ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Pavillon D'Ermenonville - 22 September 1970
© Christian Simonpietri
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Don Imus thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12th April 2007 08:51 PM
pdog that Westerbeg avatar is the shit!
12th April 2007 08:52 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
The only thing about this that pisses me off..is Imus blew Keith snortin his dad off the front pages.....Theres just no justice...

Rough justice for Imus, that's for sure.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
12th April 2007 08:53 PM
pdog and now it is gone....
Bring back paul...
12th April 2007 09:13 PM
lovelymocca
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Look the fact is that Don Imus is a certified asshole. What he said is flat out deplorable,but,and in this case there is a mighty big BUT,the company that just fired him is CBS. CBS records is the purveyor of some of the most mysogynistic,racist,sexist hip hop and rap records ever released. Yet you won't see CBS do shit about them! Why? Money! Plain and simple. The very people that are supposedly so deeply offended by this idiot's remarks are themselves responsible for these words even being in fashion! Ho many 50 Cent records use the word ho? All these rap artists rap about women in the most disparaging way imaginable yet I don't Jesse or Al saying shit about that!

When are Jesse and Al going top book their flights for North Carolina to go personally apologize to the Duke lacross players? Do ya think that apology will be forthcoming? Do you think the media will hold them accountable for dragging these "rich white boys" names through the dirt?! Of course not! These two race baiters will continue to fan the flames of racism in order to line theeir own pockets! They are dispicable. The black community should shun them and shun them hard. They are only causing more damage to race relations in this country. That,of course,is exactly what they re trying to do though. When will people call them on their blatant hypocrisy and double standards!

Riffy

First to address your rap concerns.

There have been calls against rap for a long time.

I do believe Al & Jesse were involved.

See because it affected blacks there was never any real meadia hype about it, only in the black communities.

The female students at Howard protested when rapper Ludacris was scheduled to perform.

There was just about 8-10months ago a real movement to clean up rap. It was never made public because the big 3 will not report it unless it's something negative.

Unfortunately the rappers said pretty much what they're syaing now: they're only reporting what's in their lives blah blah blah...

There were several prominent black magazines, that went after the rappers and many continue to do so today.

So just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean there has been real anger in the black community toward the rappers for a long time.

Now as far as the Duke University players.

I for one feel a rush to judgement was made big time.

HOWEVER! When you see these "criminals" who were jailed for rape many years ago and DNA finally frees them, the faces are more often than not minority faces particularly black faces.

Some are as recent as 10yrs old.

Black men have been accused of rape, and many only recently were found to have never done the crime.

This is a major part of american culture.

So for them to go out of their way to apologize to these boys is uncalled for.

They shoudln't say anything, seeing as how black men many times NEVER see an apology, only years taken away that can never be given back.

These boys were lucky, how about the ones both black and white, and other races who weren't so lucky.

Let them get on with their lives and hopefully they can get back to being somewhat normal.

They don't need a media frenzy of Jesse & Al.

(note: I NEVER condemned those boys ever. race is NEVER a factor to me I always take a wait and see attitude and I agree with the AG decision)
[Edited by lovelymocca]
12th April 2007 09:27 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
pdog wrote:
and now it is gone....
Bring back paul...

It was too big. Just wanted one thumbnail...
12th April 2007 09:33 PM
Riffhard Hey lovelymocca I must totally dissagre with you about Al and Jesse. How anyone can not see what these two jokers are about stuns me! They are nothing but race baiters. They both DOowe the Duke players an apologize. What happened to some innocent black men accussed of rape has absolutly nothing to do with these kids in NC. They were hung out to dry by Jesse and Al simply because they were white and rich. The good Revs jumped on that story simply to insinuate themselves into the fray and promote themselves.

Follow this link and read about the wonderful Rev Al Sharpton for yourself. The man is a complete dissgrace! That the black community would hold him up as a leader is sick. http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=27826

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
12th April 2007 09:42 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
That the black community would hold him up as a leader is sick.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]

Worse is that the Democratic party took him even half-seriously as a presidential candidate.
12th April 2007 10:29 PM
pdog
quote:
lovelymocca wrote:

First to address your rap concerns.

There have been calls against rap for a long time.

I do believe Al & Jesse were involved.

See because it affected blacks there was never any real meadia hype about it, only in the black communities.

The female students at Howard protested when rapper Ludacris was scheduled to perform.

There was just about 8-10months ago a real movement to clean up rap. It was never made public because the big 3 will not report it unless it's something negative.

Unfortunately the rappers said pretty much what they're syaing now: they're only reporting what's in their lives blah blah blah...

There were several prominent black magazines, that went after the rappers and many continue to do so today.

So just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean there has been real anger in the black community toward the rappers for a long time.

Now as far as the Duke University players.

I for one feel a rush to judgement was made big time.

HOWEVER! When you see these "criminals" who were jailed for rape many years ago and DNA finally frees them, the faces are more often than not minority faces particularly black faces.

Some are as recent as 10yrs old.

Black men have been accused of rape, and many only recently were found to have never done the crime.

This is a major part of american culture.

So for them to go out of their way to apologize to these boys is uncalled for.

They shoudln't say anything, seeing as how black men many times NEVER see an apology, only years taken away that can never be given back.

These boys were lucky, how about the ones both black and white, and other races who weren't so lucky.

Let them get on with their lives and hopefully they can get back to being somewhat normal.

They don't need a media frenzy of Jesse & Al.

(note: I NEVER condemned those boys ever. race is NEVER a factor to me I always take a wait and see attitude and I agree with the AG decision)
[Edited by lovelymocca]

So Don Imus is paying for the injustices done to black men in the past? How does saying nappy ho, and all the idiot things he said, b/c it was his job to be an idiot, get him fired? He got fired b/c Ak Sharpeton got on a soapbox...
How boring this world will be when everyone is so worried they might offend someone... WTF... So , am i to assume you condone going after an artists right, to make whatever and music they chose to do. Music is just that... Whether you like it or not... I'm pissed at Sharpeton b/c he's a hipocrite about what a whiteman say and what a black man says, and they way he responds. I've never lived in an all white neighborhood... And since I was a kid, i've been hearing black people use the word nigger like a noun, verb, adj. ect... But I can't say it, b/c I'm white... Bullshit, it's not valid anymore. Cultures have crossed, clashed, melded... no one owns a word, and no one owns the offensiveness of the word anymore. If anything, with all the success of black artists, b/c of words like nigger, and being gangsta, and a pimp, it's now offically a part of society today. This stuff no longer carries the stigma of racism and segregation.
We're all niggers now! Al Sharpeton can suck my pink nigger dick! He's now my bitch, the tired old ho, he is...
My question is, i was told for years, by black folks, they took the words back from the white racists and slave owners of old... If they took them back, then they have no more power anymore, and are irreleivent. Unless you're one of the PC uptight assholes, that is just waiting to be offended, or even worse, waiting for someone else to be offended, so you get attention. And that is bullshit...
12th April 2007 11:22 PM
Steel Wheels Getting rid of Imus was only about money. They paid him too much and he did not have an audience. Morning drive is the only audience that matters to advertisers, and he had ZERO ratings in over 70 markets. I live in Philly, and I've never met a listener, EVER.

No one listened to his show. If advertisers were selling their products like wildfire, no one would back away from Imus. They would continue to support Imus and plug their shit all morning long.

What this does is bring a huge amount of attention to who replaces Imus, and hopefully that will attract the advertising dollars for CBS. CBS has been in a free fall for over a year now, so many this will help them.

Who really gives a shit about broacast radio - I'm on Sirius and haven't looked back. I have a channel that plays John Lee Hooker music just about every time I turn it on...thank god for Sirius.
13th April 2007 12:43 AM
pdog sirius is great. ch. 25 garage and 29 punk for me and my wife listens to stern...
13th April 2007 09:48 AM
Joey

Please ................

Everyone --- Let's all drop to our knees and say a prayer for the Legendary Don Imus !
13th April 2007 09:52 AM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Please ................

Everyone --- Let's all drop to our knees and say a prayer for the Legendary Don Imus !

You call cock sucking praying nowadays... That's cool, suck one for the old guy! you go girl!
13th April 2007 10:42 AM
Steel Wheels Sirius is fantastic. I listen to Stern, Blues 74, 50's, 60's, and the 3 jazz channels.

Stern is the best.
13th April 2007 11:32 AM
lovelymocca
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Hey lovelymocca I must totally dissagre with you about Al and Jesse. How anyone can not see what these two jokers are about stuns me! They are nothing but race baiters. They both DOowe the Duke players an apologize. What happened to some innocent black men accussed of rape has absolutly nothing to do with these kids in NC. They were hung out to dry by Jesse and Al simply because they were white and rich. The good Revs jumped on that story simply to insinuate themselves into the fray and promote themselves.

Follow this link and read about the wonderful Rev Al Sharpton for yourself. The man is a complete dissgrace! That the black community would hold him up as a leader is sick. http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=27826

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]

See you will NEVER agree with me simply
because you don't understand.Mr. Nifong definitley should
apologize and he has.

IMO, he was wrong.
He said these boys did thisand then you had the "media's" appointed black leaders because truth be told blacks
don't have leaders nor do they follow anyone.

The injustice done to black men currently,
previously, and futurly, has caused major damage.

Al & Jesse they are nothing in this.
Their hooting and hollering weren't going to convict ANYBODY!

However the news media can be very instrumental in having someone convicted especially in a high profile case. And in some local cases.

I've never seen anyone convicted on anything AL& Jesse
said, but I've seen people convicted in the media lynch mob!

The central park jogger case AL opened his big mouth but
those boys were convicted and it turned out they didn't do it!

They were convicted by the media who isn't
made up of minorities.

Blacks have not gotten an apology for a lot of things.

Black men who have been convicted unfairly,one just released earlier this week after 10yrs in prison, and DNA cleared him received NO apology.

You and I will agree to disagree.
[Edited by lovelymocca]
13th April 2007 11:34 AM
Nellcote I completely forgot about this great tune by Stevie Wonder.
Imus is vindicated, as a black man wrote this!!!

I Wish-Stevie Wonder

Looking back on when i
Was a little nappy headed boy
Then my only worry
Was for christmas what would be my toy
Even though we sometimes
Would not get a thing
We were happy with the
Joy the day would bring

Sneaking out the back door
To hang out with those hoodlum friends of mine
Greeted at the back door
With boy thought I told you not to go outside,
Tryin your best to bring the
Water to your eyes
Thinkin it might stop her
From woopin your behind

I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ev-er have to go
Cause I love them so

Brother says hes tellin
bout you playin doctor with that girl
Just dont tell Ill give you
Anything you want in this whole wide world
Mama gives you money for sunday school
You trade yours for candy after church is through

Smokin cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall (you nasty boy)
Teacher sends you to the principals office down the wall
You grow up and learn that kinda thing aint right
But while you were doinit-it sure felt outta sight

13th April 2007 11:38 AM
lovelymocca
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I completely forgot about this great tune by Stevie Wonder.
Imus is vindicated, as a black man wrote this!!!

I Wish-Stevie Wonder

Looking back on when i
Was a little nappy headed boy

It was not the nappy headed comment.

It was the whore comment. (ho isn't short for hostess)

He called these educated black women whores.

They have to go to school. They were private citizens who
he dragged into his low class world.

He disparaged 19yr olds. (young kids who did nothing to him)
13th April 2007 11:39 AM
purrcafe
quote:
texile wrote:
this isn't about free speech..

Maybe not in the sense of violating the First Amendment, but it contributes to a climate where free expression becomes dangerous. I think Imus stepped in shit and that he was exposed as a fool, but the long term repercussions of firing people who make unpopular statements are very scary indeed.
13th April 2007 11:44 AM
Joey
quote:
lovelymocca wrote:

They have to go to school. They were private citizens who
he dragged into his low class world.

He disparaged 19yr olds. (young kids who did nothing to him)

He said he was sorry ..... what more do you want ?!

Jeeez ( Feej )

Why ?!

13th April 2007 11:52 AM
pdog
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

Maybe not in the sense of violating the First Amendment, but it contributes to a climate where free expression becomes dangerous. I think Imus stepped in shit and that he was exposed as a fool, but the long term repercussions of firing people who make unpopular statements are very scary indeed.

Even more true considering his job was basically to do and say stupid things.
13th April 2007 11:57 AM
lovelymocca
quote:
pdog wrote:

So Don Imus is paying for the injustices done to black men in the past? How does saying nappy ho, and all the idiot things he said, b/c it was his job to be an idiot, get him fired? He got fired b/c Ak Sharpeton got on a soapbox...
How boring this world will be when everyone is so worried they might offend someone... WTF... So , am i to assume you condone going after an artists right, to make whatever and music they chose to do. Music is just that... Whether you like it or not... I'm pissed at Sharpeton b/c he's a hipocrite about what a whiteman say and what a black man says, and they way he responds. I've never lived in an all white neighborhood... And since I was a kid, i've been hearing black people use the word nigger like a noun, verb, adj. ect... But I can't say it, b/c I'm white... Bullshit, it's not valid anymore. Cultures have crossed, clashed, melded... no one owns a word, and no one owns the offensiveness of the word anymore. If anything, with all the success of black artists, b/c of words like nigger, and being gangsta, and a pimp, it's now offically a part of society today. This stuff no longer carries the stigma of racism and segregation.
We're all niggers now! Al Sharpeton can suck my pink nigger dick! He's now my bitch, the tired old ho, he is...
My question is, i was told for years, by black folks, they took the words back from the white racists and slave owners of old... If they took them back, then they have no more power anymore, and are irreleivent. Unless you're one of the PC uptight assholes, that is just waiting to be offended, or even worse, waiting for someone else to be offended, so you get attention. And that is bullshit...

No one said anythging about Don Imus paying for injustices in the past. Where are you getting that from?

Don is paying for what Don did and that was to call young
college student whores before the world. Girls who everyone know which school he was talking about because he said it.

The girls were now easily identifiable. They had to go to class, and he's calling them whores. Why?

If this were an office he would have been fired there too
for labeling a co-worker.

He disparaged their reputations. Why?

You said it was part of his job to say idiotic things.
Is it also part of his job to call 8 young girls easily
identifiable whores in which they would be embarrases since they still go to school? They pay him millions to do that?

You get paid to call women whores over FCC government airwaves? Those girls families pay taxes too.

As for the music you see these artists CD's are not sponsored by Amex, GM, P&G etc.....

As i recall they still beep out those words in records.

Now I do not defend music at all. Free speech had nothing to do with people thinking they had the right to put down others. Free speech had to do with the right to protest and such which was not available in England.

And lastly as for your question about the "N" word let me say this.

Why do you want to use it? Please answer that.
13th April 2007 12:00 PM
LadyJane "It was the whore comment. (ho isn't short for hostess)

He called these educated black women whores"

Do you have a problem with the fact that Whoopi Goldberg's production company is called One Ho Productions?

Tell me why that is acceptable?

I don't think anyone here is supporting Imus. His remarks were disgusting.

We DO see a double standard, however.

YOU seem to think that due to OUR race we cannot possibly understand.

THAT is a racist concept, imo. Is it not??

LJ.

13th April 2007 12:07 PM
lovelymocca
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
"It was the whore comment. (ho isn't short for hostess)

He called these educated black women whores"

Do you have a problem with the fact that Whoopi Goldberg's production company is called One Ho Productions?

Tell me why that is acceptable?

I don't think anyone here is supporting Imus. His remarks were disgusting.

We DO see a double standard, however.

YOU seem to think that due to OUR race we cannot possibly understand.

THAT is a racist concept, imo. Is it not??

LJ.

It may be a racist concept but I haven't been shown anything otherwise to counteract it.

And as far as Whoopi, she can call herself what she likes.

That includes any woman of any race.

If Nancy Grace, or Paula Zahn, or Connie chung wants to call her production company One Ho she's got the right.

But don't let me call them that on a public stage.

I'd be called to task and rightfully so.

Oh and I have no desire to call them that. Unlike others who would feel they call themselves that so why can't I.

Why would I want to call them that is the real question.
[Edited by lovelymocca]
13th April 2007 12:08 PM
jb I am personally glad he got fired as I have learned more about not only his "ho" comment, but some of his anti-semetic comments. Fuck him-let him spend time banging his hot young wife in their penthouse in Manhattan...
13th April 2007 12:13 PM
pdog
quote:
lovelymocca wrote:

No one said anythging about Don Imus paying for injustices in the past. Where are you getting that from?

Don is paying for what Don did and that was to call young
college student whores before the world. Girls who everyone know which school he was talking about because he said it.

The girls were now easily identifiable. They had to go to class, and he's calling them whores. Why?

If this were an office he would have been fired there too
for labeling a co-worker.

He disparaged their reputations. Why?

You said it was part of his job to say idiotic things.
Is it also part of his job to call 8 young girls easily
identifiable whores in which they would be embarrases since they still go to school? They pay him millions to do that?

You get paid to call women whores over FCC government airwaves? Those girls families pay taxes too.

As for the music you see these artists CD's are not sponsored by Amex, GM, P&G etc.....

As i recall they still beep out those words in records.

Now I do not defend music at all. Free speech had nothing to do with people thinking they had the right to put down others. Free speech had to do with the right to protest and such which was not available in England.

And lastly as for your question about the "N" word let me say this.

Why do you want to use it? Please answer that.

This is my point exactly, you're argument is basically telling us how these girls feel. Who the hell are you to do that... Not only are you being offended for someone else, you're taking this to the level of their lives are beuing ruined. WTF! do you not leave your house, people are assholes on the streets, and I hear all kinds of stuff. Are we gonna go around and tell everyone what to do and say? I never siad I need to say the word nigger, I hear it so much, that it shouldn't matter if I ever say it or not. It's like the word cunt. I can call someone it, I can put my face in one, and babies come out of them... Some people don't like the word, is that my problem? People should have the right to be stupid, if they continue to do so, it's their choice. No one has ever died from being called a cunt or a nigger... There's plenty of people who suffer from "isms" and act on them, that never utter a single slur.
So go on about how bad these girls have it... and tell me, who was worse, Imus or the asshole who brought a 15 second soundbite to theri atttention.
I say the person who made them aware of t, otherwise, they would never know. People have said horrible things about me, that i've never been told, and my life goes on... I wish I knew, so I could feel bad and have you go get them fired, especially Imus, he's offended my Jewness... This is retarded and you're retarded... Oops, Now the retards are angry... FUCK! I can't say fuck... God damn it! Oh no, now the religous folks are offended. Thus is gay! Now the fags are marching! UGH! I said marching, now I've made it miltant... The army is now dragged into this...
Don't say anything about gay, jews in the military, religions will be offended and god will kill a retard.
13th April 2007 12:15 PM
LadyJane "Why would I want to call them that is the real question."

I agree with you.

Why anyone would want to annoint themselves with a derogatory label is beyond me.

It seems many find it humorous. Not me.

I am glad that you posted your feelings, lovelymocca.

Makes for a more diverse discussion.

LJ.
13th April 2007 12:18 PM
pdog
quote:
lovelymocca wrote:

It may be a racist concept but I haven't been shown anything otherwise to counteract it.

And as far as Whoopi, she can call herself what she likes.

That includes any woman of any race.

If Nancy Grace, or Paula Zahn, or Connie chung wants to call her production company One Ho she's got the right.

But don't let me call them that on a public stage.

I'd be called to task and rightfully so.

Oh and I have no desire to call them that. Unlike others who would feel they call themselves that so why can't I.

Why would I want to call them that is the real question.
[Edited by lovelymocca]

There's a difference between wanting to do something, and being told you can't do something. you have choice... You can, not call Whoopi a ho! I can call whoopi a ho. Take away my right, and you might lose your freedom to choose! Ultra liberal PC crap, is no different than clampdown oppression!
how would feel losing the right to disagree with me?
13th April 2007 12:21 PM
jb Did Jesse "Hymie Town" Jackson go after the Stones with Brown Sugar? Didn't some lesbos go after Stones for Black-nBlue promo?
13th April 2007 12:22 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Did Jesse "Hymie Town" Jackson go after the Stones with Brown Sugar? Didn't some lesbos go after Stones for Black-nBlue promo?

You are tarnishing what should be a time of national healing after Imus's dismissal!
13th April 2007 12:23 PM
monkey_man It seems ridiculous that Imus gets fired for a stupid joke. He has been a has been for at least 20 years. His schtick was bad, morning, drive time "humor" The are many jocks on the radio whose intent IS malicious and that that say hateful things on a regular basis. No one goes after them because they are skilled at keeping their hate in acceptable code words.
13th April 2007 12:23 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

You are tarnishing what should be a time of national healing after Imus's dismissal!

I am distancing myself from your post.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)