ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guest duet with Mick tonight is... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
07-31-03 06:41 AM
Mother baby Yeah...what's all the fuss about Justin Timberlake? He'll be forgotton in two years...a flash in a pan.
And I suppose since he had a very brief moment on stage with the stones one could call him jumpin' jack flash in a pan?????

[Edited by Mother baby]
07-31-03 07:26 AM
Factory Girl Ok, now we need a screenplay, screennames and a movie title.

07-31-03 08:39 AM
Boomy
quote:
telecaster wrote:

I am with jb on this one. This can't be true. If this does in fact happen my Stones life as I know it is over

I guess it's over. Good luck with finding another favorite band. There are many to choose from.
07-31-03 08:48 AM
Boomy The Stones got paid 10 Million dollars for this gig. I'm sure they could give a rats ass who was singing with them, and I could care less who sang with them.

What's the problem? As Keith said, the Stones are a business. These guys aren't the rebels they used to be. If $$$$ is there, they'll go, and who can blame them? I'm sure if they got paid $20 million for some sort of children's charity event, they would let Barney and Elmo sing "Angie" with them.

07-31-03 08:49 AM
telecaster
quote:
Boomy wrote:

I guess it's over. Good luck with finding another favorite band. There are many to choose from.

Believe Boom, it is over and I feel sick about it
07-31-03 08:51 AM
Boomy Are you serious?

I'm sure you're not the only one. Hell, how many fans do you think they lost when they found out a seat 80-100 yards from the stage cost $50 - 100?
07-31-03 09:57 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Boomy wrote:
I'm sure if they got paid $20 million for some sort of children's charity event, they would let Barney and Elmo sing "Angie" with them.

I'm sure they would too. Mick would dick dance with the remainder of Milli Vanilli on Stu's grave if he thought it would get press.

Thats why many of us are hoping/praying that the Stones officially call it quits IMMEDIATELY after this tour is over, to prevent further embarrasment. The Stones legacy means something to many of us hardcore fans, even if it means jack shit to them.
07-31-03 10:02 AM
telecaster
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I'm sure they would too. Mick would dick dance with the remainder of Milli Vanilli on Stu's grave if he thought it would get press.

Thats why many of us are hoping/praying that the Stones officially call it quits IMMEDIATELY after this tour is over, to prevent further embarrasment. The Stones legacy means something to many of us hardcore fans, even if it means jack shit to them.

Well said sirmoonie. You would expect this out of Mick but for Keith to high five the little shit, well, as you said, they don't give a shit about their legacy

I just saw Aerosmith and Kiss are going on tour together, maybe Mick will see if they can get in on that action
07-31-03 11:18 AM
twicks1 Everyone on this board crying about how the Stones are officially over, done with, finished, because of this Timberlake thing...I look forward to not reading any more posts from you.

If the band sucks so bad, has trashed its legacy so terribly, committed the unforgivable sin by letting some modern-day pop star duet with them on one freaking song...If it's just too much for you, maybe it's time to find another favorite band to follow. I'm sure that, if you can find another one that will sustain a 40-year career, they'll never do anything to let you down this badly.

The Stones will do just fine without you. Farewell!
07-31-03 11:28 AM
Joey " I'm sure that, if you can find another one that will sustain a 40-year career, they'll never do anything to let you down this badly.

The Stones will do just fine without you. Farewell! "

Well ..............................You posit some interesting points whose sheer lucidity often reflects me to say THIS :

" IN MY PANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Jacky Letterman
07-31-03 11:32 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

agreed sirmoonie, 'tho i doubt they will make an announcement - the reality will just slowly sink in

"this is the way the world ends...not with a bang but a whimper(lake)"
07-31-03 11:47 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
Everyone on this board crying about how the Stones are officially over, done with, finished, because of this Timberlake thing...I look forward to not reading any more posts from you.

If the band sucks so bad, has trashed its legacy so terribly, committed the unforgivable sin by letting some modern-day pop star duet with them on one freaking song...If it's just too much for you, maybe it's time to find another favorite band to follow. I'm sure that, if you can find another one that will sustain a 40-year career, they'll never do anything to let you down this badly.

The Stones will do just fine without you. Farewell!

Have you no shame?

Listen my friend, you are nothing more than a revisionist history apologist for Hollywood Justin Timberlake. What next? Posting pictures of yourself simulating sex with your dog???

Have you no shame?
07-31-03 12:10 PM
The Wick Twicks1, we have to get real. The real Rolling Stones died yesterday. Look, I love the band as much as anyone, but this is just unforgivable. They are all responsible, and I am not just blaming Jagger because any one of them could have stopped it. As such a loyal fan, I am ashamed and dissapointed that they would bring such garbage on stage with them. The Stones prior to yesterday will always remain the greatest, but the Stones prior to yesterday don't exist for me anymore. Elton John in the 70's (even though he was still quite weak) is one thing- even Keith Richards has praised his piano playing- but this stupid monkey Timberfake? I mean, come on, get real.
07-31-03 12:18 PM
Joey " As such a loyal fan, I am ashamed and dissapointed that they would bring such garbage on stage with them. The Stones prior to yesterday will always remain the greatest, but the Stones prior to yesterday don't exist for me anymore. Elton John in the 70's (even though he was still quite weak) is one thing- even Keith Richards has praised his piano playing- but this stupid monkey Timberfake? I mean, come on, get real. "

IN MY PANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. J !
07-31-03 12:32 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Boomy wrote:
The Stones got paid 10 Million dollars for this gig.

Cool heh.? I'm glad to see the Stones altuism on display.
pure piracy i'd say.....fuck toronto...The Stones give Opportunism a big name...and god bless em for it. viva.

altruism...sorry forgot the r
[Edited by Mother baby]
07-31-03 01:56 PM
twicks1 What? You guys are still here? I thought the Stones were dead to you. Shouldn't you be on a Zeppelin or Beatles messageboard or something?

As for you, "The Wick"...Using your logic, I expect you to refrain from purchasing any new studio albums, DVDs, or attending any live Stones shows from here on out.

All because you don't like who Mick sang "Miss You" with at one stupid concert. Please. Regardless of how you feel about Justin T., to write something like "The Stones prior to yesterday were the greatest. The Stones after yesterday don't exist for me anymore" is just ridiculous.

If the Stones announced show dates in your town tomorrow, you would be in line, dutifully shelling out for tickets...even if Timberlake was opening. And you know it.
07-31-03 02:01 PM
Mother baby
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
What? You guys are still here?

Yeaaaaah the Stones Rule....always did.....probably always will.....
07-31-03 02:45 PM
The Wick Twicks1, if you had read what I posted you would see that I never said I would never buy their albums, DVD's, and I did not say I would never go to a show again. All I am saying is that after last night, it is not the same anymore. They will likely make incredible records and perform amazingly, but they are not the untouchable band they were before having that tosser on. They will still write great songs and perform better than anyone can even dream of, but they are no longer the same (nor should they be) for most true fans. What would you have said if New Kids on the Block joined the band during Steel Wheels for a show? It is effing shameful that they allowed Timberwanker to come on.
07-31-03 02:50 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Twicks1, we have to get real. The real Rolling Stones died yesterday. Look, I love the band as much as anyone, but this is just unforgivable. They are all responsible, and I am not just blaming Jagger because any one of them could have stopped it. As such a loyal fan, I am ashamed and dissapointed that they would bring such garbage on stage with them. The Stones prior to yesterday will always remain the greatest, but the Stones prior to yesterday don't exist for me anymore. Elton John in the 70's (even though he was still quite weak) is one thing- even Keith Richards has praised his piano playing- but this stupid monkey Timberfake? I mean, come on, get real.

Well said. The Stones are done. Nobody is saying they aren't going to listen to them ever again, or that their music isn't still the greatest, or that they are leaving the board. Just that the once immortal Stones we knew are done, a joke, a parody. The Old Gods almost dead have finally died. All the things they have been accused of for years that many of us staunchly defended them for - done. Nothing left to say. They are a bunch of mindless corporate hacks, with no notion of what they were, what they are, or what to do except go whoring whatever commercial value they have left until they finally fade away ala Elvis.

Anyone who is not upset by this either doesn't realize exactly what happened, or doesn't care much for the Stones to begin with.

Its times like this, we can thank the good lord for the abundance of alcohol he has endrenched us with.
07-31-03 03:02 PM
twicks1 I guess I just don't understand why this should change your perception of the Stones. They have had plenty of "pop" singers onstage with them throughout their history, and this is no different. You are giving this whole Timberlake thing way too much importance.

Face it, this is pure Mick, totally in character. He angered people when the Stones went disco. He angered them by duetting with Michael Jackson. He angered them when he left the Stones for a solo career. This is just another calculated "Mick" move that you are needlessly getting your panties in a twist over.

You don't have to love everything the Stones do...Lord knows I don't. But you are placing WAY too much importance on this. See if your perceptions of the Stones are still "forever tainted" a few days from now...I seriously doubt you'll feel the same way.
07-31-03 03:12 PM
twicks1 It is one thing to say that you have had it with high ticket prices, poor playing, boring setlists, etc. and that's why you think the Stones are a joke. I could understand that line of reasoning.

But it is ridiculous to say that the Timberlake duet is what ruined the Rolling Stones.

You whiners had better put your money where your mouths are. If you really think the Stones are "a joke" or "a parody of what they used to be", don't go to any more shows or buy any more CDs. Why would you want to? They're just a bunch of mindless hacks!
07-31-03 03:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Moonie, I must disagree with your logic.

If that were true, why didn't they die five years ago when they did "Memory Motel" with that hack Dave Matthews? That seems like a far more grievous error than to let Justin Timberlake, who freely acknowledged that "If I were here to see AC/DC I'd hate me too", sing one lousy song with them. Is he pop trash that Mick should have never allowed within two hundred yards of the stage? Hell yeah. But the fact that he got up there is just a rather large knock for the boys, who have taken knocks like Elton John and Dave Matthews in the past.

Yeah, Dave Matthews. *That man* is the root of all evil in the music industry today. Why he was allowed up with the boys is beyond me. I don't understand why Justin Timberfuck is such a big deal in comparison.

A) Dave Matthews is simply a whiny little bastard who's every bit as manufactured as Timberlake, only he has a band with him and pretends to be "rebellious" and sings sad songs for rich suburban white kids to feel alienated with. Timberlake makes no apologies about being a pop creation. He all but admitted that he shouldn't have been up there. That gives him a few points back, certainly not enough to redeem him.

B)The Stones on Bridges were *terrible*. The Stones on Licks are *wildly inconsistant*. Why wasn't it the death knell of our boys when they were at the bottom of their game when Matthews came out?

I don't like this any more than you do. But I don't think it's the end of our boys. They've made stupid mistakes before. They'll make 'em again. But I don't think they've become media caricatures quite yet.

Be on your guard, though. The punk community is going to come after us with a vengance. And they have a right to.

-tSYX --- only rock'n'roll...
07-31-03 03:32 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Steelie, i just had Brigitte Bardot on the phone, she confirmed your avatar is a leopard!!

If that's a leopard, then I'm a mouse!
You've got yourself a nice cheetah, Steelie.
07-31-03 03:44 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:

What, like Nsync, perhaps?

Just kidding. I think we need a trauma doctor, here, so many seem injured and in pain. Dear doctor, will you kiss me and make it better?
07-31-03 04:15 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
I guess I just don't understand why this should change your perception of the Stones. They have had plenty of "pop" singers onstage with them throughout their history, and this is no different. You are giving this whole Timberlake thing way too much importance.

Hey, if you or Savagie can convince me I'm just spazzing, I'll be eternally grateful. So far you haven't. Timberlake is an entire different ball of snot than Dave Matthews, Elton John, Eddie Money and company. Those guys may suck, but they are at least real when they suck. Timberlake is something else. I'm not sure what he is, but whatever it is, Mick legitimized it, and in the process dragged at least what I have perceived the Stones and their music to be, down into it.

This is completely unlike high ticket prices, poor performances, playing Germany and hiring Nazis, overblown horn sections, knighthoods, fan clubs, lousy merchandise, poor albums, etc. This is the end of the Rolling Stones as a legitmate rock and roll band. Still the greatest ever, probably always will be, but done.

And when I'm backstage drinking with the boys after the Astoria show, I'm gonna let them know just how I feel!

Mongo!
07-31-03 04:20 PM
LadyJane
Yes....it did happen!!! Luckily I missed JT's performance, but he was pelted with water bottles!! As far as the guest appearance.....it was disturbing. I did hang my head, until I heard someone in crowd say........"Jagger is a fucking brilliant businessman." Interesting point of view.

The only thing I could think of doing was to scream at the top of my lungs "Learn from the Master, Justin...learn from the Master." That evoked quite a few strange looks.

I'm too tired and sore to write more.

SS...happy to report that it was scary...but the crowd was very well behaved and the Canadian authorities had their shit together, at least from my perspective. My legs ache and my feet are swollen, but I am A-OK and am now headed to the Sauna and Jacuzzi of the Hotel!!!

LadyJ.

PS.....Despite the guest appearance of JT, the boys were great!! I shall never abandon them. NEVER!!! Very pleased to see/hear Ronnie back on
track!!
07-31-03 04:22 PM
twicks1 Eh, it still seems like a tempest in a teacup to me. I'd be interested to check in with you in a few months, maybe after the DVD comes out or the next studio album (God willing), and see if you still regard July 30, 2003, as the date the Stones officially lost it. Somehow I doubt it...

07-31-03 04:54 PM
Boomy The motherfucking Stones are still the best.

But hey, they invite Timberlake on stage before Mick Taylor? What the heck?

Another album, please. 3 in 14 years is just wrong! It's wrong! Keith says they are not a nostalgia act. Mick says he hates nostalgia. For that, I say "Yeah Right". OK, then, get a new album out!! Please?

Go Justin, it's your birthday, bang Christina, and Britney, and Cameron.
[Edited by Boomy]
08-01-03 12:45 AM
Sir Stonesalot The alleged Dave Matthews thing never really happened. It was all computer generated fakery. And they did it again with this Justin guy...all computer generated fakery.
08-01-03 02:04 PM
magicwoman ow no why that fagget Timberpake with the stones.Whats next?? Christina A?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8