ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Troy Fleece / Leader Post with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Halifax Commons, Halifax NS Sept 23, 2006 Setlist, pictures, and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
23rd September 2006 11:24 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
T&A wrote:
anyone mind if I whine awhile?

Go ahead...you do it so well
23rd September 2006 11:53 PM
RollingstonesUSA The show was amazing! Alice and The Stones all in one night! The guy wouldn't let me bring my fuckin' camera in, so I had to toss it in the fuckin' trash, it was wal-mart cheap one, but I was still pist, but I will give a review later, As I am somewhat drunk, I am headin to the bar in the hotel....
24th September 2006 12:26 AM
T&A
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Go ahead...you do it so well

okay - then I'll say here too that this "virgin" crowd "lost it en masse" tonight because they were totally screwed by this lame setlist....
24th September 2006 04:07 AM
qwer Oh man!
One or two more shows ...
... and we're back with the old setlist!

This looks more like the old setlist with the usual 2-3 songs changed! Hope we will get more like Boston!
24th September 2006 04:08 AM
Jeep A small video with few seconds of Monkey Man at the end (CTV channel), click the pix :

[Edited by Jeep]
24th September 2006 04:15 AM
Jeep Rolling Stones give Halifax some 'Satisfaction'
Updated Sat. Sep. 23 2006 10:39 PM ET
Canadian Press

HALIFAX -- Upwards of 50,000 fans soaked up loud music and a lot of rain Saturday as the Rolling Stones headlined the largest rock concert ever held in Halifax.

The Commons, a large park in the heart of this city, was packed with people wearing ponchos, sou'westers and garbage bags to hear Sloan, Alice Cooper, rapper Kanye West and finally the Stones.

The rain stopped briefly before Mick Jagger and the rest of the British rockers took the stage to an eruption of fireworks from the top of the 8½-storey stage that resembled the front grill of a massive car.

But it began to pour again a few songs into the 19-song, two-hour-set, dousing both fans and the band.

"How are you doing out there?" Jagger asked at one point. "You're fantastic to be out there in this."

It was sprinkling lightly as thousands snaked through security and onto the large inner-city park, and it continued to fall as Sloan took the stage.

But it really opened up for Cooper's early-evening performance, soaking the band and a live python that joined the aging shock rocker for one of his songs.

Rick and Darlene Fredette of nearby Dartmouth paid $500 each to watch the concert from a perch inside one of the stage's massive wings.

It was the couple's third Stones concert. They saw the band in Moncton, N.B., last year and in Boston in 1994, and didn't seem to mind the wet weather.

"It would be nice to show Halifax a little better than pouring rain, but there's still a lot of smiles out here," said Rick Fredette. "How can you not want to soak it up, literally?"

There were concerns before the show that thousands of fans, a massive steel stage, and dozens of tractor-trailers would chew up the park's sports fields.

Those worries became reality before long when the driving rain turned areas in muddy bogs.

Fredette said it was worth it.

"Halifax needs this," he said. "Obviously the Commons will suffer some, but it's grass. They can tune it up for next year."

It took more than 100 roadies about a week to set up 78 tractor-trailer loads of equipment.

Thousands of people live in the mixed residential neighbourhood surrounding the Commons, including scores who watched from the balconies of high-rise apartments overlooking the park.

Pope John Paul II held a papal mass on the Commons in 1984, but it has never been the site of a major rock show.

"It makes us proud to be part of the biggest concert ever in Halifax," Jagger bellowed early in the show.

Promoters have hinted more could follow if this one is a success, but with the turnout well below the 80,000 that took in a Stones' concert in Moncton last September, it remains to be seen if that will happen.

Organizers have also expressed surprise at the amount of opposition to the event, the bulk of it from those who live near the inner-city site.

Others felt it was inappropriate for a money-making venture to be held in a public space, and that the Nova Scotia and municipal governments contributed $240,000 for extra security and post-concert cleanup.

Joe Doucette, a 54-year-old Stones fan from Dartmouth, had little patience for the critics.

"I grew up in this area, five minutes from here _ just get a life," he said as he took cover beneath a grandstand between performances.

The massive outdoor concert was also a satisfying homecoming for Sloan.

It marked the third time the Halifax band has opened for the Stones. The crowd was easily the biggest they've faced in their hometown.

Drummer Andrew Scott called it "three feathers" in the band's cap to share the stage with the legendary rockers.

"It doesn't get any more rock 'n' roll than to open for the Rolling Stones," he said after the band's half-hour set.

24th September 2006 05:53 AM
Jumping Jack Coop setlist please.
24th September 2006 06:12 AM
Jeep From the Chronicle Herald :

Common satisfaction
By JENNIFER STEWART Staff Reporter

http://www.herald.ns.ca/Front/530167.html

In a shower of raindrops and red fireworks, the Rolling Stones took to the Commons stage for their Halifax debut Saturday night.

"Good evening Halifax!" Mick Jagger yelled to the crowd of close to 50,000 screaming fans.

Dressed in an ankle-length metallic trench coat and matching brimmed hat, Mick gyrated his bony hips — much to the pleasure of the females in the crowd — as he belted out Paint It Black.

"It’s happy time now, baby!" one man screamed, pumping his fists in the air. "We’re at a Rolling Stones concert!"

He repeated the phrase again and again during the Stones two-hour set, overwhelmed by how close he was to his rock idols.

"I can’t believe we’re here! That’s the Rolling Stones!" he shouted, a goofy grin on his face as he pointed at the flashing eight-storey stage.

The man’s mood was contagious, sweeping through the slicker-swathed crowd that braved the cool, wet weather to see Mick and the boys, along with opening acts Sloan, Alice Cooper and Kanye West.

Several people managed to sneak in umbrellas, while most huddled together under tarps or the dripping hoods of their raincoats — or even green garbage bags.

Although the Stones were clearly the crowd favourite, rapper Kanye West had many fans throwing their diamonds in the sky during his 45-minutes set.

As he opened with Diamonds Are Forever, the younger fans swayed to the thumping beat, their fingers pressed together to form the shape of diamonds.

"It’s just like Woodstock," one man said of the concert atmosphere and wide range of music.

And in many ways it was. Amid the clouds of cigarette smoke and rockin’ tunes, the smell of marijuana hung heavy in the wet air and empty plastic baggies littered the muddy ground.

The streets surrounding the Commons were blanketed with police officers dressed in orange rainsuits, and private security guards roamed the grounds — but many fans still found ways to sneak in restricted items, including drugs, cameras and alcohol.

One young woman admitted she and her friends went so far as to bury several bottles of liquor near the fountain more than a week before the concert and planned to dig them up once they got inside.

But police were ready for anything, it seemed — although they had little to deal with.

"Everything is fine," Staff Sgt. Joe Collins of Halifax Regional Police said at 11 p.m. "The ferries are packed full; mass transit is working wonderful. I just drove through the downtown core, and it’s virtually empty."

He said he figured the weather was to thank for the tame crowds.

"Considering the number of people, the amount of alcohol and other substances, it’s been very, very good," he said.

Paramedics at the concert site were somewhat busier, but they didn’t face anything they weren’t expecting, a spokesman for Emergency Health Services said.

"A lot of headaches, a little bit of nausea, people passing out here and there, but nothing overly serious," operations supervisor Jonathon Pippy said at about 7 p.m.

A few hours later there were reports that an unconscious woman was taken away by ambulance, but her condition was not believed to be serious. Sources said another young woman slipped on the sidewalk outside the site and broke her arm.

Scott Ferguson, executive vice-president of Trade Centre Ltd., said there’s no doubt the concert was a success.

"It went fabulous, actually — it was quite an amazing night," he said at about 10:45 p.m. Saturday. "There was probably close to 50,000 people here, and for the most part they were all dressed for the evening and having a great time."

He said the next step is for the concert organizers to sit down and discuss what they can do to make the next time even better — and there will be a next time, he said confidently.

"We’ve proven that the site is a top concert site and can certainly accommodate many more people," Mr. Ferguson said.

But the sobering question earlier in the day was this: What was the traffic like on peninsular Halifax on a day when metro mirrored a major metropolis and actually had more than one big event on tap?

Pretty smooth, as it turned out.

Talk about a fiesta of fun — the Rolling Stones, a National Hockey League exhibition game, homecoming weekend at Saint Mary’s University, the closing night gala for the Atlantic Film Festival, a Sarah Harmer performance at Dalhousie University, Neptune Theatre’s production of A Few Good Men, four cruise ships scheduled to be in port — events that obviously required a lot of people-moving in and around the city’s central district.

A survey of potential traffic hot spots, done on a bicycle by The Chronicle Herald, showed the peninsula was busy in some areas. But it seemed many concert-goers took note of the advance message about public transit — and used it. Metro Transit buses appeared to be doing a brisk business.

At the Halifax Commons concert site, there was a bit of a traffic buzz — albeit the pedestrian variety — as early as 11:30 a.m., because general-admission ticket holders wanted to be there the moment the gates opened at 1 p.m. to grab a premium spot near the stage. Streets by the concert site were well staffed by Halifax Regional Police.

24th September 2006 06:14 AM
Jeep From the Chronicle Herald :

Wet and wild
Rolling Stones fight Mother Nature to present top-notch rock spectacle

By STEPHEN COOKE Concert Review

http://www.herald.ns.ca/Front/9001694.html

EVEN THOUGH THEY didn’t include it in their set on the Halifax Commons on Saturday night, one Rolling Stones song title kept tumbling through the minds of roughly 50,000 concertgoers: Gimme Shelter.

It was a full day and night of sex, mud and rock and roll as the skies over Halifax opened up and rained steadily on the biggest outdoor concert Nova Scotia’s ever seen, from the moment Halifax native Sloan took the stage around 4 p. m. through the final notes of the Stones’ encore of ( I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.

But even if Mother Nature isn’t much of a Rolling Stones fan, she was vastly outnumbered by the tens of thousands gathered on the commons, clad in everything from heavy duty rain gear to modified garbage bags.

The Stones did their best to heat things up though, hitting the stage to the strains of Ron Woods’ electric sitar on Paint It Black as a couple of blasts of fireworks out of the top of the nearly nine- storey high stage jolted the audience to attention. Clad in a silver duster coat with a matching fedora, singer Mick Jagger immediately started working the crowd into a frenzy while Keith Richards in his black trench coat grinned wickedly while he slashed away at his Les Paul.

One fan held up a sign reading Mick Jagger For Prime Minister, while the famed rock icon got diplomatic with the crowd: “ Good evening Halifax! How are you, Nova Scotia?"

The assembly voted vociferously with their voices.

If Jagger did lead a country, surely the next song would be its national anthem; It’s Only Rock ’ n Roll ( But I Like It). Over 30 years old, the song still creates an unstoppable party atmosphere, especially with Jagger motivating the crowd like an aerobics instructor on speed, and Richard and Wood trading licks with familiar ease.

“ I’d like to say thank you Kanye West!

Thank you Alice Cooper! Thank you Sloan!"

said an appreciative Jagger. “ We’re very glad you could be part of the biggest concert ever in this city … apparently."

Oh No, Not You Again from the recent A Bigger Bang CD proved the band could still create tough, new material, blazing through a rough edged version of the cheeky rocker.

The mid-’ 60s hit Let’s Spend the Night Together was fun, even if it felt a bit rushed, but you’d be burning your way through it too if you were risking pneumonia.

Even a legend like Jagger isn’t immune to the elements, ducking backstage to change his shirt — “ This one’s gotten a bit wet!" — after thanking the fans for their endurance in English and French. Then it was time for a treat for the real diehard fans, the album track Monkey Man off 1969’s Let It Bleed, with a grinding funk groove and biting shards of Richards’ guitar. Sticky Fingers’ Bitch was another lively older tune, with its blaring horn section hook ( led by original Stones’ saxophonist Bobby Keys) giving Jagger plenty of fuel to work his best macho strut, while Exile on Main St.’s Tumbling Dice took the frontman out onto the catwalk, where he looked like an image out of Dante’s Inferno, surrounded by eager faces fading into the darkness.

After introducing the band, which also included “ high and dry" drummer Charlie Watts, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, bassist Darryl Jones and backup singers Lisa Fischer, Blondie Chaplin and Bernard Fowler, Jagger took a break from the action to leave the stage in the capable hands of Richards.

Wearing a skull and crossbones ball cap — which is only natural for the man for whom every day is Talk Like a Pirate Day — the weathered musician crooned You Got the Silver off Let It Bleed, also the first song he ever sang lead vocal on. His leathery voice suited the acoustic country blues perfectly, and it was a definite treat to hear.

Then Richards took a moment to reflect, or possibly to remember which song came next.

“ I’m thinking," he assured the jubilant crowd. “ It’s a terrible thing to do … especially if you’re me." The dramatic pause didn’t last long though, as he, Wood, Watts and Jones delivered a hip shaking performance of Tattoo You’s Little T& A.

Jagger returned for the disco beat of Miss You, at which point the centre of the stage disengaged and moved towards the centre of the field for the famous “ B Stage" portion of the concert, providing an intimate encounter with the Stones for those further back. “ Hello Haligonians," crowed the singer, obviously after a quick local civics lesson before commenting on the continued downpour: “ I didn’t know it was going to be like this!"

The best way to keep warm is to keep moving, so the band tore into Start Me Up, complete with a ragged Richards solo that indicated the cold and damp might be getting to his fingers. Honky Tonk Women followed with guitar playing that also felt a tad choppy, but somehow it fit the loose barroom feel of one of its best known songs as a giant inflatable version of the Stones’ tongue logo unfolded on the main stage behind them.

Back on the main stage, Watts’ tribal drum beat indicated the start of Sympathy for the Devil, a production number that was a show highlight when the A Bigger Bang tour stopped on Moncton’s Magnetic Hill last year, and remains just as entertaining with the stage transformed into a war zone full of red lights, smoke and searing flames as Jagger delivers a lyric that’s just as potent now as it was at the height of the ’ 60s political turmoil.

The song also signaled the start of the concert’s home stretch, as the Stones concluded with the holy trinity of Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar and the song which made the band a household name, ( I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. It was the rock and roll equivalent of Disneyland, only this time Disneyland came to us.

Opening act Kanye West, performing with DJ A- Trak and a string quartet that included Halifax musicians, could probably fill the Metro Centre for at least a couple of nights in a row, and while his progressive hip- hop might not have suited the older Stones fans in the crowd, he delivered a fierce and impassioned set, starting with Diamonds From Sierra Leone, and including a spiritual Walk With Me.

“ I’m so honoured to be able to stand up here and perform for you, and to be a hip- hop artist opening for the Rolling Stones!" Let’s hope he was honoured enough to want to return and perform again in the near future.

Horror rocker Alice Cooper performed an intense mini version of the show he did at the Metro Centre in May, complete with boa constrictor and the whip- wielding Black Widow, while initial opener Sloan couldn’t have asked for a better launch show for its new album Never Hear the End of It, getting hands clapping as the first drops of rain fell.

24th September 2006 06:16 AM
Jeep Chronicle Herald again :

[Edited by Jeep]
24th September 2006 06:27 AM
Jeep The "Stoniest" front page of this Bigger Bang Tour !

24th September 2006 06:52 AM
Funky Crow It Rained. Sloan. Excellent to see home boys take the stage.
It Rained. Alice. Terrific show with a stripped down rockin' setlist.
It Rained. Rapper guy. Cayenne Pepper? Pure shit.
More Rain. Then the Stones.
I have seen the Stones numerous times and have been a fan for many years.
Last night's performance was noble as they battled the weather.
Highlight of the show. Keith leaning into the wind with the light shining on him while it poured and they belted out JJF.
Lowlight of the show the rain and ..... Please don't shoot the messenger but Keith's version of Little T and A was a F***'in train wreck. Missed words, music was all over the place and it showed them at their worst. Keith really using the teleprompter to sing.
My buddy and I figured that Keith was really into the screwdrivers early in the day or that fall from the tree really messed him up. He is looking very frail and is really showing his age.
However, of course we danced and sung at the top of our lungs and tried to make the best of one damp and dirty day.
That's the chances you take with an outdoor show!
24th September 2006 07:42 AM
Stonesdoug Correction---they did not do YCAGWYA last night, even though it's posted on the official site
24th September 2006 07:55 AM
percyflame Ouch! They only played 18 songs? What was the length of the set?
24th September 2006 07:57 AM
Bitch
quote:
Funky Crow wrote:
Last night's performance was noble as they battled the weather.
Highlight of the show. Keith leaning into the wind with the light shining on him while it poured and they belted out JJF.
Lowlight of the show the rain and ..... Please don't shoot the messenger but Keith's version of Little T and A was a F***'in train wreck. Missed words, music was all over the place and it showed them at their worst. Keith really using the teleprompter to sing.
My buddy and I figured that Keith was really into the screwdrivers early in the day or that fall from the tree really messed him up. He is looking very frail and is really showing his age.
However, of course we danced and sung at the top of our lungs and tried to make the best of one damp and dirty day.
That's the chances you take with an outdoor show!

Hopefully Little T&A will remain on the setlist and improve. They should play RAIN FALL DOWN on the rainy days! Playing stadium shows, we complain when the weather sucks, yet The RS are troopers and real pros, they dont act like it's affecting them. I guess they must be used to the uncooperation of the weather at the outdoor venues! Maybe they should skip them and just play arenas. We like those more and theres no weather hassles.
24th September 2006 08:01 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Funky Crow wrote:

I have no intention of shooting the messenger, trust me, but I said it before and I'll say it again and I'll keep saying it till someone gets it: give the guy a BREAK! He's added a song he hasn't played in over 20 years - do we expect a smoking version like he never stopped? It takes time. He'll get around to playing it better or he'll give it up. Either way, it's no big deal.

Did we all wake up today and had a collective realisation that Keith's nearing 63?
24th September 2006 08:14 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
Correction---they did not do YCAGWYA last night, even though it's posted on the official site

Thanks, Doug
The setlist is corrected
24th September 2006 08:23 AM
montana from halifax daily news

24th September 2006 08:24 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
Now someone else is saying that it has been played, so I'm not sure what they did

Guess we must wait until someone wakes up and lets us know!

Can you remember, RollingstonesUSA?

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
24th September 2006 08:34 AM
LadyJane I'm glad I spent the evening away from the PC.

Oh no not this setlist again.

Hopefully Gazza is correct and this is one for the "virgin" city of Halifax.

As far as Keith....my dear Fotini....I have been told that he DOES look very frail and that I need to prepare myself for a marked demise since his accident.

Giants will be very very interesting.

LJ.
24th September 2006 08:37 AM
montana

24th September 2006 08:59 AM
Bitch
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

As far as Keith....my dear Fotini....I have been told that he DOES look very frail and that I need to prepare myself for a marked demise since his accident.

LJ.

No LJ, I have seen Keef both before and after the accident, he looks the same except the hair. He was great in London, just as good as he was before the accident. I was worried too, and I watched him closely, he was in fine form, played and sang wonderfully, with more feeling now because I think it made him realize every day in life is a gift, thats why he did BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN. If there is any change, its for the better.
IMO.
24th September 2006 09:10 AM
FotiniD I'll have to agree with Bitch, LJ. Don't worry about a thing, he looks just as he looked before the accident, and I can confirm that by what I saw in Milan too. Didn't give me the impression of a frail man at all. And that was just three months after the accident! If he was to look frail, he would look his frailest THEN, right after all the rough time he had with the operation and hospital, not half a year later and after he has recuperated. And he sounded god damn good as well.

Don't bite all the "oh, he's brain damaged, poor old Keith" stuff. It's like a new excuse for anyone who wants to bash Keith or bring about a sense of imminent end-of-world Stones-wise. Old stuff. Boring.

You'll see for yourself dear, he's just fine.
24th September 2006 09:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
T&A wrote:
anyone mind if I whine awhile?

why not? Its about time you showed your mug over here again
24th September 2006 09:27 AM
Stonesdoug Set list as originally posted is correct---no YCAGWYW even though it was on the plexiglass---rain throughout the show and heavy winds towards the end--only 18 songs
24th September 2006 09:31 AM
Gazza Thanks, Doug. Was just wondering as the guy who reviewed it on IORR mentioned them playing Brown Sugar and then Satisfaction as the encore.
24th September 2006 09:41 AM
lotsajizz Bulletin from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia;
Those who prefer to cling to illusions will not like my honesty...but the slide continues. We had a good time, despite the rain and decidedly mediocre performance. Canadians are great people and the crowd was a party like you never get in the USA anymore. Not quite Rio, but it was nice to see the old, over-50, sit-down types in the minority! But Keith is just NOT THERE. His two song sequence is just AWFUL!! Jeez, Keith, if you're gonna sing like this, bring back "Slipping Away" and stop butchering our memories of "Little T&A"!! Mick tried hard again...Charlie was perfect, Woodie is ON FIRE!! He is putting his guitar-mate to shame! Wood seems to be trying to compensate. More to follow when I get home, but we must check out soon and drive home. Cod cakes and baked beans for breakfast--I love Nova Scotia!!

...if Foxboro was a "D+" show, this was a "C" show.

Hopefully Chicago will be better....

btw, Alice Cooper has no voice any longer, but a smokin' band...
[Edited by lotsajizz]
24th September 2006 09:58 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl From the Daily News - Halifax

24th September 2006 09:59 AM
glencar
quote:
Jeep wrote:
The "Stoniest" front page of this Bigger Bang Tour !

Now that's a great cover! Sounds like most reviewers are quite pleased with the show. I wonder if Keith's set is improving? I really wish I was going to Giants...
24th September 2006 10:04 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl From the Chronicle Herald

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)