ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

FleetCenter,Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is it REALLY REALLY REALLY worthy? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
09-09-02 08:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot I don't know nank. It might have been Stormy. But he rarely uses words like "shithead". And I would have expected better from him than "Get A Life".

I mean, Stormy is such a windbag. This guy was flat out brief compared to the usual Stormy post.

AND!

It would surprise me if he hid behind a different handle
09-09-02 10:22 AM
Joey Stormy can you hear me ???????

Stormy can you see me ????????

Stormy can you FEEL me ???????

Stormy ........Oh Storrrrrrrrrrmmmy !!!!!!

Where is that glorious Stormy way ????????

Club " Clubby Bear " Joey

He only sees the Stones in Clubs

09-09-02 11:14 AM
Dandelion* Sir Moonie,

I shall not sit on your lap and you WILL lose the opportunity of lifetime. Truly! I'm not quite sure if your posts at Keno's this morning will redeem you. Okay - they do...I take it you are meeting up with Steelie in Chicago? Just don't forget the lube!

To the poor new poster who I cannot remember his/her name and who has been descended upon by.......by those who normally don't indulge but must have caught some disease whilst out and about :

Go.

You will never regret it. It is beyond mere entertainment. They are still great. You will change your mind. I cannot guarantee this but I suspect if you don't you it may mean you have some real serious blockage preventing it. Stop thinking about Mick and younger women. Ask yourself and your therapist why you are thinking about this so much. It is not normal. Probably not healthy since it seems to disturb you yet you cannot stop. There may be medication available for this disorder. I haven't heard of a cure for latent homosexuality yet - but when I do I shall let you and all the other boyz here know as soon as possible to ease your worried little heads. Both of them....rimshot please....

A little history so you can appreciate my perspective. Became a fan at the age of 12 when I saw the Michael Lindsey Hogg's Jumping Jack Flash clip on some history of rock and roll documentary. Then cut to surly back stage circa 1965 footage. I was hooked. Was babysitting for a neighbor. They also had a "Get Your Yay Ya's Out" LP. Listened to that as I gazed at the front and back covers. Such a strange and magical place and time it seemed. So very unsuburban and 1980s. So far away from that. I was very young. I liked listening to the classical station on my radio and catching Carmen at the Met, and the "Blues Brothers" soundtrack. And an Elvis Costello tape I got from my step brother. And the Boomtown Rats on the Kenny Everet Video Show. And reading back issues of Creem magazine. Lester Bangs. This was the chronological time that Emotional Rescue was released. I liked that as well - particularly the campy videos. They were really great unlike the Tattoo You ones. Still are some of my favorites.

Loved side two of Tattoo You. Undercover was okay but not thrilling. Lost touch after that. Re connected with B2B. Great album. Really. Listen with an open mind. (Unless of course you are the Storm - in that case - Hi Stormy! Missed you...) That was the first tour I saw them. Saw them a few times on the No Security tour. They were great. I am not a worshipful obsessive fan. I um....know where you are coming from... I can figure what you've seen....and I agree. There is not that much of that here, really I swear...please guys....!?

A good bit of what they had done in the 80s sucks. Some so much that it enters the realm of mindless horror. Mick had really bad hair in '89, didn't he? He released the mid 80's solo stuff and that narrative video vanity piece called "Running Out of Luck" which the act of watching it can only be compared with watching Pasolini's "120 Days of Sodom". It's the aesthetic and publicly painful lowpoint of the same man who made Exile on Main Street. What happened indeed...

But you see, he's human. They're human. People don't live their lives as perfect works of fiction no matter how much we may want them to.

Ask yourself why you want them to....

If you feel they did irreparable harm to their past, I can certainly understand that. I saw the "Mixed Emotions" video in '89 and was just like "okay - so that whole thing is over..."

Just go to the damn show. Stop trying to inflame the inner geek of some boys who normally don't drop the ball...too much...you won. Just go see the show.

To SS:

At the risk of catching hell on the drive to Vet's next week.....you spake:

"He claims to be such a big fan, and then slags on the front man."

So have I. Mick Jagger is not infallible. In fact the polar differences in his output are quite stunning. Juxtapose Gimme Shelter with Running Out of Luck. It is amazing this is the same human being. I suppose one could work out the math if they had the inclination.

" Then he turns around and says he really only likes a few of the Stones albums...yeah, a real fan."

What is wrong with that? I really don't like much more of their stuff starting with dumbed down anthem crap like Start Me UP which sounds like something Aerosmyth (did I spell that right?) would think sounds Stonesy. And those syrupy ballads. Not the great stuff like side two of Tattoo You, but like Out of Tears and other such stuff. And I don't like the new song.

Perhaps this guy found a few things he really liked and used those as a standard to measure other output in relation to similarity. Big deal. It's his right.

" Doesn't even know if he should go to a show or not. Pure fuckwit crap if I ever heard it. "

I had never been to a Stones show until B2B. I actually missed all the Chicago shows and kinda regretted it while watching the news coverage and then bought tickets for Madison Wis. I never had a real desire to see them before that. I was too young back when I became a fan as a kid and going to a stadium would have really freaked me out anyway. Too much swirling mass there. Vet's will be the first big show of ANYTHING I'm going to.

So there.
09-09-02 11:17 AM
jb Please do not go..!
09-09-02 11:27 AM
Lacride WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES! WE WANT STONES!

Who the f*** is TCS?
09-09-02 11:50 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Joey...

Can you see the real Stormie, Doctor?
Can you see the real Stormie, Mama?
Can you see the real Stormie, Preacher?

-tSYX --- Every year is the same...
09-09-02 11:55 AM
Lacride
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Joey...

Can you see the real Stormie, Doctor?
Can you see the real Stormie, Mama?
Can you see the real Stormie, Preacher?

-tSYX --- Every year is the same...

... I'm a looser, no chance to win...

Great stuff!
09-09-02 12:08 PM
sirmoonie "I shall not sit on your lap and you WILL lose the opportunity of lifetime. Truly! I'm not quite sure if your posts at Keno's this morning will redeem you. Okay - they do..."

So...you will or you won't?

Oh, Dandelion, you know I'm just kidding around. I look forward to shaking your hand and saying Hi. You're so damn interesting with your superior intellect, obsession with everything gay, and those wee little insecurities that come out every now and then.

Glad I'm redeemed. I need redemption. Redemption songs. Great, now I have Bob Marley on the brain again. Last time that happened, things got way out of control!
09-09-02 12:17 PM
marcus aurelianus Is it REALLY REALLY REALLY worthy ????????

That makes me sick ! And it is supposed to come from a Rolling Stones fan ...
A fan tired of the Rolling Stones is tired of LIFE !!
09-09-02 12:24 PM
Dandelion* Oh no! Did my teasing offend? I just could not understand the savage mob attack on that poor soul who seemed to be asking an honest (and reasonable) question.

Non gay teasing content - bring back Mick Taylor. Or don't bring back Mick Taylor. I forgot. Which side should one be on?

09-09-02 12:27 PM
Nellcote Hey Dandy;

Boy, just when I thought this thread had gotten out of control, asking this crowd if Mick T should be in or out is tantamont to an OJ trial redux!

You should have stopped while you were ahead.

Given Ronald Wood's performances, Mick T has about a thimble full of chance to get back on the bus, even as a guest, IMO.

Which is the way it should be, now and forever!
09-09-02 12:44 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Hey Dandy;

Boy, just when I thought this thread had gotten out of control, asking this crowd if Mick T should be in or out is tantamont to an OJ trial redux!

You should have stopped while you were ahead.

Given Ronald Wood's performances, Mick T has about a thimble full of chance to get back on the bus, even as a guest, IMO.

Which is the way it should be, now and forever!

I agree - but chaos can be our friend. It sure is entertaining!

Is Mick Taylor gay?

09-09-02 12:45 PM
Nellcote Way beyond my knowledge.

Maybe this is why he left?

Certainly did not turn out to be Clapton 2
09-09-02 01:21 PM
Maxlugar "Oh no! Did my teasing offend? I just could not understand the savage mob attack on
that poor soul who seemed to be asking an honest (and reasonable) question."

The Central Scrutinizer is a Frank Zappa bit from Joe's Garage.

There was a man who would quote from Zappa quite often in the days of Stones World ('96 - '97)

This man is not innocent! NO!!

Developing..........

Maxy Von Missing DREW BLOWS!
09-09-02 01:25 PM
nankerphelge There's a litmus test for that -- just bad-mouth the Who a bit and see if he bites....
09-09-02 01:49 PM
Joey " There's a litmus test for that -- just bad-mouth the Who a bit and see if he bites.... "

Hey !!!!!!

Chomp ...........................
09-09-02 02:03 PM
Pants Make the Man T. C. Scrutinizer, by all mean's, DON'T GO TO SEE THE STONES. Save your money and go see Radiohead or the Hives, somebody like that. They are, for a fact, much younger band's than the Rolling Stones. Don't go to see the Who either. Pete Townsend, whilst being extemely literate, is 57 year's old and bald headed, with a pot belly.
09-09-02 02:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot A few thoughts D...

There is a difference between criticism, and slagging. Saying GITD is a crappy album, and calling the Jagger a joke of a man is two entirely different things. I myself have been a great critic at times of Mick. But I never thought that he was a joke. I never questioned his manhood.

I never said everyone had to like ALL of the Stones albums...I don't. And there are some I like more than others. However, this guy says he only likes a few of the albums. How can this be? How is it possible to be a self proclaimed "big fan", and only care for a few albums that were released 30 years ago? I like a few of the U2 albumns, but I'd certainly not call myself a fan...not even casually. I suppose that some of us have differing definitions of what the phrase "big fan" is. This guy (and I use that term in the loosest possible way) is not a fan of the Rolling Stones...he's a fan of what once was. And in my mind there is a significant difference between the 2 things.

I am only going to excuse you on the live thing because I know about how you feel about crowds....and it's not exclusive to just the Stones. You didn't go to see ANYONE. Perhaps this guy has crowd issues as well? I doubt it. My position is that any self-respecting fan of the Rolling Stones absolutely WANTS to be at at least one of these upcoming shows. If they have to question if they should buy a ticket...well, IMO, they should not really be claiming to be a big fan. At least they should be claiming to be the kind of fan that can lecture the rest of us on our choices.

Bottom line...the guy was a windbagscrotumsucking troll. And I'm NEVER nice to them.
09-09-02 03:12 PM
Joey " Bottom line...the guy was a windbagscrotumsucking troll. And I'm NEVER nice to them. "

You're just in very foul humor Stoney because you are scared what will happen to your Nitany lions this weekend .

Prepare for a nasty beating by the Huskers !

YES !!!!!

Skittles Joey

09-09-02 04:24 PM
Dandelion* "Sir Stonesalot wrote:
A few thoughts D...

There is a difference between criticism, and slagging. Saying GITD is a crappy album, and calling the Jagger a joke of a man is two entirely different things. I myself have been a great critic at times of Mick. But I never thought that he was a joke. I never questioned his manhood."

But have you questioned whether or not he's circumcised!!!???

I don't think that guy (assuming it wasn't DREW BLOWS trolling) questioned his manhood....what the hell is "manhood" any way?

"I never said everyone had to like ALL of the Stones albums...I don't. And there are some I like more than others. However, this guy says he only likes a few of the albums. How can this be?"

Maybe because he only likes a few of the albums?

" How is it possible to be a self proclaimed "big fan", and only care for a few albums that were released 30 years ago? "

Why is it not possible? He's a big fan of certain things. The Stones output is diverse enough for this to happen. Easily. If they only made music like the stuff I don't like I would not like them at all.

"I like a few of the U2 albumns, but I'd certainly not call myself a fan...not even casually."

I like a lot of U2's stuff that their original fans hate. I guess I am a fan of theirs too. I'm a Muddy fan. A Dylan fan. I'm a fan of Grand Tour bronzes and 18th century porcelain. I'm a fan of The Indian Pavilion's $4.95 lunch buffet. I'm a fan of Taco Bell - but only the Taco Supreme, pintos and cheese and the chicken quesidella. I am not a fan of their nachos. I hate that cheeze whiz crap. But I don't mind it on Sheetz nachos because they load them up with all the other good stuff like jalepeno peppers and onions and chili and salsa, etc. I am a fan of Sheetz nachos.

" I suppose that some of us have differing definitions of what the phrase "big fan" is. This guy (and I use that term in the loosest possible way) is not a fan of the Rolling Stones...he's a fan of what once was. And in my mind there is a significant difference between the 2 things."

He may be a fan of things different from that which you are - things in particular - as opposed to a fan of the whole - but that does not make him not a fan. He is just not devoted.

"I am only going to excuse you on the live thing because I know about how you feel about crowds....and it's not exclusive to just the Stones. You didn't go to see ANYONE. Perhaps this guy has crowd issues as well? I doubt it."

Hmmm....but you see - while I don't like being in the middle of a very condensed mass of people - it wasn't the main reason why I never went to shows. I like certain rock and roll bands. But I'm not a rock and roll fan. While I like some things within the genre - the large part I don't care for all that much. I actually read about it more than listened to it. Going to a rock concert is a sort of a "lifestyle" thing to many and it's just not something I was ever really drawn to. I got sucked in by the hype. Then I saw what fun it could be. When I first became interested in rock/popular music I thought that the Stones were perfect in Gimme Shelter. So perfect that there was no point seeing them live if I couldn't have been at MSG or Altamont. Talk about a crowd there! I think I would have gone even in hindsight (not that I could have mind you...) I saw and read 1981 press reports about stadium shows and Mick as the bouncing dot and watching them on a big screen. I didn't see the point in it. I still don't really. Not unless you're up close.

But back to the fan thing. I really don't like '50s rock and roll. Never did. But I like early Sun Elvis now. I LOVE any cheesy song that was on the soundtrack to Scorpio Rising. It's because they are on that soundtrack. I probably wouldn't like them if they weren't - or rather wouldn't have appreciated them in the way I do now. I am a fan of certain cheesy '50's teen death songs. And Nancy Sinatra. If I decided to go see Nancy Sinatra in concert just because I like "These Boots are Made for Walking" and know no other songs of hers and probably wouldn't like them if I did - would it be okay if I was attacked by a group of rabid Nancy Sinatra fans if I happened to find a fan messageboard devoted to her and asked if it was worth going and if she's still got it? Huh?

"My position is that any self-respecting fan of the Rolling Stones absolutely WANTS to be at at least one of these upcoming shows. If they have to question if they should buy a ticket...well, IMO, they should not really be claiming to be a big fan. At least they should be claiming to be the kind of fan that can lecture the rest of us on our choices."

I don't think he started lecturing, if he did, until he was attacked. It was a pretty normal reaction.

"Bottom line...the guy was a windbagscrotumsucking troll. And I'm NEVER nice to them."

But you're nice to me!
09-09-02 04:38 PM
sirmoonie "what the hell is "manhood" any way?"

See me after the show. I can help you out with this one.

(heh, heh, gotcha)
09-09-02 05:40 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
"what the hell is "manhood" any way?"

See me after the show. I can help you out with this one.

(heh, heh, gotcha)

I thought you would have spanked me for the unintentional but observed as it was happening bad pun: "Mick as the bouncing dot and watching them on a big screen. I didn't see the point in it."

I would like to see you defend Mick's manhood...

09-09-02 05:54 PM
sirmoonie No, I'm not sharp enough. I had to read that three or four times before I got the pun.

That "spank me" comment was somewhat interesting and illuminating, though. Subliminal-subconscious-Freud-etc. and all that whacky, whacky, whacky school of thought.
09-09-02 05:59 PM
Maxlugar "....what the hell is "manhood" any way?"

I'll show you what manhood is baby!

Ya know? "Manhood"? Heh heh MANHOOD!

Oh did Moonie already go over this?

Damn!

Can you and Sir Stonesalot video tape your car trip together?

Cannes here we come!

M. Tender Skittles!

09-09-02 07:34 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

That "spank me" comment was somewhat interesting and illuminating, though. Subliminal-subconscious-Freud-etc. and all that whacky, whacky, whacky school of thought.

Okay - then spank the monkey!

Maxy - I just may get that monkey to bring his camera....developing.....
09-09-02 09:29 PM
Mickjagger1963 Holy shit.... My job is a newspaper route and I made the money for two concerts in less than a year... (Hotel included) That, and I found some dough to see the Allman Brothers and DMB and Petty this year....Its not that much money if you think about it and save a little...

If you smoke --- Stop smoking for a month.... Theres One balcony seat...

If your fat-----Stop eating for a few days... Another Balcony seat

Drinker? ----- take a weekend off........... theres gas money to drive to the show.

You see---The music is worth it -- if the money is really a problem save a little and you will see

Or just sign up for a paper route..

MJ63 -- Signing off

09-10-02 04:05 AM
gypsymofo60 Dear Tcs/Dandy, I'm sure that if you asked your local GP, what's that in America? Who knows?...Your doctor! He could advise you on how to treat that terribly debilitating case of verbal disentry. I bet you wank over your own posts right? Amiguity incarnate!......tosser!
09-10-02 08:36 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Dear Tcs/Dandy, I'm sure that if you asked your local GP, what's that in America? Who knows?...Your doctor! He could advise you on how to treat that terribly debilitating case of verbal disentry. I bet you wank over your own posts right? Amiguity incarnate!......tosser!

Dear "gypsymofo60",

Please try harder next time. You are covering ground which sirmoonie and myself have already tread upon with far more wit. Also - do you think I am the same as the original poster? Interesting. What's your view on black helicopters? I shall be kind and give your post a D-. If you can't do better please return to the kiddie pool.

Best regards,

Dandy
09-10-02 05:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot I understand where you are coming from D....I just don't agree.

Maybe we see the purpose of this board a bit differently? I see it as a place for us hardcore lunatics to babble about our shared obsession...The Rolling Stones. I suppose I'm not very tolerant of people who aren't as obsessed as I am.

09-10-02 09:31 PM
Fiji Joe Man, you're starting to sound like your own description of U2.

Fork out the money poor boy. It ain't just a concert, it's a life changing event.

And them ain't just hot dogs, dems' bun length hot dogs.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7