ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Midnight ramblin' babies!!
© Christopher Simon Sykes with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Another Thread Showing Off Your Exquisite Listening Tastes Pt. VIII Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
February 19th, 2005 01:23 AM
Dan I saw Marky a few months ago with his other Ramones tribute band known as the Misfits.

Scored a lot of nice Ramones DVDs the past few days. Most are upgrades on VHS I already had but a few new things.
February 19th, 2005 10:15 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff GABBA GABBA HEY !!
February 19th, 2005 11:12 AM
Nellcote Stones-Happy Birthday Nicky!

It's Wicked Pissa!
February 19th, 2005 02:09 PM
Bloozehound Lucinda Williams ~ cAr Wheels on a Gravel Road

I'm usually not into the "chick music" scene, but Lucinda's become the exception to the rule, this albums been in heavy rotation in the bloozemobile for the past few weeks, my fiance turned me on to her a while back and my appreciation has really grown. I've heard alot of her stuff on the radio, but this is the only "album" of hers I've heard, and I'm thinking about picking up some others, the two that precede this one look pretty enticing, anyone "in the know" have any recommendations ?
February 19th, 2005 05:52 PM
mac_daddy blonde on blonde...

and for the BC/'cuse game...

stones - london 1971 (march 14 and 26)...

to be seeded later today...

go eagles!
February 19th, 2005 06:34 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Lucinda Williams ~ cAr Wheels on a Gravel Road

I'm usually not into the "chick music" scene, but Lucinda's become the exception to the rule, this albums been in heavy rotation in the bloozemobile for the past few weeks, my fiance turned me on to her a while back and my appreciation has really grown. I've heard alot of her stuff on the radio, but this is the only "album" of hers I've heard, and I'm thinking about picking up some others, the two that precede this one look pretty enticing, anyone "in the know" have any recommendations ?

BH --

I am VERY partial to World without Tears. Surprising to me that I shold lack an album by a post-grammygirl like I do - Normally I'd go for the s/t album recorded back when she's ignored, but World without Tears was engagingly ragged and strung out and believe it or not, cracklingly rockin'. Real good.

Currently: Bobby Darin -- The Pop Years, Disc #1, from the 4 CD ever amazing Rhino Box Set. No more artificial flowers!

February 19th, 2005 06:52 PM
Child of the Moon Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Sinatra
Dylan at Newport, 2002
Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Zuma
Stones - "New York '75"
Grateful Dead - Europe '72
February 19th, 2005 09:50 PM
mac_daddy eagles win!!!

blasting 2 CH SACD of YA-YA's in celebration D)

February 19th, 2005 10:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
¿John Mayall/Mick Taylor - Waterfront Hall, Belfast Oct. 2004?

WTF??? Is it PAL?

it is, but a friend of mine will be transfering it to DVD this week

so I'll make it available when I get it back in that format
February 19th, 2005 10:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Lucinda Williams ~ cAr Wheels on a Gravel Road

"Car wheels.." is the best of Lucinda's albums. In fact, I'd rate it up there with any album by ANYONE in the last decade.

There only are 7 in all, though, but they're all worth getting.

I would indeed recommend the two that immediately preceded it, "Lucinda williams" and "Sweet old world"

February 20th, 2005 04:25 AM
Dan Queensryche Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles 2/19/05

February 20th, 2005 03:47 PM
mac_daddy hey dan - you dont have the "hand of doom" anywhere, do you..?

earlier:

bob dylan - bringing it back home (sacd 2 ch)
japan - tin drum
buena vista social club
james brown - star ime (disc 3)
alpha blondy - apartheid is nazism
red house painters - songs for a blue guitar
idaho - three sheets to the wind
echo and the bunnymen - crystal days (discs 1 and 2)

now:
the wailers - burnin'

next:
the third of three discs from the stones' performances in london during march 1971 that i will be seeding later today...
February 20th, 2005 04:45 PM
Dan
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
hey dan - you dont have the "hand of doom" anywhere, do you..?

I dont even know what that is other than a Sabbath song
February 20th, 2005 05:21 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Dan wrote:

I dont even know what that is other than a Sabbath song

the tribute band lasted for like 3 or 4 local gigs... auf der mar sang lead, nick oliveri was involved...

i thought you might have caught the act, as it seemed up your alley...

February 21st, 2005 07:43 PM
stonedinaustralia The recent Uncut magazine featuring Dylan has just come out down here – two versions of the same edition with two different free CDs

One cd was tracks that influenced Dylan the other tracks that were influenced by him

I opted for the one of tracks that influenced him (tho one track on the other being a cover of “idiot wind” looked interesting - anybody pick that one up and if so what’s that cover like??)

Anyway one of the tracks on the cd that is just blowing my mind is a short minute or so of Gene Vincent (and the Houseshakers) doing “Baby Blue” live

I’ve been aware of Vincent for years (being as he is a seminal figure of pre-beatles/stones rock and roll) but had never really hard much of him and had never heard any live stuff

Anyway, this track is WILD – built round a “Mannish Boy” type riff – the live sound is a revelation given that it must have been recorded late 50’s early 60’s – the guitar sound is huge – and Vincent comes across like Elvis at his best without the mama’s boy overtones - if nothing else it reminds me of the Cramps or something – true primal gut-bucket rock and roll –

As I say it’s a live track but only a minute or so of it then it’s faded out – so I have it in the car cd player on continual repeat –

I know some of you here read the magazine so if you’ve got that disc and perhaps you didn’t pay much attention to that track get it out play the track and thank me later

The disc also features a live version of hanks “lost highway’ which I hadn’t heard before and a great Lightin’ Hopkins track “automobile”
February 21st, 2005 09:22 PM
Soldatti Goats Head Soup
IORR
Black And Blue
February 21st, 2005 09:46 PM
mac_daddy the philly t&a cassette sources (for quality assuramnce prior to seeding)...

didnt get these up by this tree day weekend, but they should be up in the next day or two...
February 22nd, 2005 12:07 PM
CS Marianne Faithfull: Vagabond Ways
February 22nd, 2005 08:24 PM
CS Johnny Winter "Second Winter" legacy edition
Johnny Winter "Delux Edition" that's the name of the album
February 22nd, 2005 09:04 PM
Soldatti Bob Dylan - The Essential Bob Dylan
February 23rd, 2005 11:39 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

Anyway one of the tracks on the cd that is just blowing my mind is a short minute or so of Gene Vincent (and the Houseshakers) doing “Baby Blue” live

I’ve been aware of Vincent for years (being as he is a seminal figure of pre-beatles/stones rock and roll) but had never really hard much of him and had never heard any live stuff

Anyway, this track is WILD – built round a “Mannish Boy” type riff – the live sound is a revelation given that it must have been recorded late 50’s early 60’s – the guitar sound is huge – and Vincent comes across like Elvis at his best without the mama’s boy overtones - if nothing else it reminds me of the Cramps or something – true primal gut-bucket rock and roll –

SIA -- Gene recorded with the Houseshakers in the late 60s and early 70s -- he actually played with them up until 1971 when he died. Baby Blue, while never a huge hit in America, was a giant cult phenom in Europe - one of Gene's absolute classics. A great performance, and no live recordings exist of it until 1967 that I know of. Anyway, live takes of it got completely wild by 1971. If this was an excerpt I would suspect it was probably the Isle of Wight take from '69.

The White Stripes did a terrific version of this for their first Peel Sessions that really makes your Cramps insight explicit.

There's a full length live version of a live Baby Blue here and lots of fun MP3's from the period to explore:

http://stage.vitaminic.com/main/gene_vincent_rebel_heart_vol._6/

The Screamin' End CD is the best Gene Vincent CD for his essential 50s recordings with Cliff Gallup on lead guitar and if you'd like to check out his surprisingly great mid/late 60s recordings check out the Complete Challenge Sessions CD on Sundazed.

Currently: Gene Vincent!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
February 23rd, 2005 05:35 PM
stonedinaustralia hey there nasty - thanks for setting me straight

that would explain why the guitar sound sounds so late '60's - early '70's - it is!!

thanks too for the link - i'll follow that up as my appetite is surely whetted for more of this type of thing

and while i have your attention, as FPM said, thanx for those fine words on the HST thread - as usual your eloquence and imagination do justice to the sentiment

it's a damn shame you haven't figured out a way to get paid for your literary abilities (or maybe you have) - you're certainly a lot more adept than any number of "writers" i've read who seem to make a living from it - but then as the good doctor has remarked doing things for money will generally suck all the fun out of it

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
February 23rd, 2005 06:44 PM
Soldatti Guns And Roses - Lies
February 23rd, 2005 06:51 PM
MrPleasant Derek & The Dominos - Layla
February 23rd, 2005 07:25 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Since I'm going to see them on Sunday, I thought I'd re-familiarize myself with their songs:

Motley Crue: Red, White & Crue
February 23rd, 2005 08:34 PM
sammy davis jr. The Libertines
Twilight Singers- She Loves You
February 23rd, 2005 08:39 PM
mac_daddy jerry garcia - dick's gift

@ 6pm - i'll be listeing to the announcers on espn2 call the bc/'nova game

[Edited by mac_daddy]
February 24th, 2005 07:49 AM
Nellcote Muddy Waters
Muddy Mississippi Waters-Live
Legacy Edition

Gawd, these Legacy edition releases have got me hooked...
February 24th, 2005 07:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Beyond Life With Timothy Leary
February 24th, 2005 10:55 PM
Soldatti Live At Leeds 82
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)