ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Recording "I Wanna Be Your Man" - De Lane Lee Studios, London 7th October 1963
© Gus Coral
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NFL (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
01-15-04 07:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Bono a No-go For Super Bowl

By Sarah Hall

The NFL still hasn't found what it's looking for--it just doesn't want Bono.

The U2 frontman's offer to perform a duet with Jennifer Lopez during the Super Bowl halftime show was rejected by the organization.

Bono had hoped to perform his new song, "An American Prayer," which he had planned to use as pitch to attract attention to the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

MTV, which is producing the program, signed off on the performance, but the NFL flinched at the subject matter.

A spokesman for the NFL indicated that the organization didn't find Bono's message in keeping with the atmosphere it sought for the Super Bowl.

"We simply decided that we were going to deliver, as we do annually, an extremely entertaining halftime show," the spokesman told the New York Daily News. "We don't believe it's appropriate to focus on a single issue."

So far, Janet Jackson is the only performer confirmed for the halftime show. Beyoncée will perform the national anthem before the game, which will be played February 1 in her hometown of Houston.

No word on how the musician responded to the NFL's snub; however if his reaction was colorful and involved four-letter words, he better hope there weren't any cameras around.

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell (news) has asked his fellow commissioners to overturn a much-criticized decision that a certain f-word used by Bono at last year's Golden Globes was not obscene.

"This is really, really, f---ing brilliant," the musician remarked onstage during the broadcast of the award show. Oops.

However, the FCC 's enforcement bureau ruled in October that Bono's dropping of the f-bomb was not indecent or obscene, because he used it as an adjective as opposed to using to describe a sexual act.

"The performer used the word...as an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation," the bureau said.

Powell apparently disagrees with his minions. The chairman is also seeking a tenfold increase in the amount of fines the FCC can seek from broadcasters that violate the profanity code.

Powell believes the current maximum fine of $27,500 is not enough to intimidate broadcasters into keeping their shticks free from the dreaded pottymouth.

"Some of these fines are peanuts," Powell told a National Press Club luncheon. "They're just a cost of doing business. That has to change."
01-15-04 08:18 AM
Some Guy F@CK BONO!!
01-15-04 08:22 AM
nankerphelge Yeah -- glad the NFL passed on the idea.

Maybe Ted Nugent is available -- I'd love to see him in his loincloth, doing a sweet duet with J.Lo!!

01-15-04 08:24 AM
Some Guy Now that would be entertainment
01-15-04 11:23 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The TV was saying that J-LO has been spotted out with some other dude besides Affleck. I wonder who it is.
01-15-04 11:34 AM
Nellcote If memory serves me correctly, does'nt SS have a "soft spot" for Bono? SS, could'nt you deal with the NFL to get Mr. Live Aid in the gig?
01-15-04 11:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, does'nt SS have a "soft spot" for Bono? SS, could'nt you deal with the NFL to get Mr. Live Aid in the gig?

LOL. Yeah maybe he does? At any rate, as long as the Pat's make it to the SuperBowl and win is all I care about. I wouldn't mind being able to crow for the next year.
01-15-04 01:03 PM
mac_daddy bono is a putz, no doubt. and he has made it damn near impossible forme to listen to the band's quality early work anymore because I just keep visualizing him in one of his Jesus-like poses...

but he and j-lo are not worse than brittany and aerosmith (and that band really does suck, and they pretty much always have - talk about half baked imitators)...

who the hell watches the halftime show, anyway? I was in NOLA when U2 did heir encore set, and I barely stuck around to watch that (beer lines were shorter then) - the flag in the jacket and the wall of names were nice touches, though...
01-15-04 01:05 PM
glencar It was one of the finest moments from TV since the tragic events. Bono's a putz but he can still sing. He just shouldn't preach.
01-15-04 01:17 PM
Joey

U2 and THE WHO are both touring the states this year .

Stones next year ?!?!
01-15-04 01:18 PM
glencar Another fucking Who reunion??? WTF??????????????????????????
01-15-04 01:19 PM
Joey " Another fucking Who reunion??? WTF?????????????????????????? "

BEST WHO YET !!!!
01-15-04 02:53 PM
Nellcote Joey, will Pete Townsend sing Bo Diddley's hit
"Diddley Daddy"? Sorry, I could not resist...
Oh, yeah, I forgot, it was only research.
01-15-04 03:03 PM
glencar LOL Yeah, only research. What a sick fuck!

BTW I'm riffing on that "Curb Your Enthusiasm" show. That show in one episode is better than a whole Who tour.
01-15-04 03:53 PM
Joey

And to think I was seriously thinking about letting all of you " Touch My Monkey ! "

Ohhhhhhh , but NOT NOW !!!!!

Are you ready ?!?!?! Well , here it comes :

NINEA ABS SHAE MONKEE !!!!!!

Now , GO !

FLY !!!!!!

SPREAD IT !!!!!!!!!

NINEA !
01-15-04 04:03 PM
Mr. D Townshend is a pervert-this is the same guy that sings "Rough Boys".
01-15-04 04:14 PM
glencar When all he really want was soft young boys. Joey, you should stick with the Dan. At least their guy is into little girls.
01-15-04 04:18 PM
Joey " When all he really want was soft young boys. Joey, you should stick with the Dan. At least their guy is into little girls. "

http://www.steelydan.com/emgband.html

01-15-04 07:40 PM
Some Guy ESPN is talking trash about the Eagles. FU,ESPN.
01-15-04 09:30 PM
parmeda Don't fret ESPN, Some Guy...'cause when it's all said and done, them Eagles are gonna fly!
01-15-04 11:42 PM
Some Guy WORD!
01-16-04 11:48 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Don't fret ESPN, Some Guy...'cause when it's all said and done, them Eagles are gonna fly!

they are gonna have to get by Carolina, and that is NOT going to be as easy as everyone thinks...

if the Eagles look past this one, they will be watching the Super Bowl from home...

hey, but if you all want to discount my Pats this year, be my guest. Ask the Rams how well that strategy worked...
01-16-04 12:55 PM
Joey " Townshend is a ********** -this is the same guy that sings "Rough Boys". "

For Bob :

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/bios/Townshend.shtml

Jacky !
01-16-04 01:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
"Rough Boys". "

Yeah, we're all singing the Patriots Cakewalk up here. Life is Good.
01-16-04 03:27 PM
mac_daddy so what is Randy Moss doing with his off-time..?

01-16-04 04:47 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yeah, we're all singing the Patriots Cakewalk up here. Life is Good.

Two words:
Peyton Friggen Manning
01-16-04 04:49 PM
Joey

My Boss Carly is a Blow Monkey .............................................and yours ?

Jercee
01-16-04 05:00 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Joey wrote:

My Boss Carly is a Blow Monkey .............................................and yours ?

Jercee

in a way, I guess he is everybody's boss...

http://www.geocities.com/disturbing_universe/funny/bush.jpg

[Edited by mac_daddy]
01-17-04 12:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Two words:
Peyton Friggen Manning

He's on a roll for sure. But the Pats defense will shut him down in what, about 24 hours from now. The weather still looks okay, so it ought to be a fun day tomorrow.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
01-17-04 04:53 PM
Some Guy Dude, I'm busting, busting I tell ya!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

BEST VIEWED HIGH