ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Troy Fleece / Leader Post with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Halifax Commons, Halifax NS Sept 23, 2006 Setlist, pictures, and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
25th September 2006 06:45 PM
Gazza Bloody hell, you put the effort in there OK! many thanks for sharing
25th September 2006 07:05 PM
PartyDoll MEG Mick_Jagger- Wow! Very Impressive work there!
25th September 2006 07:23 PM
Lazy Bones Noticed the Alexander Keiths pin on one guys hat. Didn't someone say Canadians really love their beer...?

Thanks for sharing!
25th September 2006 08:36 PM
charlotte Thank you!!MICK_JAGGER
25th September 2006 11:25 PM
lonecrapshooter This was a fine truncated show. Very proud to be there. You may find a bad crowd in your section in NY Chicago Houston, you know people who won't stand up and get into the show, etc. but in Halifax the whole town was up for this show. I still recall with disdain security in Houston in 1998 not letting anybody stand up and I recall the slime in the upper reaches of Giants Stadium in 1997 tossing popcorn at us for standing up and still looking for the pricks that kicked the side miror of my friend's car when no one was around. Truly disgusting people. They're right here in your backyard and frankly seeing them in Halifax is better than seeing them in the states. The atmosphere outweighs any setlist concerns. These people were grateful to be able to see the Stones just once. Unlike your so-called pals at the water coolers here, they will be able to tell their grandkids that yes, in fact, they got off their asses and saw the Stones once - in a driving rain. And they won't be carping about the set lists like so many here. I've seen them over 50 times worldwide and have seen my share of rarities. But at this show, I relished hearing MJ belt out "you got to roll me yeah thats whay you need to do and tell me sugar whats my name, you you you make a grown man cry, you make a dmc" for the very first time to 50k in Halifax. At times they were sloppy, at times sublime, but all the while scintillating.

Monkey Man, Bitch, Rough Justice, Miss You, Start Me Up and Sympathy were highlights. These all sounded the best to my ears. Tumbling Dice was also very smooth this time. PIB, LSTNT and LTAA were rough and sloppy. Keith's set is disappointing honestly, but I look at these guys like I do my favorite athletes/teams that age and decline. Bernie Williams comes to mind. That I am still able to say I saw this band with 50k others in 2006 is amazing and worth savoring every moment. My bonus for going was a brief chat and walk through the hotel mezzanine with Charlie. I commented that I enjoyed seeing his tentet in NY and he said after a pause: "so you went THERE from HERE? somewhat incredulously and I said no I came HERE from NY and he said "ahhhh".

Plenty of friendly folk in Halifax and terrific hospitality at the Lord Nelson. And one final thought: let's not forget what a thrill it is to see Bobby do a killer sax on Brown Sugar. And to know he was there all those years....

Thank you Halifax - you're so respectablllllle. Out.
26th September 2006 06:30 AM
throbby lonecrapshooter wrote:
Keith's set is disappointing honestly, but I look at these guys like I do my favorite athletes/teams that age and decline. Bernie Williams comes to mind. That I am still able to say I saw this band with 50k others in 2006 is amazing and worth savoring every moment.

Well said!

And one final thought: let's not forget what a thrill it is to see Bobby do a killer sax on Brown Sugar. And to know he was there all those years....

His solo on Live With Me at Gillette gave me goosebumps. Rock on Mr. Keyes!
26th September 2006 10:04 AM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
lonecrapshooter wrote:
Keith's set is disappointing honestly, but I look at these guys like I do my favorite athletes/teams that age and decline. Bernie Williams comes to mind. That I am still able to say I saw this band with 50k others in 2006 is amazing and worth savoring every moment.

Well said!

And one final thought: let's not forget what a thrill it is to see Bobby do a killer sax on Brown Sugar. And to know he was there all those years....

His solo on Live With Me at Gillette gave me goosebumps. Rock on Mr. Keyes!

It is painfully clear Keith's set has become a huge embarrassment evemn to the most loyal Keithaholic...he has disgraced the stage by his truly horrific set. How dare he ever criticise Mick or ZRonnie, when he is the one totally washed up...
26th September 2006 11:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

It is painfully clear Keith's set has become a huge embarrassment evemn to the most loyal Keithaholic...he has disgraced the stage by his truly horrific set.

Not at the shows I attended, he didnt. Then again, some people have their minds made up before they buy their ticket.
26th September 2006 11:32 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Not at the shows I attended, he didnt. Then again, some people have their minds made up before they buy their ticket.

Today my friend, we are all Halogonians!!!!
26th September 2006 01:45 PM
Poplar
quote:
jb wrote:
a huge embarrassment ...he has disgraced the stage by his truly horrific set. ... totally washed up...

Let's be honest ... jb bit way too hard on the "tour is a bust" bait a few weeks back, and now he's trying to prop up his reputation amid growing evidence that this tour is really not all that different than any other in recent memory. that leaves him accentuating anything he can identify as a shortcoming, as the rest of us soak up what's left of the Stones before they leave us. Keith a little sloppy? NO WAY!!! i think most of us understand that it is what it is, and i for one am kind of tired of reading all the overreaching hyperbole from a guy who is clearly distressed that the tour is not, in fact, a bust as he predicted.
26th September 2006 01:57 PM
jb
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Let's be honest ... jb bit way too hard on the "tour is a bust" bait a few weeks back, and now he's trying to prop up his reputation amid growing evidence that this tour is really not all that different than any other in recent memory. that leaves him accentuating anything he can identify as a shortcoming, as the rest of us soak up what's left of the Stones before they leave us. Keith a little sloppy? NO WAY!!! i think most of us understand that it is what it is, and i for one am kind of tired of reading all the overreaching hyperbole from a guy who is clearly distressed that the tour is not, in fact, a bust as he predicted.

Boston was a firesale...Halifax sold O.K., but not as expected, Giants doing average with some discounts...and most other venues still very much open...While the tour may not be a financial bust, it is far from what we have come to expect. Also, while I am dissappointed, it will not stop me fro spending more on one(1) ticket than most here will on the entire tour. Lastly, I was not the one to report the horror of Keith's set. Many others here have opined that is was the low-light of the show.

[Edited by jb]
26th September 2006 02:14 PM
Poplar
quote:
jb wrote:
Boston was a firesale...Halifax sold O.K., but not as expected, Giants doing average with some discounts...and most other venues still very much open...While the tour may not be a financial bust, it is far from what we have come to expect. Also, while I am dissappointed, it will not stop me fro spending more on one(1) ticket than most here will on the entire tour. Lastly, I was not the one to report the horror of Keith's set. Many others here have opined that is was the low-light of the show.
[Edited by jb]

i hear ya man, but i see it this way:
Boston: firsale not really surprising considering all the factors.
Halifax: solid turnout of young fans in the rain. good to see.
Rest of the tour: selling just fine despite NO publicity. If Boston was 90% the rest of the shows will be quite ok.
Keith's set: when was the last time it was a highlight? ages ago... and tons of people would say it's been a lowlight since Voodoo... so no big deal there.

Sorry, but none of these factors really surprise me, they simply reflect reality at this stage in the game. I just find it odd that some here seem eager to get so alarmist and critical when everything we're seeing could ahve been predicted back in the lat 80's.

i think it's a binary deal: either you want 'em to hang it up, or you can deal with the shortcomings. hard to have it both ways at this point.
26th September 2006 02:32 PM
glencar Joshy, you are getting your hat handed to you numerous times today. What gives?
26th September 2006 02:36 PM
Poplar
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, you are getting your hat handed to you numerous times today. What gives?

jb wears hats? I was trying to hand him his ass.
26th September 2006 02:56 PM
jb I still say ello to you in AC Glencar....I'll try hard not to lose my hat.
26th September 2006 03:08 PM
charlotte spot on...Poplar
26th September 2006 03:10 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
I still say ello to you in AC Glencar....I'll try hard not to lose my hat.

Joshy, what happens in AC...stays in AC!
26th September 2006 03:14 PM
jb
quote:
charlotte wrote:
spot on...Poplar

Right on Poplar...!!!!
26th September 2006 04:03 PM
Poplar
quote:
charlotte wrote:
spot on...Poplar

quote:
jb wrote:
Right on Poplar...!!!!

It's good to be here....
26th September 2006 04:09 PM
Poplar
quote:
Poplar wrote:
It's good to be here....

in fact, it's good to be anywhere.
27th September 2006 04:58 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Poplar wrote:

i think it's a binary deal: either you want 'em to hang it up, or you can deal with the shortcomings. hard to have it both ways at this point.

In fact I agree with this. And it's only natural. Name one thing in the world that is not affected by time.

I still thoroughly enjoy a Stones show. It never bores me, it never leaves me saying "well, that was bad". I still get the high.

But it's a matter of expectations: I don't attend a gig expecting to listen to the Brussels bootleg. I go there open-minded, to enjoy the band I love. And they still got the chops. Some nights are better than others, that's all.

And one way or another, Keith's set has always been THE highlight of the show for me. Even when his singing sucks or he forgets the lyrics I love the soul in it, and jb, I still feel it's genuine and real, despite the Keith Richards the Outlaw image.

We're unbelievably lucky they're still around, more than 40 years later. And not only that, they ARE really, really good at it. Shortcomings and mistakes included. It's a live gig by living people, they're not tape recorders.
27th September 2006 07:28 AM
glencar
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

In fact I agree with this. And it's only natural. Name one thing in the world that is not affected by time.

I still thoroughly enjoy a Stones show. It never bores me, it never leaves me saying "well, that was bad". I still get the high.

But it's a matter of expectations: I don't attend a gig expecting to listen to the Brussels bootleg. I go there open-minded, to enjoy the band I love. And they still got the chops. Some nights are better than others, that's all.

And one way or another, Keith's set has always been THE highlight of the show for me. Even when his singing sucks or he forgets the lyrics I love the soul in it, and jb, I still feel it's genuine and real, despite the Keith Richards the Outlaw image.

We're unbelievably lucky they're still around, more than 40 years later. And not only that, they ARE really, really good at it. Shortcomings and mistakes included. It's a live gig by living people, they're not tape recorders.

EXCELLENT POST!!!!!
27th September 2006 08:25 AM
Poplar
Well put, Fonti. I've felt the exact same way for many years now.
In spite of it all, they still really deliver on some nights... (See: Charlotte '05).
27th September 2006 08:35 AM
charlotte best in show...
27th September 2006 08:38 AM
Poplar
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060925.STONES25/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Music/
27th September 2006 05:28 PM
glencar Some trenchant observations...
28th September 2006 02:57 PM
Black Leather Bitch My Stones Experience…NOT

I guess I’d have to say my most memorable part of my visit to the Bigger Bang Tour in Halifax was the trip up to the City and the trip back home.

Unfortunately after purchasing tickets, the long drive up and standing in the rain I did not get to see the Stones even play. I (and my husband) spent my (our) time waiting for the concert to end in a restaurant (Kings Palace, great food and service, thanks!) on Quinpool Road because the others in our party were in the concert grounds with no way for us to contact them to obtain the vehicle keys so we at least had somewhere to go while we waited for them.

This happened because of a security guard that would not honor my request for 'special needs' seating (as guaranteed by ticketatlantic.com). As specified on the site I purchased General Admission tickets and I brought with me the required documentation from my doctor along with documentation from the WCB proofing the I am permanently disabled based on my occupational illness.

When we arrived to the admission gate at the corners of Quinpool and Robie Streets I identified my need to the girl that served me. She politely directed me to the gate for the VIP East admission. We then trekked to this gate and again I identified my seating request and was told to speak with a security guard.

The security guard was unwilling to even view any of my documentation and told me that "anyone can get a doctor's letter". I attempted to explain to him that the doctor's letter was dated February of 2000 and therefore was not/could not have been contrived for the purpose of obtaining seating at this venue. I also attempted to explain to him that I suffer from Raynaud's Phenomenon and cannot stand for extended periods of time because my legs go 'dead', therefore I do not physically appear to have a disability (except deformities in one hand and my feet). He didn't care and couldn‘t be bothered.

I am 41 years old and looked very much forward to this event for months, especially as it would have been the biggest event I have ever been to in my life or probably ever have a chance in getting to. I would have to say that this was one of the biggest disappointments and most miserable experiences in my life.

I can say that I did manage to hear the closing number "Satisfaction" while sitting under an over hang of the Holiday Inn on Quinpool while waiting for the rest of our party to leave the grounds.

I realize this is not the fault of the Rolling Stones nor their promoters but the lack of professionalism and training of this particular security guard. Perhaps for future venues ticketatlantic.com should prepare tickets in advance that are specifically for those of special needs rather than leave the decision of admission to security guards who can’t be bothered, so this does not happen to others whom like me, are disabled but not noticeably physically.

As for the Stones, rock on guys, wish I had seen you!

T/C
BLB

Peace
30th September 2006 01:56 AM
mickmask Did you post this at RollingStones.com?
Probably just as well you weren't sitting in the cold that long anyway...as that would aggravate your raynauds too.

Sorry u missed the show...maybe someone will see this?

mm.
[Edited by mickmask]
1st October 2006 11:07 AM
Black Leather Bitch
quote:
mickmask wrote:
Did you post this at RollingStones.com?
Probably just as well you weren't sitting in the cold that long anyway...as that would aggravate your raynauds too.

Sorry u missed the show...maybe someone will see this?

mm.
[Edited by mickmask]

No I didn't...but I did email my story to IORR...they responded by thanking me for my comments...and I also emailed ticketatlantic.com but they have never responded contrary to the message stating that I would receive a response within two business days...that was 5 business days ago...

And yeah you are right about the cold and damp, it doesn't help me at all but it was a sacrifice I was making just to get to see them...

Thanks for your reply!

T/C
BLB

Peace
[Edited by Black Leather Bitch]
[Edited by Black Leather Bitch]
1st October 2006 11:37 AM
Bitch Black Leather Bitch your story is troubling and if I were you I would make some requests, either for a refund or tickets to another show! You should live up to your name, a true Bitch is not a victim, we stand up for our rights!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)