ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

From the book "Ode to a High Flying Bird
© 1960 Charlie Watts with special thanks to The Juf!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: another "what are you listening to" thread... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
May 7th, 2004 01:43 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

Safe As Milk - Captain Beefheart

A recently acquired mono mix of this record has had me playing it almost constantly over the past three days. So incredibly good!

Factory no place for me, boss man! Leave me be!

Also:

Canned Heat Blues -- Tommy Johnson

Oh, and I recently posted on the board that Jerry Lee Lewis's last great studio album was recorded in 1972, but I was wrong.

The soundtrack to Great Balls of Fire is a terrific record (Killer gets in a cutting contest with his Sun Recordings and comes out smelling like the rose) and it was recorded in 1989.

Demerit points for a duet with Dennis Quaid, but otherwise solid.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
May 7th, 2004 01:48 PM
jb Why do you guys listen to that stuff..it's so unstonesy.
May 7th, 2004 01:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
Why do you guys listen to that stuff..it's so unstonesy.

LOL!
May 7th, 2004 02:23 PM
FPM C10 I've been listening to a disk I burned that's half Carter Family and half Stanley Brothers. That's some good shit.

May 7th, 2004 02:28 PM
Tom Steppenwolf - For Ladies Only
May 8th, 2004 11:43 AM
Scottfree
quote:
Joey wrote:

Handsome Girls ( Disc # 1 )
Stones - Tokyo ' 90
WHO Live ( MSG '00 )
Steely Dan Live ( Camden '03 )
Joni Mitchell's Greatest hits ( WWWWWWWWWWWWWWhat ?!?!?! )

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

D. J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !

Tokyo 90 rules u bastard......10K light years is an amzing dirty groove, via Keef
May 8th, 2004 11:43 AM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:
Why do you guys listen to that stuff..it's so unstonesy.

May 8th, 2004 11:56 AM
mac_daddy Banyan [preparing my recording from the other night to be released upon the masses ]

_____

when I am finished, I plan to listen to the Place Pigalle 4 disc set that I just received!!!
May 8th, 2004 12:32 PM
stewed & Keefed Today.

Goats Head Soup
Place Pigalle vol 3
Raw Sianna - Savoy Brown
Fun House - The Stooges
May 8th, 2004 11:03 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:
It's funny how many of you claim to be Stones fans but listen to other music...

Sorry my brother, but what's the relation? I mean, why couldn't I listen to likes of Deep Purple, being a Rolling Stones' addicted?
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
May 8th, 2004 11:06 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Listening to the new Toots CD with special guest on it.

My favorite songs:

The first one with Willie Nelson -- can't remember the title.
Pressure Drop (with Clapton)
54-46 Was My Number (with Jeff Beck)
and of course, Careless Ethiopians (with Keef).

Great album, I highly recommend it.
May 8th, 2004 11:14 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
Listening to the new Toots CD with special guest on it.

My favorite songs:

The first one with Willie Nelson -- can't remember the title.
Pressure Drop (with Clapton)
54-46 Was My Number (with Jeff Beck)
and of course, Careless Ethiopians (with Keef).

Great album, I highly recommend it.

Thanks M.O.W.A.T. for the tip!

Cheers!
May 9th, 2004 12:56 PM
Bloozehound Watched Ladies and Gentlemen last night for first time in ages.
May 9th, 2004 01:21 PM
sirmoonie Kicking on the deck with a "nooner" and my new speakers. Programmed in:

1. Who - Odds and Sods (Remastered) - This is just fantastic, essential to any Who fan (i.e., any music fan) - new songs, new order to reflect chronology, cool liner notes, nice crisp Who sound. Their most underrated album, all mongoed up!

2. Sticky Fingers

3. "Beat This" - Best of the English

4. Dylan - Desire - Hadn't spun this in years. Forgot how much I liked it, Isis, Hurricane, that goofy Mozambique, and even that song called Joey.

5. Kinks - Give the People What They Want
May 9th, 2004 02:33 PM
stewed & Keefed Today

Stars in the sky never lie
Brussels Affair
Free - Tons of sobs
May 9th, 2004 02:36 PM
chris girard Jethro Tull-- remastered
May 9th, 2004 03:05 PM
Factory Girl Today-Live Dylan.

Yesterday- Iggy dvd (Live In Detroit 2003), Alice In Chains Unplugged dvd, Dylan dvd, Stones dvd.
May 9th, 2004 03:10 PM
Jumacfly Sporto kantes
Van Hunt "dust"

just my imagination / handsome girls 1

May 10th, 2004 02:02 PM
stewed & Keefed Today

Jack Dupree - Junkers Blues
The best Of Slim Harpo
May 10th, 2004 02:15 PM
Joey

Today :

1. ) Mick Taylor Live in Sweeden ( sic )
2. ) Stones -- Circus Krone '03
3. ) WHO -- MSG 2000
4. ) Captain and Tennille's Greatest Hits

{ CA - RACK }

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JAZZY JOE JOE !!!!!!
May 10th, 2004 09:27 PM
mac_daddy

Kraftwerk
Coachella Music & Arts Festival
Indio, California
5-1-04

Source: Master Audience DAT (DPA 6040's > Sony PCM-1)
Lineage: Sony PCM-1 > Tascam CD-RW5000 ( 7Pin Digi > Coax In) > CD > Peak 3.21 on G4 PowerBook (Extraction, normalization, tracking). xACT 1.2 (Verify SBE OK, generate .md5, compress to flac, generate fingerprint, and verify).

Taped, Transfered and Seeded by: SBDJohnny/BoldCaptain

Setlist:
01. Theme Music > Vocoder intro - 4:42.43
02. The Man-Machine - 8:04.01
03. Expo 2000 - 4:48.01
04. Tour de France 2003 - 4:49.27
05. Tour de France - 5:31.02
06. Autobahn (short) - 5:47.08
07. Radioactivity (with slow intro - )6:42.14
08. Trans Europe Express - 9:45.00
09. Numbers > Computer World - 7:26.48

FIRST ENCORE:
10. The Robots - 5:43.15

SECOND ENCORE:
11. Aero Dynamik - 6:37.05
12. Musique Non Stop - 9:50.13

TOTAL= 79:46.27

[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 10th, 2004 11:11 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Make me Sweat by Savoy Brown, what a great album!
May 11th, 2004 12:18 AM
BILL PERKS SAY YOU WILL-FLEETWOOD MAC
May 11th, 2004 01:33 AM
beer
quote:
Joey wrote:

Today :

4. ) Captain and Tennille's Greatest Hits

i really hope your joking, Joey. if i knew your emoticon page, i would definetly post that little smiley that's waving his finger in a negative way.
May 11th, 2004 12:59 PM
steel driving hammer

An artist who has toiled away making "blues revivalist" records, Corey Harris now presents Mississippi to Mali, his latest thesis that the blues actually started in Africa, not somewhere deep in the South. Harris took the late, great Alan Lomax's important blueprint of field recording and applied it to Ry Cooder's worldly practice of collaboration. In the process, he created an historical concept record destined to claim its rightful place as an important milestone in recorded history.

Track to track, Harris fleshes out the African blues-root theory. It's a concept that has been bandied about by musicologists and learned music scholars the world over. Problem always was it was difficult to prove to the public. It's safe to say that there never existed a tangible-enough explanation for Africa as the root of blues. Even Lomax believed that the blues sprang from the Mississippi Delta. So Harris took it upon himself to rectify that gaping hole by driving the first nail in the bridge. And it makes Mississippi to Mali an incredibly important--and convincing--document that has been missing for far too long.

Book-ended by two beautiful Harris solo pieces (the original, finger-picked instrumental "Coahoma" and the slide-heavy "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground"), the album's meat gives the listener an educational duality unlike any other modern album I've heard, blues or otherwise. This is not a compilation. This is live, field-recorded blues from up on the porch and under the trees.

By far and away this is the most interesting record I've had the pleasure of plundering in a while. And as a reviewer, I tried like hell to come up with a singular tune, or group of tunes, that could somehow be fleshed out for purposes of describing the album's essence. Looking at the track listing, and then hearing the song played, engrossed me further into euphoric confusion. The problem I had was a good one--one song is hardly the point of all this. Harris' song choices and tracking masterfully blur the lines between what's African and what's American. Which is exactly the point of the record: every song becomes another fact that backs up this hypothesis.

The songs are fresh and spontaneous without feeling forced. Harris' haunting and real-blues moan is a constant. Others chip in on vocals, but the guest shots are notable for the adept musicianship. Master African-blues guitarist Ali Farka Toure plays the njarka (a one-stringed violin) on his original song named after the instrument (and on other tunes as well). Percussionist Souleyman Kane clomps the West African calabash with a necessary looseness to flesh it out. Yet perhaps the biggest benefit of the record is hearing some of the songs filled out by a chorus of birds ("Tamalah") and insects (the traditional "Rokie"), proof positive that music is the universal language.

The album is dedicated to the late Otha Turner, who died just a week before his turn on the album came up. Taking his place, however, is his young granddaughter, Sharde Thomas. Just 12 years old at the time of the recording, she led her grampa's Rising Star Fife and Drum Band through a raucous and fun rendition of "Back Atcha." The young voice sounds it, and a missed vocal cue confirms it, but the confidence and thrust of this little voice is a Grammy-worthy performance that will become notable through the years. Bobby Rush dedicates his own easy-wheezy harmonica through Harris' shout-out "Mr. Turner."

Mississippi to Mali is an impressive effort from Harris that deserves serious attention. Unfortunately, he just barely hit the tail end of the contrived "Year of the Blues," missing out on the same wave that helped O Brother, Where Art Thou? succeed. This album isn't just for people who dig old-time blues and African music. But I'm biased--I got into vintage blues a long time ago, and I discovered African music a few years ago. So, for me, it's only natural to keep on digging it--and to want other people to dig it along with me. If this CD came out a year ago it would have soared. So for now, Mississippi to Mali demands your attention and comes highly recommended.

Word/Mother/Deep.

May 11th, 2004 02:00 PM
Joey
quote:
beer wrote:

i really hope your joking, Joey. if i knew your emoticon page, i would definetly post that little smiley that's waving his finger in a negative way.

May 11th, 2004 02:08 PM
stewed & Keefed Today

Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes - Live at the Greek
May 11th, 2004 02:09 PM
Some Guy Outkast- bitch.
May 11th, 2004 03:53 PM
F505 Right now: My Blakean Year (Trampin') Patti Smith
May 11th, 2004 06:26 PM
T&A today:

some Blind Willie McTell and Byther Smith's "Mississippi Kid." Byther is a very cool blues guitarist who had to flee to Europe to find an audience.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17