of the river through what Galloway likened to a hose, leaving heavy deposits that have caused New Orleans to sink.

Galloway described the need to "come to grips with the fact that we have a problem in restoring the coast line. It is a big problem, and nothing speaks louder to the challenge than a hurricane."

Brenda Ekwurzel, a climate scientist at Union of Concerned Scientists in Washington, said that global warming has increased threats to low-lying New Orleans. The warming - from heat-trapping gases from power plants and vehicles - has raised the ocean temperatures in some areas by one degree Fahrenheit in recent decades.

"As oceans warm they expand, and the sea level rises. In Louisiana, they are especially vulnerable to higher seas from a hurricane or a storm surge," she said.

Conrad C. Lautenbacher Jr., administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said there are no scientific studies conclusively linking global warming with the surge in Atlantic hurricane activity.

"People have hunches, certainly everybody can have a hunch, but the information is not there at this point that would allow you to make that connection," Lautenbacher said Tuesday during a visit to the Weldon Spring office of the National Weather Service. "We have no direct link between the number of storms and intensity versus global temperature rise."

Instead, he said the "above-normal" hurricane season is part of a decade-long cycle that has been stormier than the previous 10 years. The combination of warmer sea temperatures and low surface air pressure have contributed to this year's rash in tropical storms.

The agency's computer studies have shown that warmer temperatures could increase wind gusts slightly - by about 5 mph - in storms that would occur anyway.

August 31st, 2005 10:29 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Alas,many are not bothered by letting facts get in the way when they can expliot a catostrophic human disater for political gain. Sickening!

August 31st, 2005 10:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels NBC U Slates Katrina Benefit

By Jim Benson -- Broadcasting & Cable, 8/31/2005 2:44:00 PM

The NBC Universal Television Group, which has been active in raising money during previous national disasters, has scheduled a live benefit special, A Concert For Hurricane Relief, in high-definition on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC at 8 p.m. Friday.

The hour music- and celebrity-driven broadcast will air live on the East Coast, tape delayed on the West.

The telethon, hosted by NBC's Matt Lauer, will be broadcast entirely from 30 Rock.

The special will feature performances by artists with ties to the affected areas, including Tim McGraw, Harry Connick, Jr., and Wynton Marsalis, and feature an appearance by Leonardo DiCaprio, among others.

All viewers will be encouraged to donate to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund in support of hurricane relief through its website and donation hotline (www.redcross.org or 1-800-HELP NOW).
August 31st, 2005 10:50 PM
Riffhard
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

I'm afraid I don't get your point here mac daddy. Are you suggesting that the Bush admin is trying to get political points from this photo?! You must be kidding right? Every president is photographed literally thousands of times during the course of their administrations tenure. That this photo was released says nothing about political angling one way or the other.

The expliotation that I refer to is from idiots like Sidney Blummenthall trying to lay this tragedy at Bush's feet for his own parties polical gain.

Or this tripe------>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/afor-they-that-sow-the-_b_6396.html

It's pathetic and the picture of the president surveying the destruction can no more be said to be polically motivated than any picture of any former president doing the same thing. He's the president,ofcourse he's going to see the destruction for himself.

Riffhard
August 31st, 2005 11:08 PM
mac_daddy if you think that bush and his machine aren't going milk this to boost his flagging popularity, you are being naive.
August 31st, 2005 11:19 PM
Riffhard
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
if you think that bush and his machine aren't going milk this to boost his flagging popularity, you are being naive.

To date I have seen absolutely no evidence to support that claim. I have seen it from the other side though. The fact is that the president is in a position where he has to lead right now. That is not to say that he is politcizing this though.

I remember many libs lamenting the fact that Clinton was not in office for 9/11. They felt it was a great chance for "him to shine". That is some seriously fucked up shit right there. What kind of twisted mindset is that?!

A picture of Bush surveying the scene is far from politcizing this tragedy though. It is niether the time nor place for any politics at all.

Riffhard
August 31st, 2005 11:28 PM
mac_daddy this isnt a liberal/conservative thing...

it is a political thing, and he is going to be milking it . and it is sick. and he likely will be encouraged to milk it more than he does...

clinton would have done the same thing...

but bill likely would have appeared more presidential, and would certainly have had more poignant and compassionate things to say (but this is just my opinion)
August 31st, 2005 11:28 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
if you think that bush and his machine aren't going milk this to boost his flagging popularity, you are being naive.

Well, that's fine imo, as long as he does a good job on organising the help there. Right? Right.
August 31st, 2005 11:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot Are you kidding Riffy?

Bush Jr will jump at the chance to use this disaster as a way to elevate his approval rating. He is a fucking politician! Of course he will use this as an opportunity to increase his popularity....which had dipped to an almost all time low.

Do you seriously think that the Dems(Who you all know that I despise almost as much as Republicans)are the only ones who use the media? Just exactly what do you think O'Reilly's No Spin Zone is? It's complete spin, but it's spin that you want to hear. So that makes it OK?

You honestly don't think that someone on Bush Jr's PR team made sure the proper pics were taken so we can all see how compasionate Mr. Bush is? You really don't think his people spent some time picking out the right photos to run? Bush will milk this for all it's worth. Nothing like a good natural disaster to make people forget about our mess overseas. And if you think Mr. Bush's people aren't thinking that, then you are delusional.

You are blind my friend. You don't want to see. Your side is every bit as guilty as the other side. Your people do exactly what you accuse the other side of doing. Your people are just better at yelling louder.

Both side will try to use this to their own advantage. That is how it's played these days.

Let me amend my earlier comment to bring it into 2005 instead of 1992. 1992 was a long time ago, and the rules were different then. That was pre-blowjobgate. If Mr. Kerry was in charge the Republicans would have already convened Congressional hearing on his mismanagement of the weather.

Now, I'm saying that in humor, but there is a grain of truth behind it. You can deny it all you want, but if the roles were reversed, some on your side would be spewing the same shit that Mr. Bloomenthal is spewing.

Get off yer high horse Riffy. Because there are no high horses anymore.
August 31st, 2005 11:30 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I can't believe the news, this is worse than I was thinking shame on us, we need to put a candle as a header but the hope is now more important that the sorrow, but even more is TO ACT

There are people in a hospital that the news say is empty and they have dead bodies floating inside the hospital and they have no power, no food and no way to get out. This is only one of many

I hope also our dear friend Jery Holloway is doing fine, she lives in Shreveport, LA, upper left hand corner of LA State close to Texas and Arkansas state limits

Shit!
August 31st, 2005 11:42 PM
Sir Stonesalot The rumor mill here is that we will be asked to send volunteers down...dispatchers, ems, firefighters, the whole shebang.

If they ask, I'll go. I'll miss MSG, maybe even Hershey. But that's unimportant now. If they ask for help, I'm gonna go.
August 31st, 2005 11:44 PM
Bloozehound a couple of you need to really pull your heads out of your fuckin asses long enough to realize what a serious disaster this has turned into....instead of jump starting the spin machine
[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 31st, 2005 11:50 PM
glencar Good of you, SSA. I'm going to refrain from commenting on the politics of this. I was on one liberal board today & the crap they were spouting was sick & then at a conservative board it was nonsense of another stripe. I'm not one of those namby pambies who whine about how things shouldn't be partisan but I just need to take a break from this stuff. Yes, Gerardo, light a candle if you would. Thanks.
August 31st, 2005 11:54 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Are you kidding Riffy?

Bush Jr will jump at the chance to use this disaster as a way to elevate his approval rating. He is a fucking politician! Of course he will use this as an opportunity to increase his popularity....which had dipped to an almost all time low.

Do you seriously think that the Dems(Who you all know that I despise almost as much as Republicans)are the only ones who use the media? Just exactly what do you think O'Reilly's No Spin Zone is? It's complete spin, but it's spin that you want to hear. So that makes it OK?

You honestly don't think that someone on Bush Jr's PR team made sure the proper pics were taken so we can all see how compasionate Mr. Bush is? You really don't think his people spent some time picking out the right photos to run? Bush will milk this for all it's worth. Nothing like a good natural disaster to make people forget about our mess overseas. And if you think Mr. Bush's people aren't thinking that, then you are delusional.

You are blind my friend. You don't want to see. Your side is every bit as guilty as the other side. Your people do exactly what you accuse the other side of doing. Your people are just better at yelling louder.

Both side will try to use this to their own advantage. That is how it's played these days.

Let me amend my earlier comment to bring it into 2005 instead of 1992. 1992 was a long time ago, and the rules were different then. That was pre-blowjobgate. If Mr. Kerry was in charge the Republicans would have already convened Congressional hearing on his mismanagement of the weather.

Now, I'm saying that in humor, but there is a grain of truth behind it. You can deny it all you want, but if the roles were reversed, some on your side would be spewing the same shit that Mr. Bloomenthal is spewing.

Get off yer high horse Riffy. Because there are no high horses anymore.

I can only state what I have previously posted. To date there has not been one instance of Bush,or the repubs trying for any kind of expliotation of this event. Not one. I can,however,link at least four articles that show that the other side has done just that. If you think that a picture of the president looking out the window of Air Force One is expliotation than you need to raise your standards a bit I'm afraid.

Show me one instance where Bush's team has tried to use this as a political wedge. Just one instance. It can't be done. Whether you like the man or not is no sweat off of my sack,but the utter classlessness,and callowousness of Blummthall and RFK Jr. is apparent for all to see. Yet,again,you can not show me one instance where Bush,or his peeps, claimed that it was liberal politics that caused this catrastrophy. Find it. I'll wait. I fear that it will be a very long wait.

As for high horses. Let me just say that my horse,compared to Sidney's,is about twenty hands! His is about a hand and half a best.

Riffhard
August 31st, 2005 11:55 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The rumor mill here is that we will be asked to send volunteers down...dispatchers, ems, firefighters, the whole shebang.

If they ask, I'll go. I'll miss MSG, maybe even Hershey. But that's unimportant now. If they ask for help, I'm gonna go.

Good on ya SS!! My station is putting together a drive to help.

Riffhard
August 31st, 2005 11:59 PM
glencar Well, at least those missing persons cases are off the news now.
September 1st, 2005 12:46 AM
Sir Stonesalot Geez Riff...have you not been watching the TV? You want to see it Riffy...FoxNews is all about it man. They might as well put on cheerleader outfits and do rah rah Bush cheers. You don't see it because you don't want to see it. It's staring you right in the face man.

That picture that mac_daddy posted...they specifically picked THAT picture for it's effect. That is milking it dude.

Look, I'm not saying I blame Bush or his people. He HAS to do it. It's the way the game is played now. But rest assured he IS doing it and he will continue to do it. Both sides will do it. Ain't nobody gonna stay clean. Politics is a dirty dirty game, even during an event as awful as Katrina. You can blah blah blah about the Dems, and blah blah blah about the Repubs...but they both play the same way. And Riffy, for you to deny that shows just how blinded you are.

I personally am rooting for Bush and FEMA on this one. They are the ones who are in position to help. And in the end getting help where it's needed is paramount. That's why I'll go south if asked.
September 1st, 2005 01:04 AM
Riffhard I hear where you're coming from Essy,but I fear that you don't see where I am coming from. Will the WH do all in their power to make Bush look as presidential as possible through this mess? Ofcourse they will. It's what every admin has done since FDR.

What I am specifically refering to is the "blame game" that some on the left (some,not all) are playing with this tragedy. Sidney Blummenfuck,RFK Jr.,and their ilk are trying to pin the tragedy on Bush for political gain. Or,more to the point,for political weaponery. That is what I find so distasteful. Bodies are floating down Bourbon Street,and these guys are trying to tell the liberal base,and all who will listen to their shit,"See I told you so! Bush fucked up the weather!" They never mention that Clinton refused to sign the Kyoto Accord as well as Bush.

The science is murky at best on global warming and RFK Jr. is trying to claim that Bush is,at least partly,responsible for Katrina!!! Hurricanes run in cycles,and this is just the way nature works. Sad,sad,sad to be sure,but to try cast disperssions on Bush after this is crass as fuck,and shows no sympathy towards the real victims.

That is my point. They should be ashamed,and quite frankly,the democrats should rally with the president right now and distance themselves from these types. As should the whole country.

Riffhard
September 1st, 2005 01:21 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Ok, this is gonna be some incoherant ramblings maybe, but I keep on reading these black-and-white remarks from some Americans, so I'm gonna try to react and explain some, as I do feel slightly annoyed by this (sorry ). I understand where you're coming from if I try to think as an American. But things are never as black-and-white as you portray them.

Firstly, how do you know what governments have communicated between each other? The US haven't yet publicly appealed for foreign help (money or manpower) to my knowledge.

[...]

All I'm saying is: don't judge too early and don't generalise so much. The focus should be on the victims and not looking for scapegoats. The situation is bad enough already for those poor people. My thoughts are with them.

Good points, Angie. As news about the real extent of the disaster pour in, the world is getting a clearer picture. Several countries have already offered help, from Canada to Saudi Arabia. But of course, organizing all actual rescue and relief operations on site depends on the American authorities, local and federal.
September 1st, 2005 01:46 AM
glencar I agree that as a rich country the USA doesn't need any one else's help but condolences are nice.
September 1st, 2005 02:02 AM
Sir Stonesalot No Riffy. It's all the same. The WH trying to make the Prez look good through this bad situation...the otherside pointing a finger at global warming....it's all the same crap.

That is what you fail to see my friend.

You see it as it's OK for Bush to try to make himself look good during this event because that's your guy. But that is no different than the other side trying to make him look bad. It's the same thing. But of course, to you, the other side is wrong...because it's the other side trying to make your guy look bad.

In a perfect world, no one would care about sound bites or image. In a perfect world politics would not play in a natural disaster of this scale. But it's not a perfect world, and politics on both sides will play in this.

Dude I live with it every day. Public Safety, Homeland Security....you'd think that would all be above politics. But it's not. It's almost ALL politics. It's maddening. Sickening. But that's the way it is. The recovery process will be politics as usual. Guaranteed.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)