ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hurricane Katrina (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
August 30th, 2005 01:03 PM
Some Guy They are looting Winn Dixie while posing for the camera on the way out. Damn thats bold.
August 30th, 2005 03:09 PM
Some Guy Not today, Joey...not today.
August 30th, 2005 03:12 PM
Angiegirl It's awful. Imagine losing your home, belongings, neighbourhood, job etc. Let alone your life or the lives of friends/family. Still, if we didn't have this technologie, people would have had no warnings at all and would have been surprised by the storm. Small comfort though.
August 30th, 2005 03:16 PM
Poplar
hard to imagine it's getting worse, even after the storm is gone. what a mess.
August 30th, 2005 03:18 PM
LadyJane I just heard that the city of New Orleans is non functioning and will be for nearly 2 months.

Nothing...no schools...no stores....no gas....no water...no power..officials can only say...."leave while we TRY to rebuild"....two weeks minimum to pump out the water.

Nursing homes trying to evacuate the elderly...no oxygen at hospitals....devastating.

A sad sad day for the Southeast United States.

LJ.
August 30th, 2005 03:21 PM
glencar Wow! I was only in NOLA once but I loved the place. I hope the 2 month estimate is longer than it takes. Mother Nature is one mean bitch.
August 30th, 2005 03:35 PM
Jumping Jack For all those who were critical about how much the US gave in Tsunami relief in the first few days compared with their countries I ask how much those same countries will give to this relief effort?

The loss of life may not be as high, but the economic devastation may be far greater.

Are poor people in the Southeast Asia more worthy of relief efforts than the poor in the Southeastern US?

Food for thought. Is humanitarian relief a one way street?
August 30th, 2005 03:41 PM
nankerphelge Very very sad to see NO all flooded. Howe horrible for everyone there. Wonder if the Stones will announce the NO show now -- maybe donate some $$!
August 30th, 2005 03:47 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
For all those who were critical about how much the US gave in Tsunami relief in the first few days compared with their countries I ask how much those same countries will give to this relief effort?

The loss of life may not be as high, but the economic devastation may be far greater.

Are poor people in the Southeast Asia more worthy of relief efforts than the poor in the Southeastern US?

I thought about that. I just hope we can get it together down there. I fear gas will rise over 3 bucks a gallon easily.
August 30th, 2005 04:05 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

I fear gas will rise over 3 bucks a gallon easily.

Agreed !

The price of gasoline most likely will go even higher once Israel bombs Iran's brand new nuclear reactor ( read : accompanying Oil Embargo ) .

There is now NO DOUBT in my mind that Bushie43's Presidency will end the way Richard Nixon's did --- resignation !

" The Republicans don't really like the guy either Ronnie ! "

Joey Ford ( see : August , 1974 -- Just before the mid - term elections ) !

[ Edited by Milhouse ]

[Edited by Joey]
August 30th, 2005 04:29 PM
Some Guy Joseph, please elaborate.

The price of gasoline most likely will go even higher once Israel bombs Iran's brand new nuclear reactor ( read : accompanying Oil Embargo ) .
August 30th, 2005 04:33 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Joseph, please elaborate.

Some Guy .....................................

It is my sincere belief that Israel will SOON take matters into their own hands and bomb the living crap out of Iran's Nuclear Reactor ( almost finished ) .

Once that happens , Iran will respond and strike the United States with the ONLY weapon they have : a COMPLETE cutoff on all sales of crude to the United States !

" Once these things get started not even Jesus Christ can stop them Ronnie ! "

Spatz !

[Edited by Joey]
August 30th, 2005 05:41 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Not today, Joey...not today. "

<------- Come To Joey

|
|
|
|
V

Joey, are you part Native American like me?
In our culture, we don't mourn over natural disasters.
August 30th, 2005 06:24 PM
the good So much suffering. But it could have been much worse...

By MATT CRENSON
AP National Writer

news://newsclip.ap.org/[email protected]

In terms of economic damage and lives lost, Katrina may turn out to be one of the worst hurricanes in U.S. history.

But the storm actually turned out to be much less powerful than predicted. Meteorologists say a puff of dry air coming out of the Midwest weakened Katrina just before it reached land, transforming a Category 5 monster into a less-threatening Category 3 storm.

The last-minute gust also pushed Katrina slightly to the east of its Big Easy-bound trajectory, sparing New Orleans a direct hit _ though not horrendous harm.

"It was kind of an amazing sequence of events," said Peter Black, a meteorologist at the Hurricane Research Division of the federal government's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory.

On Sunday, meteorologists watched in awe as one of the most powerful hurricanes they had ever seen churned northward over the Gulf of Mexico on a direct bearing for New Orleans. Fed by unusually warm waters in the central gulf, Katrina easily pumped itself up to a Category 5 monster, with top winds approaching 175 mph. That afternoon a National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration aircraft flying through the storm pegged its minimum barometric pressure at 902 millibars, making Katrina the fourth most powerful hurricane ever observed.

But by the time it reached land Monday, Katrina was no stronger than any of a dozen or more hurricanes that have hit the United States in the past century. Hurricane Camille had a substantially lower central pressure when it slammed into Mississippi in 1969. Hurricane Charley blasted the Sunshine State with higher winds when it came ashore near Tampa last year.

So if it wasn't so powerful, how did Hurricane Katrina inflict so much destruction?

The storm's sheer size was one factor. As powerful as Hurricane Charley was, that storm's swath of destruction was only about 10 miles wide. Katrina battered everything from just west of New Orleans to Pensacola, Fla., a span of more than 200 miles. At noon Monday, hurricane force winds extended to 125 miles from Katrina's center.

"This storm was quite a bit larger, so the extent of the damaging wind field would have covered a much larger geographic area," said Marc Levitan, a professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Louisiana State University.

Geography also played a role in the hurricane's destructiveness. The Gulf of Mexico's northern fringe is an extremely shallow shelf extending up to 120 miles offshore. That makes the region's coastline extremely vulnerable to the storm surges that hurricanes create as their winds and low pressure pile up water and push it ashore.

And Katrina was moving fairly slowly, about 12 to 15 mph. That gave the storm surge more time to build up as the hurricane approached the coast and then moved inland.

Those circumstances made Katrina "nearly a worst-case scenario," said Hurricane Research Division meteorologist Stanley Goldberg. Some witnesses reported storm surges of more than 25 feet along the Mississippi coast, among the highest ever recorded. The waters around New Orleans rose as much as 22 feet.

But the catastrophic sequence of events that appeared highly likely on Sunday afternoon _ a Category 5 hurricane washing over the Big Easy's ramparts and filling it like a bowl _ did not come to pass.

Instead, a different scenario unfolded. Several levees failed on Tuesday, unleashing floods that placed the city of 480,000 in peril long after Hurricane Katrina had dissipated.

August 30th, 2005 11:28 PM
keefkid I was watching yesterday about it and it looked like the Quarter was spared but today I read another levee was breached, the superdome is flooding and they need to evacuate the evacuates that are already there, Canal Street is now a real canal, people are looting all over, breaking into jewelery stores, etc, the water that is trapped in the bowl (New Orleans) is totally polluted and poisonous, they are boating around trying to save people and are just pushing dead bodies out of the way...this is our Tsunami people - donate whatever you can anyway you can. I wonder if we can expect any help from other countries with this, but I doubt it...

i am really crying here...

Here is the link again someone posted this on rs.com, they need so much help down south right now...

Please Donate To the Redcross www.redcross.org donations as low as $5.00 are taken. Every dollar COUNTS!

Americans donated millions of dollars to the Tsunami victims in SE Asia, we should be able to donate at least that much to help in our own country...and with all the $$ we have all spent on the Rolling Stones, dont think $5 is too much to ask...people need our help

August 31st, 2005 12:04 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
For all those who were critical about how much the US gave in Tsunami relief in the first few days compared with their countries I ask how much those same countries will give to this relief effort?

Exemplar useless use of utility of the rhetoric. Displayed here live on Rocks Off. To whom is this tool in the hands of retards directed? Not even the author really fucking knows. And who fucking cares? Rhetorically that is. But it is alive here on Rocks Off, and EXACTLY at the moment in time when it was needed the most. And that is good to see.
August 31st, 2005 01:43 AM
gypsy Hey, homey!
My rap: "If I was down there, I'd be a looter. I'd send Riffy a laptop computer."
August 31st, 2005 02:49 AM
Monkey Woman It's terrible... Every day brings bad news. All my sympathy go to the victims and their families and all the people who suffered in the wake of that disaster. Who cares for rethoric, this Katrina was a bitch and her coming a sad day for America.

There is extra poignancy for Stones fans, because this is where their musical inspiration comes from: Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas...
August 31st, 2005 06:02 AM
Jumping Jack Sirmoonie,

I remember the comments on this board quite clearly in the days after the tsunami hit. I saw no apologies or retractions for those outrageous comments when the donations (government and private) were totalled. I am also well aware of how little the Arab countries gave despite record oil profits. Will there be similar outpouring of charity and chastising of cheap or slow paying countries this time?

Speaking of record profits, since Bono, U2, Macca and the Stones are getting richer in America this year, will they care as much about the poor people who lost everything in LA & MS as they do about corrupt African dictators?

August 31st, 2005 07:28 AM
glencar
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
It's terrible... Every day brings bad news. All my sympathy go to the victims and their families and all the people who suffered in the wake of that disaster. Who cares for rethoric, this Katrina was a bitch and her coming a sad day for America.

There is extra poignancy for Stones fans, because this is where their musical inspiration comes from: Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas...

I actually thought about that last part too. What a horrible thing to happen.
August 31st, 2005 09:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels New Orleans' joie de vivre will lift city up from Katrina

Spud Hilton, Chronicle Staff Writer/SF Chronicle
Wednesday, August 31, 2005

It's a town that celebrates living more than any other -- a direct result of New Orleans having mourned longer and more often than most.

No other metropolis has the close, almost loving relationship with death that New Orleans has. It is home to renowned cemeteries, deeply haunted neighborhoods, a history of grisly cruelty and its own unique brand of funeral ceremony that grieves with an exhale and exults with the next breath.

The unique vitality that comes from being closely associated with mortality is a large part of what makes a city that is at once laid-back and hard-partying, a town that Herb Caen would have dubbed Baghdad by the Bayou and is as close to San Francisco as you will find in the South.

New Orleans seduces with sweet Southern ease, European antiquity, Caribbean pageantry and the fact that you're never more than a few hours from a party and rarely farther than a few blocks from the best meal you've had in years. It is a special blend, born of a cultural and ethnic stew that makes "melting pot" both cliche and understatement.

To walk the cobblestone rues of Vieux Carré, the French Quarter, in the morning is to witness death and renewal -- the last strains of the previous night's mayhem and shopkeepers and horse carriages playing the opening chorus of a new day.

Like most of the city, the Quarter is wrought iron and music and voodoo: forged to withstand tremendous forces, born at the crossroads of suffering and creativity, and a way of life that, to survive, disguises itself within convention.

The Big Easy's magic isn't confined to its most-popular neighborhood. Outside the Quarter, away from the armies of tourists and everyday-is-Mardi- Gras crowd, life is still different than anywhere else. High finance in the downtown is imbued with hospitality; genteel society meetings in the Garden District are epic events; and the funky, slightly dangerous vibe in the Faubourg Marigny attracts the city's next generation.

The palpable lust for living that hangs in the air throughout much of New Orleans (often mistaken for humidity) is a kind of magic, not the fabricated, choreographed kind from Disneyland, but something ancient and naturally occurring.

It's in Mardi Gras. It's in parades. It's in every Saturday night, when thousands sidle up to bars for music and a lethal red concoction called a Hurricane.

It's in the jazz that, by its invention here, is so much a part of New Orleans, a music born almost entirely from suffering, a method of escape from suffering and the hope of a much better life after this one. Jazz is the cornerstone of the New Orleans funeral parade -- the slow somber procession to the graveyard accompanied by a mournful "Closer Walk With Thee" or "Flee as a Bird," followed by a joyous chorus, the dominant strain of which is "Didn't he ramble? He rambled till the butcher cut him down."

Hurricane Katrina is the latest brush with death -- the worst since her Great-Aunt Betsy rained catastrophe in 1965 -- a reminder that sometimes the Big Easy is difficult.

In its early years, yellow fever claimed tens of thousands, including 8, 000 in 1853 alone. The fires of 1788 and 1794 each left the town a smoldering heap and killed hundreds, and the city is no stranger to plague. Because of the city's precarious location between the Mississippi River and the huge Lake Pontchartrain, graveyards were raised above ground (although bodies were often left behind, meaning that almost every building in the French Quarter is built on top of graves). All along, the river has been New Orleans' harshest mistress, providing it with riches while at times exacting a terrible price.

No one in New Orleans forgets these disasters -- they're part of the culture that enthralls everyone who spends a wild night or a quiet morning in its streets. With Katrina, there has been death and there will be suffering, but New Orleans isn't ready for the slow march to "Closer Walk With Thee."

It probably never will be.
August 31st, 2005 10:01 AM
Moonisup Maybe it's a silly question, but last night I saw the devistation from katrina, but 2 nights ago, also a docu about Andrew from 1992. Everytime I see these wooden houses. And none of them from stone. Why won't they build stone houses, they are capable of surviving a hurricane.

Rik
August 31st, 2005 10:25 AM
Jumping Jack Residental construction in this area is driven by economics rather than safety. CMU construction should be a minimum. Many of the commercial and engineered building inventory predates the modern wind codes.

The bigger question for a city under sea level is why the levees that were only desined for a Cat 3 storm and never retrofitted for Cat 5 and redundant berms built? Governmental incompetence is why. People don't get elected for spending money on infrastructure.

As Angiegirl pointed out, the problem is not limited to the US. Levees and dams exist around the world and are vulnerable to the effects of both nature and man. Don't forget they are as vulnerable to evil doers as well as irresponsible politicians.
August 31st, 2005 10:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Entire article here
http://www.herald-sun.com/firstnews/37-640761.html

"Experts have warned about New Orleans' vulnerability for years, chiefly because Louisiana has lost more than a million acres of coastal wetlands in the past seven decades. The vast patchwork of swamps and bayous south of the city serves as a buffer, partially absorbing the surge of water that a hurricane pushes ashore.

Experts have also warned that the ring of high levees around New Orleans, designed to protect the city from floodwaters coming down the Mississippi, will only make things worse in a powerful hurricane. Katrina is expected to push a 28-foot storm surge against the levees. Even if they hold, water will pour over their tops and begin filling the city as if it were a sinking canoe.

After the storm passes, the water will have nowhere to go.

In a few days, van Heerden predicts, emergency management officials are going to be wondering how to handle a giant stagnant pond contaminated with building debris, coffins, sewage and other hazardous materials.

"We're talking about an incredible environmental disaster," van Heerden said.

He puts much of the blame for New Orleans' dire situation on the very levee system that is designed to protect southern Louisiana from Mississippi River floods.

Before the levees were built, the river would top its banks during floods and wash through a maze of bayous and swamps, dropping fine-grained silt that nourished plants and kept the land just above sea level.

The levees "have literally starved our wetlands to death" by directing all of that precious silt out into the Gulf of Mexico, van Heerden said."

August 31st, 2005 12:07 PM
texile new orleans is a national treasure - as a southerner....
there's a ceratin pride in perseverance and this is no exception; i was in alicia, parents made it through carla -but it was nothing like this..
the gods will rain down, but it can't kill the spirit.....i had to do a story on a local shelter here in texas - people were barbequeing....one kid was playing the piano - the rest of the kids were having a great time - the adults were trying to hold it together, and everybody was trying to make the best of it..
god bless
August 31st, 2005 12:13 PM
egon don't have tv myself, so didn't see any images
but do read the papers. what a mess.
mother nature can be very powerful & scary
all the best ot everyone overthere!
August 31st, 2005 01:04 PM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:
don't have tv myself, so didn't see any images
but do read the papers. what a mess.
mother nature can be very powerful & scary
all the best ot everyone overthere!

The only bright spot in all this mess is that the high cost of gasoline is the beginning of the end of Bushie43's Presidency . Word !

Sassy !
August 31st, 2005 01:09 PM
glencar I've seen some photo floating around of two cars under a mountain of bricks. The clapboard housing isn't great and even brick housing doesn't always stand up.
August 31st, 2005 01:10 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've seen some photo floating around of two cars under a mountain of bricks. The clapboard housing isn't great and even brick housing doesn't always stand up.

I've seen some photo floating around of two of Gypsy's greatest assets . Word !
August 31st, 2005 01:14 PM
glencar Joey, focus: national tragedy.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)