ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

FleetCenter,Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is it REALLY REALLY REALLY worthy? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
09-08-02 04:35 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Hi.
I'm a stones fan. Their early-middle records are THE greatest rock albums of all time; some of their late stuff looks positively glorious in comparison to, say... Michael Jackson, Eminem and Madonna put together. Only Dylan is greatest in terms of consistency and revolution, and Ray Davies when it comes to melodies. The Beatles?? Please do consider that they are the daddies of pop but hardly a rock group. Can you go ape with "Get back"?
Anyway, I remember fondly those times when I'd go to high school with my personal music player / headphones, turning myself into the world of country-blues rock of the golden period albums; humming alongside Goats Head Soup to annoy my stupid mates, just before the christmas holidays, and sneaking drinks and Some Girls to overcome my girl breaking my heart repeatedly with some jackass in front of me... Thank godness I had Exile On Main Street to believe in an ideal world where a song like "Pride" never existed (my girl loves U2; meine ego can not stand their sorry ass music with the "let's save the third world" from economical doom attitude.) I even met a (one) stones fan in campus, who wisely introduced me to "Get yer ya-ya's out!", while I was still skeptical of live recordings... and he's a link nowadays for buying quality grass. Those were the days... Wait, it just happened two years ago! And my stupid ex girlfriend still believes she's the hispanic Scarlett O'Hara, breathing around somewhere...
My question, finally: Will it (the concert) be worthy of the green stuff- I'm getting all fluffy, wild and irresistible listening to "Get yer ya-ya's out!" My theory is that art makes people beautiful from both sides, inandout... not pretty per se, but attractive, and even though I'm a guy I've to admit that Keith Richards is sort of an attractive fella; on the other hand, look at those Oasis guys!!!-: Will the concert be really really really good?
I think it won't. The guys had their peak and now they just want to be richer. (There isn't even an entire new album to download in Limewire.) Wouldn't it be more exciting to get drunk / stoned alongside a copy of "Gimme shelter", or to one of their really really really good albums? Beyond the material world, it's the same shit, and imagination manages to glue our actual memories and fantasies in a sole bag: "Gimmie shelter", again, as if we could have been in Altmamont, "Woodstock", etc. That's what movies are all about.
Existentially, they used to be younger and truly menacing, not a near parody of their absolute best.
Oh... and I'm starting to think that Jagger, the man, is the biggest joke in existence.
But I am a fan. I'd like to see them just because they are what they used to be... But, what about the music? The reason I'm working is to support my life, not somebody else's who just had their day.
09-08-02 04:47 PM
sirmoonie "and I'm starting to think that Jagger, the man, is the biggest joke in existence."

You make me sick.
09-08-02 04:51 PM
Moonisup " Existentially, they used to be younger and truly menacing, not a near parody of their absolute best. "

Please put your sloppy shit in a place we can't see it! Do you have a mid liffe crisis??
09-08-02 05:03 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer I think somebody forgot to flush the toilet. Twice!!!
Hahaha.
What makes me sick are images of Jagger performing sex with the young girls. Brrrrrrr. And, no I'm not having a mid life crisis, Einstein.
My question was not rethoric; you're not answering, so you can't tell me where I can post my shit. Probably you don't even understand that I am a fan even though I'm not pleased with every single note these guys have played (as I'm sure you are), less to support an oldies act. Get a life. A "NO" was the answer I'm afraid to get, honestly, because if the music is good, I don't mind the crowd, the lights, the sets the balloons, and the robotic fans.
09-08-02 05:10 PM
Moonisup
quote:
T.CentralScrutinizer wrote:
Einstein.

Yes I know I am a genius, thank you for making me aware of that! Jagger having sex with youn girls, so what! I ain't intrested in what he does in bed, but what he does on stage!!

rik
09-08-02 05:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, the Stones are worth every penny for me.

But I'm not you. And since I don't really know you at all, it would be very difficult for me to answer that question for you.

You need to go, and see for yourself.
09-08-02 05:19 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Well I ain't interested in you, moonisup. But now we're getting closer to a decent matter of discusion: what Jagger (let's not forget the other guys, mister) does in stage, besides prancing, testing hats, gesticulating, and, hopefully, hitting the right notes, is worthy of the price of entrance?
Of course it is to some extent. Otherwise I wouldn't have faith in the greatest rock group of all time (still, those images about what the man does in bed... brrrrr.) But, to what extent? Cheers, lad, you may have now answered my question without wanting to: it is a concert for star worshipers.
09-08-02 05:19 PM
sirmoonie Make some sense, ya fucking half-wit. A page and a half of broken, run-on sentences and incomplete, almost incoherent, thoughts garbled up in a moronic attempt to "ask" people on a Stones board whether the shows are worth going to. What do you think the answer will be "Einstein"?

And now:

"Pour on some Iron City Beer! Sparkling, robust flavor, that does your thirst a favor, so when you're really ready, pour it on! Pour on the Iron!"
09-08-02 05:22 PM
tumblingdice I have not been disappointed at any Stones show yet. I am a young fan under 30, so I am not looking at it from an older point of view. Jagger danced circles around opening young act the flys in Tampa 99, live the sound is great, not like you find on AUD boots that do not pick up the whole sound. So yeah it is worth it. Hear Keiths guitar with life that no tape machine can capture and Mick's voice still as good if not better than ever before. Not like the Seventies slur but strong and as it was recorded. Great so far that I have seen. So go, oh yea of little faith and see that the Stones are good.
09-08-02 05:27 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Thank you, sir stonesalot. You make sense. As for people I regarded as turds, I apologise. There's no need to get personal.

09-08-02 05:30 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Thanks, TumblingDice. Since it was impossible for me to attend a seventies concert, as I didn't exist at the time, I'll just take my chances this time around. Millions of people can't be all that wrong, less represented by a couple of arguments. Right?
09-08-02 05:38 PM
Moonisup No it ain't a concert for starworshipers!! I lik the music, and the rolling stones lifestyle!!! I think there are people who go for that reason, and jagger in bed give me chills to, hhaah. I am a younger fan, I am 19, I haven't seen a band who has that charisma on stage! And still have the energy to tour, they certainly don't need the money anymore, I think everyone has to respect them for that. I'd love to attend 70-ies concerts, but I wasn't born then, I agree that the stones where the stones then. The tongue is now a brand name, like levi's ore nike, that makes me sad!! What I wanted was that this tour became a failure due to lack of interest from the audience so they could go to smaller venues, but I live in Holland and it won't happen here, there here top of the bill everytime they'll visit our small, asslicking country!!

Cheers to you!!

Rik
09-08-02 05:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot Look at it like this...I'll bet you've spent a Benjamin on stupider stuff.
09-08-02 05:59 PM
Moonisup Sir to whom are you saying that?
09-08-02 06:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot MIU..I was saing that to T.CS
09-08-02 06:05 PM
Moonisup OK,
09-08-02 06:09 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Central, buddy, I saw them 9/3, my first Stones ooncert *ever*, 16, man, and I've gotta tell ya, they were worth the $150 for the seats up in the balcony.

You ask "What does Mick Jagger do" and then you answer your own question! He dances, he prances, he sings *the right notes*, and sings them with conviction. What more would you like him to do? Bring a cake to your seat? He's fifty times better than most modern substitutes that don't play instruments - and he even strapped on a guitar for "Don't Stop"... so no, Mick Jagger is not a joke.

As for him banging 20-year-olds... if you were almost 60 and single, would you be doing as well?

-tSYX --- She ran alla way, alla way, alla way, allaway down!
09-08-02 06:35 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Bringing the cake... That's hilarious.
I may be cheap, but something just came up to me. I imagine Keith has sang the lead in a couple of songs for the present tour; does anybody know if he's done "You got the silver"?, my absolute favorite. Enough reason for renting a good space.
(Maybe I ought to wait for The Expensive Winos instead.) =)
09-08-02 07:03 PM
scull T.CS - sounds like the 'quality grass' you refer to has been sprayed with PCP.

I think you may have a long wait for the Winos to tour again.
09-08-02 07:07 PM
luridchief SINCE WHEN IS IT A BAD THING TO BANG HOT YOUNG CHICKS???

Y'know--as long as they're over 18 and such.

This is Mick Fucking JAGGER we're talkin' about--I'll be pissed when he ISN'T gettin' it on with hot young models!

What the hell is he supposed to do--sit at home and watch MATLOCK all freakin' day???

[Edited by luridchief]
09-08-02 07:20 PM
parmeda
quote:
Existentially, they used to be younger and truly menacing, not a near parody of their absolute best.
Oh... and I'm starting to think that Jagger, the man, is the biggest joke in existence.
But I am a fan. I'd like to see them just because they are what they used to be... But, what about the music? The reason I'm working is to support my life, not somebody else's who just had their day.

T.Central...
Worthy, you ask?
The mere fact that this group is still together, 40 years and running, should be enough for any true fan to want to spend their hard earned dollars...at whatever cost, to witness and experience "the whole package" of what this group has been about. A true fan that has followed them through the years...has spent countless amounts of cash in order to "be a part" of everything they have to offer...from record sales to concert tickets. With absolutely NO regrets.
Granted, they won't live forever, NONE OF US are promised tomorrow...but in the meantime, if they're willing to come out and perform, I, as well as thousands of others, will make whatever sacrifices it will take to make sure we get a ticket.
If you're having doubts on whether or not you should attend a concert and let the moths out of your wallet, stay at home my friend and miss out on an experience of a lifetime. But if you can come to terms with yourself, and decide that your curiosity is getting the best of you, do whatever it takes to get a ticket...and see for yourself why most of us here are very defensive when someone, such as yourself, thinks that 'Jagger, the man, is the biggest joke in existence'.
09-08-02 08:24 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer [quote]parmeda wrote:

A true fan that has followed them through the years...has spent countless amounts of cash in order to "be a part" of everything they have to offer...from record sales to concert tickets. With absolutely NO regrets.

(End of quote)

A true fan has to worship with absolutely no sense of criticism, bar the "they won't live forever" remark, everything that a music band produces? You may be defensive over a stupid remark I made about Jagger (speaking about his public persona, not about his indisputable talent, I may add), but I consider myself a devoted follower of the Rolling Stones, although I am partial to some (a very small fraction, in fact) of their material. Before this turns out into a bizantine discusion regarding the band's overall importance and influence, I apologise about what I said about Jagger, the man.
[Edited by T.CentralScrutinizer]
09-08-02 08:25 PM
nankerphelge I think its Stormy in drag...
09-08-02 08:27 PM
luridchief It's only rock and roll.
09-08-02 08:43 PM
Jaxx >>>>Oh... and I'm starting to think that Jagger, the man, is the biggest joke in existence.

he's a multi millionaire and laughing all the way to the bank!

>>>>>>But I am a fan. I'd like to see them just because they are what they used to be...

they are what they are NOW. this is a band that has evolved and moved forward. no motivated artist stagnates, i don't care what the medium

>>>But, what about the music?

its only rock and roll, but i like it? is this a trick question?

>>>>>The reason I'm working is to support my life, not somebody else's who just had their day.

its your money to spend it how you please. the stones are a great live band. its up to you decide if the "ticket to ride" is a price you can live with....existentially....
[Edited by Jaxx]
09-08-02 08:46 PM
parmeda Thank you Jaxx...
09-08-02 08:51 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Jaxx: idem post 7.
It's only rock and roll.
But it used to be more than that.
09-08-02 08:53 PM
tumblingdice no it's always been rock-n-roll and I am glad it still is, no matter the money, no matter the fame, when it's all laid out on the line, it's the music baby!!
09-08-02 09:00 PM
Jaxx sorry,i was being sarcastic and facitious. it was never only JUST rock and roll and it still isn't. its rock and roll plus blues, plus rhythm and blues, plus honk, plus country plus disco (there WAS a phase) plus rap (can't forget about too much blood) plus techno plus whatever else the boys fancy and want to add to their repetoire.
[Edited by Jaxx]
09-08-02 09:09 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer It used to be rock and roll heaven.

Choose one only from every case: "Exile" / "Bridges"; "Gimme shelter" / "Let's spend the night together"; "2 000 light years from home / "Continental drift"... Footage from their latest concerts look marginally better from their eighties stuff, but an evolution in rock??? Prove it. Not by the number of dollars in Jagger's account or by the ticket sales. (Britney Spears would be great on the basis of her popularity.)

Tumbling Dice: It's only rock and roll, alright, and there's a way to discern good ("Voodoo lounge"), breathtaking ("Beggar's Banquet") and juvenile ("Emotional rescue") examples of this genre throughout the band's catalogue: Do not worship everything the band produces as if its a gift from the gods. Errare Humanum Est.
[Edited by T.CentralScrutinizer]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7