ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guest duet with Mick tonight is... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
08-01-03 03:01 PM
luxury1 I still dont think inviting JT on stage is such a travesty. I think it is kinda funny actually.
And guess what else??--I bought his solo CD Justified. Great dance music--all you fellow Jazzercisers out there are aware of the killer funk routines to this disc.
08-01-03 10:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot Sorry Luxy. Whitey can't do no funk.

Not REAL funk.

Oh sure, they can pretend. But it ain't REAL funk.

And see that's the whole point, you know what I mean?

Justin PRETENDS.

Any SOUL that he projects is simple ACTING. It is not real.

That is why some folks are upset. The Stones legitimized a complete fake...someone who epitomizes all that is WRONG with the music industry.

Not that it really happened or anything. It was all computer generated fakery.
08-02-03 08:35 AM
luxury1 Exactly Stonesalot!! What do you think those poor old black men from the US thought of those middle class skinny white young ENGLISH boys were doing coppin' their soulful blues?! SOmeone else around here pointed out the same thing. Those black dudes probably thought it a bit humorous, also grateful that some white boys were into their sound, so why not support them at it?? Hell, Keith and Mick probably did it as a kick for their kids. Of course Justin aint a "real" funky cat. Christ, he's skinny, way too white and rich. What is he thinking??
I believe the Stones did it for the shock value, humor, and maybe they think this kid is a pretty decent person/singer and their kids were most probably way into it, so why not?? I've done some pretty embarrassing eyeball-rolling activites on my kids' behalf. Although not in front of half a million people. Wait, maybe I have. We are on America's FUnniest HOme Videos all the time--our clip is a favorite of the show's to repeat time and time again, much to my chagrin.
08-02-03 08:44 AM
nankerphelge Better than an appearance on Scariest Police Chases!

What clip are you in -- I used to watch that show all the time -- I love watching people biff! I did a face plant on a diving board about a year ago -- I can say without hesitation that it would have won the grand prize if someone had caught it on tape! My kids had front & center and it remains a nearly-daily dinner-time topic!

08-02-03 08:59 AM
luxury1 Hold on, I'm not done yet.
What the Stones did was give Justin a much needed rock n roll shot in the arm. And I think Mick was hoping that some of the younger Justin-only crowd might tune in to what the Stones are all about, seeing Justin up there with them. Similar to those combination concert billings from the early 60's when the Stones were just heading out.
And I want to believe that Mick and Keith have some sincerely altruistic tendencies when it comes to pleasing thier children.
Oh Nanky, we did get the invitation for the trip out to LA for the taping of the show--however, we turned it down because they gave us a 48hr notice to pack up the family, and we were literally in the middle of a move from NY to VT. TIme waits for no one, they not so politely told us.
Oh, what clip are we in?? I dont know if I can go there in the middle of this Justin debate.
08-02-03 09:55 AM
Nellcote I would be quite surprised if The Stones gave this the amount of thought that is being speculated upon here.
Probably were contacted up front, rehearsed a rather well known dance number that both sides could deal with, let it fly.

This is a classic case of short memory.

Stones fans went crazygonuts for Miss You when it came out, however, if you recall in the day, there was a fair amount of rubbish directed toward the band for "copping the disco beat" because it was fashionable, in at the time, shall we say. Now the tune stands on it's own. That a current icon of the 12-20 yr set could sing this number with the actual band that recorded it is benchmark material. Yes, this chap Justin is an icon. Like it or not, manufactured boy bands are have been around forever, it's an easy way for a record company to make cha-ching.

At the end of the day, what does this coupling do?

Gets the Stones more exposure to a market place which they have not cracked for a while, the teen market. You can already play five of the songs from Stonestock on MTV.com
JB might even be happy that they could move some more market share.

At the end of the day, what does that mean?
Cha-ching for the Stones, of course?

Do you have to like it? No. Neil Young won't, fer sure.

But you know who will like it?

The Stones!

[Edited by Nellcote]
08-02-03 10:01 AM
Boomy I'm sorry, but I just don't believe the "marketing" aspect of this event.

What horseshit. Just like no Stones fan is going out to buy Timberlake's album, no 11-17 year old girl is going to buy Tattoo You, or even Forty Licks.

I'm sorry, but it makes no sense and even if it did, an increase of 10 or even 100 cd's is not going to help at all.

And do you think that these Justin fans are going to pay the prices to see the Stones? Muhahahahahahhaha, seriously mistaken there.
08-02-03 10:12 AM
LadyJane Much ado about nothing!!

I'm serious. Are you all so traumatized by this that you can't just accept the fact that it happened? It wasn't pleasant.....but it wasn't that horrible either. I was there. Yeah it was awkward....but the Sky did not fall down!!

I'm still more disturbed by the constant presence of one, Chuck Leavell, than a 10 minute duet with JT. Speaking of which....Hubby was kind enough to record the Canadian coverage. We were watching it last evening. At the end of HTW...you guys should see Chuck mugging for the camera. Simply nauseating. I guarantee one look at that and you'll forget all about Justin.

So.....let's get on with our lives. What's done is done. The Stones are still the greatest and always will be, IMHO.

LadyJ.

08-02-03 10:34 AM
Nellcote Lady Jane, spoken well. Hey Boomy, you are correct, there was not marketing to this. Conicidental items just happen.
I would think anyone whom performed @ Live Aid understood a collective "bounce" in sales, as well as got cross marketing purchase of units they never dreamt would occur.
That's just how it goes. Same with The Concert for New York.

08-02-03 11:16 AM
telecaster I am still sick about this event

But as SS said it never really happened and if he says so I believe him because the truth is too awfull to face

Next you guys will tell me Pamela Anderson breasts are
fake.
08-02-03 11:21 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I believe the Stones did it for the shock value, humor, .....

See, I disagree that there was any "shock" value in this like all the other Stones stunts have been designed to have. This is just all around lame ass Howe-ish behavior. Tele is right, they jumped the shark the other night. People on the streets are already referring to this as "boofing a Justin."

Thats said, thanks to copious amounts of alcohol, I am beginning to get over this. I was even able to listen to crawl out of bed and listen to Exile this morning.

Progressing......

Mongoing........

Is Justin Timberlake the white guy who was photographed with Keith and his daughters awhile back, and who said something like "we will always have a lot of fans, just like the Rolling Stones"? Or was that some other dude they plan on bringing onstage some day?
08-02-03 11:42 AM
Sir Stonesalot >What the Stones did was give Justin a much needed rock n roll shot in the arm. <

Uh yeah. That's it. The Stones pissed on their own legacy to help out a clown with very little talent. Now THAT makes things a whole lot clearer.

As much as I love the Rolling Stones, it has become painfully clear that they have become mere cartoons of themselves.

It was just one song at a charity gig, right? Just a small moment in time. Yet small moments in time become defining moments in time. This is certainly one moment in time that I hope does NOT become a defining moment in the twilight of the Stones career? It is embarrassing, lame, sad, awful, and it COMPLETELY sucks. It pains me to use words like that in conjunction with ANYTHING involving the Stones. But when the shoe fits....

I see no "humor" in this thing. None at all. And I'm not the LEAST bit shocked. And that is what is so sad. This is what the Stones have to stoop to to "shock" people? This just makes me sad.

Do you seriously think I should be OK with this duet just because some Bubblegum Teenie Boppers might think the Stones are "cool" because Justin of NSync sang a song with them??? Why do they even CARE what Bubblegum Teenie Boppers think? Since when have Bubblegum Teenie Boppers been the main market for the Rolling Stones? 1965, 66 maybe?

There were lots of other names at that show that they could have used as guest stars. Even as bad as that Rush guy is...he would STILL have been better than Justin.

Look, what happened, happened. I can't change it, no one can. But that does NOT mean that I have to like it, or find it acceptable. I hold the Rolling Stones to a higher level of quality and standard than other bands. It pains me when they not only fall short of those standards, but when the aren't even in the same dimension. This is something from Bizarro World. That was the Bizarro Stones, and I don't like it very much.
08-02-03 11:53 AM
Dandelion* Lux is right. You boys need to get a grip. Steelie will be more than happy to give you something to grab...

ps - leave Bono alone.
08-02-03 11:56 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Dandelion* wrote:
Lux is right. You boys need to get a grip. Steelie will be more than happy to give you something to grab...

ps - leave Bono alone.

Amen!! I think the RO women are handling this much better than the RO men.

Get over it guys!!!

LadyJ.
08-02-03 12:10 PM
throbby I think some of this whining is pretty fucking pathetic. I'm with Luxury on this one. The Stones were considered by some as mere posers back in their early years. Trying to capture the black sound they dug so much. I'm sure those in their 30's and 40's then cringed when they watched the Stones follow James Brown on the Tami show. Some of you guys are coming across as the modern day versions of Dean Martin when he made faces after the Stones performance on his show. My father, a jazz musician, was that way, complete intolerance for music you don't care for. I don't listen to Justin's stuff but I'm thinking quite a few people do. I applaud the Stones for their acceptance of all things musical. Maybe it's Mick's way of saying "let's stop living in the past". We all change as we get older, Stones included. When any of you guys can get up there and do what they do night after night then I'll say they're irrelevant.
[Edited by throbby]
08-02-03 01:07 PM
gypsy Luxury and LadyJane, I couldn't agree with you two more. I can't believe the fuss everyone is making about the Timberlake thing...it's really not a big deal. I think of it as the Stones' joke, a kind of 'fuck you'...they've been doing it their whole lives. Like Keith says, "America was supposed to hate us, but they didn't."
08-02-03 01:21 PM
Monkey Woman Gypsy, thank you for the wise words. I couldn't agree more! Let's move on, folks! The tour's not over, and I trust that next week will remind us anew of why the Stones rule!
08-02-03 02:01 PM
full moon Nice mullet.....
08-02-03 02:14 PM
Factory Girl I do not need anyone to speak for me.
JT thing was most pathetic.
08-02-03 02:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot >complete intolerance for music you don't care for. <

Yeah I would say that I am very intolerant of music that I don't like. Why would I be any other way? I like all sorts of different types and styles of music. And there is a common thread that runs through everything that I like.....it is GOOD.

I see music in 2 categories....good, and bad. Why the hell should I tolerate bad music? I don't care what anyone else pollutes their ears with, but I sure as hell don't want anything that I consider bad going into MY ears. And I sure as hell don't want anything bad mixing with the Stones.

Stones is sacred to me. And when something soils it, I see it as blasphemy. Hey look, I don't expect everyone else to take the Stones as serious as I do. I'm sick like that. Inoperable Stonesitis. All you have to do is walk into my basement room, and you can see that I have some big psychosis going on where the Stones are involved.

You can call me whatever names you want, say I'm whining, whatever whatever...I don't give a fuck. Stones is sacred, and Justin is blasphemy...and I will NEVER, EVER, accept that as something good or tolerable. Because it isn't. Plain & simple.
08-02-03 02:33 PM
Factory Girl I had an MRI yesterday. And I made the MRI staff jump & run to get a cd for me that was acceptabe to me.

The point- I'm very particular about music I listen to.
08-02-03 02:41 PM
luxury1 I had my teeth bonded while listening to Sade's Lovers Rock yesterday. Now that was cool. I am with Winter. We love our dentists. Hey, where the hell is he anyway??
08-02-03 02:42 PM
throbby This is all quite amusing. I like what Charlie said to Rolling Stone journalist Chet Flippo in '78, who must have been taking it all too seriously at the time.

"How can you write about Rock and Roll, that's silly. Rock and Roll is supposed to be fun."

Take a deep breath, have a beer, put on IORR and have a good listen to the lyrics.

08-02-03 02:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I do not see anything wrong with that FG.

You should not have to put up with shitty music just because some other people like it. If it's shitty to you...then it is shitty.

I hate "new country". I will not listen to it. Millions of other people like it, but that does not mean that I have to tolerate it.

My music world revolves around MY ears, just like your music world should revolve around YOUR ears. And we should not have to tolerate stuff that our ears don't like.

Seems like common sense to me.
08-02-03 02:49 PM
sirmoonie This is completely different. Those comparisons thromby was making are off the mark.

Justin isn't good or bad music. It isn't even "music," unless you think the theme from Saved by the Bell or Baywatch is music. Saying Justin is good or bad music is like saying Mickey Mouse is a good or bad actor.

Its like saying Martin Sheen should run the country because he does such a great job of doing it on TV.

Its like coming home on Friday after busting your ass all week for the Man, smacking the little lady on the butt, and telling her to grab you a nice, cold non-alcoholic beer out of the fridge.

If you like the Stones and have some kind of personal interest in how they are perceived in rock history, no matter how silly, irrelevant, and self-important that may be, you will find this incident to be unforgiveable.

This is either apparent to you or it isn't.
08-02-03 02:50 PM
Mother baby [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>complete intolerance for music you don't care for. <

Stones is sacred to me. And when something soils it, I see it as blasphemy. Hey look, I don't expect everyone else to take the Stones as serious as I do.

Oh Gawd. The only thing that ever soiled the stones was SS riduculous analysis.
08-02-03 03:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Rock and Roll is supposed to be fun."<

Right you are Charlie. So where is the fun in Justin Timberlake? More importantly...where is the ROCK & ROLL in Justin Timberlake? There is NOTHING remotely Rock & Roll about Justin. He's a Bubblegum Boy Band Tiger Beat Manufactured Face.

>Take a deep breath, have a beer, put on IORR and have a good listen to the lyrics.<

So I'm just supposed to say Justin Timberlake's music is just good time rock & roll, and that I gotta like it? Horsepuckey!! Timberlake has nothing at all to do with rock & roll! IORR only applies to rock music...I'm not even sure what Justin does qualifies as music, jet alone rock music! In my opinion he IS that bad.

And for a ROCK band like the Stones to lend any kind of credibility to that fuckwit is just poor, and insulting to anyone with a modicum of good taste.

08-02-03 03:04 PM
nankerphelge I remember cringing when Miss You first hit the airwaves.
The Stones? Playing a disco beat?
And when ER came out I thought that they had just lost it.

I remember my dick falling off when I first heard Mick and Jacko on that god-awful State of Shock thing - I think that was the name - I've tried to forget it and it won't go away!

Thank god I never saw the cock dance until just this past year!

For a band as sophisticated as the Stones, they have done a lot of things in their time that I just don't get. But last I checked, Mick and the boys haven't been calling me for career guidance -- they seem to have everything well in hand!

It ain't our band. They make the calls, for good or bad. We don't have to like any of them. I bet ain't one of them has lost any sleep over this.
08-02-03 03:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, and your shining examples of coherent thought really add a lot to the discussion as well MB.

Hello Pot. This is Kettle. You are black.

Sheesh.
08-02-03 03:07 PM
throbby I fear my dear tommy gun toting Winston that you have revealed much in your post. I feel as if I have been awoken from a long dark sleep.

This is truly ridiculous. 40 years of history tarnished by the appearance of Justin Timberlake on one song at one show.

My good Sir Winston, take a walk on the wild side and lighten up a little.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8