ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Dave Hogan with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yes We Can (massive hope content) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
29th February 2008 09:37 AM
glencar From NRO:

new story today about Michelle Obama's visit to Zanesville, Ohio, where she met with a group of women at a local day care center. According to the U.S. Census, Muskingum County, where Zanesville is located, had a median household income of $37,192 in 2004, below both the Ohio and national averages. Just 12.2 percent of adults in the county have a bachelor's degree or higher, also well below the state and national averages. About 20 percent don't have a high school degree. Nevertheless, Mrs. Obama urged them to foreswear lucrative professions like corporate law or hedge fund management and go into the helping industry, even if the sacrifice is great:

As she has many times in the past, Mrs. Obama complains about the lasting burden of student loans dating from her days at Princeton and Harvard Law School. She talks about people who end up taking years and years, until middle age, to pay off their debts. “The salaries don’t keep up with the cost of paying off the debt, so you’re in your 40s, still paying off your debt at a time when you have to save for your kids,” she says.

“Barack and I were in that position,” she continues. “The only reason we’re not in that position is that Barack wrote two best-selling books… It was like Jack and his magic beans. But up until a few years ago, we were struggling to figure out how we would save for our kids.” A former attorney with the white-shoe Chicago firm of Sidley & Austin, Obama explains that she and her husband made the choice to give up lucrative jobs in favor of community service. “We left corporate America, which is a lot of what we’re asking young people to do,” she tells the women. “Don’t go into corporate America. You know, become teachers. Work for the community. Be social workers. Be a nurse. Those are the careers that we need, and we’re encouraging our young people to do that. But if you make that choice, as we did, to move out of the money-making industry into the helping industry, then your salaries respond.” Faced with that reality, she adds, “many of our bright stars are going into corporate law or hedge-fund management.”

What she doesn’t mention is that the helping industry has treated her pretty well. In 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported that Mrs. Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is a vice president for community affairs, jumped from $121,910 in 2004, just before her husband was elected to the Senate, to $316,962 in 2005, just after he took office. And that does not count the money Mrs. Obama receives from serving on corporate boards. She would have been O.K. even without Jack’s magic beans.

Mrs. Obama also bemoaned the amount of money she has to spend — nearly one-third of the median household income in Zanesville — on piano, dance, and other lessons for her two children. But she was grateful for the concern her husband's supporters have shown for her. "Everywhere I go, no matter what, the women in the audience, their first question for me is, 'How on earth are you managing it, how are you keeping it all together?'" she told the women.
29th February 2008 09:58 AM
glencar
29th February 2008 10:28 AM
Joey " .. where she met with a group of women at a local day care center. According to the U.S. Census, Muskingum County, where Zanesville is located, had a median household income of $37,192 in 2004, below both the Ohio and national averages. Just 12.2 percent of adults in the county have a bachelor's degree or higher, also well below the state and national averages. About 20 percent don't have a high school degree. Nevertheless, Mrs. Obama urged them to foreswear lucrative ..... "

29th February 2008 10:32 AM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

"Wake up, Joey! Edna from Hastings needs help with her ethernet card!"
29th February 2008 10:32 AM
sirmoonie So does Drudge leaking British troop deployments in Afghanistan compromise the safety and security of NATO and Coalition forces fighting and risking their lives to save our freedoms? I'm just asking. Just asking is all.

I wish he hadn't leaked sensitive military information, because it would have made a WAY more sensational headline if Harry got hit with some shrapnel in his buttocks, or something like that. You know, Cost Of Freedom: Paint In The Royal Ass type headlines.
29th February 2008 11:09 AM
monkey_man
quote:
pdog wrote:

Rest of us? That's funny... Seeing as the income taxes from Calif. are like a gazzillion fucking dollars.

Don't forget property taxes! Shit, I'd rather my semi-annual property tax go directly to you kids school than to Newsom's cronys' salaries!
29th February 2008 11:13 AM
glencar
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Don't forget property taxes! Shit, I'd rather my semi-annual property tax go directly to you kids school than to Newsom's cronys' salaries!

Does yours top nine grand? Call me then...
29th February 2008 11:19 AM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
Does yours top nine grand? Call me then...

That's what you get for for living in Nassau County. Mine are about $5500. You at least live in a house!
29th February 2008 11:21 AM
glencar Suffolk. Nassau would be a bit less.
29th February 2008 11:23 AM
monkey_man I thought Nassau had the highest property tax rates around? How often does your property get assesed?
29th February 2008 11:32 AM
glencar It depends where in Nassau as far as how much one pays. I've been here for over 12 years & haven't been re-assessed yet. We now get a slight tax rebate which naturally gives more to the oldsters since Lord knows, they need it!
29th February 2008 11:34 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Call me then...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29th February 2008 11:35 AM
glencar Please Joey, the adults are talking. Go play in traffic.
29th February 2008 11:36 AM
glencar " Three Hits .... Everyday . "

Sometimes, phrases have more than one meaning, if'n you catch me drift, boyo.
29th February 2008 11:39 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Please Joey, the adults are talking. Go play in traffic.

" I don't know about guardian angels
All I know about's staying alive
I can't shout about spiritual labels
When little ones die and big ones thrive
All I know is that I've been making it
And there've been times I didn't deserve to
Every show there's been more faking it
But right at the point of no return

Somebody saves me - again and again
Somebody saves me - I thank you my friend
Somebody saves me
>From a fate worse tham heaven
'Cos if I blew it for a single moment
I'd blow it forever
Somebody saved me.

I took up the connection once
Made me feel quite aloof
I never could queue to collect my lunch
While I was pursuing the Truth
So I left my folks in the mud and rain
(It always rains in Sunnyside Road)
I lived hippy jokes getting stoned insane
Till the rain looked just like snow
But there was a soul in whom I could depend
He worked himself crazy while I laid in bed
I never leaned on a person like I leaned right then
And when I finally woke up clean
My friend was dead - stone dead

Somebody saved me - it happened again.
Somebody saved me - I thank you my friend
Somebody saved me - I ain't ready for heaven
If I'd seen you for a second I'd have wanted to see you forever "

29th February 2008 01:38 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Please Joey, the adults are talking. Go play in traffic.

Please, Joey invented playing in traffic.
29th February 2008 02:36 PM
pdog
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

Please, Joey invented playing in traffic.

Photobucket
29th February 2008 02:43 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
pdog wrote:

Photobucket

No, Joey didn't invent THAT.
29th February 2008 03:39 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
This guy ain't voting for Barry!

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/WaterCooler/story?id=4358724

Maybe not, but there's about four thousand of his comrades in arms who definitely won't be voting.
http://www.antiwar.com/casualties
2nd March 2008 09:09 AM
glencar Yes! We can! (almost pick out the White House drapes...)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3466823.ece
2nd March 2008 01:44 PM
pdog after the retard and the anti-christ in power for 7 years, I can't beleive anyone who at one time supported them, is actually blasting the remaining three, but then again.... Maybe Jesus does hate fags and Saddam was going to attack Americans with nukes...Hahahaha!
2nd March 2008 03:14 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
pdog wrote:
after the retard and the anti-christ in power for 7 years, I can't beleive anyone who at one time supported them, is actually blasting the remaining three, but then again....

Its demented, it truly is, especially when you think of the superlatives throw around for that fool back in 2000. Howe anyone with any objectivity at all couldn't see what a jack ass George Walker Bush III was is beyond me. And some are still trying to believe.
2nd March 2008 04:18 PM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Its demented, it truly is, especially when you think of the superlatives throw around for that fool back in 2000. Howe anyone with any objectivity at all couldn't see what a jack ass George Walker Bush III was is beyond me. And some are still trying to believe.

With Obama being the most inexperienced and most idealistic, he still has more to offer than Bush ever did. I just don't get how people are being so obtuse... Regardless, it'll be great hearing how the next prez is to blame, while hearing all the Bush apologists, who btw, still blast Bill Clinton, oh the fucking stoopidity!
4th March 2008 11:56 AM
glencar Further evidence for my 3 A.M. theory: Here's Hillary:

But before leaving, to insert herself into the day's news coverage, she held a quick media availability at the Hilton and provided this unusually concise capsule comment for reporters, including The Times' Louise Roug:

"I think that I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. Sen. John McCain has a lifetime of experience that he'd bring to the White House. And Sen. Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."
4th March 2008 03:59 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
Further evidence for my 3 A.M. theory: Here's Hillary:

But before leaving, to insert herself into the day's news coverage, she held a quick media availability at the Hilton and provided this unusually concise capsule comment for reporters, including The Times' Louise Roug:

"I think that I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. Sen. John McCain has a lifetime of experience that he'd bring to the White House. And Sen. Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."

I caught that outrageous quasi-endorsement of McCain, too. Besides being a blatantly false dismissal of Barack's experiences and qualifications, it's the sort of stab-in-the-back maneuver that will cost Hillary her future in the Democratic Party.

Time magazine has an interesting article this week revealing that experience is overrated.
4th March 2008 04:23 PM
pdog I agree with you BJ. Experience is good and bad. In politics experience can mean owing alot of people alot of favors. I'll say this too, idealism and politics is also way overrated. Barrack's health plan is idealistic. He thinks people will just sign up, and we know, that is false. How many people don't ever vote or do other idealistic things... All I know is in a short time, we will have 4 years of someone besides Bush.... *sigh* Whew!
4th March 2008 04:39 PM
George W Bush
quote:
pdog wrote:
I agree with you BJ. Experience is good and bad. In politics experience can mean owing alot of people alot of favors. I'll say this too, idealism and politics is also way overrated. Barrack's health plan is idealistic. He thinks people will just sign up, and we know, that is false. How many people don't ever vote or do other idealistic things... All I know is in a short time, we will have 4 years of someone besides Bush.... *sigh* Whew!

I fucked you, and didn't kiss ya!
Heh, heh, heh!
4th March 2008 04:52 PM
Scottfree
quote:
pdog wrote:
after the retard and the anti-christ in power for 7 years, I can't beleive anyone who at one time supported them, is actually blasting the remaining three, but then again.... Maybe Jesus does hate fags and Saddam was going to attack Americans with nukes...Hahahaha!

Bush's war, cooked the intelligence, he's an idiot, etc., etc.

http://www.bercasio.com/movies/dems-wmd-before-iraq.wmv
=

4th March 2008 05:55 PM
pdog
quote:
Scottfree wrote:

Bush's war, cooked the intelligence, he's an idiot, etc., etc.

http://www.bercasio.com/movies/dems-wmd-before-iraq.wmv
=

This is why you're a moron, I don't give Dems any pass or any credit for anything either, the only difference is, Bush did send troops into Iraq, gave billions of dollars in no bid contracts away. This war costs 8 billion an hour. Are we getting our moneys worth? Are the politicians being straight with us? Have we created more enemies in the mid-east? Did we fail to destroy A.Q.?
I know the answers, and for me, it's not a issue of Dem or Rep. Bush is a fucking moron and a fool because he let his so-called friend and advisors use him, and he is to proud to admit, what he knows is true. It is a failing foreign policy, because war is not a policy, and he is stuck with the policy of war, since so many un-american, un-patriotic companies and people are getting rich from a war with no end in Iraq! Yes, Clintons too! If I had more money I'd invest in these companies too...
4th March 2008 05:57 PM
Joey " ... All I know is in a short time, we will have 4 years of someone besides Bush.... *sigh* Whew! "

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)