ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guest duet with Mick tonight is... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
07-30-03 07:31 AM
Lazy Bones D'oh!

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Justin & Mick duet
Justin Timberlake (gulp) will sing backup on Stones' Miss You
By JOHN KRYK and JASON MacNEIL
Toronto Sun
TORONTO -- Sorry, dreamers. There won't be any surprise Paul McCartney or Bono appearances today at SARS-stock.

But The Sun learned yesterday that the Stones will invite at least one other SARS-stock performer on stage with them. Pop star Justin Timberlake will provide additional vocals tonight on Miss You, the Stones' 1978 disco-beat hit.

Timberlake rehearsed the song with the Stones last night at Downsview Park during the band's sound check.

(Outraged? Hey, better that than Jumpin' Jack Flash.)

For weeks now, rumours have been swirling of surprise guests or collaborations betwen various SARS-stock performers.

Here's one to consider. Christina Aguilera is in town today. Like Timberlake, she performed last night at the ACC and will again tomorrow. So don't be surprised if she makes a (fitting) guest vocal spot on the Stones' Honky Tonk Women.

A good bet might have been that AC/DC guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young would join the Stones on Rock Me Baby, but that appeared less likely yesterday.

An even slimmer chance would see hosts Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi help on vocals if Mick and the boys should play, say, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love.

Today's concert features 13 acts, plus Aykroyd's and Belushi's Have Love Will Travel Revue band that opens the afternoon and evening sets.

Some acts won't get much more than their 15 minutes of fame. Most of the early acts probably will perform no more than three or four songs.

Montreal native Sam Roberts and his band should do Don't Walk Away Eileen, Where Have All The Good People Gone? and Brother Down.

So look for Kathleen Edwards to do Six O'Clock News, possibly 12 Bellevue and a cover of AC/DC's Money Talks.

French group La Chicane released a new album Ent'Nous Autres earlier this year, so a song or two should be done from that.

Bands such as The Isley Brothers, Sass Jordan, The Tea Party and Blue Rodeo have a bit more to choose from, but expect them to stick to songs that have mass appeal.

Sass Jordan, who played a free warm-up show last night at Healey's, will stick to a few songs from her newly released "best of" collection.

The Isley Brothers will probably do an extended set-closing call-and-response Shout.

Look for Blue Rodeo to do Bulletproof, Lost Together and 5 Days In May.

The Tea Party will probably perform Transmission, The Messenger and possibly a cover of Paint It, Black.

If there's a true wild card in this show, it's probably The Flaming Lips. Even lead singer Wayne Coyne might not know what they'll do until they get onstage, but look for Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, Do You Realize? and possibly Pink Floyd's Lucifer Sam.

To kick off the evening portion of the show, Timberlake will perform songs from his debut solo album Justified, but don't count out Gone and Girl from NSYNC's catalogue.

The Guess Who, depending on set length, should without question do These Eyes, Undun, American Woman and No Sugar Tonight.

Rush will do hits usually held for encores, perhaps with Tom Sawyer, The Spirit Of Radio, Working Man and Big Money.

AC/DC will take the stage prior to the Rolling Stones and should open with Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be, which they've done recently. You Shook Me All Night Long, Hells Bells, Thunderstruck, Back In Black and For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) should be considered givens. Look for a small miniature bell for lead singer Brian Johnson to smack prior to Hells Bells.

The Rolling Stones will condense things somewhat from their standard two-hour shows. They'll play for an hour and a half.

The group will want to open with a rocker, so probably Street Fighting Man or Satisfaction will fit the bill. Don't Stop has been the fourth song in the stadium setlist for quite a while so don't look for any changes. The set will also have Keith Richards possibly performing one song instead of two, so he'll probably do Happy.

The longest Stones number will be either Can't You Hear Me Knockin' or Midnight Rambler.

The show will go past 11 p.m.

07-30-03 09:31 AM
steel driving hammer Seriously, I never understood the popularity of Justin Timberlake w/ rock stars.

Has he ever written any good songs that will go down in History as a Classic? No.

Why is he so popular?

He's fans are mostly teenage girls, not adults.
07-30-03 09:34 AM
Soul Survivor Wow.......what have our boys become? God knows how much I love the Stones, but seriously.......Timberlake playing with them? What made him earn that honor? This is the time where I would have RATHER have had Bono (the Twat) or Sir Paul.

07-30-03 10:16 AM
jb I think they should consider retiring if the above rumor is true....they are now closely resembling Aerosmith.
07-30-03 10:25 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
I think they should consider retiring if the above rumor is true....they are now closely resembling Aerosmith.

I am with jb on this one. This can't be true. If this does in fact happen my Stones life as I know it is over
07-30-03 10:27 AM
Maxlugar Sickening. I'm praying he will be back off to the side with Lisa and Bernard. Just like Whoopi was that time on Jumpin' Jack Flash.

07-30-03 10:30 AM
jb Hi Max!!!!!!!
07-30-03 10:34 AM
Joey " Sickening. I'm praying he will be back off to the side with Lisa and Bernard. Just like Whoopi was that time on Jumpin' Jack Flash. "

Maxy ......................??????????

Is that really you ?!?!?!?!

Where have you been these past three months ? Man , this board has really missed your keen Stonesian Intellect and consummate posting skills .

Welcome home my Brother !

P.S. Can you throw me a bone today ?

Joeskee

07-30-03 10:40 AM
Maxlugar Hi JB!!

Like my new Avatar?

It is a recently unearthed photo from the Summer '83 Stoned shirtless guitar photo sessions.

Apparently, after laying down a few riffs, I decided to have anal sex with the family dog.

A genius even back then.....

MACKY!!!
07-30-03 10:44 AM
jb Yes, I noticed it last week under the "young photos" post. Is the dog still alive?
07-30-03 10:48 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Yes, I noticed it last week under the "young photos" post. Is the dog still alive?

No, but Maxy has a 20yr old very hairy flea bag son
that likes milkbones
07-30-03 10:52 AM
Maxlugar [quote]jb wrote:
Is the dog still alive?

I'm not sure. Strangely, soon after that photo, he ran away.

Bitch.
07-30-03 10:55 AM
FPM C10 Boy, this article is very informative - I couldn't tell if they were predicting the setlists or telling the bands what they should play - but, in the AC/DC section, "Look for a small miniature bell" was my favorite line. Them sure does rite good up there in Kanada.

Boy, that Justin Timberlake item, though. Yikes. What is Mick thinking?
07-30-03 10:59 AM
Joey " Is the dog still alive? "

No , it " passed away " in ' 88 due to Canine HIV .

Luckily its colon is preserved in a jar of Formalahide ( Sic ) .

JACKY !
07-30-03 11:25 AM
jb Mick really is a nerd as I often feared.... Keith is either completely out of it to the point where he doesn't realize how bad this is, or he is going to kill Mick shortly before the planned duet.

I also blame this on Cohl and the Canadian fans.
[Edited by jb]
07-30-03 11:27 AM
The Wick If this is true, then as much as it pains me to say it, The Stones will simply not be the same again. That might sound radical, but this is just unacceptable. At least with Jagger's thing with Micheal Jackson was outside the Stones, but this is really horrifying. There is no excuse for having a tosser like Justin Timberlake on stage with The Stones and hopefully someone will step in to stop it. The same thing applies to Christina Aguilera.
07-30-03 11:30 AM
Soul Survivor Remember Keith hitting the guy with the guitar in '81....

I have a feeling this will be a repeat

Keith will let Timberlake on stage and *bam*! Knock the mother out
07-30-03 11:33 AM
jb Yes Wick!!!!!! You are 100% correct...I will never feel the same way either...it's like Sinatra at the end of his career doing duets with the "young" people....This whole thing is Mick's way of having one last harrah, but he is really going too far with this....
07-30-03 11:33 AM
sirmoonie This really is terrible. I'm disgusted with the Stones right now.

I'd rather have Bob Hope introduce them with three large Benoit balls in his mouth, than have this fiasco happen.

How are we going to live this down?
---
Dear god,

Its me. sirmoonie. I know I haven't been exactly......ah, fuck that. Listen goddie, we BOTH have a vested interest in powershanking Justin Timberlake with a 90 gigawatt lightning strike, but only YOU have the time and resources to pull it off.

I'll leave this sitch in your capable hands.

Later. Gotta bail. Gotta jet!
07-30-03 11:34 AM
Joey You can't blame Mick for this -- I blame Cohl .

Remember , it was Cohl who allowed the " Licks " tour to bypass the Midwest last year .

Horrors .

J.
07-30-03 11:35 AM
jb And I bet Marko will still circulate the boot of this duet!!!!!!!!
07-30-03 11:46 AM
Joey " And I bet Marko will still circulate the boot of this duet!!!!!!!! "

Is Marko Jewish ??????

07-30-03 11:48 AM
jb I don't think so..however, most scandanavian coutries helped save the jew...
07-30-03 11:50 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh my God.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

I KNEW this festival was going to be trouble.

Ohhh..uhhhh...BBBBLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGG

Damn. Retching my pancreas out didn't even make me feel better.

Justin Timberlake with the Stones. My worst nightmare has come to life.

I...I...I don't know if I can forgive this.
07-30-03 11:54 AM
Joey " I don't think so..however, most scandanavian coutries helped save the jew... "

Have you seen Polanski's " The Pianist " yet ??????

Or is it too painful ??????

I believe Polanski drives a Winnebago .

J. Fly !

07-30-03 11:55 AM
Soul Survivor Willy Wyman can project into the future people. Maybe he was right for quiting the bad
07-30-03 12:03 PM
Martha I don't like to make comments along the lines of character assassination but in this case it must be said....This SUCKS and not in a good way.

My question for those astute with guitar knowledge...FPM C-10, Sir Stonesy, The Cardinal.... Which of Keef's guitars is the best one to use to split JT's skull open ......and which one does he use for "Miss You"? The clue may lie there.

Or, as JB suggests...it may be time for Keef to let Mick really have it. LOL Look out people!

Oh, the plot thickens.

What does any of this have to do with Keef's missing bracelet....another clue perhaps? Are we to witness the changing of the guard.....the second coming?

Something is brewing.
07-30-03 12:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dear Martha Cougar Menstralcramp(Should that be hyphenated?),

You know, Gibson Les Paul's are quite hefty. I think Justin's head would crack like a mellon after just one swipe. I don't recall Keith playing one on this tour, but since tonight is such a "special" show...maybe he should bust one out?

Poor Nanky and LJ!!! They are gonna be subjected to this humiliation IN PERSON!!! The AC/DC freaks will be merciless!!
07-30-03 12:12 PM
sirmoonie No earthly good can come of this union.

All kidding aside, I can't believe this is going to happen, and I agree with everyone above that this changes my feelings about the Stones. I'm sure I'll get over it, but damn if this isn't just pathetic. The Stones must have absolutely no idea who they are and who Timberlake is. Hell, I don't even know who Timberlake is, I just know he has nothing whatsoever to do with what I think the Stones are about.
07-30-03 12:14 PM
telecaster I simply can't believe this. Let's not panic until it actually happens

It can't be

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8