ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hurricane Katrina (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
September 4th, 2005 10:59 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

from the article:

"Among the flaws they cited: Failure to take the storm seriously before it hit and trigger the government's highest level of response. Rebuffed offers of aid from the military, states and cities. An unfinished new plan meant to guide disaster response. And a slow bureaucracy that waited until late Tuesday to declare the catastrophe "an incident of national significance," the new federal term meant to set off the broadest possible relief effort."

Pretty difficult to get help to people when their city's elected brilliance initially denys it

I agree dude. Only you, me, that dumb ass T-shirt wearing mayor, anyone with a computer, all the news networks, Drudge, midgets, Sasquatch, O.J. Simpson, Ted Kaczinski, and people all over the globe, knew this "Katrina" deal was coming down. There is no fucking way the executive branch of the United States of America could have known. I mean, this time it wasn't even in one of those impending disaster Memos the president gets and doesn't read.

Absolution. At all costs. Absolution. At all costs, even your own credibility. Ab so lew shun.

Help me, help help me, Ronnie!
September 4th, 2005 11:12 PM
time is on my side
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I agree dude. Only you, me, that dumb ass T-shirt wearing mayor, anyone with a computer, all the news networks, Drudge, midgets, Sasquatch, O.J. Simpson, Ted Kaczinski, and people all over the globe, knew this "Katrina" deal was coming down. There is no fucking way the executive branch of the United States of America could have known. I mean, this time it wasn't even in one of those impending disaster Memos the president gets and doesn't read.

Absolution. At all costs. Absolution. At all costs, even your own credibility. Ab so lew shun.

Help me, help help me, Ronnie!

Interesting post.
September 5th, 2005 12:01 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Why do you expect the federal gov't to just rush in there saving the day when the locals didn't even have proper contigency plans in place to save themselves

you seem to forget NO wasn't the only city that was hit, this thing stretched from Florida to Texas, huge stretch, lots of damage and aid needed all around

NO and surrounding areas were under MANDATORY evacuation, which basically means: leave NOW or DIE

Now the NO survivors start demanding everyone move heaven and earth to come rescue their asses when they couldn't even take the necessary steps to rescue themselves in the first place, not to mention the at the risk the rescue workers face of getting their heads blown off by mobs while they're trying to help them

can't say I blame any of the first response teams for being reluctant and/or hesitant to go "help out"

not one gawdamned bit

September 5th, 2005 12:35 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Pretty difficult to get help to people when their city's elected brilliance initially denys it<

You need to read that again. It was DHS that rebuffed those offers, not local and state EMA.
September 5th, 2005 01:22 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Why do you expect the federal gov't to just rush in there saving the day when the locals didn't even have proper contigency plans in place to save themselves?

Did you just try to float the doctrine of federalism by me, boy?

Even know what it is?

There is a lot of things that I don't expect, much less WANT the federal government of the United States to do, but CONSERVATIVE as I am, with all the BILLIONS that George Walker Bush III has been spending, YES I do expect them to rush in there and "sav[e] the day when the locals didn't even have proper contingency plans to save themselves?" Read some U.S. law (e.g. recent FEMA acts, the whole clusterfuck of the Homeland Security Act) and you may even agree with me. Fuck, this isn't even debatable except at some geeky law school study group.

quote:
NO and surrounding areas were under MANDATORY evacuation, which basically means: leave NOW or DIE

Now the NO survivors start demanding everyone move heaven and earth to come rescue their asses when they couldn't even take the necessary steps to rescue themselves in the first place, not to mention the at the risk the rescue workers face of getting their heads blown off by mobs while they're trying to help them

can't say I blame any of the first response teams for being reluctant and/or hesitant to go "help out"

ASSUME (Ass U Me) the locals didn't, but then tell me why the administration of George Walker Bush III wasn't SIMILARLY pathetic. Don't answer unless you are able to give a glowing report on the greatness of George Walker Bush III, or at least be an apologist like Riffie does all the time.

Sounds like your beef is with those who didn't get out. You have color issues there dude. In any case, feebs, dweebs, little kids, babies, gimps, Taco Bell employees, guys with brains like George Walker Bush III who weren't born into families where they could be Christened "George Walker Bush III," shoe salesmmen, pregnant women with drunk husbands, fire eaters, retards, spazzes, athsmatics, homos, ole folks, Terri Schiavio vege types, they all have tough times mobilizing sometimes. They INDICATE that to us through their actions. WE tell them WE will take care of them.

We didn't. And its all that fucking mayor of New Orleans fault that 10-15 thousand people are dead in the southeastern United States.....YES!

Black Sabbath "mob rules", Ronnie!
September 5th, 2005 02:44 AM
Bloozehound moonie, stick your race card up your ass

race issues...no

issues with people who choose to live in a city that's below sea level, sandwiched between to huge bodies of water propped up by a decrepit 2oo year old levee system holding it out, not to mention the fact that they've known for decades the impending doom they faced and have done nothing to fix it...yes

not to mention local and state officials who obviously had nothing better in the books to deal with this peril other than "Run!"

Here's the official Louisanna disaster relief manual:

section 1

Run!!!

section 2

go on every tv and radio program available and yell, kick, scream and cry, blaming anybody within earshot in an attempt to cover your ass

section 3

if they don't fall for chapter 2, Run!!!!

The End

September 5th, 2005 02:55 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
moonie, stick your race card up your ass

race issues...no

issues with people who choose to live in a city that's below sea level, sandwiched between to huge bodies of water propped up by a decrepit 2oo year old levee system holding it out, not to mention the fact that they've known for decades the impending doom they faced and have done nothing to fix it...yes

not to mention local and state officials who obviously had nothing better in the books to deal with this peril other than "Run!"

Here's the official Louisanna disaster relief manual:

section 1

Run!!!

section 2

go on every tv and radio program available and yell, kick, scream and cry, blaming anybody within earshot in an attempt to cover your ass

section 3

if they don't fall for chapter 2, Run!!!!

The End

Bloozehound, Excellent post!! If you are ever near NJ I'd be happy to buy you a beer!!!
September 5th, 2005 03:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Meet The Press Broussard video...

Sunday, September 4, 2005

Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard announced on WWL-TV Saturday Night that residents would be allowed back in the Parish on Monday, but must re-evacuate by Thursday. Broussard had promised earlier in the week that residents would be allowed back on Monday, and seems to have managed to cut a deal with the feds to allow this happen.

[VIDEO] :

RUSSERT: You just heard the director of homeland security's explanation of what has happened this last week. What is your reaction?

BROUSSARD: We have been abandoned by our own country. Hurricane Katrina will go down in history as one of the worst storms ever to hit an American coast. But the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina will go down as one of the worst abandonments of Americans on American soil ever in U.S. history. Whoever is at the top of this totem pole, that totem pole needs to be chainsawed off and we've got to start with some new leadership. It's not just Katrina that caused all these deaths in New Orleans here. Bureaucracy has committed murder here in the greater New Orleans area and bureaucracy has to stand trial before Congress now.

"Three quick examples. We had Wal-Mart deliver three trucks of water. FEMA turned them back. They said we didn't need them. This was a week ago. FEMA, we had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel docked in my parish. When we got there with our trucks, FEMA says don't give you the fuel. Yesterday - yesterday - FEMA comes in and cuts all of our emergency communication lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in, he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards and said no one is getting near these lines"

Broussard ended the interview pleading for help with the moving story of how Jefferson Parish Emrgency Director Walter Maestri's mother died in a nursing home after being promised rescue repeatedly for five days.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 5th, 2005 03:44 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
moonie, stick your race card up your ass

Totally unfair, given the previous night's posts. I could have quoted you and that stupid shit you posted, but I didn't because I like you.

Turn that shit around on me? Fuck you, nigger.
September 5th, 2005 10:29 AM
glencar
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Meet The Press Broussard video...

Sunday, September 4, 2005

Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard announced on WWL-TV Saturday Night that residents would be allowed back in the Parish on Monday, but must re-evacuate by Thursday. Broussard had promised earlier in the week that residents would be allowed back on Monday, and seems to have managed to cut a deal with the feds to allow this happen.

[VIDEO] :

RUSSERT: You just heard the director of homeland security's explanation of what has happened this last week. What is your reaction?

BROUSSARD: We have been abandoned by our own country. Hurricane Katrina will go down in history as one of the worst storms ever to hit an American coast. But the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina will go down as one of the worst abandonments of Americans on American soil ever in U.S. history. Whoever is at the top of this totem pole, that totem pole needs to be chainsawed off and we've got to start with some new leadership. It's not just Katrina that caused all these deaths in New Orleans here. Bureaucracy has committed murder here in the greater New Orleans area and bureaucracy has to stand trial before Congress now.

"Three quick examples. We had Wal-Mart deliver three trucks of water. FEMA turned them back. They said we didn't need them. This was a week ago. FEMA, we had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel docked in my parish. When we got there with our trucks, FEMA says don't give you the fuel. Yesterday - yesterday - FEMA comes in and cuts all of our emergency communication lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in, he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards and said no one is getting near these lines"

Broussard ended the interview pleading for help with the moving story of how Jefferson Parish Emrgency Director Walter Maestri's mother died in a nursing home after being promised rescue repeatedly for five days.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

TTM, I saw this & Broussard seemed like the world's worst actor. He's just another yahoo making political hay off of this.
September 5th, 2005 01:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
TTM, I saw this & Broussard seemed like the world's worst actor. He's just another yahoo making political hay off of this.

Maybe. But what are the facts?
September 5th, 2005 01:55 PM
FPM C10
quote:
glencar wrote:

Yeah, how awful of him to make up that story about the emergency director's mom drowning on Friday.

Man, I had no idea New Orleans was so full of crybabies!

What a gigantic job the Right has ahead of it - discrediting THOUSANDS of people who blame Bush for any part of the deaths of thousands of American citizens. MAN! However, this is a "can-do" administration, and they'll roll up their sleeves and pass the buck until their arms fall off!
September 5th, 2005 02:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
What a gigantic job the Right has ahead of it - discrediting THOUSANDS of people who blame Bush for any part of the deaths of thousands of American citizens.

That's Rove's job. And he's pretty good at it too.
September 5th, 2005 03:34 PM
the good The BIG story that is going to come out of all this is the TOTAL incompetence of the city government of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana. The governor's of Alabama and Mississippi have said that the Feds were a good partner immediately following the disaster. And nobody complained about the Federal response to all of the hurricanes in Florida last year. So what happened? The independent variable in all of this is Louisiana.
September 5th, 2005 03:37 PM
the good
quote:
glencar wrote:

Yeah, the guys an ass. Why didn't Russert ask him why they didn't go and get this woman who was trapped? And then he said he would like to thank the Governor? FOR WHAT???
September 5th, 2005 09:55 PM
glencar Exactly. When did this nation start deciding that we can't help ourselves until after the cavalry comes?
September 5th, 2005 09:56 PM
monkey_man I’ve seen allegations and insinuations that the reason that FEMA didn’t come to the rescue in Louisiana is that the governor hadn’t asked for help (or hadn’t done so in the required way). This is bollocks – a complete and total lie.

The governor declared a state of emergency on August 26th (the Friday before the Monday the storm hit her state) and formally requested federal assistance at that time. The White House responded the next day and agreed to provide all necessary help. Here is the official declaration from the White House website:

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
August 27, 2005

Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 26, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, West Feliciana, and Winn.

Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent Federal funding.

Representing FEMA, Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, named William Lokey as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: FEMA (202) 646-4600.

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/20050827-1.html

It doesn’t get any clearer than that.

Even if there hadn’t been such an agreement made before the storm hit, isn’t this precisely why an agency like FEMA exists?!? Local governments may be overwhelmed by a disaster and not have the resources or ability at that time to deal with it. If there’s an earthquake or a terrorist attack should we expect that FEMA wouldn’t intervene until we beg them pretty please with a cherry on top in triplicate?
September 5th, 2005 11:36 PM
the good
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
I’ve seen allegations and insinuations that the reason that FEMA didn’t come to the rescue in Louisiana is that the governor hadn’t asked for help (or hadn’t done so in the required way). This is bollocks – a complete and total lie.

The governor declared a state of emergency on August 26th (the Friday before the Monday the storm hit her state) and formally requested federal assistance at that time. The White House responded the next day and agreed to provide all necessary help. Here is the official declaration from the White House website:

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
August 27, 2005

Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 26, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, West Feliciana, and Winn.

Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent Federal funding.

Representing FEMA, Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, named William Lokey as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: FEMA (202) 646-4600.

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/20050827-1.html

It doesn’t get any clearer than that.

Even if there hadn’t been such an agreement made before the storm hit, isn’t this precisely why an agency like FEMA exists?!? Local governments may be overwhelmed by a disaster and not have the resources or ability at that time to deal with it. If there’s an earthquake or a terrorist attack should we expect that FEMA wouldn’t intervene until we beg them pretty please with a cherry on top in triplicate?

The Governor has YET to turn control of the national guard over to the Feds. It was on ABC World News Tonight. She does not know what she is doing. She even had to ask the former head of FEMA to come and act as a go between between the Feds and the state. This has not happened in any of the other states. The confusion is on her end.
September 7th, 2005 02:13 AM
pdog I'm disgusted more, is this possible?

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."
Barbara Bush
September 7th, 2005 05:41 AM
Jumping Jack Government Incompetence

In light of the recent screw ups by local, state and federal governments in New Orleans, the poor post war planning in Iraq, ineptitude of the intelligence departments, inability to control the border, and grounding of the shuttle once again can anyone cite an aspect of our government at any level that has worked well under either party? It seems to be a gigantic welfare system for incompetents who can’t cut it in the private sector. How anyone thinks that more government can be the solution to a problem is beyond me. It seems clear to me that fixing what is wrong and improving cost efficiency should be the focus rather than adding more bureaucracy and further increasing taxes. The goal should be to privatize and downsize as much as possible. It is also clear that the countries with the least government intervention also have the highest standard of living and strongest economies. Does anyone who saw what happened last week really want the government running their health care system?
September 7th, 2005 06:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels NELSON COMES TO THE AID OF FARMERS

WILLIE NELSON's Farm Aid charity is coming to the aid of landowners hit hard by Hurricane Katrina by offering emergency assistance.

The organisation has activated its Family Farm Disaster Fund to encourage donations to provide rural families the help they need to recover from the storm and to continue farming.

Nelson says, "This is a moment when each of us can take stock of what we can offer to everyone affected by this catastrophe, and Farm Aid is in a position to act for farm families.

"Crop and livestock losses will be massive. Many farm buildings were destroyed in the storm and ensuing flooding. A disaster of this magnitude can be a breaking point for many southern family farms."

In addition to funds provided by donors throughout America, Farm Aid has sent an initial $30,000 (GBP16,600) to several of its partner family farm organisations in the Gulf Coast region.

07/09/2005 09:01

September 7th, 2005 12:29 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
The goal should be to privatize and downsize as much as possible.

Umm . . . Enron made it perfectly clear that deregulation doesn't always work. A "private" "free market" corporation ran things and cheated and gamed the system as the politicians in Lay's pocket looked the other way. BTW why isn't Kenny boy in jail yet?

quote:
It is also clear that the countries with the least government intervention also have the highest standard of living and strongest economies.

Umm . . .Holland has some of the highest tax rates around and they have an a very high standard of living. (Their economy could be doing better though)
September 7th, 2005 08:59 PM
Riffhard
quote:
the good wrote:

The Governor has YET to turn control of the national guard over to the Feds. It was on ABC World News Tonight. She does not know what she is doing. She even had to ask the former head of FEMA to come and act as a go between between the Feds and the state. This has not happened in any of the other states. The confusion is on her end.

The blame for this shit will indeed lie at the feet of a governor that is totaly without a clue,and a mayor that is desperatly trying to save his own ass by blaming everyone else but his own office!

Fact #1-The president of the United States called governor Blanco a full 28 hours prior to Katrina making landfall and "strongly recommended" that she(Blanco) order a mandatory evacuation. She hemmed and hawwed for over 24 hours. Then Katrina hit. Too fucking late now governor!

Fact#2-Bush declared a state of emergency before Katrina ever made landfall for La.,Al.,and Miss. This was done to free up federal cash in advance of the hurricane. No other president in the history of this country has ever done that.

Fact #3-Remember that picture of the school and municipal buses? Well guess what? There was,indeed,a plan for those very buses to be used in response to an evacuation order!! That's right,it was written up in the state's own goddamned contingincy plan! It had been written years ago,yet for some reason this plan was never put into place! Why? Because the mayor and the governor could not decide how best to implement the plan! Considering that the clueless governor ignored Bush about the evacuation speaks volumes on this very subject! Even today these two(democrats/clowns)are at odds concerning the mandatory evacuation of New Orleans!!! Pathetic! I fucking knew that those buses were gonna come back to bite these two incompetant fools in the ass,and so it has!! Oh,and get this,Mayor Nagen is now trying to blame Bush for not getting federal buses,and Greyhound buslines down there to help evacuate the very people that his own goddamned plan said would be the most helpless,and was designed to evacuate!! Again,it was in the state's own contingancy plan to use the buses that now they sit flooded,empty,tits on a bull,useless!!!!!

Fact #4-FEMA has never ever been considered a first response mechanisim of the federal goverment! In 1999 for Hurricane Dennis it took FEMA a full four days to get in place in the Carolinas,and they weren't 80% under water! I guess that's Bush's fault too! Oh,wait.....

The federal goverment has alot to answer for to be sure,but the sheer "blame game" that many on the left are playing with this would be laughable if it weren't so damned tragic. Louisianna has been a democrat state for over sixty years now! New Orleans has been a democrat city for decades has well. Yet some refuse to allot any of the blame to the democrats in charge! The people of the USA are not has stupid as the left would like them to be. Slam Bush all you want,but at least hold the local and state goverment to the same level of scrutiny! I have yet to hear fucking Pelosi,Kennedy,Hillary Clinton,and Harry Reid say one thing negative about the way Blanco and Nagen have dropped the ball on this whole affair! Not one fucking word!!! Guess what,neither has Bush! He knows now is not the time to try and play politics even while he is being blamed for everything!

CNNUSATODAYGALLOP POLL finds only 13% of Americans blame the Bush admin for the handeling of Katrina releif efforts!! That must kill these overreaching one trick pony lying liberals!!!

All the Bush haters have raillied around the race card and anything else to use as a political weapon against Bush. Well guess what guys? America sees right fucking through that pathetic attempt! Clean out your own goddamned house before you start trying to shift the blame that so rightfully is now falling on an inept democrat state and local goverment's feet!

A final fact for all those that weren't listening. Some people's insane hatered of anything Bush has them blaming him for everything even when they know,in their heart of hearts,that almost 100% of the fault is because of the incompetance of the La. goverment.

Funny both Mississippi and Alabama are Red States! They had their shit together! Wonder why? Blame game kinda sucks when one bothers to look at the facts,huh?

Riffhard

[Edited by Riffhard]
September 7th, 2005 09:33 PM
Riffhard Here's a very telling and true article from a not so coservative New York Daily News. Remember The Daily News supported Kerry in 2004. So it's nice to see them actully stick to the facts. Kudos to them for not jumping on the "Bush Bash" bandwagon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/344065p-293598c.html

Riffhard
September 7th, 2005 10:20 PM
Riffhard Oh yeah,here's more on the role that the buses were supposed to have played in the event of a statewide catastrophy. You guessed it! The governor and the mayor are fully accountable. Well,I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time to lay all the blame at Bush's feet. Facts,however,are a funny thing. If you lie about them you usually get got,and they got got,(with thanks to Sonny Barger.)

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219

Riffhard
September 8th, 2005 08:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Evacuee Arrested for Panhandling in Ga.
Sep 07 11:24 PM US/Eastern

ATLANTA

A man who fled Louisiana with his family to escape Hurricane Katrina was arrested for asking motorists for money in this city where banning panhandling has been a hotly debated issue.

James Scott says he had slept in a car for days with his brother, sister and her two young children before they decided to ask for help.

Nearly broke, the family drove to Buckhead, an affluent north Atlanta neighborhood Thursday and got out near a shopping mall, hoping for the charity of others.

"It's the most expensive mall in Atlanta," Scott said. "I thought I could get some help."

After a half hour of asking passing motorists for help, Scott was approached by a policeman on a bicycle. Scott showed the officer his Louisiana driver's license, his car tag and his car registration _ proof that he was not a local homeless person, but an evacuee down on his luck in an unfamiliar city. He was arrested for soliciting.

"I asked the cop, 'You can't feel my pain?'" said Scott, who added that another officer gave him $7 as he was taken to jail.

Atlanta Police Department spokesman John Quigley said soliciting on a public sidewalk is allowed, but not in traffic. He said he was not aware of any increase in panhandling arrests in Atlanta since the hurricane.

Last month, Mayor Shirley Franklin signed into law a panhandling ban around tourist destinations in parts of downtown Atlanta, not the area where Scott was arrested. The ordinance drew noisy protests from opponents who declared the ban was a mean-spirited way to hide the city's homeless population.
September 8th, 2005 08:32 AM
Jumping Jack The Atlanta Police Chief was the former Chief in New Orleans, FYI.

BTW, there are many places (Home Depots) in Atlanta for day laborers to gather who are truly looking to work. The one on Sidney Marcus in Buckehead comes to mind. Many people in restaurant business have been absorbed up here where where there is always a shortage manpower.
September 8th, 2005 09:38 AM
glencar I read that Daily News article that Riffy cited above. I still remember when this first hit how many were calling the Mayor a hero. Turns out to be a big zero instead. At least the people are finally all evacuated.
September 8th, 2005 10:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels DR JOHN LOSES NEPHEW IN KATRINA

Veteran blues rocker DR JOHN is devastated after hearing the news his nephew died when Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans.

The SUCH A NIGHT singer, who grew up in the Louisiana city, has been desperately tracking members of his family - he was delighted to hear his daughter and granddaughter are safe, but many of his loved ones are still unaccounted for.

He tells the New York Daily News, "I heard that one nephew was dead and a whole lot of my family is still missing."

08/09/2005 14:06

September 8th, 2005 12:33 PM
glencar http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1102467&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Now they're turning on each other!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)