ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Midnight ramblin' babies!!
© Christopher Simon Sykes with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Another Thread Showing Off Your Exquisite Listening Tastes Pt. VIII Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
March 30th, 2005 08:54 PM
kath i dunno why my posts are taking so much space

watts at scotts
40 licks
neil young and crazyhorse

[Edited by kath]
March 31st, 2005 08:00 AM
Jair "The Ladykillers" soundtrack, a fantastic collection of gospel songs...
March 31st, 2005 12:44 PM
Dan The other Black Crowes, from England, the Quireboys live in London at the Town & Country Club 3/12/90 - they cover "Heartbreaker"

HANOI ROCKS ROME 2/16/05
HANOI ROCKS HIROSHIMA 3/1/03
AEROSMITH LARGO 1/25/80 UPGRADE
TEGAN AND SARA SO JEALOUS
MOTLEY CRUE FORUM 3/23/05
SOLOMON BURKE AMOEBA 3/29/05
March 31st, 2005 11:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Cold Blood - Vintage Blood: Live 1973
April 1st, 2005 11:50 PM
Water Dragon 'Drinkin' TNT 'n' Smokin' Dynamite'
BUDDY GUY & JUNIOR WELLS
with Bill Wyman, Pinetop Perkins, Terry Taylor & Dallas Taylor

Crawfish Fiesta
Professor Longhair

New Orleans' Sweet Emaa and her Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Sweet Emma The Bell Gal

Clifton Chenier - Louisiana Blues and Zydeco

Well, that is as much gumbo as I can swallow in one sitting...keep on moving and grooving
April 2nd, 2005 12:50 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Water Dragon!! Great to hear from ya

---good taste

April 2nd, 2005 12:58 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ya Ya's

I don't know why it's the first I play when I get back home drunk

Next probably will be Jefferson Airplane's "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" more than 35 years of both shows and still two of my favs
April 2nd, 2005 02:32 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl An album called "Exile on Main Street" by a band called "The Rolling Stones"
April 2nd, 2005 10:51 AM
Water Dragon Ola, Senor Gerardo!

Thank you for your greeting, you are very kind. Were you aware that Sweet Emma plays the piano in the end of "The Hustler?" Its the last shot of the movie when the credits roll.

Yes, Ventilator Blues, remains one of my fave RS songs, especially when I am "breaking down." This morning I got up and listened to "Down Home Girl." That BJ-dominated cover of the blues has so many facets of what TRS were to me at that time, and vaguely, eeirly-predictive lyrics. "I'm goin' to take you to the muddy water and push you in; just to watch the water roll on, down your velvet skin." A slight cognitive dissonance; the same feeling of Eros you have for someone you know you should not covet and yet you can't stop the lust or longing.

I hope that Spring is good for you and yours,

Warmest regards,

W.D.
April 2nd, 2005 10:55 AM
Nellcote Bruce Springsteen
Oh Boy!
Charleston, SC 04/09/78
Soundboard
April 2nd, 2005 11:14 AM
sirmoonie Rockin' Saturday - no work, sunshine, lotsa beer!

Stooges - Fun House
Guitar Watson - Real Mother For Ya
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Plant (believe the hype!)
Stones - Goat's
Cooper - Killer
April 2nd, 2005 11:25 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Rockin' Saturday - no work, sunshine, lotsa beer!

Stooges - Fun House
Stones - Goat's
Cooper - Killer

WOW Moonie..... Alice's Killer is fantastic.....

I'm really happy hearing that there are another Stones' fans on Alice Cooper 70's stuff.....Classic

man....you should also queue Schools Out....you won't regret....

By the way.... Desperado is fuckin' tastic
April 2nd, 2005 05:53 PM
MrPleasant Cooper's Killer is a fucking classic. DaDa, from 1983, is extraordinary as well.

Frank Zappa - Playground Psychotics
April 3rd, 2005 06:41 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Cooper's Killer is a fucking classic. DaDa, from 1983, is extraordinary as well.

Frank Zappa - Playground Psychotics

You know.....from almost every damn Cooper's albums.....DaDa is one I still didn't "digest".
April 3rd, 2005 10:40 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Rockin' Saturday - no work, sunshine, lotsa beer!

Stooges - Fun House
Stones - Goat's
Cooper - Killer

Public Enemy ---> at least they knew when & how to use samples. Nowadays, rappers just go ahead and hijack entire songs and rap new "lyrics" over the music.
April 3rd, 2005 11:38 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
Public Enemy ---> at least they knew when & how to use samples. Nowadays, rappers just go ahead and hijack entire songs and rap new "lyrics" over the music.

I agree. I can't believe what passes for rap theses days.

I can't believe I just said I can't believe what passes for rap these days.
April 3rd, 2005 10:58 PM
Soldatti Sucking In The 70's
Exile
April 4th, 2005 03:11 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

You know.....from almost every damn Cooper's albums.....DaDa is one I still didn't "digest".

Give it another try!

It has the usual strengths of Alice: clever lyrics, humor and catchy melodies, plus: atmosphere. The highlights, for me: "Enough's enough", about incendiary father-son relationships, and "I Love America", about redneck patriotism, but what kills me (no pun intended) is the final track.

Just like "Mother's little helper" sings about the jolliness of potential OD'ing, "Pass the gun around", the last track, celebrates alcoholic depression (sic). That chorus, "Pass the gun around - give everyone a shot, give everyone a shot", has the intensity of "I love the dead", only multiplied. I mean, they're both great and belong to great songs, but anecdotically "Pass the gun around" thrives on the mundane, and because of that it can be genuinely resonant.

You may dislike a couple of tunes ("Fresh blood", for instance, because at first it may sound a bit crappy, even if the HOOKS are there), but "Pass the gun" is a masterstroke.

DaDa is not as impressive as Killer, but it pays off. I promise!
[Edited by MrPleasant]
April 4th, 2005 10:40 AM
Nasty Habits Funkadelic - Let's Take it to the Stage
Various Artists: God Less America
Jon Wayne - Texas Funeral
April 4th, 2005 02:13 PM
Jair Pin ups, Bowie, fucking puta album
April 4th, 2005 03:14 PM
Madafaka FRANK SINATRA - New York, New York
April 4th, 2005 07:13 PM
Soldatti John Lennon - Rock And Roll
April 5th, 2005 12:29 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Tonight:

The Faces -- Good Boys When They're Sleeping
Bob Marley -- Legend
Tina Turner -- Acid Queen & The Best of Ike & Tina Turner
April 5th, 2005 02:23 AM
Child of the Moon Bowie!:
Diamond Dogs
Low
The Deram Anthology
Aladdin Sane

Plus...
Electric Six - Fire
Grateful Dead - Reckoning
Beck - Guero
April 5th, 2005 09:34 AM
Lil Brian A nice cover of "Moonlight Mile" by Turin Brakes. For a sample: http://www.smokecds.com/track/140301
April 5th, 2005 10:51 AM
Jair Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams
April 5th, 2005 12:54 PM
Cant Catch Me Alright, Nellcote, Robert Gordon is, as they say, "Red Hot!" That's a choice pick! He's a regular in my CD player, and Fresh Fish is probably my favorite.

John Lennon's "Rock n' Roll" is another great choice, whoever said that one. Man, I love that album.

[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
April 5th, 2005 07:39 PM
Soldatti Pearl Jam - Greatest Hits
April 5th, 2005 07:46 PM
glencar Guest of Honour w/Keith richards which contains him & a bunch of other folks outside the Stones.
April 5th, 2005 09:06 PM
Child of the Moon Today I tried out a few Bowie albums that I hadn't really given their fair due in the past. I wanted to see if any of them had grown on me.

First up was 1.Outside. I'd previously listened to it and appreciated it, but only really cared for a couple of tracks. Now I really dig it in its entirety - the whole thing's grown on me.

Then came Let's Dance. I'd always judged this one based on the "strength" of the three big cuts - Let's Dance, Modern Love, and the dreaded China Girl. Well, I'll admit that there are some good songs on this one - Ricochet, Cat People, even Let's Dance... but it's still not a favorite.

Next was Young Americans. Another one that I judged on the basis of a couple of songs. I never really got into his Philly soul period. After listening today, it's still not one of my faves, but I've grown to like it a bit more, if only because of the mood it sets. Fame and Fascination are still the best.

Later (or tomorrow), I think I'll try Buddha of Suburbia and ...hours..., maybe another.

Listening to a variety of stuff now, including the Temptations, Neil, Stones, Bert Jansch, etc.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)