ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ - 27th September 2006 - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
29th September 2006 03:28 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
throbby wrote:
Hey, I was at that show as well. A beautiful fall day.

It amazes me what I've seen at Stones shows.

my cousin picked me up on his way to the show - FROM ALAKSA!!!

Mick was ill, but a great time

plenty of whipit balloons in the parking lot that day. Ronnie would of been pleased.

I spent the night at an after hours den with a stripper...

[Edited by Saint Sway]
29th September 2006 03:53 PM
purrcafe
quote:
MB81 wrote:

This from a fan of the band that sang:

That's right, and more of a fan than you will ever be, I'm certain. What is amusing is that if you had any idea the type of person I am you would be embarrassed at the ageist bullshit that you mistakenly think is cleverness. But, actually being of the 60s, as you say that you wish you were, what would I know?
29th September 2006 03:55 PM
purrcafe
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

I wasn't obnoxious about it though, and I always take other people into consideration when I'm in these situations.

And I bet that if I sat near you, I wouldn't be bothered in the least. Yours is the attitude that I wish would dominate the shows.
29th September 2006 04:05 PM
Saint Sway also... I cant stand "concert farters"

you know who you are

please stop
29th September 2006 04:33 PM
purrcafe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
also... I cant stand "concert farters"

you know who you are

please stop

And I always thought those people were just part of the stage show.
29th September 2006 04:34 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

you know who you are

please stop

LOL! It's true! Someone dropped a bomb - or, as Gazza would say, an "air biscuit" - in very close proximity to me the other night. Sneaky bastard!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
29th September 2006 04:38 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
people who sit at rock concerts suck. Please, just stay home.

I was at the Who and had old dorks on bookends of me sitting the entire show. If you're that bored, then just go home.

People should stand and have fun and get into the show.

however...

• if you've drank to the point where you shouldnt be in public (i.e. falling over, shouting random shit, spilling beer, being billigerent etc) then go home.

• if you're knocking into people around you: STOP

• if you're fat/large please be mindful of where you're body ends.

• did I mention don't touch me?

• Dont sing/yell in my ear.

• if its not your seat, get out. Go find your seat. Same goes for cheap friends that you're trying to squeeze into my row.

• dont talk on your cell phone. (that goes for any public place where others dont need to hear you yapping on the phone - restaurants, coffee shops, trains, elevators...)

• if you need to get in and out of the aisle more than 3x during the show, you better be bringing me a drink on your way back.

• I cant believe I even have to mention this one, but I've been unfortunately witness to this at Stones show... so... FYI: THEY HAVE BATHROOMS FOR YOU TO URINATE IN!! Use them please.

• if you have to vomit, its time to call it a night and go home.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm with MB81, though. There are lots of old lame asses at Stones shows and it does suck the vibe out of it. If you go to a Pearl Jam show or an Oasis show, just for examples sake, you'll notice the energy difference in the crowd is like night and day.
29th September 2006 04:54 PM
purrcafe
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm with MB81, though. There are lots of old lame asses at Stones shows and it does suck the vibe out of it. If you go to a Pearl Jam show or an Oasis show, just for examples sake, you'll notice the energy difference in the crowd is like night and day.

Old lame asses? Please. There is no rule book saying that rowdy, drunk, and inconsiderate is the model for concert behavior. There has to be compromise and the idea that "old lame asses" should stay home and listen to their stereos, instead of continuing to support a band that we supported for over 40 years is absurd.
29th September 2006 04:54 PM
throbby

you know who you are

please stop

Very funny, ask luxury about her experience at Giants the other night.
29th September 2006 05:30 PM
polytoxic
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

Old lame asses? Please. There is no rule book saying that rowdy, drunk, and inconsiderate is the model for concert behavior. There has to be compromise and the idea that "old lame asses" should stay home and listen to their stereos, instead of continuing to support a band that we supported for over 40 years is absurd.

Did you read Saint Sway's rules? (well, actually they're more like guidelines).
It's not about being a drunk asshole. That's no fun anywhere. But real rock'n'roll is raw, raunchy, cathartic, rebellious etc. The magic of rock shows lies not only in the performance but in the interaction of band and audience, the wave of energy that goes back and forth. Dancing, cheering, having FUN.
That's support. That's energy you can FEEL. I don't even understand how someone how claims to be a big fan of the Stones could just sit and stare. How they couldn't be compelled, for those brief 100-110 minutes the ROLLING FUCKING STONES are on stage to not break free of the shackles of everyday life and get their ROCKS OFF.
Again. Not be a drunken idiot. Not be an incondsiderate goofball. I just wish more people would get down at the shows.
I haven't seen you at a show, purrcafe. Maybe you groove in a more subtle fashion. And that's all good. But when guys like Sway and MB talk about some of the lame fans, I know exactly what they mean. There is no greater frustration than seeing your favorite band live and being surrounded by corpses off in their world. It's worse than Wide Open seats, worse than a blown Keith note. It's the real "humilation", as they like to say on this board.
To sum it up: Look alive folks, the Stones are on stage.
[Edited by polytoxic]
29th September 2006 05:57 PM
purrcafe
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Again. Not be a drunken idiot. Not be an incondsiderate goofball. I just wish more people would get down at the shows.
[Edited by polytoxic]

Right, and again, this is discussion, not an argument, but what I don't get is how anyone thinks that it's cool to impose THEIR way of having fun on other people. Like I said a number of times, dance, pump your fist, have a great time, but don't be oblivious to the 69,999 people around you. As far as being a fan and getting into it my own way, I'd say that traveling from New York to Amsterdam for the express purpose of seeing the Stones there would put me a category that you can't argue with.
29th September 2006 06:01 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

If I'd have wanted a seat with an obstructed view, I would have bought one.

If you're at a Stones show and you expect to sit, well then you DID buy an obstructed view. You see, these people should be banned from cool concerts!!!!
Indeed, it is now prety clear that purrcafe IS a lameass!!!

[Edited by lotsajizz]
29th September 2006 06:03 PM
polytoxic That's dedication. No doubt about it.

And my beef is not with people having fun in their own way, but people who are quite obviously having no fun at all. Just there for the spectacle of it, or because they think it's cool to say they were there, but actually don't feel the band's music. And there a lot of those types at Stones stadium shows. I just don't get it.
29th September 2006 06:06 PM
polytoxic
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

If you're at a Stones show and you expect to sit, well then you DID buy an obstructed view. You see, these people should be banned from cool concerts!!!!

[Edited by lotsajizz]

Clearly what's required is a license to Rock. Ya gotta pass the written, take the road test. Renew every five years.
29th September 2006 06:55 PM
TomL What a day and night. First hats off to CIP and LS, best tail gate ever. Spent the night in Philly the night before and had some drinks with Blinded, Randy, Mike and CC. Where we end up Head banger Square? Thanks for coming out it was fun, but as always the time goes so quickly. Got my Pats though and also150 pretzels the morning of the show. We had drinks at the birth place of Larry Fine. Joey you would of loved it. Got to the stadium about 12:30 and met Moose and Jesus and the gang. It was nice to watch all the people flow in. Doug, Keith, and Mattman I was happy to see you it has been awhile, thanks for the goodies. Got to see Tazz, moon goddess, mike, Vic, Hess, CC (thanks for the cool stuff man), JimmyB, Lisa, Lynn, DaStones(It was great sitting with you), Factory Girl(I hope I did not get your Mom drunk), Blinded and Randy you made it( I had another Pats on the way home from NJ). Long day in the parking lot but I loved every minute of it. I missed ya GJ.

It was great to not know the opener for once, a feel of surprise. LWM and MM were great to hear again also. FAE was the first time for me, I had chills. Sway gets better and better. SOL, I have to admit I used it as a pee break. JMI was so great to hear again. YGTS, it was just weird to see Keith without a guitar, just weird. But it was awesome. T&A loved it. UMT what a fresh breath to replace MY, I hope it stays. I thought it was a good show and look forward to Chicago and AC and hopefully the Beacon.

Glad I stashed about 8 pretzels for after the show. What a great night and it was great to see everyone. I wish everyone well and hope to see you soon.

VOOOOOOOOOOOOO, when ya coming brother???????????

[Edited by TomL]
29th September 2006 07:13 PM
glencar
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

Right, and again, this is discussion, not an argument, but what I don't get is how anyone thinks that it's cool to impose THEIR way of having fun on other people. Like I said a number of times, dance, pump your fist, have a great time, but don't be oblivious to the 69,999 people around you. As far as being a fan and getting into it my own way, I'd say that traveling from New York to Amsterdam for the express purpose of seeing the Stones there would put me a category that you can't argue with.

I don't have a problem what you've written. In Dublin I hate some Euroasshole start pounding on my back(like I was a fooking drumkit!) as Paint It Black started. He couldn't understand why I did not want some Euroasshole pounding on my fucking back. We'd all been standing for about 7 hours straight & that's not what you want at that point.
29th September 2006 08:20 PM
purrcafe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Indeed, it is now prety clear that purrcafe IS a lameass!!!

[Edited by lotsajizz]

Uh, and it is quite clear that YOU are an asshole. I bought a fucking seat. What are they for? To sit in, last time I checked. Again, too bad that some feel that their agenda should dictate or impact how everyone around them enjoys (or doesn't enjoy)their evening. I'm so glad that I'm not of your generation. There isn't much there to be proud of. I will tell you one thing though. I was a lame ass at the smallest show of the Steel Wheels tour, I was a lame ass in the second row in Philly for No Security, I was a lame ass at Roseland, I was a lame ass at the Amsterdam Arena, and I was a lame ass shaking Keith's hand. Enough of you. Bring back the dopey 25 year "hot chick shaking her ass." Her arguments were even more brainless than yours. But not by much.
[Edited by purrcafe]
[Edited by purrcafe]
29th September 2006 08:47 PM
glencar There's no doubt he's an asshole. Most of us ignore him.
29th September 2006 11:28 PM
TheRoo Hello, Ive been reading this board for a couple of years now and this discussion has inspired me to finally become a registered poster. I cannot fathom the amount of people sitting down at the show the other night. I was in sec 326 and save for a couple of young girls, absolutely no one was up in the section. Most people just sat, perfectly still as if they were watching a movie. Finally by the time the b-stage set started I couldnt take it anymore, stood up and started dancing with my buddy. Not caring whose view I was blocking. This was my 7th Stones show. At MSG in Januray I was yelled at for standing, and at Giants in September I was asked to sitdown as well.I remember being in the 2nd row at MSG in Jan '98 and there were a few people sitting down. Im a 34 year old guy who has been to about 70-75 rock concerts in my life ranging from Aerosmith to Peppers to Petty to GnR to Fiona Apple. Only at Rolling Stones shows am I told to "sit down". Its rather pathetic. Wether youre 15 or 65, youre at a rock n roll show, not an insurance seminar. If my ass is in your face, you shouldve stayed home, put on your stereo and watch CSI. The Stones were tremendous Wed. nite. Unfortunately the crowd really put a damper on my experience. Thanks for reading my rant.
29th September 2006 11:39 PM
purrcafe
quote:
TheRoo wrote:
Finally by the time the b-stage set started I couldnt take it anymore, stood up and started dancing with my buddy. Not caring whose view I was blocking. This was my 7th Stones show. At MSG in Januray I was yelled at for standing, and at Giants in September I was asked to sitdown as well.I remember being in the 2nd row at MSG in Jan '98 and there were a few people sitting down. Im a 34 year old guy who has been to about 70-75 rock concerts in my life ranging from Aerosmith to Peppers to Petty to GnR to Fiona Apple. Only at Rolling Stones shows am I told to "sit down". Its rather pathetic. Wether youre 15 or 65, youre at a rock n roll show, not an insurance seminar. If my ass is in your face, you shouldve stayed home, put on your stereo and watch CSI. The Stones were tremendous Wed. nite. Unfortunately the crowd really put a damper on my experience. Thanks for reading my rant.

Again, back to my point. You were asked to sit down. You were getting in the way of other people's experience. Why in God's name do you think that your attendance gives you the right to impose yourself on other people. You have no right to declare that I (or anyone) should have stayed home. You should have gotten up and situated yourself in a place where you weren't being an irritation to those around you and danced to your heart's content. I hate to bring age into it, because age is irrelevant to having fun, but the fact that you readily admit that you didn't care whose view you were blocking is pretty damn childish.
29th September 2006 11:42 PM
Poplar
quote:
TheRoo wrote:
Hello, Ive been reading this board for a couple of years now and this discussion has inspired me to finally become a registered poster. I cannot fathom the amount of people sitting down at the show the other night. I was in sec 326 and save for a couple of young girls, absolutely no one was up in the section. Most people just sat, perfectly still as if they were watching a movie. Finally by the time the b-stage set started I couldnt take it anymore, stood up and started dancing with my buddy. Not caring whose view I was blocking. This was my 7th Stones show. At MSG in Januray I was yelled at for standing, and at Giants in September I was asked to sitdown as well.I remember being in the 2nd row at MSG in Jan '98 and there were a few people sitting down. Im a 34 year old guy who has been to about 70-75 rock concerts in my life ranging from Aerosmith to Peppers to Petty to GnR to Fiona Apple. Only at Rolling Stones shows am I told to "sit down". Its rather pathetic. Wether youre 15 or 65, youre at a rock n roll show, not an insurance seminar. If my ass is in your face, you shouldve stayed home, put on your stereo and watch CSI. The Stones were tremendous Wed. nite. Unfortunately the crowd really put a damper on my experience. Thanks for reading my rant.

I've had that experience at too many Stones shows.
That's why i usually pay for better seats, people are at least on their feet. I've never been in a fight in my life, but when somebody tells me to SIT DOWN at a Stones show, I feel like throwing a punch.
30th September 2006 12:02 AM
TheRoo
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

Again, back to my point. You were asked to sit down. You were getting in the way of other people's experience. Why in God's name do you think that your attendance gives you the right to impose yourself on other people. You have no right to declare that I (or anyone) should have stayed home. You should have gotten up and situated yourself in a place where you weren't being an irritation to those around you and danced to your heart's content. I hate to bring age into it, because age is irrelevant to having fun, but the fact that you readily admit that you didn't care whose view you were blocking is pretty damn childish.

But why should I have situated myself elsewhere in your opinion? I paid for my seat as well. I did not bump, hassle, scream in an ear, or spill anything. Why should I inconvenience myself by looking for another spot. If I am at a concert which Im not particularly enjoying, or maybe even during a song or two Im not feeling, and I am seated for a rest I would never dare to request rhe row in front of me to sit down! Thats ridiculous! Why is it your opinion that I should automatically seek a different position, and not the people behind me? We both paid for our ticket.
[Edited by TheRoo]
30th September 2006 07:36 AM
danielharris627 Woww!! Great setlist, my friend from the states went, sounded amazing.
I need to see them again.
I had a dream today that I saw charlie in town and he stayed over my house for a few days :S i had photos with him and his autograph, i asked him if there will be another Bigger Bang UK tour and he goes yeah, dates will be announced soon.
30th September 2006 07:40 AM
danielharris627
quote:
TheRoo wrote:
Hello, Ive been reading this board for a couple of years now and this discussion has inspired me to finally become a registered poster. I cannot fathom the amount of people sitting down at the show the other night. I was in sec 326 and save for a couple of young girls, absolutely no one was up in the section. Most people just sat, perfectly still as if they were watching a movie. Finally by the time the b-stage set started I couldnt take it anymore, stood up and started dancing with my buddy. Not caring whose view I was blocking. This was my 7th Stones show. At MSG in Januray I was yelled at for standing, and at Giants in September I was asked to sitdown as well.I remember being in the 2nd row at MSG in Jan '98 and there were a few people sitting down. Im a 34 year old guy who has been to about 70-75 rock concerts in my life ranging from Aerosmith to Peppers to Petty to GnR to Fiona Apple. Only at Rolling Stones shows am I told to "sit down". Its rather pathetic. Wether youre 15 or 65, youre at a rock n roll show, not an insurance seminar. If my ass is in your face, you shouldve stayed home, put on your stereo and watch CSI. The Stones were tremendous Wed. nite. Unfortunately the crowd really put a damper on my experience. Thanks for reading my rant.

Well said!! You did the right thing!!
30th September 2006 09:54 AM
MB81 Against my better judgement I can't resist one more word with you purrcafe.
The Stones are the band that sang Cocksucker Blues. Stupid Girl. Star Fucker. The band that has embodied the perfection of rock n roll decadence, in deed and word. You said you don't like people standing and dancing at their concerts and don't like people using the words "hate" and "suck". The lyrics are pretty obtuse, but I think some of Mick and Keith's songs are about Hating and Sucking. Its just weak to go to a Stones concert and sit down. Just plain lame and sad. Sorry.
More than anything, I was hurt that nobody applauded the band intro at Giants Stadium, and left before the encore. The reason bands play encores is that the crowd tells them to. The first time I saw the Stones I was a junior in high school and the Chicago crowd tore the place apart- they did two full encores with deep cuts. The other night we got one song and fireworks. How much you want to bet they had more? The crowd didn't sustain the simple act of clapping through the break between the set and the encore. LAME.
You may have been a fan for longer, but I was at home listening to my parents' albums while everyone I knew called ME a lameass and extolled the virtues of Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I took my first breath the year Tattoo You came out. Old lameasses love to call young people ageist. I'm not ageist. I just haven't had all the life sucked out of me yet.
30th September 2006 10:05 AM
lotsajizz people who shout at others to sit down at a Stones show should be removed from the arena and given a complementary Barry Manilow ticket

30th September 2006 12:21 PM
purrcafe
quote:
MB81 wrote:
Against my better judgement I can't resist one more word with you purrcafe.

You keep referencing songs as if they have some relevance to your argument, but they don't. Starfucker, Cocksucker Blues, Little T & A, Short and Curlies, etc., etc. None of them have anything to do with either your argument or mine. You mention the single encore. I have news for you. The Stones show has been a finely tuned, well planned machine for years and years. You got two encores in Chicago because that's what they were doing on that tour. This past week, you got one song, and that was all you were gonna get, whether everyone sat on their hands or cheered loud enough to be heard all the way to Keith's house in Connecticut. I really don't like to bring age into it because it shouldn't have any relevance when it comes to simple consideration and respect for other people, but you keep bringing it back around. It has nothing whatsoever to do with being an "old lameass" as you so eloquently put it. I never, ever was so unaware of other people that I thought it was perfectly cool to force my good time past my boundaries and onto other people, whether they wanted to be a part of it or not. I absolutely guarantee you that by the time you are my age you'll be a sloppy suburban housewife, focused on getting your brats into the right pre-school, which is something that I have rejected, in part because the rock and roll lifestyle IS my lifestyle and I love it too much to give it up. The life is far from sucked out of me, but my tolerance for people who act as if no one else in the world but them exists was gone a long, long time ago.
30th September 2006 12:35 PM
purrcafe
quote:
TheRoo wrote:

But why should I have situated myself elsewhere in your opinion? I paid for my seat as well. [Edited by TheRoo]

Simple. If you were up on your feet for an extended period of time (and that is what I'm talking about. I couldn't care less if some jumps up when they hear the first notes of a favorite, or dances to a song that they particularly love. It is people who are on their feet, flailing around from start to finish that irritate me), YOUR actions were directly impacting other people. If you want to be up on your feet, moving around, then what difference does it make if you are standing in the row, in the isle, or somewhere else close by where your good time isn't at the expense of other people who just don't feel like having to peer over you? Seriously, it isn't a question of proximity to the stage in a venue the size of Giants Stadium. Yeah, you paid for your seat, and I'm not arguing your right to jump out of it, I'm making a case for simple consideration, which believe it or not, has a place, even at Stones show. I'm kind of amazed that there is even a disagreement here, since I can't see how the position of, "I gonna stand in front of you all night, so tough shit if you don't like it" is even defensible. Like I said, stand, dance, play air guitar, I don't care. Just don't forget that the band isn't playing in your living room for you alone.
[Edited by purrcafe]
30th September 2006 12:39 PM
purrcafe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
people who shout at others to sit down at a Stones show should be removed from the arena and given a complementary Barry Manilow ticket

And people who can't or won't behave as if they are the only people who matter sometimes learn a lot when someone gets sick of putting up with them and gives them a good ass kicking! (Which is of course, not to be construed as a threat on my part. But, it doesn't mean that I don't hope that somewhere along the way, someone else doesn't shut you up).
30th September 2006 01:43 PM
lotsajizz you reveal your intolerance in your choice of words--"matters"....what REALLY matters at a rock concert is dancing, not sitting down....people do not pay for seats...they pay for a slot to dance and rock...you don't want to do either, limp off the third deck or leave...you are too old to rock pretty clearly
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)