ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rumors on Shidoobee says 2005 " the last time" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
July 13th, 2004 05:27 PM
Gazza http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm15.showMessage?topicID=8642.topic
July 13th, 2004 05:56 PM
Lambchop* Thanks!
July 13th, 2004 06:04 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:
Thanks!

Okay - at about which page does it start getting really looney?

July 13th, 2004 06:05 PM
Gazza page 1, 1st post!
July 13th, 2004 06:14 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Gazza wrote:
page 1, 1st post!

Too many boring concert memories...I'm reading it backwards....oy!

Josh - what are you doing in this? Are you mad?

Oh yeah..

July 13th, 2004 06:17 PM
Gazza I think you've answered your own question.

Guilt by association, your honour...
July 13th, 2004 07:13 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

Oh yeah..

Around the middle towards the end is the looney part. About the hotels -- whether they have booked the Ritz or Four Seasons in Philly. Scary thing is, I'd imagine that people will actually be standing outside of the hotel overnight
July 13th, 2004 11:44 PM
glencar I tried to speaketh the truth but they all got angry at me. Those people will not be "messed with" even if I save them hotel/airfare. Expect copious amounts of Prozac to be used on 2/9/05 in the SE Penn area.
July 13th, 2004 11:46 PM
glencar Joshy, you're just in there pulling their legs, aincha?
July 14th, 2004 12:52 AM
Lambchop*
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, you're just in there pulling their legs, aincha?

This seems akin to the time Eddie Murphy was caught with that transvestite hooker.

July 14th, 2004 12:55 AM
Lambchop*
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Scary thing is, I'd imagine that people will actually be standing outside of the hotel overnight

You can count on it...and in the hotel bar buying drinks for the crew and Blondie.

July 14th, 2004 02:05 AM
corgi37 JB, apart from being the legitimate adopted son of God, you seem to be the only one who got my point in my long ago post on page 1. Young kids, at least 90% of them, DO NOT know who the Stones are. Or, hate them for being a bunch of old crocks. What do i hear all the time? "Oh, them. Yuk, they are older than my Grandfather! And, you, Mr. Corgi, YOU, think they are cool? Nah. Eminem, man. 50cent. They are da bomb (well, Aussies dont really say da bomb, but you get my drift).

I think many U.S. fans think they our guys are still cool because their tours are always so well recieved in the U.S. Well, there's one factor in that. The heritage circuit. You guys have the largest and richest concentration of baby boomers in the world. All with disposable income and living in Florida with horrible, awful, striped pants and perfect white false teeth (well, thats what CSI:Miami taught me anyway, and if its one thing i have learnt, U.S. t.v. and movies never lie. Thats why i know every kid in U.S. drives to school in Porches and BMW's, every one either lives in massive 2 storey houses in picture perfect suburbs, or funky modern apartments and Iraq has WMD) with money to burn seeing the "old bands".

Well, here in the young, hip, funky southern hemisphere, things are different. Sure, the Stones tour here last year was well received. But, it could be because they hadnt toured here since 95, and before that, 73! Heritage aint big here. Eagles are selling well. But, Fleetwood Mac struggled, Elton John has been too scare to tour here in years (he used to come here every 2 years) and the 1/2 WHO cant even sell out their only Melbourne show (which i am going to). So, i feel my lovely U.S. mates have a slightly distorted view of things. Youre population and finacial wealth (not moral wealth - ewww! thats gotta hurt!) means its easy to get 40,000 old farts like me to a show. Aint so easy everywhere else. So, d'uh, the U.S. is the hot market for all the old timers and 1 hit wonders.

Examples? Ok...

The dork from Flock of Seagulls lives in Florida. He is married to the greatest set of fake tits i have ever seen, which are attached to a pretty decent looking blonde. 1 hit they had. 1 hit! Over 20 years ago! This prick makes a fortune! Tours constantly, playing the tacky novelty gigs with other 80's acts. Well, that guy would be broke here, maybe driving cabs, or shovelling shit. But, you guys make him rich! For shame.

Sure, some young-uns go to Stones shows. Of their own accord? Some of the few do. Most go with dad, or even Grand dad to see a REAL band. They come away impressed. Tell their friends, who then laugh at them and say Good Charlotte are playing tonight!! Then, those old Stones are forgotten. Remember, the divide between parent and child is what gave the Stones their original attraction!! It's a generalisation, i know, but pretty spot on, i reckon. How many kids seeing them, want to buy their cd's? If 10% of an audience of 20,000 is made of of youngies, maybe 5-10% of them might actually BUY a Stones cd. More than likely, they would down load a track or two.

To me, the most telling factor in all this is the 7 years between albums. When b2b came out, there was no Windows 98, no Britney, no spice girls, no Eminem. Dvd was a new novelty, known by a few. Cd burners were a long way off dream. The music world has changed so much and moved on without them. Its sad to say, but 1, maybe 2 generations of people dont need their music, because they have never experienced the thrill of running to your record shop and buying a new stones album and hearing it for the 1st time.

To most youngies, the oldest tolerated band is U2. And, that hurts me on so many levels to say that. Shit, i try to educate them, these whippersnappers, but they just dont get it. They laugh at Jaggers actions and clothes. Keith is ok, but why does he only sing these slow songs? And, why is guitar out of tune (NO KIDDING!! 2 guitarists told me that!!) and why does every song sound the same? ANd the drummer??? WTF is up with him??

hahahaha, ya gotta laugh. We lot are caught in the middle. The young ones laugh at my band, and so do my parents. Is it possible for my generation to be caught in a "generation gap sandwich"?

P.S. Not to be confused with a sandwich that Ginger Lynn used to be involved in so well in her movies. 1 in each! yay! Now, that is skill! Lets see Britney do that!

P.P.S Come to think of it, i might go to bed with that thought.

July 14th, 2004 02:44 AM
corgi37 Cause, i tell ya why i'm passionate about this. Since 1978, it has been my mission to convert people to my band. I've had many successes. My best mate, some other mates, even my mum (well, she's more into Angie and Wild Horses than Sympathy and Star, Star). But, i can dig youngies not liking them. Its like my Granddad trying to convince me Al Jolson is the bees knees.

You see, it all goes back to perception. Similar to my perception of joy at imagining Britney in a sandwich postion. Ya see, MY 70's aint the 70's that is re-hashed now. It aint Punk, Abba, Queen or disco. MY 70's was Foreigner (before they wimped out), Cheap Trick, Cold Chisel, Elton John (up to Captain Fantastic) and a smattering of Alice Cooper. Throw in a bit of Blondie and early Devo for a bit of a change. And Ram Jam! Man, that is the 70's to me. Droopy moustaches, bandannas, Harleys, flares and long hair (aint it a pity punk made all the suckers cut their hair off!). Recently in Oz, a Oz band, SPIDERBAIT had a national No1 with "Black Betty". My step-daughter loves it. I told her i preferred the original. She asked when that came out. I said about 80 years ago! But, i preferred the 77 Ram Jam version most of all. She looked at me like i was a fucking idiot! I have down loaded the Ram Jam song, and she hates it. I have been trying in vain for ages to get the clip. I love it! She's only 11 though, so she has many painful hours of Let it Bleed to go through.

But, you see, i cant believe anyone could possibly not like the Stones. I got into them in 78. I was 17, moody, rebellious, well hung and cute. You think i'd be ripe for Punk? Wrong! I saw it as the fashion sham it was. Disco? Nah, that was for wogs and coke dealers. The Stones were for me, and have been ever since. I try and try and try, but my 11 year old step kids HATE them. So does my brother. Mind you, brain washing them all the time, forcing them to listen to Some Girls or Sticky Fingers, or Exile might have some thing to do with it. My elder sister saw them in the 60's, and likes the stones up to about 66, but is a Beatles nut. My brother-in-law saw Stones at Kooyong in 73, and is a fan, but prefers Pink Floyd. My best mate is my best conversion. As was another close friend (who i havent seen in 12 years, but is now a transvestite!). Another mate, now a cop, appreciates some tracks. But, he is a Floyd tragic. And he loves the "perfect recordings" like Alan Parsons, Yes or some Santana. You know, all pristine production. However, he digs many Taylor solos, and enjoys Steel Wheels. When i play him Exile, he looks at me like i am an alien. "Its shit! Its recorded so bad! Whats jagger singing?" He just doesnt get it (shakes head).

I dont know what my point is anymore.

Well, anyway, i will continue to try to convert people. But, no record in 7 years aint easy! Its pretty hard to tell a 15 year old some thing was really cool in 1969. Its like my dad saying some thing was swell back in 1944.

But, isnt it uncanny? My dad loves nothing since Sinatra. He was ripe for rock n roll, being 18 in 1955. But, he went back a generation, and got into swing! Me? 1963, ripe for punk in 76-78, and instead, went right back to the 60's! Like father, like son eh?
Man, the best era in recorded history is 68-72 (and that is not just because of the Stones big 4). Actually, i could stretch that from 67 - 73, to include The Doors debut and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - I WILL NOT include Sgt fucking Pepper!

P.S. For more info on sandwiches, go onto Kazaa or imesh or winmx and type in "double penetration".

There you go.
July 14th, 2004 05:27 AM
Gazza Great posts. Arise Sir Corgi.
July 14th, 2004 05:38 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Great posts. Arise Sir Corgi.

gotta agree with that!!
Good post, and alot of truth in it!
Also in Holland, most people who are gonna see the stones are baby boomers, sometimes a few youngsters, but they are already in their twenties
July 14th, 2004 09:45 AM
Snappy McJack You know, I think a big reason why younger people could care less about the Stones is the fact that they don't cater to the younger generation and most wanna see a band live, and most can't see the Stones when they go on ticketmaster.com to see that the only available ticket is $90 or more, with $50 seats BEHIND the stage (may be good to some, but let's get real here). For them it's not worth it to mow ten lawns or do whatever to see the Stones when they can choose some up and coming band and see them 10 times for the price of seeing one Stones show. Hell, they could pick 5 new bands and see them twice each for the price of seeing the Stones. The Stones try to market the music to younger people ("Forty Licks" with the bright colors, big hits, luring a young person to look at the package) and market the tours to people that grew up with them, for the most part, and it's a big turn off to younger fans that may want to see them, but then turn away from the fence when they realize what else they could do with there money. Like I said, to some it's nothing to pay it (for numerous reasons) and for others, they view it as "Pay this much, or pay this much for something else".

And if most don't know them, well, that's because they are either watching MTV (no Stones mentions) or listening to alternative radio only. The things go in cycles -- parents of young Stones fans in the 60's could give a shit less about them, and now most kids of the people that grew up with them could give a shit about them. I feel like I'm a big exception -- being in my early 20's, I label them as my favorite band, but I'm one to criticize them.

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
July 14th, 2004 10:08 AM
jb Absolutely correct corgi...I have not met a person off this board or anyone under 30 who even remotely thinks they are good..Now that is certainly their lose, but the reasons are self evident...to most, the Stones are a nostalgia act inferior to the Beatles who have not put a good album out since tatoo you..
July 14th, 2004 10:13 AM
Monkey Woman jb, you know there are several fans under 30, not only at RO but at Shidoobee. I know of more on other communities (there many under 20 at the French language message board T.W.IS. for instance), who saw their first Stones show during the last tour or the BTB/NS one and they are eager to see more.

The majority of the youngsters are not into the Stones, sadly, but they still manage to attrack fine individuals in this age bracket!
July 14th, 2004 11:44 AM
glencar What's a "wog"?
July 14th, 2004 12:17 PM
Gazza Politically incorrect (and offensive) term for someone of Asian (primarily the Indian sub continent) extraction.
July 14th, 2004 12:53 PM
justinkurian What sentence was 'wog' used in? I'm curious to see what context it was used in.
July 14th, 2004 01:07 PM
Gazza In Corgi's post about how disco was portrayed in the 70's.

I don't think he meant it personally (I hope!), more as a third person stereotype on how disco was seen at that time..
July 14th, 2004 01:09 PM
jb Wog?
July 14th, 2004 02:13 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

P.S. For more info on sandwiches, go onto Kazaa or imesh or winmx and type in "double penetration".

Is this a reference to what Mick & Keef are gonna pull on their fans with the newly announced double dose of repackaged crap...

"double your pleasure, double your fun, one in the pussy & one in the bun"
July 14th, 2004 02:16 PM
Joey [quote]Lambchop* wrote:

Oh yeah..

" Oh Yeah (On The Radio) "
(Ferry)

" Some expression in your eyes
Overtook me by surprise
Where was I how was I to know?
How can we drive to a movie show
When the music is here in my car
There's a band playing on the radio
With a rhythm of rhyming guitars
They playing Oh Yeah on the radio
And so came to be our song
And so on through all summer long
Day and night drifting into love
Driving you home from a movie show
So in tune to the sounds in my car
They playing Oh Yeah on the radio
It's some time since we said goodbye
And now we lead our separate lives
But where am I where can I go?
Driving alone to a movie show
So I turn to the sounds in my car
And it's drowning the sound of my tears
They're playing Oh Yeah on the radio "

Faskee !

July 14th, 2004 02:44 PM
marko I think it should be last tour,quality of playing has been
going down since 1999.It actually started right after voodoo tour.
July 14th, 2004 02:52 PM
jb
quote:
marko wrote:
I think it should be last tour,quality of playing has been
going down since 1999.It actually started right after voodoo tour.

I said that to you many times!!!! I told you no boots past 78!!!!
July 14th, 2004 02:59 PM
marko LOL,but i said since 1994,not 1978.hehe,whats up mate anyways?I´m starting my vacation tomorrow around 8pm.
July 14th, 2004 03:02 PM
jb
quote:
marko wrote:
LOL,but i said since 1994,not 1978.hehe,whats up mate anyways?I´m starting my vacation tomorrow around 8pm.

Everythingis great..enjoy your trip..did you congratulate Joey and I for hitting 10k posts yesterday(See "We did it " thread). P.S.-How is baby Steelie?
July 14th, 2004 03:06 PM
marko Nope,didn´t do that to Joey,,,,,,i have no idea how steelie
is,or what he is doing...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8