ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

FleetCenter,Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is it REALLY REALLY REALLY worthy? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
09-11-02 12:20 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
jb wrote:
Thank you Rik....I have been called a lot worse...don't let these few evil doers upset you. They are Beatle and U2 fans and they must be smoked out of their caves , just like the Taliban!

...Hey JB! Just because I like the old U2 doesn't mean I have anything against you ya know!
09-11-02 12:56 PM
Scot Rocks
quote:
jb wrote:
Thank you Rik....I have been called a lot worse...don't let these few evil doers upset you. They are Beatle and U2 fans and they must be smoked out of their caves , just like the Taliban!

Shut the Hell Up, jb, stop making sweeping generalised statements against people.

Mark
09-11-02 01:00 PM
jb Please Scott, I am not Doudi .....
09-11-02 01:23 PM
Maxlugar I like Reggae.

Maxy!
09-11-02 05:31 PM
stonedinaustralia yeah maxy

reggae for mine too

fuck yup mon...seen
09-11-02 06:00 PM
Nasty Habits A happy reggae trio of rudies we be!

Hey Maxy, did you see last month's Mojo, with the free reggae CD, half of which were cuts I picked out for the definitive "early reggae" comp I sent to you?

Can I pick 'em or what?

I should do this professionally!

"Because the wicked carry us away (captivity) require from us a song. How can we be singing of our song in a strange land?"

cheers sia!

09-11-02 06:24 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy jb-

You ever compare me or any other Beatles fans to the Taliban again I'll find a good-natured liberal Irish Democrat to break your neck, just to make sure you won't have any complaints about it.

It's the straw that broke the camel's back, pal! I tell you over and over again I don't hate you, just disagree with you and you just keep on flaming away!

I'm making it official, and I hope others will do the same - jb: your intolerant attitude has pushed me over the edge and this is your official warning from tSYX, Ltd. Don't do it again. I hope others will join me in telling you to cool the fuck off. You rattle on about what a great country America is? I tell you this, man - America's a great country because of *tolerance*, regardless of race, creed, or what band you listen to. That least of all. Telling someone they should be 'smoked out of their caves' because they like a band you don't? What's next, genocide over your preferred Nikes versus the infidel Addidas?

tSYX, Ltd. has warned you. It's not a threat, I'm not saying "don't do it again or I'll threaten you with physical harm". I'm saying "don't do it again or I'll put in an official complaint to the moderators, asking for your censure or removal".

-tSYX --- Come down an' get it!
09-11-02 06:25 PM
stonedinaustralia hey there nasty... missed seeing you around - check your e-mail - i just dropped you a line

that reggae comp sounds interesting and i'm sure it's very professionally done

what's on it?

cheers right back at ya man

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
09-11-02 08:28 PM
Sir Stonesalot Good Lord...I've been listening to "The Trojan Explosion"(MOJO free CD) since I got the damn thing last month! It's ab fab.

So what cho like best...blue beat? Dance Hall? Rock Steady? Roots Reggae? Ska? Dub?

I likes it all, no problem, mon.
09-11-02 08:38 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Good Lord...I've been listening to "The Trojan Explosion"(MOJO free CD) since I got the damn thing last month! It's ab fab.

So what cho like best...blue beat? Dance Hall? Rock Steady? Roots Reggae? Ska? Dub?

I likes it all, no problem, mon.

.....SKA!!!!!! I likes the ska!
09-11-02 09:23 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
.....SKA!!!!!! I likes the ska!

Hrmm... I haven't found any Ska I've been very happy with yet. I'd love to hear what is considered 'good stuff' and not happy-go-lucky power-pop "We are Ska too!" artists like Less Than Jake. Any recommendations?

I'd also love to hear what the modern Reggae scene is up to - I love what I've heard of Bob Marley, even though he's now very much in the past.

Keith's reggae stuff, even (sigh) "Too Rude", is often quite good.

-tSYX --- There's a whisper there where once there was a stone...
09-11-02 11:40 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Hrmm... I haven't found any Ska I've been very happy with yet. I'd love to hear what is considered 'good stuff' and not happy-go-lucky power-pop "We are Ska too!" artists like Less Than Jake. Any recommendations?

I'd also love to hear what the modern Reggae scene is up to - I love what I've heard of Bob Marley, even though he's now very much in the past.

Keith's reggae stuff, even (sigh) "Too Rude", is often quite good.

-tSYX --- There's a whisper there where once there was a stone...

....English ska, circa 1977-82, Specials, early Dexy's,admitadely the stuff I listened to was a bit whitebread, and very commercial, take a listen to the debut album by INXS, very ska!
09-11-02 11:53 PM
Nasty Habits Xyzzis -- You must hear REAL ska - ska recorded in the 60s by Jamaicans as hooked on American rock and roll as Mick and Keith were, except they made it somethin' differnt.

Toots and the Maytals, Justin Hines and the Dominos, The Clarendonians, motherfuckin' Laurel Aitken, early Desmond Dekker, Skatelites, Stranger Cole, the Ethiopians, there is a whole world of fantastic, soulful, vibrant music out there just waiting for you to pick up on it.

A good place to start for Stones fans is probably The Harder They Come Soundtrack, but you shouldn't stop there.

Trojan records sells fantastic 3 CD boxsets at a great price right now - I know places that sell them for as little as $16 for 3 CDs. There's like 13 different volumes, which is a lot to choose form. But there's two exellent volumes of ska that are great, a volume called "Tighten Up" that the Mojo CD theives from heavily, and a volume called "Mod" that is start to finish great.

With notable exceptions like Johnny Clarke's work with King Tubby, I lose the plot around 1972 - the dub thing has to be really really good to lure my rockin' ass in, and Rasta music is just too loose.

But early reggae is so simple, so dumb, and SO DIRTY!

Just like everything in life should be.

"I saw a boy the other day, he had barb wire in his underpants."

Norah Dean - "Oh Mama"

09-12-02 08:47 AM
Dandelion*
Hey gypsymofo60!

Please elaborate on this tossing bit you seem to be so fond of...and also...does it have any relation to the "mofo" thingy? Gimme a glimmer...

Best regards,

Dandy
09-12-02 08:52 AM
Moonisup Keith made a very good reggea cd
09-12-02 09:44 AM
Sir Stonesalot Nasty gots it right...again. Holy hell dude, what did you do? Steal my brain?

Toots and the Maytals, and The Skatalites just kill. Laurel Aitken and Desmond Dekker are brilliant. I like reggea too...Of course, Bob Marley is at the top of the heap....but also check out Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Black Uhuru...And as far as the Brit Ska scene from the late 70's & early 80's, The Specials first album is simply perfect. But don't forget The English Beat!

Xyzzy...my new burner should get installed sometime today. If you don't mind being a guinnea pig, I'll train myself by making a ska/reggea CD for you...to point you in the proper direction. PM me your address. Just promise me that if you dig what you hear, you will buy some of the albums for your collection.....because NO collection can be complete without some Ska & Reggea.
09-12-02 10:44 AM
jb Forget it!
[Edited by jb]
09-12-02 10:53 AM
Joey I like eggs !

Scrambled .......hard boiled ........soft and cuddly ............sunny side up ................it all don't matter !

I likes them -- I really do !!!!!!!!!!!!

Snaggle

09-12-02 10:55 AM
jb Thank you Joey...I also like eggs!
09-12-02 12:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
TSYX- don't threaten me ever again....if you have something to say to me send me a private message and I'll be glad to give you my tele #, address, and whatever other info you might need. I take you threats dead serious and I will act accordingly.
Also, I notice Fiji Joe wants to kick my ass ....I will tell you this much, with all my sarcastic posts, I have never threatened to hurt anyone...you guys crossed the line today and believe me, I've been in this profession too long to take threats lightly....I am asking both of you to retract your threats for your own benefit.
[Edited by jb]
[Edited by jb]
[Edited by jb]

jb, man, I acknowledge after much consideration that telling you "I'll break your neck" went wayyyy too far. I've had a few personal connections to 9/11 and being compared to the Taliban just kinda pushed me over the edge. So I'm sorry for that - it had been a looooooooooooooooooooooooong day. But I still am very upset that you compared me in that light. I urge you too to consider your actions. Remember, people have gotten used to taking you lightly, but there are still things you can say that are deeply hurtful even if you don't intend them to be.

Alright, man? Can we reach some sort of consensus here?

-tSYX --- If you can't rock me...
09-12-02 12:03 PM
jb Fine, lets just drop it....
09-12-02 12:53 PM
sirmoonie Great thread boys and girls! I can't tell you how proud I am of all of you that participated! The flames were great, but the good old fashioned butt-kicking threats! Whooaaaa man! I mean, holy piss running down the wall onto my shooooes! I love all of you antagonistic bastards!

Hey, the United Center show was really great. Not just great, really great. There is a significant distinction. I feel so much better getting one out of my system. My brain may return to normal. At least I will be able to get some work done between now and the NYC junkular debaclized bash from the depths of hell.

Mick Jagger is unbelievable doing what he does at his age or at any age, for that matter. Just amazing. In my drunken state, I could see this aura around him, he just sticks out above all men, and I really was drunkenly musing whether he made some kind of deal with the devil. How the hell do you do what he does? Man, some of the best singing and rocking I have heard. Greatest rock and roller of all time, hands down. Nobody even comes close, IMO. Sir Michael Phillip Jagger of the Rolling Stones. I worship the man.

Ronnie was great, he really was. Everything thats been said so far about his current playing was right on the number. Played lap slide a few times really nicely. Keith was good. He was barely clowning around at all. He actually had a work face on at times, although sometimes he appeared lost. Plenty of guitar though, and the backups were mixed in nicely, not overbearing. Charlie was Charlie - came in at just the right moments and got the somewhat lame crowd jumping. They seemed much more tight and energized than when I saw them in '97. I hope that everyone else that sees them agrees. Our band is on top of their game! Jaggernautical!

Every song was played well. Straight into SFM and show was consistent high energy all the way. Particularly peachy keen were: Don't Stop (it rocks live, my friends), Stray Cat Blues (smoking!), Faraway Eyes, Satisfaction, and Tumblin'. At least according to the stupid, barely legible, drunken notes I scribbled at the time. God these boards have turned me into a geek. Who fucking takes notes at a concert??? Jeez, looeeze, get up off your knees.

B stage was a trip. I was about 10 yards away. I actually quit singing and bopping around like an banshee Zulu warrior on acid, and instead just stared at the four of them like a 10 year old looking at his first Playboy. At end of B, Mick cruised out through one of exit tunnels and passed about a foot away from me. He was hilarious. He had this kind of business like scowl on but you could tell he was holding back a grin. He kept backhanding people's outstretched hands away from him, with a bemused look like "get away you insignificant person." We're not worthy!

No fire bombs though, which was kinda disappointing. I like fire bombs. I really do. I wish I had a job shooting off fire bombs at Stones' shows. I don't think anyone could shoot off firebombs at Stones' shows as well as I could shoot off firebombs at Stones' shows. Its an art form, not easily learned. You have to be born with the knack, really. The knack for shooting off firebombs at Stones' shows.

CYHMK - thank you very much my Stonesian Gods for playing this song for me. I won't forget it until my last alcohol soaked synapse atrophys into a knot that resembles Keith's face. Electric geetar! Help me baby, ain't no stranger.....god, I hope and pray that you all get to hear those lines! I don't have words to describe how incredible it was singing that along with my good friends Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Yins that haven't seen them yet are in for a treat, but you already knew that. I suppose this all ties back to the dude who started this thread - I'd go see them T Centrie, you creepy little twit, even if you think their heydey is long gone. You wouldn't know it watching them play at United Center.

Well, I got three more in NYC to go, but now I beginning to think its not enough. Fucking things are addictive. I need more!

P.S. Caught some of the Pretenders. They were great too. Nice sound. Chrissie is a rocking babe.

P.S.S. Really(!) nice array of souvies for mass consumption. Bring lots of cash if you are into that stuff. My little girl woke up to an awesome Tongue t-shirt on her bed. I almost cried seeing how excited she was putting on her "Rowwin Stoneses" t-shirt.

"Touch them all, Ronnie!"
09-12-02 12:57 PM
Moonisup Well it is clear that you've had a great time!!! Can't wait to get my share when they are in Europe!! I will enjoy every show,
rik
[Edited by Moonisup]
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-12-02 01:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Wow. They have kid sized Stones stuff? My kid is gonna be SO happy.
09-12-02 01:01 PM
Moonisup Is your kid a fan SS? I became a fan because my father is, I think it is in the blood, you can't become a fan, you're born with it, after all Andrew l. oldham said "it is not just a group but a way of life, strange actually, I think he never would have thought how true it was and that for 40 years already!!
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-12-02 01:19 PM
jb Please be careful Moon...Your friendship is appreciated but I do not want you to be threatened ...you are a peace loving Dutchman and I hate to have you subjected to this ! Your Friend JB Von Groeten....
09-12-02 01:27 PM
Moonisup thank for mentioning, I think we are among the most openminded on this board, with having room for some discussion without vicious personal attacks

groeten van
rik
[Edited by Moonisup]
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-12-02 01:31 PM
jb You are better than these people!!! You have defended me where others have cowered! I will not soon forget your kindness. I have 2 tickets to each Fla. show...and th row...they are yours if you can make it.
[Edited by jb]
09-12-02 01:33 PM
Moonisup That is a very very generous offer jb!!! I unfortunatly can't make it there, I don't have the money, well that is the hard side of studentlife!! I'd love to go to florida sometime, and maybe we could get a beer then!!

rik
09-12-02 01:36 PM
jb Good luck Rik...I am sure you will be successful like me...you have the right attitude and seem quite intelligent!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7