ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Foro Sol, México City, D. F. 26th February 2006
© and thanks to Poncho Rico!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Van HalenThread, PART II Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
8th October 2007 02:17 PM
MrPleasant Will they come to México? I love alcoholic rock stars (Pete Townshend, John Lennon, Alice Cooper, Phil Lynott)
8th October 2007 02:20 PM
Some Guy This is ballsy!
8th October 2007 02:24 PM
robpop
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
This is ballsy!

So was "Crazy from the Heat".
8th October 2007 02:28 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Will they come to México? I love alcoholic rock stars (Pete Townshend, John Lennon, Alice Cooper, Phil Lynott)

I was in Borders Book store last Wednesday Evening and ran across a new book by Alice Cooper ( ...something about Golf )

Anyway , I IMMEDIATELY went to the ' Table of Contents ' at the very end of the book and looked up " Keith Moon " .

Surprisingly , there are only a couple of pages where his name is listed -- However , Alice DOES recount a ' drinking session ' his band had with The WHO . I guess one of his band members ' projectile vomited ' all over the members of THE WHO ( Pete , Rog. , John & Moonie just kept right on drinking with the barf dripping down all over them .......... )

Lovely

'kins.

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
8th October 2007 02:29 PM
Some Guy PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 3 — Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth both had big, open-mouthed grins throughout Van Halen’s set at the Wachovia Center here on Wednesday night. And why not? Reunited for their first tour together since the band fired Mr. Roth in 1985, and despite countless rancorous exchanges since then, they can still sing, play and strut around arena stages with their shirts off.

Mr. Van Halen’s grin belonged to someone who has happily rebounded. He was reportedly in rehab on the night earlier this year when Van Halen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. While he no longer looks boyish, he is still toned enough to go skipping around the stage while he unleashes the wailing high notes and hyperfast runs that made him one of rock’s most influential guitarists. Mr. Roth’s grin may have held a little astonishment; at 53, he still gets to romp and leer and bask in applause. On stage, Mr. Roth repeatedly embraced Mr. Van Halen and traded high-fives during the band’s 2 ½-hour set. With many fans paying hundreds of dollars a seat, they have a stake in keeping up the old camaraderie.

It’s not a full Van Halen reunion, although Alex Van Halen, Eddie’s older brother, is still on drums. The bassist Michael Anthony has stayed with Sammy Hagar, the singer who replaced Mr. Roth (and made Van Halen even more popular, though less amusing, in the 1980s and 1990s). Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son, has taken over the bass. But the band still sounds like its old self, which is now a doubly convoluted feat. During Van Halen’s years with Mr. Roth, it was a group of guys in their late 20s and early 30s who were, with a streak of trouper’s irony from Mr. Roth, amping up the teenage hormonal urges of songs like “Hot for Teacher.” Now they are guys in their 50s reviving the heyday of guys in their 20s who were thinking like teenagers.

Then and now, it’s done with virtuosity. Eddie Van Halen’s guitar style took the hard rock he inherited from Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and the Who and revved it up with something akin to attention deficit disorder and Tourette’s syndrome. To the old power chords and blues-rock solos, he added startling outbursts of untamed noise and precisely articulated runs — some created by tapping with both hands on the guitar’s fretboard, or hitting strings with a finger to create bell-toned harmonics. Those eruptions continually buttonholed a listener; they also mirrored the volatility of adolescent moods.

A video screen showed giant close-ups of Mr. Van Halen’s hands — scraping a palm or a pick along the strings, shaking notes or chords with the guitar’s vibrato bar, making harmonics ping with a flicked forefinger — doubtless to the delight of guitar players in the crowd. Mr. Roth is in an unusual position for a lead singer, never entirely the center of attention, but he good-naturedly twirled his mike stand and did some head-high kicks as he shared the spotlight and audio foreground with the guitarist.

Unlike progressive rockers, Van Halen didn’t tie its virtuosity to highbrow literary ambition. Its songs — even the ones that get away with odd chord progressions and unconventional structures — laugh their way through thoughts of the most basic lusts. The pleasure of this tour is that even as grown-ups, complete with wrinkles and grudges, Van Halen still hurls zinger after zinger.

NY Times

8th October 2007 02:34 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:
I was in Borders Book store last Wednesday Evening and ran across a new book by Alice Cooper ( ...something about Golf )

Anyway , I IMMEDIATELY went to the ' Table of Contents ' at the very end of the book and looked up " Keith Moon " .

Surprisingly , there are only a couple of pages where his name is listed -- However , Alice DOES recount a ' drinking session ' his band had with The WHO . I guess one of his band members ' projectile vomited ' all over the members of THE WHO ( Pete , Rog. , John & Moonie just kept right on drinking with the barf dripping down all over them .......... )

That's right, Joseph.

Did you know that Alice Cooper used to party backstage with Keith Moon whenever The Who would hit the Southwest US? They used to do cholla shooters and just get all fucked up. I read it on Flip Side of The Moon.
8th October 2007 02:35 PM
mojoman
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 3 — Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth both had big, open-mouthed grins throughout Van Halen’s set at the Wachovia Center here on Wednesday night. And why not? Reunited for their first tour together since the band fired Mr. Roth in 1985, and despite countless rancorous exchanges since then, they can still sing, play and strut around arena stages with their shirts off.

Mr. Van Halen’s grin belonged to someone who has happily rebounded. He was reportedly in rehab on the night earlier this year when Van Halen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. While he no longer looks boyish, he is still toned enough to go skipping around the stage while he unleashes the wailing high notes and hyperfast runs that made him one of rock’s most influential guitarists. Mr. Roth’s grin may have held a little astonishment; at 53, he still gets to romp and leer and bask in applause. On stage, Mr. Roth repeatedly embraced Mr. Van Halen and traded high-fives during the band’s 2 ½-hour set. With many fans paying hundreds of dollars a seat, they have a stake in keeping up the old camaraderie.

It’s not a full Van Halen reunion, although Alex Van Halen, Eddie’s older brother, is still on drums. The bassist Michael Anthony has stayed with Sammy Hagar, the singer who replaced Mr. Roth (and made Van Halen even more popular, though less amusing, in the 1980s and 1990s). Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son, has taken over the bass. But the band still sounds like its old self, which is now a doubly convoluted feat. During Van Halen’s years with Mr. Roth, it was a group of guys in their late 20s and early 30s who were, with a streak of trouper’s irony from Mr. Roth, amping up the teenage hormonal urges of songs like “Hot for Teacher.” Now they are guys in their 50s reviving the heyday of guys in their 20s who were thinking like teenagers.

Then and now, it’s done with virtuosity. Eddie Van Halen’s guitar style took the hard rock he inherited from Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and the Who and revved it up with something akin to attention deficit disorder and Tourette’s syndrome. To the old power chords and blues-rock solos, he added startling outbursts of untamed noise and precisely articulated runs — some created by tapping with both hands on the guitar’s fretboard, or hitting strings with a finger to create bell-toned harmonics. Those eruptions continually buttonholed a listener; they also mirrored the volatility of adolescent moods.

A video screen showed giant close-ups of Mr. Van Halen’s hands — scraping a palm or a pick along the strings, shaking notes or chords with the guitar’s vibrato bar, making harmonics ping with a flicked forefinger — doubtless to the delight of guitar players in the crowd. Mr. Roth is in an unusual position for a lead singer, never entirely the center of attention, but he good-naturedly twirled his mike stand and did some head-high kicks as he shared the spotlight and audio foreground with the guitarist.

Unlike progressive rockers, Van Halen didn’t tie its virtuosity to highbrow literary ambition. Its songs — even the ones that get away with odd chord progressions and unconventional structures — laugh their way through thoughts of the most basic lusts. The pleasure of this tour is that even as grown-ups, complete with wrinkles and grudges, Van Halen still hurls zinger after zinger.

NY Times

ny times gave a review like that? holy guacamole!!! still waiting for the high times review.........dude....where's my car?
8th October 2007 02:41 PM
pdog
8th October 2007 02:47 PM
Dr. Pepper Are they going to do a new album?
8th October 2007 02:53 PM
rogerriffin
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Will they come to México? I love alcoholic rock stars (Pete Townshend, John Lennon, Alice Cooper, Phil Lynott)

And your no-wished baby will let you come here to rock???
8th October 2007 02:56 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Dr. Pepper wrote:
Are they going to do a new album?

nothing certain yet.

8th October 2007 03:08 PM
pdog Roths Off The Van Halen Message Board...
Glad I finally found this place!!!
8th October 2007 03:09 PM
Some Guy moonie?
8th October 2007 03:16 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
moonie?

Some push comes to shove posting right there.
8th October 2007 03:28 PM
BILL PERKS KEEP ON RUEING HATERS
8th October 2007 03:32 PM
Dr. Pepper
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
KEEP ON RUEING HATERS

I have been very impressed with the video/audio footage that I have seen
8th October 2007 03:43 PM
Jumping Jack For my baby Joey:

http://www.ijamming.net/Moon/AliceCooper.html

You know Coop drank a lot when Moonie was only Vice President of the Hollywood Vampires!

BTW, Eddie is a better guitarist than anyone in Coop's current band, but Coop has better songs and rocks consistently harder than VH. VH has several piss break songs in their setlist that are a buzz kill and Dave still bull shits too much.
8th October 2007 04:49 PM
robpop
8th October 2007 05:04 PM
pdog you faggots need to go put on your make up and post on a VH board, you're really ruining this joint!
8th October 2007 05:28 PM
mojoman October 8, 2007 04:10 PM
By John Voket
LiveDaily Contributor

David Lee Roth tells the story in concert like it was yesterday. As a teenager, you would often find him hanging around his best friend's suburban New Jersey home sitting among a circle of classmates, "... passing joints in both directions."
As the hazy nights would wear on, he said everyone would become focused on a wall around his buddy's dartboard where errant darts had chipped off the paint. Except, under a black light, those chips would become a field of stars, and suddenly everyone was sharing a mutual experience of deep space flight.

For me, a common teenage experience involved driving out into the country, and parking my VW Rabbit under a blanket of stars. Standing on the hood with a worn out 8-track blasting, I would play endless air guitar solos along with Eddie Van Halen [ tickets ]'s amazing "Eruption," and most of the rest of the band's 1978 debut project.

Last weekend, a million "Eruptions" later, the Mohegan Sun arena in eastern Connecticut became a Mecca for thousands of heavier, balder and ostensibly more mature party maniacs and air guitar champions as the latest, and possibly greatest incarnation of Van Halen hit the stage for an incomparable 26 song marathon.

From the opening licks of "You Really Got Me," through the 10-minute guitar solo that ended with a modified and rapturous "Eruption," to the echoing final power chords of "Jump," the band delivered the goods. Certainly anyone who came through the door with doubts about Van Halen's ability to "a-satisa-fy," had to depart the building with a whole new attitude about this hard rocking and hit-making act.

With Eddie's 16-year-old son Wolfgang nailing the bass and high harmonies spot-on, the band is more Van Halen than ever before. And it looks like Wolfie's youthful energy has greatly enhanced and not detracted from the formula--despite all the Michael Anthony fans who assumed the departed bassist was irreplaceable.

Song after song, Wolfgang Van Halen's contributions became more evident, as memories of whiskey swigging Anthony faded into the distance. From the constant ear-to-ear grin on father Eddie's face, and frequent approving nods and smiles from Uncle Alex and prodigal frontman David Lee Roth, the band's approval was shared from the inside out.

While the set list has been pretty much established since opening night of the "Van Halen Reunion" tour, seeing it in print versus hearing it roll out in its glorious whooping, screeching, power chord glory is something like seeing one of those panoramic postcards of the Grand Canyon versus standing along the edge of it.

Having been among the rock drummers who pioneered the double-bass thump, Alex has taken his extensive kit to new extremes with, count 'em, four bass drums and some electronics that helped enhance his few minutes in the solo spotlight. The heart-pounding pump and clang of the cymbal bell, which was so prevalent in most of the early Van Halen, material came through loud and clear on every number.

Switching off on a variety of colorful axes throughout the show, brother Eddie reaffirmed his status as one of the world's greatest rock guitarists. He was not only one with the instrument, his stings and leads were perfectly integrated with each number.

Casual fans, if there are any, may chalk up the astounding fretwork on Eddie Van Halen's studio tracks to carefully pieced together recording sessions. But once again, as it rolls out in a live format without a net or a particular former singer/guitarist to back him up, Eddie's Hall of Fame status becomes validated.

His manipulation of the instrument is better than ever, and was as much of a draw as the prospect of seeing Diamond Dave strutting and kicking up his heels again after more than two decades. Having seen each configuration of the band including the anomaly of Gary Cherone at the microphone, it was almost strange to see Roth back in the saddle.
With a combination of doll-face leering and some pretty campy dance moves, Roth has nonetheless earned the right to belt out a generation's worth of Van Halen numbers many long-time fans thought they would never hear in concert.

Roth's best work was showcased on "And the Cradle Will Rock," "Atomic Punk" and "I'll Wait." By the time he pulled out the vintage acoustic guitar to accompany himself for the first segment of "Ice Cream Man," he had everyone in the arena eating out of his hand.

While the latest configuration of Van Halen is certainly not a truly reunited band without Anthony, the current line up deserves all the credit it has coming. The band may have hosted a revolving door of lead singers, but, in the process of becoming one of rock and roll's most dysfunctional families, Van Halen has come full circle to give purists as well as newcomers a taste of vintage musical wine.

To simply say it has improved with age, however, would be a gross understatement; despite shaking the foundations of rock and roll back in 1979, Van Halen in 2007 may be better than ever

bigger than valerie's underwear tater!!!
8th October 2007 05:43 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
pdog wrote:
you faggots need to go put on your make up and post on a VH board, you're really ruining this joint!

8th October 2007 05:43 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
pdog wrote:
you faggots need to go put on your make up and post on a VH board, you're really ruining this joint!

Obscure reference, lost on rue-less posters.
8th October 2007 06:17 PM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Obscure reference, lost on rue-less posters.

What you don't know is; next tour Daryll will leave The Stones to join forces with Mick Taylor and will be replaced by Gabriel on bass...
8th October 2007 06:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
For my baby Joey:

http://www.ijamming.net/Moon/AliceCooper.html

You know Coop drank a lot when Moonie was only Vice President of the Hollywood Vampires!

BTW, Eddie is a better guitarist than anyone in Coop's current band, but Coop has better songs and rocks consistently harder than VH. VH has several piss break songs in their setlist that are a buzz kill and Dave still bull shits too much.

" Alice Cooper: We were much more smitten with the Yardbirds and the Who (than the Beatles and The Stones). The Yardbirds were our band but The Who was what we wanted to be. We used to play with the Who at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit, it held 3000, and we would play and The Who would play, and my drummer Neil Smith would always find out how many drums Keith had and add one! At one point they were both on stage with all their drums and Keith came up and played with us and there was 70 drums!

. . .The Speakeasy and Tramps were the place to be in London. There was a little loft at the Rainbow Room in LA, they only had that for the club: the club was myself, Keith Moon, Ringo, Micky Dolenz, Harry Nilsson, it was that crowd, every night those same people. Every once in a while John Lennon would come into town or Keith Emerson and they would be honorable members of the night. They still have a plaque there at the Rainbow, where it says 'The Lair of the Hollywood Vampires.' "

Bless You Jumping Jack

...nice read
8th October 2007 06:28 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
moonie?

...have you seen Wolfy's grades ?!

8th October 2007 07:33 PM
robpop Better quality video than poseted before. Dave really going bald. Eddie has the horns helping out just like Kieth did.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-546025519915830591&q=paul+anka+jump&total=13&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Sorry those fuckers diabled the embed.
[Edited by robpop]
8th October 2007 07:48 PM
robpop A mosquito
My Libido

8th October 2007 08:17 PM
pdog I'm serious... This VH shit needs to stop!
8th October 2007 09:44 PM
Some Guy You can see deez nuts.
8th October 2007 09:50 PM
robpop
Add to My Profile | More Videos
[Edited by robpop]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)