ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Who's driving my bus?
The Bigger Bang Bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina
40x5 la Disquería/ Midnight Rambler / 40x5 Tributo bar / EMI Argentina / Modena Desing
Photo by khalil78 from BdP the message board by Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The He-Man Emotional Rescue Hater's Club Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
August 29th, 2005 03:31 PM
blackandblue
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Words!!

ER haters are often Winning Ugly lovers!!

No way! ER is not very good (only 3 good songs) but Winning Ugly and the rest of that **** album is far worse.
August 29th, 2005 03:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dirty Work....hmmmm....yeah.

Another other club for another other thread on another other day.

And Gazza...unfortunately the B-side has to go with the A-side. I like "Down In The Hole". However the overiding stench of er overides my like for the B-side.

PULL!! Ka-BLAMMO!!!
August 29th, 2005 03:57 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Sleepy London Clown wrote:
"emotional resQ" is f******g awful!!!!!!! It's the only Stones single I'd be embarrassed to play in front of friends.......... it sucks big time!!!

I'M GONNA PLAY IT NEXT PARTY BETWEEN DANCIN QUEEN AND UNDER PRESSURE
August 29th, 2005 04:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
And Gazza...unfortunately the B-side has to go with the A-side. I like "Down In The Hole". However the overiding stench of er overides my like for the B-side.

PULL!! Ka-BLAMMO!!!

fair enough. Had "Where the boys go" been the B-side, I might have had to reconsider my membership. "Down in the hole" is good, but its not as great as Emotional rescue is bad.

Blaze away!
August 29th, 2005 04:18 PM
texile
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>ER, the SONG, is a masterpiece of soul..<

Dude, do you have any idea what "soul" music is?

Isaac Hayes is soul music. James Brown is soul music. The Isley Brothers is soul music. The Four Tops is soul music. The Temptations is soul music.

emotional rescue has nothing at all to do with soul music. It's shitty disco crap. There is no way around it.....long and loses it's momentum.

well, you can TALK about soul baby, and you can even listen - but until you can PLAY james brown's sex machine with the break and all, the whah whah syncopation on shaft - and throw in the groove on the isley's that lady and work to do..... THEN you can tell me what soul is.....HA!
and disco is latin soul, so don't even go there ..

ER is not traditional soul, but it's GOT soul - and a funky bass line....wyman's finest work actually....

disco only sucked if you couldn't dance....

August 29th, 2005 04:54 PM
the good I agree that ER is Wyman's finest work. And not even the main riff- but during the rest of the song. That bass just makes you want to get laid.
August 29th, 2005 05:01 PM
Some Guy This club sux
August 29th, 2005 05:15 PM
lotsajizz 'Winning Ugly' is anthemic
August 29th, 2005 05:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
the good wrote:
I agree that ER is Wyman's finest work. And not even the main riff- but during the rest of the song. That bass just makes you want to get laid.

Ronnie Wood actually plays the bass on "Emotional rescue", not Bill.
August 29th, 2005 05:54 PM
the good
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Ronnie Wood actually plays the bass on "Emotional rescue", not Bill.

Get out! I never knew that. Wow. I always had respect for Woody, but he just went way up in my estimation.
August 29th, 2005 06:09 PM
sirmoonie The Eagles suck significantly. Get a club of people who despise the Eagles. Big motherfucking club. Not like this wee little ER club.
August 29th, 2005 06:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dear texile,

I was in a band called Sex Machine. We always opened with Sex Machine. I AM a Sex Machine.

What were you yapping about?

Oh yeah, latin soul. LOL!!! You are funny!

Disco sucks. Even after a 1/2 gram of blow up yer schnoz.

Oh yeah, and I can dance like a mofo. Even black girls like to dance with me.

You can yip and yap all you want. The fact remains that emotional rescue is a vapid piece of second rate disco trash. It is a silly, stupid song. It brings shame to the Rolling Stones back catalogue. It has cooties.

Now, if you are telling me that you like that kind of thing...I say more power to ya. It takes all kinds. But if you are going to try to convince me of the error of my ways by saying that something like emotional rescue is "funky" or has "soul"...well, then I have to call bullshit on it.

It is simple. White people cannot do funk or soul. At least not for real. We can try, but we tend to do a white people approximation of funk or soul. It's not the real thing. When white people try to play black music we get shit like "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry, or some crap by the likes of Rick Astley or Simply Red. Yeah, I'm sure there are some exceptions, there always are, but one thing is for sure...emotional rescue ain't one of those exceptions.

And ain't it funny how a post that I started as a joke now has 5 pages of replies.
August 29th, 2005 06:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
The Eagles suck significantly. Get a club of people who despise the Eagles. Big motherfucking club. Not like this wee little ER club.

Unless I've missed something over the last few years, I thought that Rocks Off already WAS by definition an anti-Eagles club
August 29th, 2005 06:35 PM
charlotte SS, you are a legend in your on time...I look forward in seeing you in the Hershey, PA rock n' roll hall of fame...
August 29th, 2005 06:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot >This club sux<

Then what are you doing here?

Charlotte! Are you going to the Hershey show? Cool!

FPM is hosting a party the night before, think you can make that too? You would be very welcome I'm sure.
August 29th, 2005 06:58 PM
texile yikes - a white band named sex machine PLAYING sex machine! lol....
but can you play the bassline to dance, dance, dance by chic?

a song can have soul as in....a groove - a feeling.....even john denver has "soul" in his annie songs;
as for humor - i have tongue firmly in place cos this whole thread is funny....
ER is sublime.....

and too bad about ronnie playing bass on ER - shit ...that was the nicest thing i've ever said about wyman and now i'm back to underestimating him;
but you're right GOOD - i love how the song picks up in the middle part and just starts to BOUNCE....i always wondered how wyman could have pulled it off, but now i love ronnie even more......
August 29th, 2005 06:59 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I am founding a new Rolling Stones club...The He-Man Emotional Rescue Hater's Club. The club membership is open to anyone man, woman, or beast, who hates ER with passion. It will be a refuge for those of us like minded souls who realize the insipidness of Emotional Rescue will eat away at the foundations that made the Rolling Stones the greatest rock and roll band on this or any other planet.

It will be our avowed mission to destroy all vestiges of the so called "song"....emotional rescue.

First order of business. From now on ER shall no longer be capitalized. It shall for now and evermore be in small case. emotional rescue. er.

Dude!!!
Put the pipe down and return to normal...
I love Stones FUNK!!!

August 29th, 2005 07:00 PM
texile wait a minute!
i'm listening to it now in my head....and it IS funky!
August 29th, 2005 07:06 PM
sirmoonie SS is right. White people are lame as all get out.
August 29th, 2005 07:14 PM
texile well that we can ALL agree on....except the stones that is.
August 29th, 2005 09:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot >a white band named sex machine PLAYING sex machine! lol....<

Yeah, and because we were white, and couldn't really play it right, we rocked it up. Yep. A garage version of Sex Machine. Oddly enough it was actually pretty good. But what can you do? We didn't have a horn section, and we knew we couldn't do a soul arrangement any justice. So instead of trying to fake it, and disrespect the song, we just did our own arrangement. And if you call your band Sex Machine...you HAVE to play it.

On a different tack, Ron Wood is a real good bass player. Always has been. Remember, he was Jeff Beck's bass player before he went to the Faces. You better be good if you are gonna play with Jeff Beck! Woody is a great musician. He gets slagged on by all the Taylorites, but Woody can fuckin' play. The Taylorites are just pissed that Lil' Mick T quit, so they all pick on Woody. Whatever. Woody is cool in my book. Even if he did play on er.
August 29th, 2005 09:43 PM
the good
quote:
texile wrote:
yikes - a white band named sex machine PLAYING sex machine! lol....
but can you play the bassline to dance, dance, dance by chic?

a song can have soul as in....a groove - a feeling.....even john denver has "soul" in his annie songs;
as for humor - i have tongue firmly in place cos this whole thread is funny....
ER is sublime.....

and too bad about ronnie playing bass on ER - shit ...that was the nicest thing i've ever said about wyman and now i'm back to underestimating him;
but you're right GOOD - i love how the song picks up in the middle part and just starts to BOUNCE....i always wondered how wyman could have pulled it off, but now i love ronnie even more......

Yeah, its amazing. There have been times where I have listened to ER like 5 times in a row and just been lost in the bass lines. It really is a thing of beauty. Hats off to Woody. I agree Sir Stones, he has always been a great player, and that just makes it even more of a shame that he was so bombed in the past that sometimes he just couldn't play. But when he's on, he can tear it up. He kicked ass at the VET during the licks tour.
August 29th, 2005 10:39 PM
Sir Stonesalot >He kicked ass at the VET during the licks tour.<

Yeah, I thought so too. He played a solo on the B stage about 3 inches from my nose. It was intense...and I couldn't even hear it!

But I heard it on the boot...and it was quite good. He played well that whole show. Musta been the cheese steaks.
August 30th, 2005 03:37 AM
ListenToTheLion Woody is a great musician. He gets slagged on by all the Taylorites, but Woody can fuckin' play. The Taylorites are just pissed that Lil' Mick T quit, so they all pick on Woody. Whatever. Woody is cool in my book. Even if he did play on er.

Bullshit. I like Wood better than Taylor that's to say Wood in the late seventies. But if you think Wood is still a great musician nowadays you have shit in your ears.
August 30th, 2005 05:48 AM
maumau i like ER a lot
August 30th, 2005 11:48 AM
texile i love taylor, but i love ronnie - i think he and jagger, more than keith, MADE some girls what is is - it is his crowning stones achievment.....
and yeah GOOD - that bassline is amazing - you notice how at the beginning of the song it has that strange, almost awkward, robotic rythym - and than when jagger drops to full voice it goes into this great groove.......than it goes back - and the coda picks the groove up to the fadeout...priceless!

well, sir that's right - a rocked out version IS better than a whited-out version.....but still - it's an almost jarring thought, unless you really ARE a sex machine...than at least it would have context.
August 30th, 2005 12:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot Jarring...yeah, that woulda been a good way to describe us. We were the house band at the nastiest dive bar in town. But that place was swanky compared to us. People thought that we were dangerous. We really were 24 hour party people.

The funny thing is that we were really good. But our front man died, and one of our guitar players went to law school. So that was that.
August 30th, 2005 12:58 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The funny thing is that we were really good. But our front man died, and one of our guitar players went to law school. So that was that.

and you went on to form The He-Man Emotional Rescue Hater's Club.
August 30th, 2005 01:59 PM
texile yeah sir, maybe you guys can play the rodeo circuit....lol;
August 30th, 2005 09:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot Piss off dickhead.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)