ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

From the book "Ode to a High Flying Bird
© 1960 Charlie Watts with special thanks to The Juf!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: another "what are you listening to" thread... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
July 21st, 2004 09:42 AM
FotiniD Listening to a home-made compilation of summer holiday songs Which includes everything you can imagine, from Toto to Robbie Williams and from Don Henley to Dirty Dancing soundtrack songs lol

You see, it had to be a cd for all the family to listen to, while on the road to the port etc. You get the picture I repeatedly tried to add in some Stones, but my family threatened to throw me out of the car, saying that I always bring Stones cd's... Now that's just an overstatement

By the way, I saw a video on mtv last night, I *think* it must have been the Hives. One with a white backdrop and the band in suits and a huge crossword thing. I know it's old news, but that lead singer sure wants to be Mick Jagger I mean, the way he posed, the hand on his waist, the eye-rolling, the way he held the microphone... jeez!! Pretty scary! (but in a nice way ) But it's fun to see that other young people also like the Stones, and you know what they say about imitation and flattery! I sort of enjoyed it
July 21st, 2004 10:37 AM
Zeeta I am listening to SKA at the moment! Especially The Specials and The Selecter. The Selecter's - "Three Minute Hero" really is something else!
July 21st, 2004 11:02 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
scratched wrote:
'New Orleans Funk' compilation on Soul Jazz records.

Addictive.

Hey Scratched -- if you love New Orleans Funk and you haven't checked out its companion volume, Saturday Night Fish Fry, you should! Soul Jazz is a truly great label.

Mac_Daddy -- I have toiled in the vinyl/cd fields for years and years now, luckily under my own employ. I would have gone quite mad years ago should I have been working for some other joker than meshelf.

Currently -- Buddy Holly, live 1958, from a bootleg on "Cricket Records", circa the mid 70s.

July 21st, 2004 11:52 AM
scratched
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Hey Scratched -- if you love New Orleans Funk and you haven't checked out its companion volume, Saturday Night Fish Fry, you should! Soul Jazz is a truly great label.

Thanks Nasty, have been eyeing that particular volume up for some time and think I might aquire it. The Soul Jazz shop itself is just down the road...hmmmmmm...

Cheers!
July 21st, 2004 08:05 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

sia - this is the cover of the ep "what a feeeling." do you recognize the cover shot? someone here uses it as an avatar

yeah mac_d

just getting back to my query 'tho

i'm familiar with the version from a boot entitled "not guilty" (also features We Had it All & It won't be long)

you mentioned two versions - are there any big differences??

cheers man
July 21st, 2004 09:11 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

yeah mac_d

just getting back to my query 'tho

i'm familiar with the version from a boot entitled "not guilty" (also features We Had it All & It won't be long)

you mentioned two versions - are there any big differences??

cheers man

OK...

i sent the cover to voodoo because a) we were talking about it, and b) because it looks to be the pic gypsy has cropped and uses for her avatar...

here is the info on the source that i have the two takes of "what a feeling" i included it all a) because it makes an interesting read and b) because it directly answers your question...

"The first take is generally Keith on the piano, with subsequent takes that have added guitar and additional harmony: all by Keith.
Keith Richards
"Toronto Blues"
March 12, 1977, 1980 & 81

These are among some of the most poignant songs ever recorded by a rock-n-roller. I put
this CD together years ago from some old LPs I had. I have not removed any pops or
crackles as I enjoy the nostalgia of "listening to records," and in fact it adds to the mood
and listening enjoyment of these tracks. Most of these songs were recorded during
Keith's drug bust in Canada in 1977. He was in a desperate state because it looked like
he was going to spend time in prison. The sessions started the night before the
sentencing on March 12, 1977. Victor Bockris writes:

"Richards went into Interchange Studios . . .and recorded five songs . . . The most
remarkable aspect of these recordings was Keith's rusty, high-pitched voice, which had
never been heard sounding like this on record . . .The years of smoking, drinking and
staying up for days singing and talking had added layers too-his defensive, noncommittal,
negative adolescent voice which had given way to the keenly expressive, edge-of-tears
sound of a man straining to give vent to his emotions. . . Listening to him sing . . . one got
the feeling that Keith had thrown his whole being into the sessions and was finally
unleashing emotions he had never expressed verbally. This was the closest he had come
to expressing how fragile and tortured he often felt."

There are a couple of takes of most of the Toronto songs. The first take is generally
Keith on the piano, with subsequent takes that have added guitar and additional harmony:
all by Keith. The other tunes were recorded a few years later in 1981 at Longview
Farms.

" . . . he sat down at the piano and started to play a sentimental . . . ballad . "I suppose
you think it's all fun being me. Listen, I never get a chance to sing by myself like this,
play the piano, without some bastard weirding out and asking me why I wasn't playing
the guitar and looking mean . . . I bet you didn't think I could play the piano, did you? Or
sing classics from the thirties? Well, I can.""

The CD closes with 2 great tracks from the Compass Point Studios during the recording
for the "Emotional Rescue" album. On track 19 Keiths "gold-labelled vocals glide
competently over what is quite a sentimental song." On track 20 we get "a classic out-
take featuring a 'one-sided duet' between Keith Richards and an unknown female artist.
Seemingly written by Keith . . . it is a splendid ballad full of soulful ramblings.

Enjoy this very personal look at these never meant to be released recordings.

Tracks:
01. Sing Me Back Home #1
02. She Still Comes Around
03. Worried Life Blues #1
04. Apartment # 9 - #1
05. Sat It's Not You #1
06. Honey Don't
07. Blue Monday
08. What a Feeling #1
09. All I Have to do is Dream
10. The Nearness of You
11. Whole lotta Shakin'
12. Sing Me Back Home #2
13. Say It's Not You #2
14. Apartment # 9 - #2
15. What a Feeling #2
16. Sing Me Back Home #3
17. Apartment #9 - #3
18. Worried Life Blues #2
19. We Had it All
20. Let's Go Steady
July 21st, 2004 09:49 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks mac_d

re the photo from the cover - it's a great shot - and brings to mind a quote of anita from, i think, the bokris book where she talks about herself and keith from '67 through to the early seventies along the lines of "we were young, we were rich, we were beautiful...we were flying" - dreams are made of stuff such as this...indeed, they "had it all"

July 22nd, 2004 07:00 PM
Bloozehound the fabulous thunderbirds - butt rockin'
July 22nd, 2004 07:03 PM
F505 I really dig Jimmie Vaughan!
July 22nd, 2004 08:02 PM
stewed & Keefed Today;

Rattus Norvegicus - The Stranglers
New York Dolls
Some Girls
July 26th, 2004 07:58 PM
Gazza "Hot Fuss", the new album by The Killers

Very good on first couple of listens,and includes "All The Things That I've Done" which is far and away the best song I've heard all year and which is rapidly wearing out the 'repeat' button my CD player. Download this if you havent heard it yet. It's a ...well, a killer..of a rocker

Amazed to read they're from Las Vegas as they sound very British.
July 27th, 2004 11:02 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:
Today;

Rattus Norvegicus - The Stranglers

I ignored this record for years and put it on a few days ago to discover to my shock that I loved it. Had no idea they occasionally sounded like the Fall! Good album.

Me:

Swamp Dogg -- Have You Heard This Story??
Blue Collar Soundtrack (Beefheart! Nitzsche! Cooder!)
Dylan -- Tree With Roots, Disc 2 (Under Control! I Forgot to Remember to Forget! TUPELO!)
The Best of Excello Records (AVI comp)

July 27th, 2004 11:53 AM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I ignored this record for years and put it on a few days ago to discover to my shock that I loved it. Had no idea they occasionally sounded like the Fall! Good album.

Yes Nasty it truely is a very underrated album.

Me today

Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - B Sides.
Television - Marquee Moon.
Fear - The Record.

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
July 27th, 2004 09:39 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Best Of Both Worlds - Van Halen
The New York Dolls
All Those Wasted Years - Hanoi Rocks
Anthology - The Beastie Boys
7th of July - The Stones
July 27th, 2004 09:57 PM
mac_daddy tree with roots is great!
July 28th, 2004 12:48 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
tree with roots is great!

Now look here, dear soup, you better feed the cat!
The cat needs feeding, and you're the one to do it!
Get your hat.
Feed the cat.
You ain't goin' nowhere!

Right now:

The Revelons Anthology - late 70s/early 80s NYC punk/new wave combo featuring Television's bass player and Patti Smith's drummer. Initial impression: very exciting. Heads up SS.

July 28th, 2004 07:01 PM
Madafaka DAVID BOWIE - Reality
July 28th, 2004 10:19 PM
Soldatti Let It Bleed
The Doors' Greatest Hits
July 29th, 2004 05:09 AM
stewed & Keefed Today:

Murderdolls - Beyond The Valley Of The Murderdolls
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
July 29th, 2004 08:27 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"Hot Fuss", the new album by The Killers

Very good on first couple of listens,and includes "All The Things That I've Done" which is far and away the best song I've heard all year and which is rapidly wearing out the 'repeat' button my CD player. Download this if you havent heard it yet. It's a ...well, a killer..of a rocker

Amazed to read they're from Las Vegas as they sound very British.

I am intrested in these guys, if you say its good I might buy it. Hmmm.
July 29th, 2004 11:24 AM
Nasty Habits Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks
Rod Stewart -- The Rod Stewart Album
Otis Spann -- Walking the Blues

July 29th, 2004 04:10 PM
Parachute Man Lately been listening to:

The new Faces Box
Lightnin' Hopkins: The Very Best
Handsome Girls
July 29th, 2004 04:43 PM
scratched Last night:

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy
Stones - Love You Live (Disc 1)
JJ Cale - Anthology (Disc 1)
July 31st, 2004 12:53 AM
Water Dragon Coming up on a Blue Full Moon listening to the sounds of cool in the hot nights -

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Wynton Marsalis - The Magic Hour
Compilation w/ - Pure Cool (John Coltrane, Dexter Gordan, et al)
Claude Bolling - Vintage Bolling
Big Audio Dynamite Planet Bad
July 31st, 2004 01:00 AM
mac_daddy now listening to:

antibalas afrobeat orchestra (my recording from last night's performance @ the el rey) - download via Bit Torrent

ras michael and the sons of negus - rastafari dub

phish 4/16/2004 (also my recording)

new earth mud - (i saw this set, and enjoyed it immensely, then and now)

snake oil medicine show - bluegrasstafari... saw these guys at high sierra, as well, and they were the surprise of the weekend for me. like the album title suggests, they fuse(blech - i hate that word) bluegrass and reggae, with a fiddle player/lead singer who is as cute as can be. i said to my buddy as we watched their set four weeks ago that i hope that some a+r guy doesn't ruin her/them. they are an act to watch...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
July 31st, 2004 07:22 PM
Lil Brian A Certain Ratio (Factory Reissues)
Chess Sessions
Rough, Dirty, and Irresistible!
Do You Like Bill Wyman?
STP Rocks Off Vine #1
August 1st, 2004 01:38 AM
beer Wham's Greatest Hit

The absolute best of Menudo

Tiny Tim sings Dark Metal (The Lost Years).

David Hasslehoff "Ich Bin Crappage" (Import from Germany)

Hall And Oates live in Dallas (Import from the dumpster behind my house).

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

August 1st, 2004 03:33 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
beer wrote:
Wham's Greatest Hit

The absolute best of Menudo

Tiny Tim sings Dark Metal (The Lost Years).

David Hasslehoff "Ich Bin Crappage" (Import from Germany)

Hall And Oates live in Dallas (Import from the dumpster behind my house).

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

August 1st, 2004 06:29 AM
Lil Brian Somebody should give BEER a call and see if he's alright.

David Hasselhoff
"Crazy On A Saturday Night"

Yeah ! all right ! hum

Wooo, don't the nighttime make it, man what a show
Whoa, when i really right, yeah, don't the feelings show, baby
Don't the feelings show

'cause i get crazy on a saturday night
Just us baby refers at the sight
Oh, oh, then we'll be crushin', talking is out of fashion, baby
Oh, oh, talking is out of fashion, anytime for crashin', baby

Whoa, ain't the moon a beauty
Man don't it shine
Whoa, ain't the movie, truly
Takin' too much time, baby
Takin' too much time

Oh, oh, then we'll be crushin', talk is out of fashion, baby
Oh, oh, talk is out of fashion, ain't it time for crashing, baby

I get crazy on a saturday night
Oh, oh, oh, oh
I get crazy !
Crazy, crazy, oh crazy ...

August 1st, 2004 02:47 PM
Soldatti Today I was listen Metamorphosis, a little great album.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17