ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rumors on Shidoobee says 2005 " the last time" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
July 10th, 2004 01:14 AM
Bob Tamp well, after reading shidoobee about the 2005 tour, and IT WILL PROBABLY BE THE LAST TOUR( but they may do occassional performances but no tours), I have gotten really fucking depressed again. Rumors of a last tour have been legendary since 1969, but now with Mick finishing up the 2005 tour at 62 years old, I think this really could be it. Unless you live in NYC or London you aint going to catch a one off performance after the next tour.

It actually hit me like a death. I am now 42, and first saw Mick and company in 1972 when i was 10 on the Dick Cavett show and fell in love. I went straight from David Cassidy and the Putrid family to the Stones, and have never looked back.

True fans dont care about a big stage, and Mick dancing. We just want the music to continue.They should continue to tour theaters, sitting on stools,and playing blues like SPIDER and THE FLY off the STRIPPED TV Show. It could really be the best Stones yet.

They have given all of us a sense of identity for over 40 years. I know the time is going to come sooner than later and the reality is that the show must end, but I am not ready yet.

Enough wallowing in my self pity. Time to put out another great record boys.
July 10th, 2004 06:46 AM
crb69 Yeah, let's hope for a new kick ass CD and pray that certain members of this band PRACTICE this time around! I'm tired of hearing that they already know the songs. We all love it when the boyz play "off the cuff" but please be tight! Mick & Charlie were holding it together on the last tour if you ask me.
I'm just tired of defending the World's Greatest Rock n' Roll Band to certain ignorance. Keef passed a comment years ago about when a musician is hungry they play better. These older bands who have millions in the bank are pretty content. Guys like Kid Rock give it 110% cause they are still trying to make it. Very few well off musicians still play hard like Mick Jagger always has...we've seen Eddie Van Halen screw up recently, aside from others. So I have to ask ,where is the hunger?
July 10th, 2004 07:39 AM
Monkey Woman I'm quoting the depressing statement by joephillystone about this being "the last time":

quote:
there is a growing opinion amongst stones management to announce this as a last tour. not a last live performance, but a last tour, meaning there would be future performances, but not a full tour!

Note how he phrases it: an "opinion" among Stones management (i.e. probably Mr Cohl...), a concern about the boys not being up to a new big tour after that one. Well, that's a real possibility. But remember that what we have here is a 2nd hand info about the opinion of someone who works with the Stones but IS NOT the Stones.
July 10th, 2004 07:40 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
crb69 wrote:
Very few well off musicians still play hard like Mick Jagger always has...

Amen to that!
July 10th, 2004 03:06 PM
Dan *yawn*
July 10th, 2004 08:04 PM
Snappy McJack Opening with the "The Last Time"............

Calling the tour "The Last Time"..........

Opening night February 8, 2005 in Philly......

Live album instead of new album........

$1000 tickets........
July 10th, 2004 08:22 PM
Dan I hope they keep to their word "no more farewell tours." Farewell tours/shows tend to be downright depressing, except in the case of the 2000 KISS "Farewell" tour which just plain sucked - "aren't you gone yet?"
July 10th, 2004 08:33 PM
Main Offender OH this is all hearsay!! I'm getting very tired of it all. Remember what Ronnie said: "We'll die on stage". I wish Shidoobee would put a lid on all this......until we know something for sure.;
July 10th, 2004 09:08 PM
LadyJane I agree, MO. I want to see or hear the press conference/release for specific details.

But I do tip my hat to those "in the know" who have shared knowledge with us and kept our hopes alive that we would see the Band in 2005. Thank You!!

LJ.

BTW..Main Offender..do you hail from my neck of the woods (Buffalo)?? We may just have to get together.
July 10th, 2004 09:38 PM
T&A The Stones will never announce a farewell tour - it will happen "naturally."
July 11th, 2004 08:33 AM
Steel Wheels This news is not from Cohl's office - who would dare let ANYTHING slip to outsiders?

This is plain old internet rumour, created by bored people and eaten up by us die-hard fans.

Bottom line is the Stones have huge egos, and they will not shelve the Stones for solo projects, art galleries, broads, or vacations.
July 11th, 2004 08:33 PM
corgi37 Well, i feel it will be the last tour. For so many reasons.
1. Age
2. Many fans dying out.
3. Many fans going onto pension and cant afford tickets.
4. Not enough young fans to replace above.

Lets face it. About 99% of young kids have no idea who the hell they are. Sad fact, but IT IS a fact. Not only that, the tiny percentage of kids who DO know who they are, hate them. Hate them more the Beatles fans. For every 16 year old you can show me who likes them, i can show you 20 who dont know/hate them. 1 out of 20 is not going to be a viable tour, know what i mean? I'm all for them touring on stools and no frills. But, i dont like the idea of paying $400 for it.

But, there is a positive if it is the Last Time. (By the way, the title of that tour has already been done here in Oz by probably our biggest artist, John Farnham. His last single was, yep, a cover of the Last Time). Anyway, the positive is that at least once a year for the next 100 years, we will get the unreleased stuff officially released. Bring on CS BLues, the 75 tour, vaults and vaults of unrealeased songs (songs that would be better than what they could do now, if the 4 tracks of 40 Licks demonstrates). Bring it on.

Hey, its gotta end one day. I'd rather see a fully restored version of CS Blues, or a remastered 75 tour dvd, than listen to Honky Tonk Women again (complete with Chuck Leavall keyboard kick - argh!).

Um, well, maybe not, but if they do call it quits, i could live with it. They wont tour here anyway, the fuckers.

July 11th, 2004 10:01 PM
CHIEFMOON But I thought the "Last Tour" was the Licks Tour?
July 12th, 2004 12:38 AM
getsatisfied I saw a clip on the 4 Flicks dvd after the tour ended. They all said they where going to take some time off, do some previously agreed to gigs with others and most likely tour one more time. I believe it was Keith who said he would die on the stage because it's all he knows. The new album needs to be just as good or better than anything they've ever done as it will be their last. People will always remember this album if it is in fact their last. The Rolling Stones owe us nothing. They have given us one of the greatest gifts and that is a lifetime of wonderful music,wonderful stories and wonderful memories that will last infinitley. If the album is not the best or close to it I hope they don't release it. Alot of sports heros have hung on too long and have done themselves damage. I don't want to hear anyone say that The Stones are all washed up. Retire while you're still on top. You owe us nothing!!!
July 12th, 2004 12:42 AM
T&A Corgi:

You are "dead" wrong about the losing of fan base. There are new fans emerging everyday who are fed up with the "kids" music scene. I was just at the Allmans/Dead show last week - I'm 44 and I was easily in the top 10% of oldest fans. Most were in their teens, 20's and 30's. And it was a sold-out show. The same holds true with the Stones and other older bands.

They could easily support large-scale (arenas, at least) tours for another 10 years, God willing....
July 12th, 2004 01:25 AM
Soldatti Your post is great Corgi and I'm almost 100% with you. The main reason for the lack of new fans is the lack of new albums. Anybody Seen My Baby was a trash according to many fans but the song got a lot of airplay on the radios, TV and reached good positions on the charts. I remember when Voodoo Lounge came out here in Argentina, it was a madness. The people loved the album a had a lot of plays on the radio. Now they not are releasing nothing now, and the question is: why they will do new fans?
The young people that know they, want new albums, not tours with $300 tickets. Not all the people can spend that money.
Here (Argentina) the Stones are very popular, but I'm starting to feel that this popularity is getting down and "CLONES" groups are taking his place. Many people are forgetting them. Last week on the radio some people were bashing the band for this 7 years of nothing new. We need a new album soon, very soon and this album must have "something" different, not a new "Start Me Up" but something very catchy for the people. A double album is the best marketing idea for the next release, imagine the expectation for this album: "The Rolling Stones come back after 8 years with a double album". This could save the legacy of the band, I think.
If you ask what I want, the album or the tour? the album is the answer, and without thinking. That is the main priority and
all this re-re-re-re-releases is worst than release nothing.
July 12th, 2004 01:55 AM
marko I´m with soldatti 150%.
July 12th, 2004 03:57 AM
FotiniD
quote:
CHIEFMOON wrote:
But I thought the "Last Tour" was the Licks Tour?

My point exactly Chief! This "last tour" hype is starting to get on my nerves. Guys, really: we've been talking about it, reproducing it, hearing it and getting angry with it FOR ALL THE PAST TOURS!!! Aren't you sick and tired of it? I am 100% positive the Stones would never announce a farewell tour - I think most of you agree on that. I'm also 100% positive even they don't know when they'll stop. IMO the only thing that could stop them now would be bad health. And so far all's fine - with the odd problem, ok, but not bad enough to stop them from touring.

They don't need a new fanbase! They've got all the fans they need, older AND younger, a whole many of them, and I don't think they need to do stuff to attract new fans. You either get it or you don't, as Frank Zappa would say.

Sorry for sounding a bit absolute and all, but I'm so tired of the same old boring debate which starts EVERYTIME just before the tour. Stop worrying, stop making predictions and let's all enjoy the music while it's here people.

Mick Jagger: I would like to ask the Stones a very original question. Is this going to be your last tour?
Keith Richards: Yes, this and the next five!

And that was Babylon. No Security: 1, Licks: 2 - so that leaves us with about 3 more, am I right?
July 12th, 2004 04:09 AM
Moonisup
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

Hey, its gotta end one day. I'd rather see a fully restored version of CS Blues, or a remastered 75 tour dvd, than listen to Honky Tonk Women again (complete with Chuck Leavall keyboard kick - argh!).

I totally agree with that
July 12th, 2004 04:17 AM
egon
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
They wont tour here anyway, the fuckers.

You make me gigle
July 12th, 2004 10:53 AM
mickmask 'Cmon folks, do you really want to see band of 75 yr. olds trying, and I quote 'trying', to turn us on with their cool guitar riffs and sexy stage moves??
Reality check here... right now they're fantastic (for their ages), but it's got to end somewhere. I mean these guys are bound to be tired, physically and otherwise. Just because they 'can' do it doesn't mean it isn't difficult,(for them). I've got 60 yr. olds in my family that are in great shape... but I don't think they'd be up to the rigors of a world tour! LOL.
I love them just as much as everyone here, and it's because I do that I understand when 'enough is enough'.
I think someone said ..let them go out while their still on top... ABSOLUTELY.
mm.
July 12th, 2004 11:01 AM
glencar I wouldn't mind if this was the last time. I wouldn't take anything that Joephillystone at face value. I'm not saying he's lying. I don't know the guy. I just find it funny that the Philly office would learn all this other stuff about other cities. But the speculation is fun & I like reading that thread.
July 12th, 2004 11:07 AM
Snappy McJack The one that really gets me is a "rumor" that Bill is going to do something with them.

The McQueen person that posts here has started two threads in recent months that are very vague, kind of like he knows something that is going on, but he won't really tell. Stuff like "Welcome back, Bill, we missed you".

Anyways, we shouldn't get our hopes to high about anything yet. I've seen the "what should they open with?" and "how's the stage gonna look?" threads at some of these boards already. WTF, we don't know jack!
July 12th, 2004 11:17 AM
glencar Well, this joephillystone might be honest & accurate so I held back a little bit. No sense shooting the messenger when they speak the truth. It just seemed a bit funny that he would hear all the news in his little office.
July 12th, 2004 11:19 AM
Snappy McJack I don't blame you for the doubt. As I said, when it's not exactly published or released through the press, there will always be doubt, so I can't really understand why someone would get mad at you for not believing it.

July 12th, 2004 11:22 AM
glencar He threatened to stop posting there if people kept saying they didn't believe him. I didn't want to ruin the "pleasure" for the other people so I let it go. I bet 98.7% of what he wrote turns out to be total BS - much like Joshy's posts!
July 12th, 2004 11:25 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
glencar wrote:
He threatened to stop posting there if people kept saying they didn't believe him. I didn't want to ruin the "pleasure" for the other people so I let it go. I bet 98.7% of what he wrote turns out to be total BS - much like Joshy's posts!

When I read that, I felt like this guy was acting a bit odd. It's like, if you are 100% certain about something, and you say that it's the truth, how could someone that doubts you force you to act like that and stop posting? Something very fishy about that attitude.

\
\
\
\
\
\

Looks like jb & Joey are taking the day off.
[Edited by Snappy McJack]
July 12th, 2004 11:32 AM
glencar Yeah, Joey's busy & Joshy has to hold off so he doesn't come ahead of Joey. Very nice of him.
July 12th, 2004 11:43 AM
jb Corgi is a great man....his post is so dead on ....Kids despise the Stones...My parters son is working here for the summer and listens to Zep and the Beatles...I tried to turn him own to the Stones and he said he was never into them...they have very little fan base left ...
July 12th, 2004 11:46 AM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
Corgi is a great man....his post is so dead on ....Kids despise the Stones...My parters son is working here for the summer and listens to Zep and the Beatles...I tried to turn him own to the Stones and he said he was never into them...they have very little fan base left ...

Thx the savage young izzy!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8