ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 9 earthquake/tsunami Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
December 31st, 2004 08:02 PM
Rolling Hansie

December 31st, 2004 08:25 PM
kath thanks hansie...just made my donation...my gawd...the enormity of this thing....it's just mind-boggling!!!
December 31st, 2004 10:52 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

God has nothing to do with anything, it's an act of nature, stick to the facts here.

Where have you been all my life? The well-spring of knowlege. Impart thy wisdom on thy humble servant Oh! High One. Jesus! Some people really don't read the posts properly do they?
December 31st, 2004 11:00 PM
kath well, right now it's about what to do for all those poor people.....and try to get a little humble. mother nature or gawd or whoever can crush us like bugs....we are guests here on this planet....

those pictures of those people..the villages are just gone...and so many people missing....
December 31st, 2004 11:07 PM
gypsymofo60 Guests, exactly. Once you embrace the shadow of death and smile in his/her face, you shall live life trully. One day at a time. From some wise sage.....People die everyday. We're all gonna die.
January 1st, 2005 01:16 PM
Rolling Hansie
quote:
kath wrote:
well, right now it's about what to do for all those poor people.....

Very right Kath. And all we can do is send some money.
January 1st, 2005 02:35 PM
glencar I can't hack UNICEF. All that money from the UN goes into that Annan kid's pockets. Besides what's best is to buy Made In Thailand/India/Sri Lanka/Indonesia stuff. Those economies will be hurting & support them instead of the Chinese.
January 1st, 2005 02:49 PM
kath if you go to "google", on their homepage is a link to a BUNCH of organizations sending aid to the tsunami victims. there's even a "jew" one!!!

i'm just reading on ABC news.com now that rains have started in sri lanka and there is massive flooding.....

unbelievable. the gawds are angry.
January 1st, 2005 03:02 PM
glencar I ain't a jew!
January 1st, 2005 03:11 PM
kath now now...i was just mentioning for those amongst us who may be......
January 1st, 2005 04:04 PM
Factory Girl Glencar, if Bush was to cancel Inaug. & send Inauguration funds to the victims-it would: 1) help the victims; and 2) send a message to ROW that "US under W" is a responsible superpower/player in the int'l arena. I think cancelling Inaug/donating funds to Asia would greatly improve the way US is currently perceived in ROW.

Of course, I know that W and Co. lack such global introspection.
January 1st, 2005 04:58 PM
glencar I lack it too, FG. The US Gov. is sending $350M so far. The Inauguration finds (most of which are privately raised) are about $40M. If this was Clinton III, I'm sure tehre'd be no talk of canceling anything. Saint Hillary(sic) wouldn't allow it.
January 1st, 2005 05:41 PM
telecaster
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Glencar, if Bush was to cancel Inaug. & send Inauguration funds to the victims-it would: 1) help the victims; and 2) send a message to ROW that "US under W" is a responsible superpower/player in the int'l arena. I think cancelling Inaug/donating funds to Asia would greatly improve the way US is currently perceived in ROW.

Of course, I know that W and Co. lack such global introspection.

FG you have great compassion and a huge heart and I admire your for that

The last thing that is needed right now is money

The one thing that is needed right now is helicopters

There are 7,000 island in Indonesia all which have victims/survivors on them and no ports or airports.
The US is the only, and I mean only country that has aircraft carriers which can carry 40 plus helicopters each and which are landing as I type with aid on these islands

All the goodwill is sitting in hangers right now

Bottlenecked

If you can't distribute it it doesn't do anybody any good

You could send a trillion dollars right now and it won't do anybody any good except make the donor feel better

There is no way to get the aid to these people without
helicopters and there is no Navy in the world that has
ships that can carry/move helicopters on this level besides the US

I think W. has figured that out and does not lack that "global introspection" as you say

January 1st, 2005 05:49 PM
glencar "You could send a trillion dollars right now and it won't do anybody any good except make the donor feel better."

I haven't given any money yet & I don't feel bad about that. I have given someone who really needs it a generous gift of money to help their family through tough times. I don't do it because it makes me feel better; I do it because otherwise the family could break up. Earlier in this thread, a Swede posted something about how he would donate to a certain charity even if they weren't very efficient because it would make him "feel good." Is that what charity is all about? Is it doing the right thing or is it about making me feel all better inside?
January 1st, 2005 10:02 PM
kath there are some wonderful pics on sdb of the equipment the US is sending in...all shiney and bright.

PLEASE don't make this a political issue or a charity vs charity.

jeeezuz..just look at the footage..and multiply that by millions...the widespread devastation...it's affected 12 countries! the clean up and humanitarian aid needs are gonna be mind-boggling....not to mention the re-building....

January 2nd, 2005 03:59 AM
Rolling Hansie
quote:
kath wrote:
PLEASE don't make this a political issue or a charity vs charity.

Right again Kath. There are millions of people overthere who lost completely everything. They need our help. And that help costs money. Simple as that. If somebody doesn't want to donate money, for whatever reason, well ... just don't.

January 3rd, 2005 09:46 AM
Factory Girl This is a global issue, and by default it is a int'l political/economic issue. Nations will have to put their differences aside to make aid traficking effective.

Tele- yes, lack of infrastracture is a huge problem.

Glenny- I'm not a fan of Clinton. I can't speculate on what he would have done in this situation. I can only comment on W. This is not a Reps. vs. Dems. issue. As I said above, this is a global/int'l issue.
January 3rd, 2005 04:26 PM
glencar Actually, FG, President Bush has appointed Clintoon to head a commission to raise funds for the tsunami victims. Very astute post about how this IS a political issue to some extent.
January 3rd, 2005 04:55 PM
glencar http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2329&u=/afp/20050103/ennew_afp/asiaquakeusaid_050103175950&printer=1
January 3rd, 2005 05:32 PM
Riffhard This tragedy is well beyond poitical mudslinging,but that does not keep some from doing just that. An article in France's Le Monde stated that of all the Western countries giving aid to the victims that the USA was the "greediest".

Very funny and completely untrue. The day after the tsunamies hit the USA made an initial donation of $35,000,000.00. That number has now grown to $350,000,000.00. This only includes the USA's goverment's contributions and not US citizins private donations. Those add up to over an additional $150,000,000.00 to date.

France,on the otherhand,made an initial donation of under a quarter of a million dollars! The exact amount is $135,000.00. That number has now risen,but that does not negate the fact that the French press in it's outright hatered of the American president tried to portray America has uncaring and selfish. Le Monde,as is always the case,won't say anything positive about America. Like the fact that the USA makes up 5% of the world's population,yet we donate about 42% of all humanitarian aid worldwide every year!

I don't post this to shit on France or French citizens. I post it because as an American I'm sick of being shit on by the likes of a shitty rag like Le Monde! I find it more than a little two faced when the whole world badmouths the USA because they may not agree with our policies,yet they are mighty quick to come to the USA with hat in hand when it suites them.

No need to bitch about us donating cash. We will. We always do. And,more often than not,we donate significantly more than anyone else. Le Monde should check it's facts a little better I would think. That,ofcourse,would mean that they could not slam the USA so that is very unlikely to happen.

Riffhard
January 3rd, 2005 05:36 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gypsy wrote:

It's not being PC...it's called having a fucking heart, jackass!

come on gypsy no need to start with the name calling
January 3rd, 2005 05:41 PM
kath
quote:
The day after the tsunamies hit the USA made an initial donation of $35,000,000.00.

not EXACTLY true..initially dubyah coughed up 15 mil

but what matters NOW is how those people can be best served.....

and they don't give a rat's ass whether we live in red or blue states or anything......

i was a little unnerved by the reports yesterday that people were back sunbathing on the beach and snorkeling..with so much deatha nd despair around them, it seems unconsionable to me.....
January 3rd, 2005 06:16 PM
Riffhard Well kath you are right about the 15 million,but that was long before the extant of the devastaion was apparent to anyone. Bush subsequently,of his own accord,raised the donation to 35 million. Then by weeks end had again raised it to ten times that amount.

To use this tragedy as a political wedge against Bush is disgusuting. Be it from a shitty French newspaper or some pissed off liberal columnist right here in America. Remember it was Bush who personally oversaw,and recommended, the contribution of $118,000,000.00 for AIDS/HIV relief/research efforts in Africa. That number,by the way,is more than five times the amount donated by Europe as a whole. You'll never read that in Le Monde,or the NYT for that matter. God forbid they make look Bush look compassionate in the slightest. It would go against their obvious liberal agenda.

Riffhard
January 3rd, 2005 06:18 PM
glencar Kath, you're so naive sometimes. Those people sunbathing on the beach are EXACTLY what's needed right now. What are the survivors going to do if Westerners stop going there? They depend on tourist dollars/pounds/euros & now is not the time to stop visiting. I read on another board that I visit that the Thai gov't is begging for people to continue to sunbathe.

Riffhard, A+ post as per usual.
January 3rd, 2005 06:20 PM
glencar BTW The initial $15M was because that's what was left in our disaster kitty. I think Bush didn't serve himself well by not getting out there right away but he's done a good job since Day 3.
January 4th, 2005 07:14 AM
Factory Girl In Bande Aceh, the airport is closed because a helicopter hit a herd of cows (per NBC news).

It is the colliding of the cultures.

Glenny-I saw W appointing Billy C. and Daddy to head a commission. Brother Jeb is already involved.
Putting family members into highly visible global humanitarian positions is self-serving and to some degree an abuse of power.
[Edited by Factory Girl]
January 4th, 2005 09:53 AM
Riffhard Factory Girl the only reason that Bush is giving Jeb such a high profile position with the tsunami relief efforts is because he was directly involved in the efforts to deal with the largest,and most expensive, series of natural dissaters to hit the continental United States. Namely,four hurricanes in the span of less than a month and a half in Florida. He has valuble experience with the issue.

Bush Sr. is a former US president so that gives him major clout throughout the world for the raising of awarness and funds. What gain does G W Bush recieve from appointing Clinton to such a high profile position? None at all! It's just the right thing to do.

This is what I mean about the liberal mindset. They seem to always think that their is some agenda/motive for everything that Bush does. It never occurs to liberals that Bush is simply a man of his word that will do everything that he can do to help. His history has shown just that,yet for some crazy irrational reason liberals can't,or won't,see it.

I don't recall the liberal historians raising hell about John Kennedy's nepotisim. God knows the Kennedy's have ALWAYS kept it in the family! Hello Robert Kennedy!

Don't get me wrong here FG. I don't know what political persuassion you are. You are just saying things that could have been directly lifted from Terry McAulif's playbook. Blind hatred of Bush and refusing to see the forest for the trees is exactly why November 2nd turned out the way it did.

Enough about politics. I'm going to do what my president is suggesting. I'm going to donate to a good charity to help those in need. UNICEF will not be on my list. The UN has lost all credibilty with me and many others after their total corruption and meltdown with regards to the Oil For Food(Palaces) racket. Kofi Annan should be sent directly to prison. His son should follow.

Riffhard
January 4th, 2005 11:03 AM
Factory Girl Riffy, criticism does not equate blind hatred, or a liberal viewpoint.

Yes, I'm aware of the party line that the brother is familiar with natural disasters. His and daddy's appts are still nepotism and an opportunistic use of a tragedy to promote a certain political agenda.

January 4th, 2005 11:54 AM
kath glencar, i'm not at all naive. i understand that they need tourist dollars. so while they're sunbathing and jet skiing, tidy up the beach.....help with some of the clean up, pretend they CARE!

'sall i'm sayin'......
January 4th, 2005 12:18 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
"Riffy, criticism does not equate blind hatred, or a liberal viewpoint."

Right you are. I fully agree with you there.

quote:

"Yes, I'm aware of the party line that the brother is familiar with natural disasters. His and daddy's appts are still nepotism and an opportunistic use of a tragedy to promote a certain political agenda."

Here you're as wrong as can be. You would have Bush avoid using his father,a former US president,and his brother,the governor with the most experience with dealing with natural disasters,just because they are relatives?! You must be kidding! He should call on not these two? Why? Just to appear not to show nepotisim?!?! What kind of twisted logic is that?!

No. I gotta think that your whole reason for complaining about this is simply because you do not like Bush. I would never even consider raising this issue if the shoe were on the other foot. If a democratic president were to do the same exact thing I would look at the reason behind it. Having a father as a former president and brother knowledgable about dealing with natural disasters is a perfectly resonable reason to bring them into the mix.

You are trying to insinuate that George W. Bush is using this tragedy for political gain,and that is pure unadulterated BULLSHIT! What possible gain would he achieve?! If it were for political gain why on earth would he include a former very popular Democrat president?! Why is Bubba on the bill?!?!?

You are proving my point very clearly. You have absolutly no reason ,and certainly no proof,to back your belief. You just believe it because that is the brainwashed mentality of so many liberals. Bush is bad. Period. The end. He has never tried to be good. There is always a motive. There is always some kind of political angle that he's trying to work. It's laughable really.

If you are looking for selfserving opportunistic politicians you should look no further than the Bill and Hill Show.

No hard feelings FG. I just get very annoyed when people continually try and throw Bush under the bus just because they don't like him. To use one of the greatest natural disasters of the last century to bash the US president strikes me as beyond sour grapes. It strikes me as absurd boardering on assholishness.

I,ofcourse,am not calling you an asshole Factory Girl. I don't want you to think that!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood