ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Pavillon D'Ermenonville - 22 September 1970
© Christian Simonpietri
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Don Imus thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13th April 2007 04:03 PM
monkey_man
quote:
pdog wrote:

Just type a period and hit submit.

Is this some kind of slander against menstruating women. . .what's wrong with you people?
13th April 2007 04:08 PM
pdog
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Is this some kind of slander against menstruating women. . .what's wrong with you people?

you're right!
Might time to close up shop...
I know moonie is beside himself, he is so offended...
13th April 2007 04:09 PM
jb lil jackie and the pain of love tonight
it;s all right, tonight...lil jackie
she knows just what to do, and it'll be
all right, tonight....
13th April 2007 04:33 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
lil jackie and the pain of love tonight
it;s all right, tonight...lil jackie
she knows just what to do, and it'll be
all right, tonight....

JB & JOEY .............................

...keepin' it real .

...and doin' it for the kids !!!!!

ALWAYS .... the kids .
13th April 2007 04:42 PM
pdog Joey, you will never be allowed near my children.
13th April 2007 05:07 PM
texile
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

So what happens when the tables are turned and the very powerful christian fundamentalist voting block decides to flex their muscle by creating a shitstorm over say, a talk show with a gay theme (or anything similar) because their lifestyle is offensive. It isn't a very long stretch to see where this is headed.

this is already, unfortunately a reality -
but to equate that with a stupid, denigrating comment by a shock jock is placing it out of context.
cloaking this incident in the realm of 'free speech' or bringing up these political correct conspiracy theories is WAY out of context and gives imus' words more credence than they're worth.

13th April 2007 05:49 PM
purrcafe [quote]texile wrote:

cloaking this incident in the realm of 'free speech' or bringing up these political correct conspiracy theories is WAY out of context and gives imus' words more credence than they're worth.[quote]

You need to look at this as more than just one isolated case, frozen in time. Just as Imus statements had repercussions, it is entire possible that those repercussions, meant as a corrective action will do far more harm than good. What I suggest is hardly a conspiracy theory, much less politically correct. I never liked Imus and still don't, but I believe that by creating this frenzy around him a non-event has given birth to a lynch mob. I don't know about you, but I don't want or need anyone, be they politician or religious figure "helping" me by deciding what THEY think is appropriate viewing or listening. The choices are limited enough as it is, particularly for those of us with the maturity to dismiss the mutterings of an ass as nothing more than that. I prefer to not see a revival of the gentle art of book burning.
[Edited by purrcafe]
13th April 2007 06:03 PM
pdog The politicians are on it, Hillary will be speaking at the college... {sigh}
13th April 2007 06:06 PM
pdog When all is said and done, who will be the decider of the moral compass we must follow?
13th April 2007 06:21 PM
purrcafe
quote:
pdog wrote:
When all is said and done, who will be the decider of the moral compass we must follow?

I'd rather remain my own moral compass, but I guess I can't be trusted to act in my own best interest.
13th April 2007 06:46 PM
texile
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
[quote]texile wrote:

cloaking this incident in the realm of 'free speech' or bringing up these political correct conspiracy theories is WAY out of context and gives imus' words more credence than they're worth.[quote]

You need to look at this as more than just one isolated case, frozen in time. Just as Imus statements had repercussions, it is entire possible that those repercussions, meant as a corrective action will do far more harm than good. What I suggest is hardly a conspiracy theory, much less politically correct. I never liked Imus and still don't, but I believe that by creating this frenzy around him a non-event has given birth to a lynch mob. I don't know about you, but I don't want or need anyone, be they politician or religious figure "helping" me by deciding what THEY think is appropriate viewing or listening. The choices are limited enough as it is, particularly for those of us with the maturity to dismiss the mutterings of an ass as nothing more than that. I prefer to not see a revival of the gentle art of book burning.
[Edited by purrcafe]

at the risk of seeming contradictory, i actually agree with your post..
i despise any type of political correctness , and yes, turning this inot a media storm DID give the words more credence...
but people, not just the team, were offended and disgusted by the comments because they were so uncalled for and blatantly degrading....
yes, it was an isolated incident - and imus paid the price for it,
that fact doesn't destroy the foundation of a of free-speech society.
13th April 2007 06:50 PM
sirmoonie Amazing what people in this country concern themselves with. Continues to be amazing.
13th April 2007 07:01 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Amazing what people in this country concern themselves with. Continues to be amazing.

Moonie .......................................

My heart just aches !

************* IT'S PUB TIME *****************

Bye Bye Kids .... Bye Bons !!!!!!

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
13th April 2007 08:08 PM
pdog Is that your goodnight post?
13th April 2007 11:04 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

Moonie .......................................

My heart just aches !

************* IT'S PUB TIME *****************

Bye Bye Kids .... Bye Bons !!!!!!

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !

Hey Joe-smoker, did you see this in the youtube thread? Fucking unreal!

14th April 2007 11:17 AM
Chuck Is this why corporate America dumped Imus?

============

FEBRUARY 14, 2005

SPECIAL REPORT

Business Week

I Am Woman, Hear Me Shop

Rising female consumer power is changing the way companies design, make, and market products -- and it's about more than adding pastels Who's the apple of marketers' eye? It's not free-spending teens or men
25-50. It's women, thanks to their one-two punch of purchasing power and decision-making authority. Working women ages of 24-54 -- of whom the U.S. has some 55 million -- have emerged as a potent force in the marketplace, changing the way companies design, position, and sell their products.

Women earn less money than their counterparts -- 78 cents for every dollar a man gets. But they make more than 80% of buying decisions in all homes. And women shop differently from the way men do: Females research more extensively and are less likely to be influenced by ads. "Today's woman is the chief purchasing agent of the family and marketers have to recognize that," says Michael Silverstein, principal at Boston Consulting Group and author of Trading Up: The New American Luxury.

SOARING INCOMES. Smart companies already have. Product manufacturers are paying more attention to style and form, and marketers are shifting away from TV ads in favor of promotional efforts in venues women trust: reviews in women's magazines and spots on TV shows like Oprah and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. "Pinched for time and skeptical, these women are forcing marketers to look at more ways than ever when pitching a product," says Kelley Skoloda, director of global brand marketing practice at Ketchum, a communications firm that assists companies on marketing strategies.

Women's decision-making authority has grown in part because more households are headed by women -- 27% at last count, a fourfold increase since 1950. Their buying power has grown, too. In the past three decades, men's median income has barely budged -- up just 0.6% -- while women's has soared 63%. Some 30% of working women outearn their husbands, notes Martha Barletta, author of Marketing to Women: How to Understand, Reach and Increase Your Share of the World's Largest Market Segment. And 75% of women with the title of vice-president or higher at Fortune 500 companies outearn their husbands, bringing home on average
68% of household income, according to Barletta.

Little surprise that companies -- including businesses that largely overlooked women in the past -- are trying to woo this key consumer. Not long ago, Home Depot (HD ) marketed its power tools and drywall to men, but it's now aggressively pursuing women with classes that teach them how to do home repairs. It's also pursuing entertainment partnerships with home improvement shows like Trading Spaces, which are widely watched by women.

NEW LUXURY SECTOR. Banks and financial-service companies, including Citibank (C ), Merrill Lynch (MER ), and Charles Schwab (SCH ), have created entire departments that market investment products exclusively to women. Indeed, it would be a mistake to ignore this fast-growing segment of wealthy individuals. The Employment Policy Foundation says the number of women earning $100,000 or more has tripled in the last 10 years.

This deeper-pocketed female consumer's aspirations and taste have given rise to the new "mass luxury movement," where the mainstream public has become aware and acquisitive of designer and brand names previously solely in the domain of the affluent. Karl Lagerfeld, the doyen of haute couture, designed pieces for mass retailer H&M that sold out in hours, and discounter Target (TGT ) has such names as Isaac Mizrahi, Cynthia Rowley, and Liz Lange in its stable of designers. Brands like Coach
(COH ) are making handbags and key chains at lower price points, and Mercedes (DCX ) and BMW (BMW ) are putting out cars that middle-class consumers can afford.

Not that reaching this type of shopper is without challenges. The female consumer is very busy and has a complex web of duties that makes her less than readily available. Take Shubha Varma, a 39-year-old vascular surgeon and mother of two children, ages 5 and 1. On a typical day, she gets up at 6 a.m. After a short exercise routine, she wakes up her older child and makes sure he brushes his teeth and eats breakfast, then drives him to preschool after handing the baby to the sitter.

PR CRUCIAL. Through it all, Varma is mentally ticking off the things she has to do that day: remembering to pick up milk that ran out, schedule an appointment with her kid's music teacher, and decide what she will put on the dinner table that night for the family.

Forget multitasking -- women like Varma are "multiminding," a newly coined buzz phrase that describes the process of simultaneously thinking about various things. Marketers have found it hard to grab such women's attention with TV ads. "Today's woman has less time and is such a tough consumer she has single-handedly pushed marketers to actually go to PR budgets," says Silverstein. "She reads magazines and wants to know the detail around products." That's one reason marketers are increasingly emphasizing product placement, sponsorships, and shaping editorial content over TV ads.

That's why it was good news for Dell (DELL) when Oprah's Favorite Things
2004 Shopping List included two of its products, the $199 Dell Pocket DJ and $2,199 30-inch LCD TV. In the two weeks after the episode featuring Oprah's List aired, sales of Dell's plasma TVs spiked, accounting for
70% of its units sold during the holidays.

MOTORBIKE SALES Retailers have had to change their approach to the women's market as well. "Women do a lot of homework beforehand and aren't willing to be dazzled by the salesperson who doesn't bring any practical information," says Wendy Liebmann, president of WSL Strategic Retail and author of How America Shops. To give female shoppers the kind of information they're looking for, Best Buy (BBY ) is retraining its floor sales staff to talk to women in practical terms, not in jargon or geekspeak.

The increased spotlight on the female shopper is even starting before the marketing and selling phase in some cases. Computer maker X2 is coming out with lighter laptops in nontraditional colors. In 2003, contractor Barbara Kavovit, CEO of Barbara K Enterprises, launched a line of tools ergonomically designed to suit a woman's smaller hand.
(And they come in blue, not pink.) "Women are defining the new value equation -- combine the practical with the esthetic," says Liebmann.

This empowered woman hasn't escaped the notice of Harley-Davidson (HDI). In November, it added a section on its Web site for female bikers, with tips on appropriate gear and how to ride safely. Harley says it was responding to the growing popularity of motorbikes among women: Sales to women grew to 10%, or 23,000, of all bikes sold in 2003 vs. just 2% in

iPOD EXAMPLE. Marketers warn that retailers and manufacturers assume that marketing to women is as easy as changing the color of a product to pink. "If you're serious about reaching the female consumer, you have to care about her and get to know what she desires," says BCG's Silverstein. It's critical they understand the female consumer's needs and dissatisfactions, and come up with ideas and solutions, as Best Buy has done.

Best Buy and Dell are both optimistic that their women's initiatives of the last six months will boost their bottom lines. And if Apple's success with the iPod mini is any indication, such optimism is well-founded. Women are lapping up a majority of the multicolored minis, contributing significantly to Apple's dramatic 74% sales increase in its fiscal first quarter that ended Dec. 25.

Whether their efforts involve retraining sales staff or redesigning products, companies that pay attention to the female consumer could hit the mother lode.
14th April 2007 11:19 AM
MrPleasant Some people just can't handle a joke.
14th April 2007 02:53 PM
Angiegirl I have never heard of the people you're all talking about here, but what does Oprah say about all this?
14th April 2007 02:55 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
I have never heard of the people you're all talking about here, but what does Oprah say about all this?

She will probably say: happy birthday SSC!!!
14th April 2007 03:11 PM
Angiegirl Probably because it's not your birthday yet.
14th April 2007 05:34 PM
Joey
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Probably because it's not your birthday yet.

Congratulations once again Angiegirl .
14th April 2007 06:59 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
I have never heard of the people you're all talking about here, but what does Oprah say about all this?

She's the one who probably did the firing.
14th April 2007 07:32 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves America's preeminent $3 dollar hooker, Hillary R Clinton, had something to do with Imus getting fired.
I just know it
14th April 2007 07:43 PM
pdog
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

She's one of those americans that talks a good game about tolerance and forgiveness. Except in a case like this! The basketball team will be appearing on her show soon...
these ultra PC liberals are doing the grunt work for the far right... There was a time that liberals stuck together, I think it was in the mid 70's for about 3 years...

14th April 2007 07:43 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Hey Joe-smoker, did you see this in the youtube thread? Fucking unreal!

Bless You Moonie !

You are much loved by Joey

15th April 2007 12:49 AM
sweetcharmedlife Thank God. No more Imus. Now all of us nappy headed hoes can sleep tonight.
15th April 2007 02:22 PM
gimmekeef Oprah Windbag will have the true story this week no doubt...After she wolfs down her third burgher....
15th April 2007 03:07 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
Thank God. No more Imus. Now all of us nappy headed hoes can sleep tonight.

So what exactly does a nappy headed ho translate to? I get the "ho" part, but what's the first part mean?
15th April 2007 03:53 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

So what exactly does a nappy headed ho translate to? I get the "ho" part, but what's the first part mean?

Uncombed kinky hair is referred to as "nappy" and requires a pick with a black power salute handle to fix. Black kids often tell each other to "get your naps out" as a means of scorn and derision.
15th April 2007 04:04 PM
pdog
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

I tell me one year old he's a nappy head when he's tired. I never even considered that I was being racist. My wife says "nicker nap" to him, seems she is defitely pushing the bar. I think people are fucking idiots! To show my outrage I will not pick up any white people in my cab tonight.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)