ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

From the book "Ode to a High Flying Bird
© 1960 Charlie Watts with special thanks to The Juf!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: another "what are you listening to" thread... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
July 6th, 2004 05:57 AM
beer
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

you check out the mars volta yet..?
_____

and GHS does get better with age. it also gets better with the mickboy treatment - "Dancing So Free" rocks!

Not yet Mac Daddy, How is the Mars Volta???? Didn't At the Drive In split in 2? Mars VoltA, and some other band? I think the At The Drive In record is incredible.
[Edited by beer]
July 6th, 2004 07:43 AM
Cant Catch Me
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
"Un'Sung' Stories" by Phil Alvin with Sun Ra and his Arkestra and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

Hot Damn!

I am impressed - it has been nearly a couple of decades since I've read or heard anyone mention Sun Ra! Yes, a great deal of really interesting music will be lost because of the transition from vinyl to CD and the increasing concentration of "what's sellable" in the hand of the few.

Wasn't he from Philadelphia?
[Edited by Water Dragon]

Philadelphia? Is that also the name for another planet, or perhaps another galaxy, and not just a city on Earth, the one in the United States, specifically in the state of Pennsylvania?

Because I don't think Sun Ra would have admitted to terrestrial origins. I think he said he was from Plutonia, or something like that!

Check out this, though. When I pulled out the Phil Alvin LP I also grabbed a Sun Ra 12" single called "Nuclear War," cuz I figured it might not have been issued on CD yet. The song itself is a total blast, just like I remembered.

But dig this review of "Nuclear War" from All Music Guide:

"Along with Lanquidity, Nuclear War is one of the rarest discs in Sun Ra's enormous catalog. Recorded in 1982, Nuclear War disappeared until 2001 when the Chicago-based Atavistic label made it part of their exceptional "Unheard Music Series." Originally Ra was so sure the funky dance track was a hit, he immediately took it to Columbia Records, where they immediately rejected it. Why he thought a song with the repeating chant "Nuclear War, they're talking about Nuclear War/It's a motherf***er, don't you know/if they push that button, your ass gotta go/and whatcha gonna do without your ass" would be a hit is another puzzle in the Sun Ra myth."
July 6th, 2004 08:26 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
beer wrote:

Not yet Mac Daddy, How is the Mars Volta???? Didn't At the Drive In split in 2? Mars VoltA, and some other band? I think the At The Drive In record is incredible.
[Edited by beer]

sparta is the other band...

but TMV is pretty solid - I taped them at All Tomorrow's Parties last year. wi would be happy to make you a copy of that, if you like...
July 6th, 2004 10:50 AM
Water Dragon
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:

Philadelphia? Is that also the name for another planet, or perhaps another galaxy, and not just a city on Earth, the one in the United States, specifically in the state of Pennsylvania?

"On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.." W. C. said that, but you are absolutely correct...Sun Ra said he was from Plutonia!

You too, are cooler than a M*F**....have a rocking day!
July 6th, 2004 06:33 PM
stewed & Keefed Tonight.

Sing Brother Sing - Edgar Broughton Band
Velvet Undergroud and Nico
Bongo Fury - Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart
July 6th, 2004 09:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot This is very strange....

I was just listening to my Sun Ra Singles set while mowing the lawn. I come in the house, eat some chow, check out this thread, and what do I find....a discussion about Sun Ra! Too too much.

Right now, I'm listening to the Detroit Cobras. If you don't know the Cobras...well, I feel very very sorry for you. They are a thing of joy.
July 6th, 2004 09:57 PM
beer and now, this:

This morning at around 10:00 or so, i suddenly got this crazy feeling that i should walk downtown, to the park. I used to hang out in this park all the time when i was a teenager, and get high and what not. I had this insane overwhelming feeling that i should walk down there for some reason. So i put a couple beers in my backpack and started walking down there. It's right in the middle of downtown. So i walk into the park, and the very first thing i see, is an older black man sitting on the bench, playin a guitar. As i approached him, i noticed he's fuckin playin Honky Tonk Women! So i asked him if i could sit down and dig his music, he said "sure". So there i am watchin him play everything from Robert Johnson, to Mudddy Waters, to every single Stones song you could imagine. I gave him a beer, and he handed me his guitar, so i taught him how to play Brown Sugar, THEN, all the sudden, a cop rolls up on a bike. i thought for sure he was gonna bust us for drinking in public, BUT, he starts requesting songs! I was pretty buzzed but i started playin Stones Songs for the cop!AND, little kids started to walk up. it was insane. There I am, drunk on a park bench, playin Stones songs for A cop and little kids. This went on for the next 2 hours, me and the blues guy playin for the park people. totally cool! In the end i took him to the music store and bought him 2 sets of guitar strings and a drink at the tavern. this was by far, more productive than any day i've had at work recently.
July 7th, 2004 12:06 AM
Water Dragon Howdy Beer - I really enjoyed reading your anecdote about your day. Have you ever read any Paul Bowles? If you give your blues man friend a name in the live retelling (to your friends and whatnot) it will really come alive. Sounds to me like you had a better day than the rest of us...

SN'K, I see you are listening to Beefheart & Zappa. I hope the bastard that stole my copy way back in the 20th Century is suffering.

Alrighty Senor Stonesalot, Feel sorry for me...chances are I will never get to hear your Detroit muses. Are you familiar with Rotary Connection?

Regards, W.D.
July 7th, 2004 12:20 AM
Sir Stonesalot Rotary Connection....weren't they on Chess? Interacial band...kinda like Sly & The Family Stone. If memory serves me right, the great Minnie Riperton was showcased.

July 7th, 2004 12:31 AM
stonedinaustralia hey beer - great story!!
July 7th, 2004 12:56 AM
Water Dragon
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Rotary Connection....weren't they on Chess? Interacial band...kinda like Sly & The Family Stone. If memory serves me right, the great Minnie Riperton was showcased.

Bingo...and they covered several Stones tunes!
July 7th, 2004 03:43 PM
Joey
I will SOON be listening to my brand new " Bob Weir Starter Kit " entitled : ........................." Weir Here " .
[Edited by Joey]
July 7th, 2004 03:50 PM
Nasty Habits James Booker - The Resurrection of the Bayou Majarajah.

The greatest solo piano rock and roll album ever.
July 9th, 2004 04:31 PM
jend Just been listening to a radio broadcast of The Clash at a French punk fest in 1980. An explosive (and a bit dubby) London's Calling, & harder, more rocking Train in Vian and Somebody Got Murdered.
Fucking great Rock and Roll

Listened to Streetcore again earlier this week - it's just perfect (if anyone wants a copy just ask)
July 10th, 2004 10:37 AM
stewed & Keefed The Black Box 1,2,3,4.
July 10th, 2004 12:11 PM
Water Dragon Howdy Fellow Rockers -

Starting off my Saturday right with:

Equal Rights - Peter Tosh
Taking It Home - Buckwheat Zydeco
Fire on the Bayou - The Meters

then, once my racist neighbors are wide awake,

Little Criminals - Randy Newman
Let The Rough Side Drag - Jesse Winchester

Take a walk on the wild side today!
July 10th, 2004 12:54 PM
mac_daddy readying the release of my recording of steve earle and the blugrass dukes last week...

Steve Earle and the Bluegrass Dukes
High Sierra Music Festival
Plumas Sierra Fairgrounds (Quincy, California)
Grandstand Stage
July 3, 2004

Field: [FOB - HRTF] 2x DPA 4060 (Core-Sound HEBs - powered by Core-Sound switchable batt. box) > Sony SBM-1 (line-in) @ 48 KHz [Oade line stage mod] > Sony TCD-D8 (via 7 pin) > 1x TDK Pro 120 DAT tape

Transfer: Sony TCD-D8 (field deck) > Oade 7pin (passive) > Monster Interlink IDL100 (1m) > maudio ap2496 > WAV > DSP > Resample/Dither (48 > 44.1 kHz) > shntool > FLAC

d1t01 Until The Day I Die [ 3:40]
d1t02 Yours Forever Blue [ 3:23]
d1t03 Graveyard Shift [ 3:03]
d1t04 Carrie Brown [ 5:34]
d1t05 I Still Carry You Around [ 3:25]
d1t06 Willin' [ 4:46]
d1t07 Texas Eagle [ 6:59]
d1t08 Hometown Blues [ 4:46]
_____

d1t09 With a Memory Like Mine [ 6:04]
d1t10 I Have Endured [ 4:53]
_____

d1t11 The Mountain [ 5:29]
d2t01 - Civil War spiel - [ 3:20]
d2t02 Dixieland [ 3:17]
d2t03 Ben McCulloch [ 4:18]
d2t04 My Uncle [ 3:53]
d2t05 John Walker's Blues [ 3:35]
d2t06 Jerusalem [ 4:46]
d2t07 Raleigh and Spencer [ 4:59]
d2t08 Copperhead Road [ 5:21]

d2t09 Sin City [ 5:16]
d2t10 Rich Man's War [ 4:07]

[95:04]

the band:
Steve Earle (guitar, mandolin, lead vocals)
Tim O'Brien (mandolin, vocals)
Darrell Scott (banjo, dobro, vocals)
Casey Driessen (fiddle)
Dennis Crouch (bass)

more info:
http://www.steveearle.com/

notes:

Steve leaves the stage for "With a Memory Like Mine" and "I Have Endured."

This source was recorded directly in front of the stage. Originally, I was dfc, but the sound was more prominent from the stereo pa speakers on the stage lip than it was front-center, so I stood directly in front of one of these monitors (the one that was located on the right-center of the stage). Doing this, however, threw the subs off-axis for me, so I had to boost the low end, using a gentle bell curve that crests @ 223 Hz. This is more processing than I normally care for, but in this case, the DSP is completely justified.

I hope you enjoy listening to this show as much as I enjoyed taping it - this is a fantastic performance! Do NOT sell this recording in any shape or form. This source may be distributed freely; please make copies and spread the music - it is perfectly legal to do so, and it is also encouraged. Just remember that selling this, in part or in whole, is absolutely illegal!

++ taped, transferred, tracked, FLAC'd and seeded to StG (via Bit Torrent) by macdaddy (July 2004)
July 10th, 2004 11:28 PM
BILL PERKS THE CORRS LIVE IN DUBLIN
8-31-89 VET STADIUM
July 10th, 2004 11:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hi Bill Perks, I see you are using an invalid avatar from other website, I have two avatars for you: The one you had in the beginning and the one you want to use

July 11th, 2004 12:52 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Hi Bill Perks, I see you are using an invalid avatar from other website, I have two avatars for you: The one you had in the beginning and the one you want to use

lol

fwiw - i like the top one.
July 11th, 2004 01:01 AM
mac_daddy oh, if you give a sh*t...

if you right-click and save this file, and then open it (if you have bit torrent installed on your computer), you can download my recording of steve earle and the bluegrass dukes.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
July 11th, 2004 04:27 PM
Gimme Shelter This morning I put eighteen Stones albums in my 18 disc player and hit random play, so it just keeps playing all day. I never know what song is next.
July 11th, 2004 07:37 PM
Factory Girl Hey, Detroit Cobras played the 9:30 club as an opener for somebody. However, I was not in attendance. I'd be into checking them out.

For me tonight- Alice In Chains and Stones.

July 11th, 2004 07:52 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

The Memphis Jug Band (who were, as a band, a front for drug trafficking at parties!) and Gus Cannon's Jug Stompers were as far as I am concerned the world's first and often greatest rock and roll bands.

hey nasty i tracked down some of this stuff too

i've been aware of gus cannon for thirty years and have finally heard some - you are correct - it rocks!!

re the memphis jug band and the drug trafficking - one of their tracks i've found(from 1930 no less)is rather bluntly entitled "Cocaine Habit Blues"
July 12th, 2004 12:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Hank III Live (ala Polksalad. Thanks!!!)

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
July 12th, 2004 12:32 PM
Joey

" Evening Moods " by RatDog !

" WeirHere " ( Bob Weir Collection )

Mick Taylor ( Sweden - 11/00 )

J.
July 12th, 2004 04:33 PM
stewed & Keefed My favourite album of all time Beggers Banquet.
July 12th, 2004 05:10 PM
Joey
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:
My favourite album of all time Beggers Banquet.

Gotta Go with " Sticky Fingers "
July 12th, 2004 05:49 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Joey wrote:

Gotta Go with " Sticky Fingers "

That would be my second with Let It Bleed third
July 12th, 2004 05:51 PM
Bloozehound Beggers is my all time fav Stones album too, think I'll give it a spin today as well, it's been a while
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17