ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio José Alvalade XXI, Lisbon 25th June 2007
© GotToRollMe and Gazza
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Just bought The Biggest Bang @ Best Buy!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
16th June 2007 10:51 AM
guitarman53 I'm getting it after Holidays, but here is a link with a description of what's on it, at Best Buy Canada.http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFSM2135230&catid=20486
Best Buy Canada Web Store: Music, Movies, Games: Movies: Rolling Stones: Biggest Bang (4-Disc Set)
16th June 2007 11:32 AM
gimmekeef I cant stop laughing at Charlies antics during the Rio Meet & Greet.....
16th June 2007 11:20 PM
IanBillen
quote:
pdog wrote:

wtf did I say bad about the dvd?

Hey look, shut your mouth or I'll smack it.
I am trying to conduct my posting here. Don't ruin it.
It is MY TIME of the day to post, hence I can basically say anything I want about whomever.

Sit there and read. Shut your mouth and open your eyes and read my posts. That is all you have to do today. It is not that hard.

I give you breaks like this all the time pdog. That goes for SSA as well. All I do is give you two breaks. Now, sit there and read damn you. Damn you pdog. Fuckin read these fuckin posts man.

Ian
16th June 2007 11:23 PM
IanBillen
I came on this fucking board in a good fucking mood. Now, just ten fuckin minutes into my fuckin posting he has to try and fuck me on it.

Fuckin read my mutherfuckin posts you mutherfucker you.

Ian
17th June 2007 12:29 AM
mrhipfl that's not gonna look good when your employers research you, ya know...
17th June 2007 12:45 AM
Poplar
got it. have watched both "full" concert discs. pretty fucking good.

Austin: I'm with you SomeGuy. this show was shot better than anything i've ever seen from them, and the boys turned in a solid performance. She's So Cold was ass kicking. Would those of you claiming heavy overdubs please point to specific moments, cuase i didn't nottice all that much. i also noticed plenty of spots wehre Keith clearly (audio & video) messes up. The first half of the show is fucking great. ONNYA was even stellar. the rest of teh concert (2nd half) is status quo.

Rio is amazing just for the spectacle. And Keith plays his ass off. For anyone who loves YGMR (I sure as fuck do) it's just a blast watching Keith chop away on the tele. They were working that night... and hard.
17th June 2007 12:53 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Would those of you claiming heavy overdubs please point to specific moments, cuase i didn't nottice all that much.

I actually didn't hear any obvious overdubs on the guitars either but there are overdubs on the vocals. The most extreme case is satisfaction in Austin, where Mick has a growl throughout the song. Another obvious one is Mick's last note during YCAGWYW in Rio.

17th June 2007 01:06 AM
White House Lawn "Get Up, Stand Up" and "Mr. Pitiful" on DVD 4 was the best live Stones that I've heard in a few decades--both could have been on side 3 of LOVE YOU LIVE!

Seeing the guys dressed down in jeans and t-shirts was a nice break from the glitz, too!
17th June 2007 01:50 AM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Hey look, shut your mouth or I'll smack it.
I am trying to conduct my posting here. Don't ruin it.
It is MY TIME of the day to post, hence I can basically say anything I want about whomever.

Sit there and read. Shut your mouth and open your eyes and read my posts. That is all you have to do today. It is not that hard.

I give you breaks like this all the time pdog. That goes for SSA as well. All I do is give you two breaks. Now, sit there and read damn you. Damn you pdog. Fuckin read these fuckin posts man.

Ian

Are you are done jerking off in front of everyone?
I still want to know when I bad mouthed the DVD...
17th June 2007 02:11 AM
MrPleasant This thread is weird.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
17th June 2007 04:48 AM
IanBillen [quote]IanBillen wrote:

Alright-alright you didn't. I was being silly. Sorry about that. Sorry about the cheap joke. I am still concentrating on your posts from The White Stripes truthfully which has some insightful content.

So now that you mention it. Honestly How do you rate the DVD set?

Ian
17th June 2007 04:54 AM
IanBillen [quote]IanBillen wrote:
[quote]IanBillen wrote:

Alright-alright you didn't. I was being silly. Sorry about that. Sorry about the cheap joke. I am still concentrating on your posts from The White Stripes truthfully which has some insightful content.

So now that you mention it and you realize I was being silly and not trying to offend you honestly, how do you rate the DVD set? Did you see it?

Ian

17th June 2007 07:10 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Austin: I'm with you SomeGuy. this show was shot better than anything i've ever seen from them, and the boys turned in a solid performance. She's So Cold was ass kicking. Would those of you claiming heavy overdubs please point to specific moments, cuase i didn't nottice all that much. i also noticed plenty of spots wehre Keith clearly (audio & video) messes up. The first half of the show is fucking great. ONNYA was even stellar. the rest of teh concert (2nd half) is status quo.

If you'd read the posts you'd see that the overdubbing complaints start in the second half--the 'status quo' ...from b-stage on....indeed I defy anyone to tell me what about the 'Under My Thumb' is NOT an overdub!!

17th June 2007 07:34 AM
Some Guy I'm saving disc 4 for a later date.

what's an overdub?
17th June 2007 08:08 AM
maumau
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Got my copy Tuesday.

Haven't opened it yet.

Don't know if I'll even bother. Saw Rio live(at least they said it was live)in a movie theatre, don't really need to see that again. Maybe I'll watch the doco one of these days...not even vaguely interested in the duets. If Austin is all Flashpointed, I don't see the point in watching it either. The Phoenix footage will just make me pissed off that they didn't release the whole show on disc 5.

Eh, I've wasted $30.00 on stupider stuff.

would you just open it burn a copy and send them to me?
17th June 2007 08:38 AM
full moon Fucking Mother fuckers, fuck this fuck that . fuck fuck fuck.Happy now mad as hell.. wwoohooo...lolololo
17th June 2007 08:43 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I'm saving disc 4 for a later date.

what's an overdub?

It's kind of like White-Out for music and film. You can correct mistakes in a studio.
17th June 2007 09:24 AM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Poplar wrote:
Would those of you claiming heavy overdubs please point to specific moments, cuase i didn't nottice all that much.

One that's very obvious is when the b-stage is moving during UMT.
There's a shot where neither Ronnie nor Keef are actually touching their guitar strings - Ronnie's waving, and Keef's in mid-slash - yet both guitars are still clanging along...
17th June 2007 01:46 PM
east_river_trucker
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I don't slam them just to do it. I rarely slam them any way.

Isn't this is a fan site for hardcore fans? where knowledgable fans can have an honest discussion of the band among themselves? Warts and all? You won't see me on Amazon giving bad revues to the general public just to mock the Stones as is popular now days. But there is some satisfaction to be gotten (pun intended) in discussing honestly with other knowledgeable fans the latest RS product without simply saying wow its the greatest thing they ever done.
[Edited by east_river_trucker]
17th June 2007 01:56 PM
east_river_trucker
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Yup....I'd rather listen to the boots from that tour...warts and all, at least they're REAL

You really prefer the boot Liver Than You'll Ever be? to Ya Yas??????
17th June 2007 05:07 PM
lotsajizz and Baltimore '69 too.....the Forum show also....I despise fakery...someone said 'this is the Stones on steroids', well, I despise Barry Bonds too

and Sosa and Giambi and Palmiero

OK now

Cazart!!!!!!1
18th June 2007 02:11 AM
Rizollin I fucking blew my speakers watching the beginning of Rio! I'm serious! Funny thing is, any movies I watch seem to be fine or almost fine with the speakers. But if I play any of the Bang discs there's huge distortion and breakup. Can't understand it, think I'm going batshit. Maybe it's this semi-bender I'm on...
18th June 2007 05:28 AM
lotsajizz I just watched Argentina last night

WOW

great crowd, maybe the best I've ever seen

it got the band pumped and they sounded super

and no overdubbing detected thereon!
18th June 2007 12:04 PM
Martha
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I'm saving disc 4 for a later date.

what's an overdub?

Hey Some Guy! Disc 4 is IMHO worth the price of the entire 4 DVD set. I am THRILLED with what' we've watched so far. Chris couldn't take his eyes of the TV. SS....watch this fucker ASAP! It's great.

Overdub hub-bub. Someone else will have to tackle that piece.

xxoo,
Martha

Let's ROCK!
18th June 2007 12:37 PM
PartyDoll MEG Have watched Disc 3 and 4. IMHO, Little Cohl has done a great job with this production... and yes, Argentina was awesome!!
18th June 2007 01:45 PM
Martha
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Have watched Disc 3 and 4. IMHO, Little Cohl has done a great job with this production... and yes, Argentina was awesome!!

Oh yeah, a medical question for you Sister Meg....WTF are those Argentinian people ON?!?! The energy coming out of them is supernatural. Holy shit!
19th June 2007 12:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot >The energy coming out of them is supernatural. Holy shit!<

It's simple editing trickery. They dropped in a shot of a small segment of the crowd doing the pogo...and then speeded it up to make it look like insanity. I'm not 100% sure...but it looks like they use the same shot several times.

>If it is not Exile on Main Street you two will complain that it sucks. No matter what they do or put out anymore it is never good enough.<

>What do they have to do for you or pdog to not whine, complain, or downgrade it's quality?<

Firstly...I*like pretty much every Stones record, overall, except for Emotional Rescue, Steel Wheels, and ABB. ER because it was when the cocaine stopped working for them and started working against them. Self-indulgent dance crap. Steel Wheels was so slick that it seems to be made of teflon. It's also dead boring. I don't like ABB because it isn't Rock n Roll...not according to what my idea of Rock n Roll is anyhow. ABB is commercial radio muzak. I hate shit that sounds like that....no fucking balls at all.

So what do they have to do to keep me from kicking them in the butt? Well, that's easy.

I'd like to see something that resembles EFFORT on their part. I don't care if they fuck up and hit some bum notes, But I do expect The Rolling Stones to look like they are trying to be good. I don't mean posing and waving and all that stupid shit. I want to see them with sweat running down their foreheads, I wanna see some soaked shirts, I wanna see some faces that look like they are straining a little. Anything...ANYTHING that makes it look like they are on anything other than auto-pilot.

I'd like to see The Rolling Stones get back to playing Rock n Roll music, and stop turning all those great songs into Vegas Revue numbers.

I'd like to see The Rolling Stones actually write some kick your ass Rock n Roll again. They had a chance with ABB, and they took the easy, paint-by-numbers path that led to the ballsless crap that they put out.

I would like to see The Rolling Stones pretend to act like they care about what they are doing. They let Cohl & Rolling Stones Inc run the show. There should be no way that some dude like Paolo Nutini or whatever his name is...should share a stage with the Rolling Stones. He hasn't earned that honor yet. Same way with Timberlake. Hmmm...let's see, we got Angus & Malcolm or Justin Timberlake to choose from. We already have a number worked up with Angus & Malcolm that rocks balls...so let's pick Justin. He just dumped Brittany you know...let's bring him out and maybe the kids will like it. NO!!!! Fucking ROCK instead! Why the fuck didn't someone say NO to that? This just goes to show how very little they care anymore.

I would like to see The Rolling Stones not blandly accepting that they are now a Nostalgia act. Again, they had a chance to show the world that they are the real deal on ABB. And instead they toss off a rushed, incomplete sounding, pile of commercial radio ready drivel. Great for use in TV ads. Useless in a Rock n Roll playlist.

I would like to see a little consistency. They need to make Ron & Keith show up to fucking play EVERY night. No more nights off. When those guys decide to get their back up and play...they STILL blow EVERYONE out of the water. The problem is that they only decide to do that once or twice a month. Do it every night for an entire tour, and I'll be happy. again...I'm not talking about a few bum notes here abd there...I'm talking about the big stuff...like remembering how to play the intro right...or remembering your cues...you know, the basic stuff that any professional musician is expected to do on a nightly basis. I expect no less from The Rolling Stones. And since they are the greatest band in the world...it shouldn't be very difficult for them to do, right?

I would like the Stones to at least fake being even slightly enthusiastic about touring. They look bored, and they look like they can't wait to get the show over.

But out of all of that stuff, I really just want them to start playing Rock n Roll music again. If they start doing that I'll be happy.

So...since it seems so important to some people that they have concocted theories about it...why do I bitch?

That's easy enough to answer. Simple. Because I can. I firmly believe in balance. The entire universe depends on balance. Nothing can be good or right, unless it is balanced. This board would suffer from the same things that all those other Stones boards suffer from, if it wouldn't be for people like myself and Pdog and Jizzy. We are fans, but we are not asskissers and sycophants. I am a fan, but I am not a fanboy. I love this band enough to tell them what I see is wrong. In fact, I see it as a sacred duty. The Stones have millions upon millions of people telling them how great they are. Any knucklehead can do that. I like them enough to stay objective and tell them how they can make things better. I mean, we can all, Stones included, always improve. I'm trying, in my own way, to help. If that bothers you, then kindly fuck off, because I don't really give a shit. I speak the truth, as I see & hear it. I don't just make stuff up to be contrary....although I could certainly do that.

I say the things I say because they need to be said by someone. yes, i know facing the truth of matters can be difficult and uncomfortable for some people. Especially the Rah Rah Cheerleader types(for the record, I like the Cheerleaders, remember...balance). But those people need to face the truth too. They need to get prepared mentally for what is surely coming...sooner than later. This band is going to end, the signs are all over the place. My hope is that they go out like the lions that they are. My gut tells me that isn't going to happen. My gut is saying that things are not gonna be pretty. We should all prepare for that. Losing our band is going to be painful. But if we start preparing ourselves now, perhaps it won't be so gloomy at the end.

A buddy of mine wanted to watch some of the DVD. So we did.

I thought it LOOKED fantastic. Very well shot. Decent editing...although that could have been done better. With better editing the glaring overdubs would not be quite so glaringly obvious. I was suprised by the amount of overdubbing the Copacabana gig. I watched it "live" via satellite feed in a movie theatre...and I thought it was a pretty good show. Evidently, someone at Stones Inc. didn't think so. The second half of the Austin show is so overdubbed that it was distracting. It couldn't have been that bad that they needed all that overdubbing? WTF?

We watched the duets. The best was the one with the Chinese guy...at least that was funny. The rest of them...ugh. Even Eddie Vedder looked like he thought it was a bad idea to be out there. Don't duet a song that isn't intended to be a duet. It never works. Duet a song that has a duet part in it....and if you don't have any of those...don't duet at all.

We didn't have time to watch the doco...I'll try to watch that before the weekend. So just based on the look of the thing it gets an A. The glaring overdubs drops it a full grade point to a B. The duet with the Chinese dude brings it up to a B+. The duet with Dave Matthews(again? Isn't he on another Stones DVD...doing the same damn song? WTF?) drops it back to a B-. The sound shut down my buddy's surround system, so that raises it up to an A-. No clear titty shots drops it back down to a B+...(they coulda done it too...they had the camera dead on her...but they used a side shot so she was obscured...bogus...she got 'em out in a public place...she knew the cameras were on...we KNOW they got the shot...USE IT!). Band performance and song selection(do we really need three versions of Satisfaction?)drop the grade down to C+. The inclusion of a rehearsal version of "I Can't Be Satisfied" brings the grade back up to an A-. The footage from The Phoenix in Toronto brings the grade back up to A+. Not including the entire show from The Phoenix drops the grade back to a B+.

So that is where it stands now...B+. If the doco is as good as everyone keeps saying it is, a grade of A+ is entirely attainable. I'm glad that my buddy wanted to watch it. It was well worth spending a few hours going over it.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
19th June 2007 01:21 PM
Poplar
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
One that's very obvious is when the b-stage is moving during UMT.
There's a shot where neither Ronnie nor Keef are actually touching their guitar strings - Ronnie's waving, and Keef's in mid-slash - yet both guitars are still clanging along...

couldn't that just be a bad video cover (leaving the natural audio and putting a bad "wide shot" video layover, thus making it sound like an overdub when it's actually the video that is off? i don't know ... just raising other possibilities.
19th June 2007 01:37 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Poplar wrote:

couldn't that just be a bad video cover (leaving the natural audio and putting a bad "wide shot" video layover, thus making it sound like an overdub when it's actually the video that is off? i don't know ... just raising other possibilities.

There's one even more glaring in either HTW or SMU. Can't remember which right now ... Keith stops playing and starts mugging with someone in the audience, but the audio has him playing for a good couple of seconds. Unlikely it's some kind of video synch issue...
19th June 2007 01:46 PM
Paul_McCartney Personally, I believe Mick and the Stones have always been jealous of my live performances. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why my tours have been grossing so much lately. I have a connection with the crowd that they lack, precisely due to the things SirStonesalot brings up.

For some good live Macca, please check out my two disc set, "Back in the US" (2002 tour).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)