ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
Đ Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rumors on Shidoobee says 2005 " the last time" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
July 14th, 2004 03:08 PM
jb
quote:
marko wrote:
Nope,didnīt do that to Joey,,,,,,i have no idea how steelie
is,or what he is doing...

Well, we did it 10k posts !!! We kept it real or as they say in spanish 'Sea realista"...baby steelie has been on everyone's minds and I am surprised he did not come out to congratulate Joey and I for the 10k...it looks like the C10 is dead
July 14th, 2004 03:42 PM
not bound to please Hi Joey. What did you have for lunch today?

July 14th, 2004 04:09 PM
Some Guy You have the worst avatar on earth.
July 14th, 2004 05:33 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
You have the worst avatar on earth.

I know! Thanks! I really tried hard on this one to beat your old one. Isn't it fabulous?

By the way - do you have the url to that old Van Halen pic?

July 14th, 2004 06:32 PM
Bloozehound The sheer sonic force of the Halen juggernaut should singe the hair off the Lionel Ritchie avator's arse!
July 14th, 2004 06:53 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
The sheer sonic force of the Halen juggernaut should singe the hair off the Lionel Ritchie avator's arse!

The sheer ironic force should singe the hair off thVan Halen avator's arse!

July 14th, 2004 10:29 PM
corgi37 Bloozehound!! Man, i love that quote! I've seen the movie its from. Ron Jeremy says it!! Unreal! Wicked scene too!

Oh, sorry about the wog reference. Gazza, you are right, i sort of just meant it in context of what i would say back in the 70's. Wog in Oz means Greek, Italian - more than Asian. We have the largest Greek population outside of Athens! I guess Yanks call them wops, or dagoes. I meant no offence by it. I was merely trying to say why i went for the Stones, and not disco. To clarify how i feel/felt about the disco explosion in the 70s's, to me, disco was a rich mans music. All white suits and glamour. Travolta for sure - i used to see a million of the wannabe's. Here in Melbourne, it was always pub rock. We have more pubs than anyone - true! And in those days, a pub always had a band you could see. It was always for white men and woman. I dont know why. I guess the (by then) 2nd generation Greeks and Italians just didnt like rock. When disco took off, the immigrant communities here finally had some thing to identify with (Travolta, white suit) and they embraced disco. So, if i went to a pub to see, say Cold Chisel, it was always me and my whitey brethren. If i went under suffrance to a disco, it was grease-ball central! hahaha. No offence meant, folks! Nowadays, its the the younger whiteys who like Emninem and nu metal, with the woggy's and Asians (we got boat loads of them in the 70's-80's) who embrace modern doof-doof music and rap. I aint knocking anybody, but disco just didnt do it for me.

I hope i dont offend people. Over here saying wog aint really a slur. I mean, we are all Aussies really, but its just a saying. All of my Greek buddies call themselves wogs. It was offensive, but they kind of took it back and turned it around and adopted the term themselves. The only comparison i could think of would be how many black people call themselves niggas, where as i wouldnt call them that. I guess the same as how poofs call themselves queer. They took a derogatory term, turned it around, and wear it proudly. I just find it easier to say wog, that type Greek/Italian/Turkish/Croat etc. My woggy mates call us Aussies "Skips". As in, Skippy - The bush kangaroo. We are all mates, united in our hatred of Muslims and those bloody Russian immigrants. In 10 years or so, the muslims and Russkies will unite with us to hate a new bunch of arrivals. Its all fun.

So, after all that, once again, i hope i havent spun anyone out. We are all Aussies, Yanks, Poms, wogs (though, there are no Slopes on here!), Krauts, Frogs, Jews, Micks - you name it.

A united, multi-colored rainbow of Stones lovers.

But, God, dont ya hate New Zealanders!
July 15th, 2004 12:04 AM
glencar How bizarre. I seconded someone's thoughts at the Shidoobee thread & I'm basically persona non grata now. I had some nerve casting doubt on the wet dreams of aging baby boomers. All hail the fearless "joephillystone"!
July 15th, 2004 12:49 AM
parmeda corgi...I just loved your last post.
I haven't laughed this hard in weeks!

I followed you up 'til the end where you stumped me on,
"(though, there are no Slopes on here!),"
...please clarify, 'Slopes'? ...lmao!
July 15th, 2004 12:58 AM
glencar "slopes" are Asians.
July 15th, 2004 12:59 AM
parmeda Thank you, dear glencar
July 15th, 2004 01:09 AM
glencar You're welcome, I guess! LOL
July 15th, 2004 03:35 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Politically incorrect (and offensive) term for someone of Asian (primarily the Indian sub continent) extraction.

that's probably the english definition gazza - poss. acronym for "western oriental gentleman"

down here it's used to refer to those "new australians" of italian or greek extraction

while i have little time for political correctness i must say corgi i find the term offensive - tho as you would appreciate many italians and greeks use the word to refer to themselves - a bit like "n****r" in the states - it's ok if black people use it but no one else - which i find to be a bit of a doublew standard

now I'M confused

anyway,

corgi - i like spiderbait's black betty too (great video) - i'm surprised your youngster didn't take to the ram jam version as they are not entirely disimiliar - excepet spiderbait incorporated a bit of acoustic/dobro guitar in it as nod to leadbelly

July 15th, 2004 07:44 AM
Some Guy
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

I know! Thanks! I really tried hard on this one to beat your old one. Isn't it fabulous?

By the way - do you have the url to that old Van Halen pic?

no, it has been retired.
July 15th, 2004 08:08 AM
LadyJane
quote:
glencar wrote:
How bizarre. I seconded someone's thoughts at the Shidoobee thread & I'm basically persona non grata now. I had some nerve casting doubt on the wet dreams of aging baby boomers. All hail the fearless "joephillystone"!

AHA! It was YOU they were talking about. LOL. I thought for sure it was our beloved Dande!!

Yeah...I saw a few angry emoticons with references to the Rocks Off Bored!!! Almost posted but then went on to read some "kinder, gentler remarks". In general, we posters all get along. We should. We are all mutants.

LJ.
July 15th, 2004 10:01 AM
glencar LJ, I was very civil even as I wrote that I doubted the rumors. I agree with Gazza's reasoning. I find the thread kind of funny but also kind of sad. I like the one guy who wrote that people who doubted the claims of joephillystone were low class & should apologize when things come to pass but of course wouldn't. What an ass.
July 15th, 2004 10:24 AM
Monkey Woman Doug generally does a good job to keep things civil at his board. He doesn't let flames go to far. He may step in too soon sometimes (like when he asked glencar to keep his criticism for RO...) but at least it's effective. The webmaster sets the tone of the board.

He seems to think this joeyphillystone is genuine. We'll see at the end of this month if the tour announcement he predicted happens or not.
July 15th, 2004 10:27 AM
glencar I ahd no problem with Doug's request, MW, as it is his board. I think JPS is full of crap & I'd like the others to see it but the universe of Stones fans runs the gamut from genuis to simpleton & some refuse to heed the wise words of the wiser among us. Plus I think the whole hotel reservations thing is frigging hilarious.
July 15th, 2004 10:28 AM
glencar I should add that I've gotten supportive PM from those in agreement with me. They know they can't post on that thread.
July 15th, 2004 10:28 AM
Gazza LOL. Christ. He's easily offended, whoever he is. Yeah I find some of the stuff a bit implausible as do a lot of people. And I don't see anything as being "set" until shortly before a tour starts even after an official announcement. Things come up which change dates or venues around for logistical reasons. It's my and anyone's right to be sceptical based on what I've experienced in past years. So what if the guy turns out to be right? Good for him. But what good is it knowing info if the only thing it's good for is an ego trip.

It's not like being privy to knowing the tour dates way before they go on sale is going to give you a better chance at getting good seats. Once the sale starts, we're all in the same boat. Are we supposed to kiss someone's ass if they're right in telling us info we can do nothing about?

Don't get me wrong, if the guy's info is accurate, good luck to him and I'm glad he shared it, and a countdown to a tour is always a bit of fun. But that's all. Some of this stuff so far in advance is hysterical.
July 15th, 2004 10:34 AM
glencar Last time, the tix went on sale about 4 months before the shows. If a tour did start in Philly in 2/05, that's 7 months from now. So this guy's timing isn't off. It's just the way he gave out info as more people asked for it. It was like watching one of those psychics who picks up info from the client & then feeds it back to them.
July 15th, 2004 10:35 AM
jb The reason I accept as 100% accurate joephilly's info is that 1)Doug would not allow blatant falsehoods to remain on his board and 2)the info seems genuinely credible given soem of the details only an "insider" might have access to. Nonetheless, things are fluid and always subject to change.
July 15th, 2004 10:38 AM
glencar This guy doesn't present them as fluid. He says that this is going to happen in early Feb next year & then he gave the other cities. Hold him to it, Joshy!
July 15th, 2004 10:42 AM
FPM C10
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
We have the largest Greek population outside of Athens! I guess Yanks call them wops, or dagoes.

My old man was an old-school racist - I think he may have even still hated the Irish, a prejudice which was pretty much over by the time Kennedy got elected. He was an expert in racism, and although he genuinely hated anyone who wasn't like him, he had friends from each of the ethnic groups he despised. Deeply conflicted - I think it stems from the fact that he came from German ancestry, and spent the mid-40s dropping bombs on Germans. Anyway, by his reckoning, "wops" and "dagoes" were strictly Italians. His best friend, Joe Scalzo, was lovingly called "Dago Joe" by everyone in my family - we didn't realize it was a nasty epithet.

I don't recall him badmouthing Greeks - I guess he didn't know any. But I think calling them "wops" or "dagos" would be unfair to the Italians. Around here they are just referred to as "those goddamned Greeks".
July 15th, 2004 10:46 AM
jb Did he have a lot of jewish friends?
July 15th, 2004 10:55 AM
Joey " My old man was an old-school racist - I think he may have even still hated the Irish, a prejudice which was pretty much over by the time Kennedy got elected. He was an expert in racism, and although he genuinely hated anyone who wasn't like him, he ................. "

Being mostly Irish myself I do NOT find this post offensive at all ........................................

What is offensive is the fact that the United States of America continues to get the " short end of the stick " whenever the Rolling Stones or The WHO tour the orb , whilst much smaller nations like Germany or Australia or even Japan get an egregiously disproportionate share of the gigs .

These continued developments by my favorite bands have left me visibly shaken to the core and quite stirred to sadness .

Indeed , tears are never far from me eyes and I have yet to determine if the tears are pure Vodka or Goldschlager .

Developing ................................................

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

Jacky Cakes !

July 15th, 2004 11:10 AM
Gazza >The reason I accept as 100% accurate joephilly's info is that 1)Doug would not allow blatant falsehoods to remain on his board

how does Doug or anyone know theyre "blatant falsehoods" until events prove them to be. You cant say those things are blatantly false without the benefit of hindsight and as Doug, or anyone else, doesn't know the exact tour info you can hardly delete someone's posts as false when you don't know otherwise.

It's not like the guy posted stuff thats FACTUALLY nonsensical, like that "journalist" posted here a few weeks ago that Bill and Taylor were going to be working with the Stones later this year - which would be logistically impractical as both are on lengthy tours at the same time with the Rhythm Kings and John Mayall respectively. THAT is a blatant falsehood.
July 15th, 2004 08:44 PM
glencar I'll bet the "journalist" & JPS are closely related. In fact, they might even live in the same house...
July 15th, 2004 10:16 PM
corgi37 Joey, as i've said before, the Stones spent alot of time in Oz because they had to get "America out of our system". They were bored there. They couldnt wait to get to a country that was bathed in a very warm summer. That had a particularly good bikini season and they could drink real beer and "good" wine, as opposed to "flagon o' piss". As Keith might have said; "We love the Yanks money, but God, its good to be out of that dump". I think i recall even Daryyl Jones saying: "I wish i was an Aussie". Mick was just glad to be "home", as he's 1/2 Aussie. As i think he said at the press conference: "Its good to be in a country that has real women in it". I really think i recall Ronnie saying he gave up drinking because he could not longer stomach U.S. beer and was ready and willing to fire up his palette for some Jacobs Creek Chardonnay and Melbourne Bitter beer. Not to mention, Bundaberg Rum.

I could be wrong, but i seem to recall Charlie saying: "Every time we tour AMerica, we fuck their women, take their money, piss in their hotels, then cant wait to get to a real country, like here (Oz) where the people are all so good looking, friendly and refrain from being so loud in both clothing and voice".

It all boils to the fact the reign of the U.S. is coming to an end. Rome is burning! All hail our new leaders - The Chinese! Or, was it Canada?

P.S. 2 weeks to the Who, Joey baby!
P.S.
July 15th, 2004 10:47 PM
Lambchop* My Greek born US citizen grandparents used the term "dagoe" in a fond manner towards their dear Italian neighbor friends. Unlike the "cold in hospitable German" neighbors on the other side of the street, who they tolerated but never trusted or truly liked.

If the term is at all derogatory down south - just remember it is coming out of the mouths of the descendents of Irish criminals of peasant stock at best, so meaningless to society that they were shipped to another (barbarian) continent - less they re join society at some point. Any slurs against the Greek people who CREATED western culture, art, philosophy, etc, and the Italian "dagoes" who (besides copying the Greeks and perverting it into imperial Rome) started the renaissance...one must consider the source....and just keep it in perspective. A bunch of beer swilling croc hunting yahoos. I'd be proud to be insulted by such.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8