ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 9 earthquake/tsunami Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
January 6th, 2005 02:53 PM
glencar Joey, I fear Israel & all its palns for world domination. I believe they will do anything to silence their crit---
January 6th, 2005 04:36 PM
kath glencar...honey...come back...come in glencar....

oh gawd they've silenced another crit......
January 6th, 2005 04:38 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:
glencar...honey...come back...come in glencar....

oh gawd they've silenced another crit......

Kath ...................................

I worry about all the orphaned animals ....and you ?!?!
January 6th, 2005 08:10 PM
kath my heroes are the rehabbers and just concerned people who go out in boats and stuff and save pets from the flooding after the hurricans in florida and all. my best friend here is a rehabber, she's done some great stuff with some animals other people wouldn't bother with...and her chicken "sunnY' is a miracle in his own right.

i always feel for the animals....
January 6th, 2005 08:34 PM
corgi37 Yeah, animals are so much more important than orphaned 5 year old kids.

Or, is that too harsh?
January 6th, 2005 09:04 PM
telecaster
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Yeah, animals are so much more important than orphaned 5 year old kids.

Or, is that too harsh?

corgi. True story. Last night I was reading a book one of my fathers best friends wrote who was a WWII B-25 pilot

He flew over 200 combat missions out of Aussie, Soloman Sea, Bismark Sea, Port Moresby, etc against the Japs

He wrote the worst mission he ever flew was to destroy a dog kennel the Japs had as they trained these dogs (Shepherds)to hunt out the Aussie snipers, spotters and spys/recon troops.

The dogs would bark and give away the Aussies positions and the Japs would behead the Aussies when captured

The Aussies asked the US Air Force to take out the kennels

My dad's buddy wrote he flew around in circles before he flew on the deck and wiped out the kennels at the request of the Aussies with machine guns

He said he never felt so sick during the entire war even though he had sunk 2 ships with hundreds of Japs and killed many more on raids

What goes around comes around

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1575100932/qid=1105063570/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4424716-7898220?v=glance&s=books

[Edited by telecaster]
January 6th, 2005 10:03 PM
kath
quote:
Yeah, animals are so much more important than orphaned 5 year old kids.

Or, is that too harsh?

pretty harsh. also pretty stupid and shortsighted and typical that man's "dominian" means lettin' 'em go....

never once did i say animals should take priority over anybody, not even orphaned 5 year old kids. in fact, it was ME who first posted about the trade in children issue that have come up as a result of this disaster.

get it straight, man.
January 7th, 2005 12:07 AM
Zack Thank you all for thinking of me. One day back in Sri Lanka, I have not seen the devastation first hand yet but I am figuring out how to help. I am hearing stories from people who found themselves waist-high in water and survived. The Sri Lankans are amazingly matter-of-fact about the whole thing. No one in my office lost any direct family, thankfully. Last night I saw some NGO workers buying out all the cricket bats, balls, and other things for kids to play with in a store. I mean all. Among the greatest needs is emotional counseling for the people who have lost their entire families, and especially their children who couldn't swim or hold on to something to save their lives.

I consider myself very lucky. We probably would have been on the road to the beach at the time the two waves struck. How early a start we got probably would have determined whether we lived or died. If we had been in the Southern Province it would have The water was able to flip an 80-ton train engine and roll it four times. Of the 2,000 people on board that thing, 1,500 died.

It is true the exploitation of children is an issue in such a circumstance. In one case, two French children were separated from their father,who later rejoiced on hearing they were found in a hospital since his wife was killed. When they got to there to pick them up, they were both gone.

This is an opportunity for the entire world to set aside their differences and help the people here, in India, and Indonesia, and Thailand. Reading this discussion has really shown me who is who at RO. Great post a few pages back Corgi, and some others as well. The attempts at humor, I agree, are a natural way we react to things and I understand that, although they have mostly all fallen flat in this context.

You who have politicized the whole thing and taken the opportunity to trash the UN, make me sick. For all its shortcomings, this is what the fucking UN is meant for. To say at a time like this that donations to UNICEF will go into Kofi Annan's pockets disgusts me more than anything I have ever read. Both of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I just took a call from my wife who told me the entire staff at UNICEF Sri Lanka is working from seven a.m. until midnight seven days a week, and are making a difference despite the astonishing scale of the disaster. Reflect on that when you leave work at six tonight, why don't you.

January 7th, 2005 01:24 AM
glencar I hope you choke on the vomit that's making you so sick.
January 7th, 2005 02:56 AM
Zack
quote:
glencar wrote:
I hope you choke on the vomit that's making you so sick.

It's somebody else's vomit.
January 7th, 2005 03:01 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Zack wrote:

You who have politicized the whole thing and taken the opportunity to trash the UN, make me sick. For all its shortcomings, this is what the fucking UN is meant for. To say at a time like this that donations to UNICEF will go into Kofi Annan's pockets disgusts me more than anything I have ever read. Both of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I just took a call from my wife who told me the entire staff at UNICEF Sri Lanka is working from seven a.m. until midnight seven days a week, and are making a difference despite the astonishing scale of the disaster. Reflect on that when you leave work at six tonight, why don't you.

Zack,

I'm glad your safe. If weren't so damned late I'd respond to your post.

Suffice it to say,I will respond first thing when I wake up. I'm looking forward to it in fact. Right now the bed calls though.

Riffhard
January 7th, 2005 04:00 AM
Zack Riffy, do you realize our signature lines are taken from the same day? Both quotes illustrate how fearless Keith was in the face of that prosecutor. It took balls to say those things.

Before you start off on the political shortcomings of the UN, and there are many, let me ask you -- is this the time or place to imply the UN is corrupt and useless? In any case, what's the alternative? What other body is going to coordinate relief for five million people living in tents because their homes and all their possessions have been destroyed, can't drink the water from their wells because it's contaminated with sea water, can't catch any fish to eat because their boats are sticking out of second floor windows, and can't eat the vegetables in their gardens because the latrine has overflowed into the carrot patch?

Thousands of people in the employ of the UN are working to save this disaster from being even worse. Cheap shots and political rhetoric are just inappropriate at this time.
January 7th, 2005 04:28 AM
Rolling Hansie Zack, thank you very much for your well chosen words. You are so right. What's the use of posting negative stuff about organisations who are trying to help.

January 7th, 2005 04:45 AM
Rolling Hansie Or go to USAID if you want to make a donation. Many charities here to chose from:
USAID
January 7th, 2005 06:45 AM
LadyJane Zack...we are so glad you are safe!!! Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you and all of the victims of this horrible tragedy.

LJ.
January 7th, 2005 07:10 AM
Zack Thanks, LJ. Me and my Sri Lankan friends in the capital are all fine. Life goes on normally, except for shortages in the shops already. It's the fisher-folk who lived on the coast who lost their kids and their homes.
January 7th, 2005 07:12 AM
caro Take care, Zack. Did I understand that right that you & your wife both work for Unicef?
January 7th, 2005 08:24 AM
Factory Girl Good to see that you're ok, Zack. Take care.
January 7th, 2005 11:13 AM
Riffhard Zack again I'm truly glad to hear that you're alive and well. Having slept on it I have decided to just let it go. You may very well be right. This is not the time to point out the UN's shortcomings. I suppose that the reason I am so ready to do so is because the UN is ALWAYS so ready to point out the USA's shortcomings and never fess up to their own complete failures and utter corruption on a scale that is beyond mindboggling. They ARE massively crooked and no natural disaster,no matter the magnitude,is going to convince me otherwise. However,now is the time for charity and not bitching so I'll let it go. Welcome home Zack.

Riffhard
January 7th, 2005 11:35 AM
glencar The UN served a purpose years ago. Since the close of the Cold War, it's unnecessary. It's a sinkhole of graft. As noted, there are plenty of places to leave your money if you want to help. Choose wisely & think about how best to get things done.
January 7th, 2005 11:36 AM
glencar And I think now's a good time tio recall this earlier post:

quote:
glencar wrote:
From the powerline.com blog: Action Vs. Talk In Indonesia

For a realistic, on the ground account of what's happening in Sumatra, check out The Diplomad, a blog written by American foreign service officers. Their comments on the U.N.'s contributions are amusing:
Well, dear friends, we're now into the tenth day of the tsunami crisis and in this battered corner of Asia, the UN is nowhere to be seen -- unless you count at meetings, in five-star hotels, and holding press conferences.

Aussies and Yanks continue to carry the overwhelming bulk of the burden, but some other fine folks also have jumped in: e.g., the New Zealanders have provided C-130 lift and an excellent and much-needed potable water distribution system; the Singaporeans have provided great helo support; the Indians have a hospital ship taking position off Sumatra. Spain and Netherlands have sent aircraft with supplies.

The UN continues to send its best product, bureaucrats.

Most interesting to me was this memo written by Dutch diplomats and circulated at an EU meeting in Indonesia:
The US military has arrived and is clearly establishing its presence everywhere in Banda Aceh. They completely have taken over the military hospital, which was a mess until yesterday but is now completely up and running. They brought big stocks of medicines, materials for the operation room, teams of doctors, water and food. Most of the patients who were lying in the hospital untreated for a week have undergone medical treatment by the US teams by this afternoon. US military have unloaded lots of heavy vehicles and organize the logistics with Indonesian military near the airport. A big camp is being set up at a major square in the town. Huge generators are ready to provide electricity. US helicopters fly to places which haven't been reached for the whole week and drop food. The impression it makes on the people is also highly positive; finally something happens in the city of Banda Aceh and finally it seems some people are in control and are doing something. No talking but action. European countries are until now invisible on the ground. IOM staff (note: this is a USAID-funded organization) is very busy briefing the incoming Americans and Australians about the situation.

January 7th, 2005 12:45 PM
telecaster Zack glad you are ok

These guys have every right to complain about the UN and point out its disgusting inefficiencies and criminal behavior.

Now isn't the time to complain or politicize the issue?

Then why did the UN complain and politicize the issue from day one by calling the US and others "stingy?" Fucking bureaucratic assholes.

1. UN complains the US is "stingy". Funny since we pay for 26 percent of all UN funds and provide 40 of all food relief around the world yet the US is only 5 percent of the world's population

2. The UN demanded that the UN control ALL money donated from every country. WRONG. Ain't going to happen
(See Oil For Food Program)

3. Yesterday the UN complained that the US helicopters which are in fact delivering tons of supplies should land, turn off the helicopters, walk around and assess the situation and file a report to the UN.

WTF is that? We can tell you what the situation is, it is a fucking disaster and the survivors need food, water & medicine, not another UN meeting and report
We know it is a fucking disaster because our planes have been flying over the entire area
assessing the situation from the first day

4. Three days ago the UN falsely claimed they took actions to provide relief when in fact it was Australia, US & New Zealand that had provided the medical care and set up the hospital and provided the needed trucks which the UN was talking about. The UN is openly lying to the world

5. $22 billion. The amount the UN let Saddam steal in the Oil For Food Program. They have zero credibility and should not even be dispensing aspirin much less handling billions in relief money

6. Rwanda. UN workers demanded sex from women and kids in exchange for food. That seems to be the only time the UN acknowledged the disaster in Rwanda where millions died

7. While there was zero aid being provided by the UN, Australia, India, the US and Japan have been delivering tons of aid where it was needed. The UN decided to hold another meeting to access the situation

8. All you need to know about the UN besides the Money For Saddam scandal is that Cuba chairs the UN Human Rights Commission and Libya chairs the UN Terrorism Commission. How effective do you think they are?

It is the perfect time to criticize the UN and showcase how bad and ineffective the UN really is

In fact, it is heartless and sickening to endorse this
corrupt organization by turning a blind eye and supporting it
January 7th, 2005 01:07 PM
Rolling Hansie
quote:
kath wrote:
since this is a much more international board than sdb is, i am hoping none of us live in the wake of this horrible disaster! what a horrific scene! my heart goes out to all those affected.

It's really unfuckingbelievable. This was the original post that Kath started this thread with. Nothing else but good intentions. And now it has turned into a political bashing eachother, whether you should donate to Unicef or not or whatever charity. I am so very sorry about this all. Millions of people have lost everything and now I just can't find the right words to continue. Good luck to Zack and everyone who wants to continue keeping this thread to what it was originally meant to.
January 7th, 2005 01:09 PM
Rolling Hansie
quote:
glencar wrote:
I hope you choke on the vomit that's making you so sick.

Sorry Blue, but you should really be ashamed of yourself for posting such a vicious reply to somebody who really wants to do a good thing.
January 7th, 2005 01:16 PM
Rolling Hansie Well, I guess that is all I can say to this. I am outtahere. Goodbye and good luck
January 7th, 2005 02:37 PM
Joey
quote:
Rolling Hansie wrote:
Well, I guess that is all I can say to this. I am outtahere. Goodbye and good luck

Wait ................................

Rolling Hansie , you can't leave ...all the plants will die !

....and THEN , Depression set in Ronnie

Sassy ! ™
January 7th, 2005 04:39 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Rolling Hansie wrote:
Well, I guess that is all I can say to this. I am outtahere. Goodbye and good luck

Its damn liberals like you who hate America and love the U.N. more than god that cause all the bad stuff!
January 7th, 2005 05:10 PM
kath everybody shutup and look at these before and afters..

JEEEZUZ!!!!!

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/9.html

gawdalmighty.
January 7th, 2005 05:21 PM
kath for joey...

BENTOTA, Sri Lanka (CNN) -- The tsunami ended so many human lives, the environmental impact has taken second place.

In Sri Lanka, though, there are fears entire species can be wiped out. At particular risk are sea turtles.

Amid the rubble lies the remains of one of the world's last hopes for five endangered species of marine turtle.

"The waves, they're coming and they wash all the hatcheries ... all destroyed," says Kithsiri Kannangara of the Bentota Sea Turtles Project.

For 25 years, kannangari has fought to preserve Sri Lanka's dwindling turtle populations.

The waves killed thousands of baby turtles that were to have been released into the sea the very day the tsunami struck.

"It was more than 20,000 turtle hatchlings ready to go," says Kannangari. Of those, only 400 were saved.

It is effectively a wipeout. Even in ideal conditions, only one hatchling in a thousand survives to adulthood in the wild.

All but one of his adult turtles were also swept away -- "a green turtle about 3 years old, very beautiful," says Kannangari.

The few that have been recovered were found up to 5 kilometers away washed into a local river system. For the moment, he says, this has made the turtles even more endangered.

"The tsunami did a lot of problems for endangered species to protect ... to survive," he says.

Of his three green turtles, two were rescued. Of his Oliver Ridley species, only one of three. Of the hawksbill, he lost nine of 11. His single loggerhead turtle was found, but its shell was badly damaged.

Meanwhile, a handful of the rescued eggs have hatched.

Kannangari is trying to rebuild, but with the sudden death of tourism his revenue base has disappeared.

His more immediate concern, though, are his hawksbill turtles -- internatioinally listed as critically endangered.

"See this beautiful shell? People kill them, especially in the Maldives, there's no protection," he says.

Nearly two weeks after the tsunami, another hawksbill is brought in. "Now we have three, we have three," he says.

Its shell appears affected by freshwater immersion in a nearby stream, and it seems stressed -- showing no interest in food. But Kannangari is confident he can keep it alive.

And depleted as his stocks are, the work goes on. There are so few survivors, but Kannangari says it's time for them to go off to sea.

"Just put them down in the sand ... Here comes the water."

It's not the thousand hatchlings Kannangari had dreamt of, but these are the first ones since the tsunami. Much is now riding on their survival.
January 7th, 2005 05:41 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Its damn liberals like you who hate America and love the U.N. more than god that cause all the bad stuff!

He never said anything about America. Just chill man, better for your health
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood