ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rumors on Shidoobee says 2005 " the last time" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
July 20th, 2004 11:21 AM
Some Guy All that you can't leave behind is absolutely friggin brilliant!
July 20th, 2004 11:25 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Has U2 always been known to release a new album months before a tour start? Seems like it's the complete opposite of what the Stones would do -- which isn't really a bad thing in this case. At least you get to know the songs in advance, and possibly a new hit and sing-a-long tune would rise to the top.

Well their last album "All that You can't Leave Behind" came out around October/November 2000 - the Elevation tour to support it didnt start in earnest until the following spring, although they did a few low key gigs in late 2000.

"Popmart" tour started pretty much right after the "Pop" album came out in spring 1997.

"Zoo TV" tour opened spring '92 or so, and the "Achtung baby" album had been out a few months by then.

Only speaking from memory here, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of U2's tour history can give you more precise info.

There may still be a Feb 8th, 2005 date....developing..................
July 20th, 2004 11:27 AM
Gazza just checked the info on U2.com

Achtung Baby - released 18.11.91.
Tour opened, Lakeland, Fla. 29.2.92

Pop - released 3.3.97
Tour announced Feb'97, opened Las Vegas 25.4.97

All That You Cant Leave behind - released Oct. 2000
Tour announced 9.1.01, opened Miami 24.3.01

The Stones tend to release their new album shortly AFTER the start of a tour or around the same week
July 20th, 2004 11:30 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
just checked the info on U2.com

Achtung Baby - released 18.11.91.
Tour opened, Lakeland, Fla. 29.2.92

Pop - released 3.3.97
Tour announced Feb'97, opened Las Vegas 25.4.97

All That You Cant Leave behind - released Oct. 2000
Tour announced 9.1.01, opened Miami 24.3.01

The Stones tend to release their new album shortly AFTER the start of a tour or around the same week

Thanks for the info Gazza....we all will have to see how this plays out...Sadly, many people jumped the gun and already started making hotel/airfare plans before things actually had been confirmed.
July 20th, 2004 11:32 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks for the info Gazza....we all will have to see how this plays out...Sadly, many people jumped the gun and already started making hotel/airfare plans before things actually had been confirmed.

Seriously???
July 20th, 2004 11:33 AM
Gazza Josh. I have to congratulate you on hijacking a thread which had been already hijacked and restoring it to it's previous on-topic status..
July 20th, 2004 11:37 AM
Gazza >Thanks for the info Gazza....we all will have to see how this plays out...Sadly, many people jumped the gun and already started making hotel/airfare plans before things actually had been confirmed.

Jesus. You're kiddin' me. There's one born every minute. Scratch that, there's dozens. What's the bloody advantage of booking a hotel this far in advance anyway. It's gonna cost the same and it's not like there arent enough rooms in Philadelphia to go 'round, microscopic city that it is (!) Unless you'd already got "insider" info on where the band were staying and wanted to try and stay in the same pl... ah, so THAT's the idea!
July 20th, 2004 11:40 AM
Gazza > I can't imagine the Stones touring at the same time as U2 as it has been stated that their crew and techs are the same as well as management team under Mr. Cohl. It would be suicide for them to attempt to tour contemporaneously with U2, as U2 is substantially more popular as evidenced by their selling out every venue multiple times last tour. They also finished with the 2nd highest gross(just behind 94's VL tour) while not even playing stadiums. This, plus the fact that they have not toured in some time, will cause the casual rock fan to spend his/her ticket money for a U2 ticket as opposed to the Stones who have been basically non-stop for the past decade.

If the Stones kept their ticket prices down, they could tour every year and would outdraw U2 in almost any market in the world no matter if they played in the same city in the same week.

>Also, U2 still attracts substantially more young people(18-25) than the Stones.... I think that will be the case...

simple reason why. They can afford to see U2. They cant afford to see the Stones.
July 20th, 2004 11:40 AM
Snappy McJack Went over to Shidoobee to see if JPS would react to the latest news:

quote:
i am not full of $h!%.
this thing goes off in february, '05.
book it!!!!!
and i'll say this...................it goes off without a hitch because of the uniqueness of the venues!

"Uniqueness of the venues"? What, are they going to play, ampitheatres? Fairs? I don't see anything "unique" about playing in major markets at major arenas. You think they would shell MSG for something like the Pepsi Arena or whatever other small arena is in NY? I don't think so. Maybe he means more club dates, which would be a good thing!
July 20th, 2004 11:45 AM
jb Look, they only sold out 57 out of 115 shows.....many arenas had thousands of seats empty but were shielded by sections having been curtained off(e.g. AAA in Miami). They still made a huge profit by charging more for 75% of the seats. This tour will be even more difficult to sell as they have been overexposed to all but us die hards over the past years. Consequently, new and innovative ticket price structuring must be initiated to ensure profitability. I think most of us hard core fans would gladly pay 500-100o for some of the benefits these premium packages offer. I for one, would actually save money under this scenario....rather than complaining this time, lets thank the Stones, and particularly the great Mr. Cohl, for once again thinking of us, the real fans, who will be there no matter what.
July 20th, 2004 11:55 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
jb wrote:
Look, they only sold out 57 out of 115 shows.....many arenas had thousands of seats empty but were shielded by sections having been curtained off(e.g. AAA in Miami). They still made a huge profit by charging more for 75% of the seats. This tour will be even more difficult to sell as they have been overexposed to all but us die hards over the past years. Consequently, new and innovative ticket price structuring must be initiated to ensure profitability. I think most of us hard core fans would gladly pay 500-100o for some of the benefits these premium packages offer. I for one, would actually save money under this scenario....rather than complaining this time, lets thank the Stones, and particularly the great Mr. Cohl, for once again thinking of us, the real fans, who will be there no matter what.

Nah, I think you can be a hard-core fan and not "gladly" pay that much to see them.

Ticket prices will get higher and higher, mostly because they are relying more and more on tremendous theatrics (huge monitors that split into 4 separate ones to film each member -- I'm sure that's a massive part of the budget) and not so much on the music. As you (jb) and others have said, mostly only Mick and Charlie are the studs in the band as of late, so to cover for some deterioration, they need a big show with lights, big screens, a video of a lady riding a tongue, etc. to make it a huge event -- sometimes the music seems secondary.

And yeah, let's thank Michael Cohl. While we are at it, let's thank the Stones for their ability to rely on the keyboard player to be the leader of the band.

July 20th, 2004 01:02 PM
Soldatti I said here that the new tour will start on April 2005 according to info from some producers, but with U2 on the road at the same time, meybe we must wait to the Summer of 2005, June/July.
July 20th, 2004 01:12 PM
Stones Hopefully they will use the extra time to really concentrate on making a great album. They took there time with Voodoo Lounge and it was excellent( for me ). Bridges to Babylon seemed rushed and it showed.
July 20th, 2004 02:28 PM
Gazza > Look, they only sold out 57 out of 115 shows.....

Maybe..but you'll find the vast majority sold about 98% of the available tickets. If you take the capacity of all those venues into account and then look at the amount of tickets they sold, thats a more realistic way of looking at it rather than whether the shows sold out or not. The size of venues roughly matched the demand (with the exception of the theatre shows). In most markets, there were just enough seats to go around, but they werent largely oversubscibed. Thats doing your homework. After all, you can only sell up to 100% of the available tickets, not more.

>many arenas had thousands of seats empty but were shielded by sections having been curtained off(e.g. AAA in Miami). They still made a huge profit by charging more for 75% of the seats. This tour will be even more difficult to sell as they have been overexposed to all but us die hards over the past years.

not to mention overpriced

>Consequently, new and innovative ticket price structuring must be initiated to ensure profitability. I think most of us hard core fans would gladly pay 500-100o for some of the benefits these premium packages offer.

speak for yourself! I'm a "hard core fan" but I know a scam and a poor value rip off when I see one, and it gets worse with each tour. The novelty of seeing the Stones isnt just wearing off for those who just see them once in their lives and had numerous chances to do so, its wearing off for a large amount of us who don't have a bottomless well of disposable income, who have real lives and who have a limit on how many times they can have their intelligence insulted.

> I for one, would actually save money under this scenario....rather than complaining this time, lets thank the Stones, and particularly the great Mr. Cohl, for once again thinking of us, the real fans, who will be there no matter what.

Yes indeed, a "real fan" is someone who will risk bankruptcy to pay ridiculous prices. You might call someone who will pay literally any price theyre asked to a "real fan", I'd call such a person a fucking idiot. I'll let you off on this one as I know from your last sentence, your tongue is in your cheek! Oh,and Michael Cohl is a c**t.
July 20th, 2004 02:36 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Josh. I have to congratulate you on hijacking a thread which had been already hijacked and restoring it to it's previous on-topic status..

That's my Baby ..........................Nobody can Hijack a thread like my Baby Josh .....................

NoBody !

Ninea !

" Stones Rule "

Surcee !
July 20th, 2004 02:37 PM
Moonisup if the stones where a bit smarter they'd reduce the ticketprice and that would, as gazza pointed out, draw a younger public
I really don't know why they are so greedy
July 20th, 2004 02:43 PM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
if the stones where a bit smarter they'd reduce the ticketprice and that would, as gazza pointed out, draw a younger public

The Stones love money like we all do...they also have many "investors" who have a large stake in the profitability of the tour....
July 20th, 2004 02:47 PM
Joey
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

.............because they are the greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World ( THE WHO are up there too ) and it is THE BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky Cakes !
July 20th, 2004 03:03 PM
Gazza >The Stones love money like we all do...they also have many "investors" who have a large stake in the profitability of the tour....

How can you love what you'll never spend? Pointless. If they channelled that obscene wealth and diverted it somewhere where it would be of some benefit then they'd get some respect

http://www.itv.com/news/721659.html
http://www.dec.org.uk/

Why should we pay a week's wages to feed some lazy descendant of Mick's who probably wont even be born for another 200 years anyway and who wont even have to work a day in his life as a result?

Some people's sense of perspective are up their ass.
July 20th, 2004 03:14 PM
jb Gazza, those are noble causes and deserve the world's attention...however, for better or worse, we live in a socirty where money is king .....I personally donate several thousand dollars a year to cause i support such as 'Camellus House", "Habitat for Humanity" and "Feed the children"...I am sure Mick and the boys do their fair share of donations, even if it is for tax purposes.
July 20th, 2004 03:18 PM
F505 Great!
July 20th, 2004 03:19 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
Great!

Look, they only sold out 57 out of 115 shows.....many arenas had thousands of seats empty but were shielded by sections having been curtained off(e.g. AAA in Miami). They still made a huge profit by charging more for 75% of the seats. This tour will be even more difficult to sell as they have been overexposed to all but us die hards over the past years. Consequently, new and innovative ticket price structuring must be initiated to ensure profitability. I think most of us hard core fans would gladly pay 500-100o for some of the benefits these premium packages offer. I for one, would actually save money under this scenario....rather than complaining this time, lets thank the Stones, and particularly the great Mr. Cohl, for once again thinking of us, the real fans, who will be there no matter what.
July 20th, 2004 03:19 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Gazza, those are noble causes and deserve the world's attention...however, for better or worse, we live in a socirty where money is king .....I personally donate several thousand dollars a year to cause i support such as 'Camellus House", "Habitat for Humanity" and "Feed the children"...I am sure Mick and the boys do their fair share of donations, even if it is for tax purposes.

I personally donate several thousand dollars a year to a cause I wholeheartedly support : my daily alcohol habit .

Word !

Jacky ... Jacky ... Jacky !!!!
July 20th, 2004 03:20 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

I personally donate several thousand dollars a year to a cause I wholeheartedly support : my daily alcohol habit .

Word !

Jacky ... Jacky ... Jacky !!!!

There was a weird story coming out of Nebraska today..did you see it on Druge?
July 20th, 2004 03:22 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
There was a weird story coming out of Nebraska today..did you see it on Druge?

July 20th, 2004 03:24 PM
F505 I would personally donate thousands dollars for a good cause: the Stones making a good record!
July 20th, 2004 03:28 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
I would personally donate thousands dollars for a good cause: the Stones making a good record!

See Mick Taylor
July 20th, 2004 03:30 PM
F505 When I look at him I see a lot of meat
July 20th, 2004 03:32 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Joey wrote:

See Mick Taylor

{CA - RACK}

That was a tator, Joey. Right over the Green Monster!
July 20th, 2004 04:40 PM
Gazza >I would personally donate thousands dollars for a good cause: the Stones making a good record!

LOL

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8