ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio José Alvalade XXI, Lisbon 25th June 2007
© GotToRollMe and Gazza
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Just bought The Biggest Bang @ Best Buy!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
13th June 2007 06:42 PM
east_river_trucker
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
for those who've seen it...

which of the 3 versions of Satisfaction would you rank the best?

Somebody had to be the wise guy.

Although I will admit the first thing I did when I opened the package was pull out the booklet and count the number of times Miss You appeared.
13th June 2007 06:52 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i hope to be buying my copy next tuesday...please don't tell me any more about it.

thank you

Have you given any thought to skipping the thread entitled "Just bought The Biggest Bang @ Best Buy!!!"?

Y'know, this one?

Haven't picked up my copy yet either, but I'm really looking forward to watching the Austin show.

Speaking of, Scorsese was reported to have filmed that show.
Is he credited on the DVD?
13th June 2007 06:56 PM
throbby I don't think Martin had anything at all to do with filming the Austin show. Some guy in a t-shirt in a control room cracking the whip on his camera people.
13th June 2007 06:58 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Martha wrote:

Egads! Mine ain't here either gimmekeef....I believe we'll need to be sedated until Best Buy gets the shit they SOLD us into our streched-out hands.

Jonesin' is not becoming of me.....

but I cannot stop now.

Hang tough.

xxoo,
Martha

Martha..mine came in mail Thursday...its getting some play time tonight...heres hopin yours arrived now too my friend!
13th June 2007 08:08 PM
Mel Belli Watching it now, finally. So far, the Austin show is pretty kick-ass. No glaring overdubs. Just the opposite, in fact. You can clearly see and hear "Sway" almost fall apart at the seams before they recover ...
13th June 2007 08:18 PM
Mel Belli First time I've heard "Learning the Game" all the way through. It might just be the best thing I've heard from Keith since "How Can I Stop." (Admittedly, there's not much, quantity-wise, to choose from in that interval.) An entire album of well-chosen covers like that would be a knockout.
13th June 2007 08:34 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Watching it now, finally. So far, the Austin show is pretty kick-ass. No glaring overdubs. Just the opposite, in fact. You can clearly see and hear "Sway" almost fall apart at the seams before they recover ...

watch the b-stage...any resemblance between the UMT they played and the UMT you hear on the disk is purely coincidental.....it's like baseball players on steroids--it's cheating and I hate cheating

13th June 2007 08:37 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

watch the b-stage...any resemblance between the UMT they played and the UMT you hear on the disk is purely coincidental.....it's like baseball players on steroids--it's cheating and I hate cheating

I don't doubt you. But there are so many clammy moments of the show that didn't get the white-out treatment. Maybe it just wasn't a very good show, overall.
13th June 2007 09:03 PM
Mel Belli Great scene in the Rio documentary: Keith backstage, apparently alone, with beer, white wine *and* a Nuclear Waste.
13th June 2007 09:12 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I don't doubt you. But there are so many clammy moments of the show that didn't get the white-out treatment. Maybe it just wasn't a very good show, overall.

Bingo---what I see and hear of it is quite good...the Bob Willis cover is sweet, the Buddy Holly cover is well done by Keith......'Get Off of My Cloud' and 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' are simply awesome.....I would love to have been there!
13th June 2007 10:06 PM
pdog
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Bingo---what I see and hear of it is quite good...the Bob Willis cover is sweet, the Buddy Holly cover is well done by Keith......'Get Off of My Cloud' and 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' are simply awesome.....I would love to have been there!

My daughters mother was there, she loved it, her first Stones gig. She come fron TX to see The Police in Oakland tonight with two old high school pals... They saw them back in the day or something...silly girls...
13th June 2007 10:40 PM
iluvmickjagger07 i actually did get it today. the mail was late.
i just saw austin and it was great especially the sound.
they briefly recorded my sign right before "brown sugar" but u cant see my face just my head and headband.
13th June 2007 10:42 PM
Mel Belli The footage from the Phoenix is outstanding: gritty, stripped-down, energetic, loose, well-played. I wish they'd just released that entire show ...
13th June 2007 10:45 PM
iluvmickjagger07 but i am pretty sad about one thing.
during under my thumb they didnt record mick when he was reading my sign and gave me a smile. instead they did a far shot of the entire park. they did that way too much.
ive been looking so forward to watch that great moment.
theyre are 72 shots of the austin show on youtube and not one of them captured that moment.
13th June 2007 10:48 PM
pdog
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
but i am pretty sad about one thing.
during under my thumb they didnt record mick when he was reading my sign and gave me a smile. instead they did a far shot of the entire park. they did that way too much.
ive been looking so forward to watch that great moment.
theyre are 72 shots of the austin show on youtube and not one of them captured that moment.

It was your moment, and you shared it with us, that goes a long way... too bad it isn't on film...
14th June 2007 01:19 AM
mrhipfl Dammit, the end of the documentary made me cry.
14th June 2007 01:29 PM
mmdog
I love the soundtrack to the documentary. Send It To Me, Sister Morphine, Fingerprint File and Salt Of The Earth were used really well.
14th June 2007 01:48 PM
MidnightRambler Just realizing now that the overdubs and sound issues on Austin is no big deal...look at the sound at Live at the Max from '89...the sound on there is great..but you can see that there are moments that the sound and footage don't add up...Mick's vocals at times are not insynch...Keith and Ronnie's guitars are at times off...Charlie during a song hits the symbol and no sound comes out...then later you hear a symbol crash and you see that he hasn't touched it.

No fuckin difference here in Austin. But, guitars and drums don't show any sigs of inconsistentcy like described above. Mick's vocals during the last 2 songs are the only issues. Yet, everyone looooved "live at the max." If you can love that...you most certainly should be able to watch this. To watch this show and not get at all into it--is a strong sign that you are a sour bastard or in need of an erectile dysfunction check at the doctor's.
[Edited by MidnightRambler]
14th June 2007 01:54 PM
Dan Not denying there are overdubs on At The Max but with that one I think it's because both the footage and the audio is taken from so many different shows that I don't think they match either.
14th June 2007 02:00 PM
Angiegirl Sooooooooooo....

Where's the torrent for us non-American suckers who can't join in on all the fun 'n games????
14th June 2007 02:14 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
Just realizing now that the overdubs and sound issues on Austin is no big deal...look at the sound at Live at the Max from '89...the sound on there is great..but you can see that there are moments that the sound and footage don't add up...Mick's vocals at times are not insynch...Keith and Ronnie's guitars are at times off...Charlie during a song hits the symbol and no sound comes out...then later you hear a symbol crash and you see that he hasn't touched it.

No fuckin difference here in Austin. But, guitars and drums don't show any sigs of inconsistentcy like described above. Mick's vocals during the last 2 songs are the only issues. Yet, everyone looooved "live at the max." If you can love that...you most certainly should be able to watch this. To watch this show and not get at all into it--is a strong sign that you are a sour bastard or in need of an erectile dysfunction check at the doctor's.

The huge difference, actually, is the IMAX technology they used for "At the Max." Because, at that time, IMAX cameras were so bulky and unwieldy, and their film-runs so short, the band had to to literally reshoot portions of the film as though they were MTV videos -- lip-syncing, guitar posing, and all.

That was a pretty reasonable creative compromise then, considering the kind of cutting-edge spectacle that IMAX was in 1990. (It has only recently come back into vogue, thanks to the director James Cameron.)
14th June 2007 02:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

The huge difference, actually, is the IMAX technology they used for "At the Max." Because, at that time, IMAX cameras were so bulky and unwieldy, and their film-runs so short, the band had to to literally reshoot portions of the film as though they were MTV videos -- lip-syncing, guitar posing, and all.

That was a pretty reasonable creative compromise then, considering the kind of cutting-edge spectacle that IMAX was in 1990. (It has only recently come back into vogue, thanks to the director James Cameron.)

I loved James Cameron's work with Aquaman
[Edited by voodoopug]
14th June 2007 02:39 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
Just realizing now that the overdubs and sound issues on Austin is no big deal...look at the sound at Live at the Max from '89...

It is a huge deal. The number of overdubs is on a factor of ten to twenty times more on the Austin show's second half. If they can't get by without presenting by what all accounts was a pretty darn good show in its honest form, well, I'm done buying their "live" product.....if I want overdubs, I'll wait 'till they put out another studio product....

14th June 2007 02:51 PM
MidnightRambler
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

It is a huge deal. The number of overdubs is on a factor of ten to twenty times more on the Austin show's second half. If they can't get by without presenting by what all accounts was a pretty darn good show in its honest form, well, I'm done buying their "live" product.....if I want overdubs, I'll wait 'till they put out another studio product....

In my opinion, the Austin show better represents its performance than Live at the Max does, even keeping in mind the reasons stated by Melli above regarding the circumstances that led to the overdubbing and mixing for the Max.

The Austin show, in my eyes, has a passing grade. It's a Stones show with steroids...the hormones that they've lacked for a couple years now. I'm not 100% behind it..but I accept the decision to beef it up a bit. To me, Live at the Max, at moments is difficult to watch...sounds like audio from one show and footage from another. Very distracting and sounds very unnatural. Austin blatantly fails in two songs: "Satisafaction" and "Brown Sugar" in Mick's vocals, and only his vocals. The guitars are just as great as they are during the rest of the show. Yes, I wish they would've given it less Hollywood magic, but there are 3 other disks in the set that don't have a spot of touch-up work done on them.
14th June 2007 03:07 PM
charlotte angie, darling, it's going to take a lot for me to allow the torrent on the Tracker...hmmmmmmmm...give me a few weeks....ok, I got it...try talking dirty sex in dutch...yeah, that might do it...
14th June 2007 03:16 PM
Martha
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Martha..mine came in mail Thursday...its getting some play time tonight...heres hopin yours arrived now too my friend!

Hi sweetie...mine ARRIVED by mail ( or donkey) this morning!!!

Thankfully I am no longer in need of complete sedation...just partial.LOL

Glad to hear you have your's also. ;-)

Peace to you.

hugs and kisses,
Martha
14th June 2007 03:21 PM
Martha
quote:
pdog wrote:

My daughters mother was there, she loved it, her first Stones gig. She come fron TX to see The Police in Oakland tonight with two old high school pals... They saw them back in the day or something...silly girls...

Ahhh yes, I was a silly girl back then too...and pdog, they should get a decent show tonight.

Their second Denver show Sunday was pretty solid and better than night 1 ( we were told about night 1 from people who saw both shows we only attended night 2).

I hope so with those tickie prices. ;-)

Sting Me Ronnie! LOL

peace out,
MM
14th June 2007 05:51 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
charlotte wrote:
angie, darling, it's going to take a lot for me to allow the torrent on the Tracker...hmmmmmmmm...give me a few weeks....ok, I got it...try talking dirty sex in dutch...yeah, that might do it...

Lol, I was just kiddin'. I can wait a few months for the box.
14th June 2007 05:54 PM
pdog Got my copy today for $25.
a guy with a gift card balance offered to buy it and save me the $5. plus $2.55 tax. I couldn't say no... He complimented me on my tata and Raiders shirt and he had a pregnant lady with him. It is somewhere between 80 and 90 degrees in SF today, depending on where you are... The heat makes me very cranky...
14th June 2007 05:57 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
The heat makes me very cranky...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)