ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rumors on Shidoobee says 2005 " the last time" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
July 15th, 2004 11:08 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:
Did he have a lot of jewish friends?

I HAVE MANY-THEY KEEP ME LAUGHING
July 15th, 2004 11:23 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

If the term is at all derogatory down south - just remember it is coming out of the mouths of the descendents of Irish criminals of peasant stock at best, so meaningless to society that they were shipped to another (barbarian) continent - less they re join society at some point.

A bunch of beer swilling croc hunting yahoos. I'd be proud to be insulted by such.

Lambie

FWIW,we are not all descendants of criminals down here - that's an (albeit understandble) myth

my neck of the woods was first colonized (if you don't count the colinization of the aborigines about 10,000 - 15,000 years ago)by free english settlers many of whom left britain for religious reasons (similiar to the US's puritan heritage) and they were soon followed by a wave of german immigrants who left their home country for the same reason...others came to try to improve their econmic lot (see Irish Potatoe famine of the mid 1800's)

and, almost needless to say (or is it?), we are not all beer swilling croc hunting yahoos...but nice to see you'd be proud of our insults

but there you go, we ALL seem to be victims of stereo-typing and the concomitant prejudice in one way or another

however,as with all generalizations, there is some element of truth to them...anti-authoritarian attitudes are very ingrained in the "national psyche" down here

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
July 16th, 2004 05:25 AM
Gazza >I could be wrong, but i seem to recall Charlie saying: "Every time we tour AMerica, we fuck their women, take their money, piss in their hotels, then cant wait to get to a real country, like here (Oz) where the people are all so good looking, friendly and refrain from being so loud in both clothing and voice".

LOL!! Yep, I have that interview!
July 16th, 2004 07:21 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:
My Greek born US citizen grandparents used the term "dagoe" in a fond manner towards their dear Italian neighbor friends.

Hey Lambchop, didn't know you had Greek ancestors there

Now, how did this evolve into a semi-political discussion, I still don't understand, but anyway...

Speaking of racism though, very idea of it is totally ridiculous in all its aspects, and I could never understand how people would fall for it. This is one and the same planet we're on, we're all made of the same ingredients, we all leave the same bones behind - and I don't even mean all that in its sweet "let's all be brothers and sisters" dimension, but more meaning that hey, this is the reality folks, we're all the same! With what logical background could anyone discriminate? Really, really stupid idea.

Just my two cents here.
July 16th, 2004 12:06 PM
polytoxic I don't have any inside info to back up my thoughts, only logic---but wouldn't it seem only natural that they would rehearse in July put out the lp in August and tour starting in September ('05, of course) like they always do.
July 16th, 2004 12:16 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

Lambie

FWIW,we are not all descendants of criminals down here - that's an (albeit understandble) myth

Oh I know that. That's why I posted what I did!

July 16th, 2004 12:20 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

With what logical background could anyone discriminate? Really, really stupid idea.

But people in general are stupid and illogical!

Are you in Athens? My cousin wants to get the hell out of there next month if she can get away from her job.

July 16th, 2004 03:27 PM
Joey " It all boils to the fact the reign of the U.S. is coming to an end. Rome is burning! All hail our new leaders - The Chinese! Or, was it Canada?

P.S. 2 weeks to the Who, Joey baby! "

Yes , it is time for my country to pass the torch to " Big China " ........ let them baby sit the orb . Corgi , did you know that China adds 50K cars to its roads A MONTH ?!?!?! A FRIGGIN MONTH !!!!!!!!!! It's true !!!!!!!!! No WONDER gas prices are getting so high .

We just can't afford to rule any longer ( it's the Health Care Issue Ronnie ! )

For My Baby Corgi :

A REVIEW FROM A FAN ( not Jo Jo )

" The show at Madison Square Garden was as solid as the Royal Albert Show I saw back in late March in London.
Anyway...the sound was fantastic & hardly anyone sat down. It was pretty funny Daltrey losing his mic on a fast twirl & hitting someone smack in the front row -- Roger seemed pretty mortified by it all. Pete's brother Simon has been doing a lot of the backing vocals now, esp. with the heavily weighted Tommy, Who's Next & Quadrophenia set (50% of the 24 song set). Nothing from The Who By Numbers 1975 album but four songs from the post-Keith Moon efforts. During 5:15, Townshend now leads the solo charge vs. Entwistle traditionally leading the song. Daltrey's vocals were strong but in a much tighter range. "Naked Eye" was personal favorite. Some folks still think this is a new band but Bundrick's been there since '78, Starkey & Simon T. since '96 and Palladino's been doing solo work with Townshend since the early 90's -- and Pete pointed that out during a break. Those palyers are definitely not "filling in." For a second, the crowd buzzed as Springsteen's sideman (and "Sopranos" cast member) Miami Steve Van Zandt was sitting by the stage but did not perform.

Set list:
I Can't Explain
Substitute
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley
5:15
The Punk And The Godfather
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Drowned (Pete solo on acoustic)
Naked Eye (Pete & Roger solo acoustic)
Real Good Looking Boy
You Better You Bet
My Generation/Young Man Blues/Old Red Wine (combo)
Won't Get Fooled Again
1st Encore:
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey / Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Listening to You
2nd Encore:
Magic Bus "

July 16th, 2004 03:40 PM
Joey
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:
My Greek born US citizen grandparents used the term "dagoe" in a fond manner towards their dear Italian neighbor friends. Unlike the "cold in hospitable German" neighbors on the other side of the street, who they tolerated but never trusted or truly liked.

If the term is at all derogatory down south - just remember it is coming out of the mouths of the descendents of Irish criminals of peasant stock at best, so meaningless to society that they were shipped to another (barbarian) continent - less they re join society at some point. Any slurs against the Greek people who CREATED western culture, art, philosophy, etc, and the Italian "dagoes" who (besides copying the Greeks and perverting it into imperial Rome) started the renaissance...one must consider the source....and just keep it in perspective. A bunch of beer swilling croc hunting yahoos. I'd be proud to be insulted by such.

Lambchop ...................................

I just got back from lunch where I had three huge slices of " Cheese Pizza " ..................it's beginning to come " thru " right now .

Please ............................allow me :

***** Joey now grabs Lambies' bathetic , helpless and feckless little avatar , sticks it up his ass , twirls it around about three dozen times and begins to swab out his rectum so clean one could gargle in it ********

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ......Minty Fresh Indeed !!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Kaskee !
July 16th, 2004 05:51 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

Lambchop ...................................

I just got back from lunch where I had three huge slices of " Cheese Pizza " ..................it's beginning to come " thru " right now .

Please ............................allow me :

***** Joey now grabs Lambies' bathetic , helpless and feckless little avatar , sticks it up his ass , twirls it around about three dozen times and begins to swab out his rectum so clean one could gargle in it ********

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ......Minty Fresh Indeed !!!

Kaskee !

I am your de-caker now Joey...

July 16th, 2004 10:52 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

Oh I know that. That's why I posted what I did!

and i knew that - tho addressed to you, my post was more for the benefit of those that didn't
July 19th, 2004 05:26 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

But people in general are stupid and illogical!

Sad, but true! Well, but there's other kinds of people as well, where insanity and lack of logic count as pros Like us here at the nuthouse, lol

quote:
Lambchop* wrote:
Are you in Athens? My cousin wants to get the hell out of there next month if she can get away from her job.

Yes, I am in Athens, and yep, we're all trying to get out of here It's not just the fact that summer's too hot in the city, but the Olympics are going to bring some chaos due to special traffic regulations etc. especially downtown Athens, so living in the city in August will be sort of nightmar-ish I'm leaving next Friday, but the funny thing is my vacation finishes the same day the Olympics begin Now, what a lucky coincidence
July 19th, 2004 08:57 PM
corgi37 Lampchop:

Point taken! Of course, the Greeks started civilisation. Its just, that they havent advanced much in 2,000 years. Bit like Egypt. Stuck in a time warp a bit.

Whereas us convicts, harlots, drunks and crocodile hunters have created a fully blown 21st century society in little more than 200 years. So much so, that every prick with taste wants to live here. Our society is egalitarian, tolerant, modern, and full of cute and sexy chicks. If you are Greek, chances are you have relatives here. Ask them what they think of this joint, and Aussie Rules footy.

Hey, i know i offended ya. I told people not to be offended! You didnt listen, did you? haha. Sorry. Again, i didnt mean to offend anyone. I guess ya gotta be here to get my drift. To make amends, i'm off for a souvlaki for lunch today.

P.S. For your historical info, not all of Oz was a convict settlement. Only 3 states. Though, to have a crim in the family is a pretty cool thing these days. Alas, my lot have only been here since 1853, coming from U.S. (Oakham, Mass i believe). Before that, Ireland. Before that, Scotland. Check out the REAL history of Braveheart. His mummy was a relative of mine.
July 20th, 2004 08:26 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Lampchop:

Point taken! Of course, the Greeks started civilisation. Its just, that they havent advanced much in 2,000 years. Bit like Egypt. Stuck in a time warp a bit.

The Sumerians started civilization 5,000 years ago. At least in the western part of the Eurasiatic continent! In the eastern part, it was of course the Chinese.
July 20th, 2004 08:31 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

The Sumerians started civilization 5,000 years ago. At least in the western part of the Eurasiatic continent! In the eastern part, it was of course the Chinese.

Hmmmm, come to think of it, I think we can trace the beginnings of all civilization known to men, when some very very early fellow humans first saw the rolling stones... that is, the original rolling stones, as in rolling from the top of hills... And what do you know, people discover the wheel!!!

And that was my stupid post of the day Lots of time to spare and anxiety for vacation sure can do the trick.
July 20th, 2004 09:18 AM
Monkey Woman And that's how we can prove that the rolling stones were the real start of human civilization!

I hope you have a great vacation, Fotini.
July 20th, 2004 09:26 AM
jb There are now reports that the tour shall not start in eiter feb or march or 05!!! I heard U2 starts their tour in march 05, so the Stones will probably wait until summer 05 as U2 would be a be draw as they have not toured in some toime and are vastly more popular in most areas as evidenced by their selling oput every showlast tour and finishing 2nd in all time concert gross behind Vodoo lounge , which was a much larger tour....
July 20th, 2004 09:28 AM
Monkey Woman Yes, Doug at Shidoobee posted that "Word from inside the Stone's camp is that the tour will not start in either February or March."

Link to that page:
http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm15.showMessageRange?topicID=8642.topic&start=361&stop=369
July 20th, 2004 09:58 AM
Gazza >There are now reports that the tour shall not start in eiter feb or march or 05!!! I heard U2 starts their tour in march 05, so the Stones will probably wait until summer 05 as U2 would be a be draw as they have not toured in some toime and are vastly more popular in most areas as evidenced by their selling oput every showlast tour and finishing 2nd in all time concert gross behind Vodoo lounge , which was a much larger tour....

so I guess those "100% reliable" definitive reports about the tour being announced this month and opening in Phildelphia on 5th february with tickets at $1000 each and all those cities to follow in the stated order afterwards, weren't er...quite so 100% believable after all?

hate to say I told you so, but...

It's very unlikely U2 and the Stones would play in the same market at the same time. They have a lot of tour personnel in common. U2 will be in the US in the spring and Europe probably from May and into the summer.(I would imagine other markets after that) Thats been on the cards for quite some time and their touring plans are much closer to fruition than those of the Stones.

The Stones could conceivably begin their tour outside the US when U2 are touring there. Don't be too surprised if they open in somewhere like Japan.
July 20th, 2004 10:10 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
And that's how we can prove that the rolling stones were the real start of human civilization!

I hope you have a great vacation, Fotini.

Thanks Monkey Woman! Can't wait till Friday

And to actually stay on topic I mean, I know we're all anxious for the tour to start, but it's ok if it's delayed one or two or three months... What pleases me is it is going to happen, so I don't mind waiting a little for everything to be organized etc. After all, don't forget, we have to get our credit cards emptied And mine's still totally loaded, lol. Got to stay off Amazon and stuff, one too many dvds, rock biographies and new addictions (aka, Iggy Pop) don't do it much good.

The tour is on and we only have to wait a little. Which gives us only more time and space for Joey and jb posts Jeez, I wonder if that's good news or bad news ;D lol
July 20th, 2004 10:20 AM
Snappy McJack Has U2 always been known to release a new album months before a tour start? Seems like it's the complete opposite of what the Stones would do -- which isn't really a bad thing in this case. At least you get to know the songs in advance, and possibly a new hit and sing-a-long tune would rise to the top.
July 20th, 2004 10:22 AM
jb I can't imagine the Stones touring at the same time as U2 as it has been stated that their crew and techs are the same as well as management team under Mr. Cohl. It would be suicide for them to attempt to tour contemporaneously with U2, as U2 is substantially more popular as evidenced by their selling out every venue multiple times last tour. They also finished with the 2nd highest gross(just behind 94's VL tour) while not even playing stadiums. This, plus the fact that they have not toured in some time, will cause the casual rock fan to spend his/her ticket money for a U2 ticket as opposed to the Stones who have been basically non-stop for the past decade. Also, U2 still attracts substantially more young people(18-25) than the Stones.... I think that will be the case...

regrettably, we overlooked the "U2" factor as I had pointed out over 1 month ago, and we shall have to wait at least another year or more if there is to be a tour....this is very disappointing, but we should have known better as the U2 tour was mentioned by many here last year.

July 20th, 2004 10:30 AM
Snappy McJack I'm not a U2 fan, but at least the public knows that they are releasing a new album.

The best us Stones fans get is some mind-games and "rumors" that prove nothing. Just announce if you are going to release an album or not, please.

If you have to pull a publicity stunt like U2 ("Oh, someone stole our demo CD that we just left around...uh, hey Edge, what were we gonna say again? *Edge speaks into Bono's ear*...oh yes, one of the studio hands went out to get some smokes for the band, but in the process, left his CD walkman with our demo CD -- which, beforehand, he told us was a copy of the Stones' demo tapes from their 'Licks Sessions' that was given to us by the great Chuck Leavell -- at the store. The lousy bloke; but remember, our album WILL be out later this year!"), just do it!

[Edited by my nipples]
[Edited by Snappy McJack]
July 20th, 2004 10:37 AM
jb Sadly, it looks like no Stones tour in the foreseeable future assuming the U2 tour starts in march as has been reported. We have all learned a valuable lesson from this and I would like to thank Gazza for being the voice of reason throughout this "tour rumor" period.
July 20th, 2004 10:41 AM
Some Guy New Stones Rumour-
Stones 2010 tour postponed.
Stones 2010 album delayed.
July 20th, 2004 10:42 AM
Snappy McJack So is the joephillystone guy renegging his prior stance? People should have known better -- no press conference to announce a tour and a press release at the end of the month. Shit, that was enough for me to "flip the channel".
July 20th, 2004 10:46 AM
jb
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
So is the joephillystone guy renegging his prior stance? People should have known better -- no press conference to announce a tour and a press release at the end of the month. Shit, that was enough for me to "flip the channel".

No matter what happens, I want to again thank joephilly for all the info he shared with us..these things tend to be very fluid and can often change within days...,,,at least we had a few weeks of hope and it raised everyone's spirits ...we must now accept the reality of there possibly being no tour in the near future....
July 20th, 2004 11:01 AM
Joey No matter what happens, I want to again thank joephilly for all the info he shared with us..these things tend to be very fluid and can often change within days...,,,at least we had a few weeks of hope and it raised everyone's spirits ...we must now accept the reality of there possibly being no tour in the near future....

I Thank You all for your time today !

Jercee Joe !

[Edited by Joey]
July 20th, 2004 11:04 AM
Snappy McJack I like the new route you guys have taken -- after the great achievement of 10K posts, it seems you guys have matured very much (not that you were immature before, but you get my drift). Very incitful posting from you two. Keep up the good work, J & j!

I hope that I can get to 10K soon!!!
July 20th, 2004 11:18 AM
Gazza >Has U2 always been known to release a new album months before a tour start? Seems like it's the complete opposite of what the Stones would do -- which isn't really a bad thing in this case. At least you get to know the songs in advance, and possibly a new hit and sing-a-long tune would rise to the top.

Well their last album "All that You can't Leave Behind" came out around October/November 2000 - the Elevation tour to support it didnt start in earnest until the following spring, although they did a few low key gigs in late 2000.

"Popmart" tour started pretty much right after the "Pop" album came out in spring 1997.

"Zoo TV" tour opened spring '92 or so, and the "Achtung baby" album had been out a few months by then.

Only speaking from memory here, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of U2's tour history can give you more precise info.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8