ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hurricane Katrina (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
September 3rd, 2005 09:04 AM
throbby > 51% of us voted for BIG ASS federal government and its oversight. We voted to create a 700,000 THOUSAND employee agency called the Department of HOMELAND SECURITY and created all kinds of BIG ass federal governments entitlements and distributions and whatnots and wherewhithalls and urine. Like all kinds of stuff. Do you know what "federalism" means, Riffie? Anyway, we voted for it, Geoirge Walker Bush III promised it, and it wasn't there.

I'd say we're seeing a pretty shitty return on close to a quarter of a trillion dollar investment over the last four years.
September 3rd, 2005 01:06 PM
jb Throbby is 100% correct.....but just wait, Fox News and the "righties" will blame it on Clinton and those "savages" in NOLA....disgusting!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randall-robinson/new-orleans_b_6643.html
[Edited by jb]
September 3rd, 2005 02:07 PM
Jumping Jack Kathleen Babineaux Blanco is criminally negligent and has 10,000 deaths to her credit. She had control of 7500 national guard and did not mobilize them before the storm or after. A deer in the headlights who just let the disaster happen who did nothing but cry and bitch in the aftermath.

Why is it that the private sector news organizations could get people and communications inside New Orleans before the storm but those State leaders responsible for emergency response still haven't got a fucking clue. There is zero leadership in the City or State level. Compare LA to Texas emergency planning and you can see just how incompetent they are.

Where is Gov. Blanco in this time of crisis by the way? Done herself in yet? Her guilt must be tremendous. I don't know how she can live with herself!!!
September 3rd, 2005 02:50 PM
pdog Satellite Images Of NOLA...

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/newor...lite/index.html

This is crazy!
September 3rd, 2005 03:00 PM
monkey_man Waiting for help, officers keep a lonely vigil

Loyalty binds them to victims

By Brian MacQuarrie
The Boston Globe - September 3rd, 2005

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/03/waiting_for_help_officers_keep_a_lonely_vigil/

Across from the mass human suffering at the fetid convention center yesterday, before a convoy of Humvees finally delivered hundreds of National Guard troops to this crime-ridden intersection of dashed hopes and mounting anger, a city police officer touched his finger to his eye and began to cry.

''I'm going to stay here till everything's done," the officer said. ''I love this city."

Until the troops arrived at midday, the police officer and five colleagues had been the only round-the-clock security for the convention center, where a few thousand displaced residents had languished for five days without food, water, medical attention, and the transportation that federal and state officials had promised them.

In the morning, when the police officer cried, he spoke caustically about the supplies that had yet to arrive for the storm victims, and the lack of food and equipment for the officers. Whatever they needed to eat, the officer said, they had taken from the looted stores around them. The officers asked not to be identified for fear of retribution from the department.

Since the unit was assigned to the post on Sunday, the police said, they had not heard from their superiors, on their working radios or in person. The officers were exhausted and bitter, unwilling to patrol the danger-filled Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, where they would be hopelessly outnumbered, where dead bodies lay in cafeteria galleyways, and where children played on urine-soaked carpet.

''These guys have not only been victims of the city and Katrina," said the officer who had cried, referring to the storm-displaced residents, ''but also the thugs who keep going in there."

The officers had been shot at every night, he and his colleagues said, by criminals who entered the teeming convention center to rob, assault, and rape some of the hurricane victims. Given their own vulnerable circumstances, the officers said, they took over an empty Hampton Inn to serve as a command post, positioned a backhoe as a barricade, erected a bogus ''Raw Sewage Danger" sign to keep away meddlers, and bulked up their firepower, supplementing the department-issue .40mm Glock pistols with their own shotguns.

''We had to arm ourselves," said another officer, a nine-year veteran who had been on duty for 29 straight hours. ''It's against regulations, but they're shooting at us constantly."

In one foray for supplies, the officers said, they broke open a store's safe containing a cache of weapons and added the firearms to their own stash at the Hampton Inn.

The scene described by these police officers contrasted drastically with the picture of steadily increasing security and streaming relief efforts that had been painted before yesterday by state and federal officials in daily briefings in Baton Rouge, Louisiana's capital. On Thursday, Governor Kathleen Blanco said she had no confirmation of corpses in the open at the convention center. But at the site, nearly everyone interviewed there yesterday knew where to find them.

In the morning, no security was present in the area outside the center other than the small police unit, some of whose members had outfitted themselves in jean shorts, running shoes, and even a motorcycle-club cap to establish a rapport with the crowd. But they also wore bulletproof vests, their unauthorized shotguns dangling from their arms or slung backward over their shoulders.

''We think of these people as our people," one officer said, referring to the displaced people in the convention center.

Whatever other police presence had been seen in the area, many storm victims said, consisted of quick passes by gun-brandishing officers in pickups and cruisers. ''Go home!" Gregory Bentley, 57, yelled at a speeding cruiser yesterday. ''They don't help nobody here. They just come through here with their guns drawn."

The half-dozen police stationed across from the convention center said they understood the frustration of the displaced. The officers said they had been bombarded with questions seeking any information about food and transportation. ''We have nothing to give them," one officer said with a sigh.

The group said many of their colleagues on the 1,800-member force had resigned after the hurricane.

In Baton Rouge, Lieutenant Lawrence J. McLeary of the State Police said there were widespread reports of resignations by New Orleans police, but it was impossible to determine how many. ''I think what's probably taking place is they're still in a state of disrepair," McLeary said. ''We know there are [officers] who have said, 'That's it. I've had enough.' But some [missing officers] may be still trapped in their houses."

About a half-mile away, in the downtown business district near the Riverwalk along the Mississippi River, about a dozen police armed with automatic rifles guarded intersections where few people ventured.

At one crossing, a middle-age man in a T-shirt approached an officer who had come to help from the central Louisiana town of Hessmer and said politely that he wanted to ask a question.

''Keep on going! Keep on going," barked the officer, Boyd Blankenship.

Outside the convention center, as edgy National Guard troops began taking up position shortly after noon, the New Orleans police who had been there since Sunday posed for photographs with some of the storm victims.

''Y'all did a wonderful job," said Yolanda Camese, 49, as she hugged one of the officers. ''You made us feel safer. I watched you every night."

''I made a commitment to the city," said the officer, who paused for nearly a minute as he looked at the pavement. ''I made a commitment to my [police] district, and I made a commitment to these people out here and to my fellow officers. That's why I'm here."
September 3rd, 2005 03:06 PM
pdog Great article, tragic, but filled with hope!
September 3rd, 2005 03:17 PM
sammy davis jr. The fact is THE FLOOD is the biggest natural disaster this country has ever had. Local government should have been on this like flies on shit, seeing NO is basically a FUCKING SINK. Yes, the Bush administration was caught unprepared. But you can't lay it all on them. It's fucking easy to be armchair quaterbacks and throw blame around, but the bottom line is, like Sir Stonesalot said is, it takes too much money, time and effort to be fully prepared. It was a disaster. People die and suffer during disasters. It sucks. Then I see Jesse Jackson on TV turning this into a race issue, and I wanna just fucking puke. No wonder this country is so fucked up.
September 3rd, 2005 03:18 PM
texile
quote:
glencar wrote:

The Federal gov't is supposed to step in every time there's a potential crisis looming? You'd better check your Constitution, son. The city/state should have handled that. I agree with you if you're saying that W & Co. screwed up some in the aftermath of the hurricane but that Mayor should be chased out of town. I just hope the gov'ner doesn't cry when THAT happens.
[Edited by glencar]

there isn't any disagreement here glencar - there's blame to go around to every official who slept through this disaster.......
September 3rd, 2005 03:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot A big chunk of the blame definately should go to Blanco. The mayor and the NOLA EMA did what they were supposed to do...they made the state aware of the potential problems concerning the levees...as they have been doing for the last 40 years. The state screwed the pooch by not getting enough Fed help in taking care of the problem....and they made it even worse by allowing the levee budget to be cut by 50%. The city does not have the resources to maintain those levees.

Also, expecting anything other than ineptitude from state and local officials is to delude oneself. And I say this as an employee of local government.

Look, I know you all think it's wrong that all those poor people weren't bussed out before the storm hit. But I'm telling you, there ain't a city in the country that is gonna do something like that. Why didn't Biloxi bus people out? Why didn't Gulfport bus people out? Why didn't Sliddel bus people out? Those places had lots of poor black people too. I'll tell you why...because no one does it. Not anywhere. If you are told to evacuate the expectation is that you will do whatever you have to do to leave and keep yourself safe. The expectation is that you as an individual can take care of yourself. That is NOT an unreasonable expectation. Even if you are poor, you were given 4 days warning. That is a reasonable amount of time for you to get your shit together and get out of dodge. Don't have a car? Walk if you have to. You can't walk a few miles to save your life?

I know no one wants to hear this, but those people who got trapped, poor and black or not, bear some of the responsibility for what happened to them.

That being said, people who were trapped have an expectation of relief once the event has passed. And rightly so. The response effort was flawed in so many ways, and it was responding over such a vast area, with no communications, power, or infrastructure...that it almost couldn't help but fail. This excuse flys for the first day or two. After that though, there is no excuse. I can't really fault the NOLA EMA response because all their shit got wiped out. Thay had nothing to respond with. So that would mean the first response should have come from the state. Anything the state could throw at the problem would have been a drop in the friggin' ocean...even if they had had a good leader. LA-EMA was completely overwhelmed....as would ANY state EMA when dealing with a disaster of this proportion. If this had happened in Philly, the result from the state would have been pretty much the same. So that leaves the Feds. FEMA isn't a response agency anymore. Most of their response capability went over to Dept of Homeland Security. Homeland Security is geared for a terrorism response. That is their directive. FEMA doesn't like DoHS, and DoHS doesn't like FEMA. FEMA responded and told DoHS what they needed. DoHS said...Uhhhhhhhhhhh we got SERT teams and Chem Warfare gear will that help? Need a Bomb Squad?

Whoooops!

Now that sucks and it's a huge fuck up. Guess who caused that fuck up. The guy who set the priorities for DoHS and FEMA. Guess who that was. Mr. Bush. Fuck up number two is that the heads of these 2 agencies were obviously not up to a task of this magnitude. So who appointed people who couldn't get the job done into those positions? Mr. Bush. Mr. Bush could have stepped in and taken over the leadership role...he decided to fly over in Air Force One instead of getting his hands dirty. That's major fuck up #3. It took him 5 days to put his shoes on the ground. And then what did he do? He went to visit Trent Lott, got briefed on TV about stuff he'd already been briefed about, and then he handed out potato chips. He flew over NOLA in a helicopter, and watched the bulldozers work on fixing a levee. He made some speeches and looked earnest. That's great, but not what was really needed. He should have been kicking people in the ass, finding more resouces, and providing REAL leadership. He did none of that. That is major fuck up #4. this has nothing to do with politics. I'd be saying the same things if the doofus from Mass had won.

The Feds got so wrapped up in the "War on Terror", that they forgot about the "War On Mother Nature". Well, they didn't forget exactly, they just didn't consider it as important as it once was. That is called taking your eye off the ball. Unfortunately, the people of the Gulf Coast are paying for that mistake.

Again, I want to emphasize that this is not a political thing. I have actually worked a real flood response during Ivan. It was nothing on this large of a scale, but the procedures are the same. My county was completely cut off. All of our roads in and out were closed and flooded for 3 days. We were fortunate. Our EMA director took steps to mitigate the ineptitude that he knew we would get from upstairs. We got no help from FEMA until AFTER the event was over...then they sent in people to write checks and make suggestions. DoHS was a non-entity because this wasn't their type of thing. PEMA wasn't much help because they were overextended as it was. Sound framiliar?

But this is life in EMA after 9/11. No one thinks about us, until after the fact.
September 3rd, 2005 03:45 PM
Maxmeister [quote]sammy davis jr. wrote:
Then I see Jesse Jackson on TV turning this into a race issue, and I wanna just fucking puke. No wonder this country is so fucked up.

Oh yeah. Make way, the poverty pimp has arrived. With him and others from that edge of the spectrum, along with the talk show pundits and others from the opposite end of the spectrum, reality and facts will rule the day. Riiiiggght.
These ignorant losers and the wackos that believe anything these clowns spew are so beyond clueless there hasn't been an adjective invented to define them.

Rick
September 3rd, 2005 04:19 PM
pdog
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
The fact is THE FLOOD is the biggest natural disaster this country has ever had. Local government should have been on this like flies on shit, seeing NO is basically a FUCKING SINK. Yes, the Bush administration was caught unprepared. But you can't lay it all on them. It's fucking easy to be armchair quaterbacks and throw blame around, but the bottom line is, like Sir Stonesalot said is, it takes too much money, time and effort to be fully prepared. It was a disaster. People die and suffer during disasters. It sucks. Then I see Jesse Jackson on TV turning this into a race issue, and I wanna just fucking puke. No wonder this country is so fucked up.

The response was slow, and not on a local level. The local level was destroyed. You can blame the Feds b/c they were diverted and grossly lead. Bush appointed his friends to postions that they had zero experience in. He can take the blame for that. The poor are the victims, it's the American way.
Are you black or poor? Don't blame Jackson for his feelings. Last I checked we used Africans for slave labor as recently as 145 years ago. No way the consequences of that are erased quickly. The suffering in NOLA is a result of that, period. No ne can be blamed for the result of the storm, but heads will roll for the lamest response ever!
September 3rd, 2005 04:37 PM
monkey_man The Dept of Homeland Security is a pathetic joke. Had this been a chemical or biological attack the people trying to escape NO would have been shot to keep the agent from spreading. We are on are own no matter where you live or what your color is. Buying weapons and stockpiling food is starting to not seem so out there anymore.
September 3rd, 2005 06:33 PM
icydanger
quote:
Poplar wrote:
thank god all the liberal bitches are out today.
cause now is certainly the time for sarcastic jabs and tired old shtick.

what kind of moron can hold ONE MAN responsible for all of this, and yeah, mention 9/11 like he can be blamed for that too. Fine, have it your way: THIS IS ALL W'S FAULT!!!!

never in my life can i remember a poorer lot of shrill cry-babies.

[Edited by Poplar]

well in the US, who is the the main star?

he reacted very promptly under other circumstances.
misery it's obvious and no means, my elder son lives in the US, shiver, though in the North.

and why no daily rations, don't you guys stock HDR?
officials could of prepared for it.i.e. Do simulations. Read statistics (data) Loss of lives due to bad logistics and organization irks me. I was not expecting to witness a US humanitarian disaster, it came as a shock to me.

i posted here before what i thought about the budget at the time needed for the levees in Nozone. Losing " two (2)football stadiums a day of land, the project who would of also protected New-Orleans, Baie St Louis, received no funds etc... talk about landslide.
many of those posts disappeared i shall not elaborate.

it was ovious as soon as the pics were available on Katrina's photo index, bay ST Louis was agonizing. I was so upset about this and got into arguments with my son as he was saying to me then "stop comparing this to a tsunami, why should bush send the army?" i think the feds should of been sent in as soon as they spotted her. leave on wednesday, get ready, act, to consolidate the dams,& bring security to the population
I read this strange reply in a forum:
"do you want them to get killed too, we need to save them to rebuild"

Isn't the army there to protect civils?

and about the Land: building a Federal buildings there, it's a great spot to be. the ovale room....there, this ....

after a few insisted this could be a bad hurricane, and a member of the staff from the rescue team posted tuesday about how terrible it was and the help given from boats, explaining he saw many bodies and had no time to stop for many needed help, seeing the mayor Blanco crying,
on wednesday the talk was finally about whether the zone needed to be overflown? to really understand and decide what to do, George Walker flying over realized thursday it may be worth giving a little attention and he had to send the Feds. He shakes while hearing the awful reports of what is happening in the Convention Center and commands looters to be shot, same way he shook when he heard the levee was breaking. action. friday he wondered how come everything had gone wrong.

After the Tsunami, the Presidents involved had approximations of losses in lifes and not just $$$$$
the public you, you all, the media, was not informed, to hide facts, or not to see them, he, *blind leading the blind, -again, denying reality, this because one man did not take seriously the warnings
the worse is they (administration) never learn:

over confidence,
again.

the next lines:

US economy "safe" from Hurricane, really? I wonder, imo
it will go down a lot, when production gets organized it will go up again, but in between i see bad times ahead.

September 3rd, 2005 08:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot People act like nothing happened before the storm hit. That's not true. Resources were headed to the Gulf Coast in the days leading up to the storm hitting the coast. The problem came with trying to actually getting those resources to the scene. There were no usable roads, the airports were not usable. There were resources in position, just no way to deliver them until the roadways and airports were opened. Not an easy task!

The response to this storm was immediate. The main problem arose as to the actual size and scope of the event. It was much much much bigger than was anticipated. The immediate response wasn't nearly big enough. But the response was immediate. It just so happens that the immediate response was completely overwhelmed.
September 3rd, 2005 08:34 PM
FPM C10 Congress Likely to Probe Guard Response

Saturday September 3, 2005 9:46 PM

AP Photo LAEG113

By SHARON THEIMER

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Another 10,000 National Guard troops are being sent to the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast, raising their number to about 40,000, but questions linger about the speed with which troops were deployed.

Several states ready and willing to send National Guard troops to the rescue in New Orleans didn't get the go-ahead until days after the storm struck - a delay nearly certain to be investigated by Congress.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson offered Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco help from his state's National Guard last Sunday, the day before Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana. Blanco accepted, but paperwork needed to get the troops en route didn't come from Washington until late Thursday.

California troops just began arriving in Louisiana on Friday, three days after flood waters devastated New Orleans and chaos broke out.

In fact, when New Orleans' levees gave way to deadly flooding on Tuesday, Louisiana's National Guard had received help from troops in only three other states: Ohio, which had nine people in Louisiana then; Oklahoma, 89; and Texas, 625, figures provided by the National Guard show.

Maj. Gen. Thomas Cutler, who leads the Michigan National Guard, said he anticipated a call for police units and started preparing them, but couldn't go until states in the hurricane zone asked them to come.

``We could have had people on the road Tuesday,'' Cutler said. ``We have to wait and respond to their need.''

The Michigan National Guard was asked for military police by Mississippi late Tuesday and by Louisiana officials late Wednesday. The state sent 182 MPs to Mississippi on Friday and had 242 headed to Louisiana on Saturday.

Typically, the authority to use the National Guard in a state role lies with the governor, who tells his or her adjutant general to order individual Guard units to begin duty. Turnaround time varies depending on the number of troops involved, their location and their assigned missions.

One factor that may have further complicated post-Katrina deployment arose when Louisiana discovered it needed Guardsmen to do more law enforcement duty because a large portion of the New Orleans police force was not functioning, according to Lt. Gen. Steven H. Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau at the Pentagon.

Because the agreement that was already in existence for states to contribute Guard troops to Louisiana did not include a provision on their use in law enforcement, Blum said, Gov. Blanco had to get separate written agreements authorizing Guardsmen to do police-type duty.

Still, Blum said, this took only minutes to execute.

With many states' Guard units depleted by deployments to Iraq, Katrina's aftermath was almost certain from the beginning to require help from faraway states.

Republicans and Democrats alike in Congress are just beginning to ask why one of the National Guard's most trusted roles - disaster relief - was so uneven, delayed and chaotic this time around.

Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., said the situation has shown major breakdowns in the nation's emergency response capabilities. ``There must be some accountability in this process after the crisis is addressed,'' he said.

Democrat Ben Nelson, Nebraska's other senator, said he now questions National Guard leaders' earlier assertions that they had enough resources to respond to natural disasters even with the Iraq war.

``I'm going to ask that question again,'' Nelson said. ``Do we have enough (troops), and if we do, why were they not deployed sooner?''

President Bush was asked that question Friday as he toured the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast area and said he disagrees with criticism the military is stretched too thin.

``We've got a job to defend this country in the war on terror, and we've got a job to bring aid and comfort to the people of the Gulf Coast, and we'll do both,'' he said.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John Warner, R-Va., plans to make oversight of the Defense Department, the National Guard and their assistance his top priority when he returns to Washington next week from an overseas trips, spokesman John Ullyot said Friday.

Bush had the legal authority to order the National Guard to the disaster area himself, as he did after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks . But the troops four years ago were deployed for national security protection, and presidents of both parties traditionally defer to governors to deploy their own National Guardsmen and request help from other states when it comes to natural disasters.

In addition to Guard help, the federal government could have activated, but did not, a major air support plan under a pre-existing contract with airlines. The program, called Civilian Reserve Air Fleet, lets the government quickly put private cargo and passenger planes into service.

The CRAF provision has been activated twice, once for the Persian Gulf War and again for the Iraq war.

The more I think about all of this the angrier I get. We need a regime change here in the US, from top to bottom, but let's start at the top.

I saw it reported on Fox, which is having a HELL of a time spinning THIS story, that Condi Rice claimed that the cause of the obscene delay in sending help was because the list of states offering help was so long that it took a few days to assess the offers and decide which ones would be best suited to provide immediate assistance.

September 3rd, 2005 08:55 PM
sammy davis jr. The poor are the victims, it's the American way.
Are you black or poor? Don't blame Jackson for his feelings. Last I checked we used Africans for slave labor as recently as 145 years ago. No way the consequences of that are erased quickly. The suffering in NOLA is a result of that, period. No ne can be blamed for the result of the storm, but heads will roll for the lamest response ever!

Uh believe me, Jesse Jackson 'aint poor. And guess how he got not poor? He worked. (And he stayed busy knocking up co-eds.)
But to just sit there when you knew what was coming is not smart.
September 3rd, 2005 10:47 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
The poor are the victims, it's the American way.

Uh believe me, Jesse Jackson 'aint poor. And guess how he got not poor? He worked. (And he stayed busy knocking up co-eds.)
But to just sit there when you knew what was coming is not smart.

WTF? I can usually decipher these, but that one is like George Walker Bush III territory. Babel fish provides no help either.

Who is the goodies and who is the baddies?
September 3rd, 2005 11:18 PM
glencar SS, I did not mean that they should have evacuated the inner city people on buses before the hurricane. But they had a day & a half between the initial event & the walls tumbing down. Why not start busing the people then? No way they would have gotten all of them out but at least a few thousand wouldn't be living & dying in floating fecal matter.

As for the FEMA head, fire him. He isn't up to the task. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff happening behind closed doors in NO & DC.
September 3rd, 2005 11:42 PM
Egbert
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Why is it that the armed gangs of thieves have more rights than the poor, elderly, sick and disenfranchised? These anarchists are hampering the recovery efforts and people loose their lives as a result. If the guard goes in and kills these criminals there will be outrage by the ACLU and far left comparing it to Kent State, Ruby Ridge and Waco. The legal and political culture we have created in this country is truly messed up.

AMEN
September 4th, 2005 12:35 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Jumping Jack wrote:
Why is it that the armed gangs of thieves have more rights than the poor, elderly, sick and disenfranchised? These anarchists are hampering the recovery efforts and people loose their lives as a result. If the guard goes in and kills these criminals there will be outrage by the ACLU and far left comparing it to Kent State, Ruby Ridge and Waco. The legal and political culture we have created in this country is truly messed up.

AMEN

No, no, no, twizzle piss. You have to cite the law that says "armed gangs of thieves" have "more rights" than "the poor, elderly, sick, and disenfranchised" before you go getting all fucking AMEN on it. If you can't cite a law, just name one instance where that has ever fucking happened.

The rest of your hero's pointless, boilerplate slanted hypothetical, well lets just wait and see if any of that happens. Then we can be truly outraged!
September 4th, 2005 12:37 AM
Sir Stonesalot >But they had a day & a half between the initial event & the walls tumbing down. Why not start busing the people then?<

Because they thought the levees were going to hold. They rolled the dice and lost. And there was a pretty good chance that those levees would hold. They held for 36 hours. A few more hours and we aren't even talking about this now. But obviously, they did't get those few more hours.

From what I understand, they were worried most about overflow...not about the levees breaking. When the levees broke, it didn't look like overflow was gonna be too bad.
September 4th, 2005 01:00 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

No, no, no, twizzle piss. You have to cite the law that says "armed gangs of thieves" have "more rights" than "the poor, elderly, sick, and disenfranchised" before you go getting all fucking AMEN on it. If you can't cite a law, just name one instance where that has ever fucking happened.

The rest of your hero's pointless, boilerplate slanted hypothetical, well lets just wait and see if any of that happens. Then we can be truly outraged!

moon, we Texans rescued our dippy neighbors from their worst

we're more prepared for this shit than themselves cause were Texas, and we're the best

Blanco, Nagins, no one to blame, but them

they've know for decades and it sucks

thats just the facts jack

[Edited by Bloozehound]
September 4th, 2005 01:18 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

moon, we Texans rescued our dippy neighbors from their worst

we're more prepared for this shit than themselves cause were Texas, and we're the best

Blanco, Nagins, no one to blame, but them

they've know for decades and it sucks

thats just the facts jack

[Edited by Bloozehound]

Having a wee bit of trouble following the segue there, bloozie, but yes you Texans have tried vainly to prove you're not America's Germany.

Coughing up that Astrodome was big, along with the first tee-pee, Marlon Brando, Pocohontas, and you.....
September 4th, 2005 01:31 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Having a wee bit of trouble following the segue there, bloozie, but yes you Texans have tried vainly to prove you're not America's Germany.

Coughing up that Astrodome was big, along with the first tee-pee, Marlon Brando, Pocohontas, and you.....

moondawg.... take a nap, your struggling bra

September 4th, 2005 07:44 AM
Jumping Jack Democrats would have done better? Weren't they in charge of both New Orleans and Louisiana?

Kerry would have done better? How long does it take to do polling, get the results and change your mind 5 times? He would still be debating "should I or shouldn't I" and asking the UN what to do.

I suspect Hillary would react in a crisis just like Blanco, a crying deer in the headlights.

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
September 4th, 2005 07:25 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Democrats would have done better? Weren't they in charge of both New Orleans and Louisiana?

Kerry would have done better? How long does it take to do polling, get the results and change your mind 5 times? He would still be debating "should I or shouldn't I" and asking the UN what to do.

I suspect Hillary would react in a crisis just like Blanco, a crying deer in the headlights.

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Your 180 degrees from the point. It's now, not yesterday or tomorrow. Any thoughts or discussions of what was, could be, would be, makes zero sense.

Here's some early info for starters.
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9166337/

Rick

September 4th, 2005 08:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot Here's a pretty good article. It seems pretty accurate from my past dealings with both agencies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9166337/
September 4th, 2005 08:53 PM
jb When you need a car, truck or van, who ya gonna call, Maroone!!!
September 4th, 2005 09:28 PM
glencar Well, the Mayor says the water will be gone in 2 weeks. Not months, 2 weeks. Good luck, hambone!
September 4th, 2005 10:10 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Maxmeister wrote:

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9166337/

from the article:

"Among the flaws they cited: Failure to take the storm seriously before it hit and trigger the government's highest level of response. Rebuffed offers of aid from the military, states and cities. An unfinished new plan meant to guide disaster response. And a slow bureaucracy that waited until late Tuesday to declare the catastrophe "an incident of national significance," the new federal term meant to set off the broadest possible relief effort."

Pretty difficult to get help to people when their city's elected brilliance initially denys it

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)