ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 9 earthquake/tsunami Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
December 30th, 2004 12:21 AM
glencar kath51, they are burying the bodies pretty quickly so that should reduce the number who succumb to diseases like cholera & dysentery.
December 30th, 2004 02:34 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
glencar wrote:
kath51, they are burying the bodies pretty quickly so that should reduce the number who succumb to diseases like cholera & dysentery.

Good point Josh! Very good point. No one would have know that point if you hadn't decided to tell us what the TV was telling us.
December 30th, 2004 03:15 AM
gypsy I know sirmoonie is a really caring person...I know he is just being sarcastic.
December 30th, 2004 03:19 AM
FotiniD
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I know sirmoonie is a really caring person...I know he is just being sarcastic.

Well, I honestly hope so Gypsy, but even so, I don't think it's funny to make such "jokes" when we're talking about over 60.000 casualties.

And Sir Moonie, I'm honestly sorry for the outburst if indeed you were being sarcastic, but we've all seen so many dreadful photographs and videos of this disaster and so many pictures of dead people, men, women and kids, that it's just unbearable now. It makes no sense and words can't describe how scary and unfair this is.
[Edited by FotiniD]
December 30th, 2004 03:24 AM
gypsy
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Well, I honestly hope so Gypsy, but even so, I don't think it's funny to make such "jokes" when we're talking about over 60.000 casualties.

I agree with you, FotiniD. We should not joke about death...that's just wrong. As someone who works in the medical field and deals with death on a daily basis, I know many co-workers who deal with death by joking about it. I find it highly inappropriate, and I tell them so. Then, some of them say "Well, you can't cry because this is our job." I always say "I don't cry when I'm on the job. But I do NOT joke about it either."
It really does make me sad and mad that people do that.
December 30th, 2004 03:26 AM
FotiniD
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I agree with you, FotiniD. We should not joke about death...that's just wrong. As someone who works in the medical field and deals with death on a daily basis, I know many co-workers who deal with death by joking about it. I find it highly inappropriate, and I tell them so. Then, some of them say "Well, you can't cry because this is our job." I always say "I don't cry when I'm on the job. But I do NOT joke about it either."
It really does make me sad and mad that people do that.

Yes Gypsy, that's the point I was trying to make. There's just no room for joking when you see so many people dying like that.

And it's a hard job you're doing, I don't think I could handle it! Takes lots of guts!
December 30th, 2004 03:27 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
And please take your racism and blatant apathy elsewhere. This thread has no room for such shit.

Hey FotiniD! I had no idea that you were a female until a few weeks ago. I'm sorry about anything I ever posted that upset you. I really am. Sometimes you post like some of my retard bretheren, and its confusing keeping track of who is who. Again, I'm really sorry if I pissed you off or anything like that.

Your quote above is classic - "blatant apathy" are two words I wish I could have thought to use in conjunction, and they lead perfectly into the next line of common derogatory parlance.

You are very good at this, you seem to have a big heart, and you don't back down from what you think is right. You will go far in life.

Later,

sirmoonie
December 30th, 2004 03:31 AM
FotiniD
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Sometimes you post like some of my retard bretheren, and its confusing keeping track of who is who. Again, I'm really sorry if I pissed you off or anything like that.

Well, your posts confuse me a lot too Sir Moonie...

Anyway, I'm sorry too if your post was meant to be sarcastic, but as told, that's a really sensitive matter Moonie.

I've heard on the radio there's warning for a tsunami heading towards India or did I hear wrong? Here's to hoping people are all safe there and the tsunami is not big enough to cause damage or death.

Two more days and this stupid year comes to an end.
December 30th, 2004 03:33 AM
sirmoonie Sorry to both of you. I was doing what Gyps said.

Some of the "serious" commentary I see strikes me as a fucking joke, and it pisses me off. So I act childishly and accordingly.

Again, sorry if I upset you two. Or anyone else. Trust me, death is no stranger to my family, and I know its serious business when it comes down.

sirmoonie
December 30th, 2004 04:18 AM
Moonisup I"ve met Sirmoonie in london last year, and he's a nice guy, and it's fun to have a beer with him. I agree with Gypsy, he was just being sarcastic
December 30th, 2004 04:26 AM
FotiniD I deleted my original post, since it makes no sense now.
December 30th, 2004 04:40 AM
Zeeta I would just donate man - this shit is horrid! If you're in UK get to http://www.dec.org.uk/

December 30th, 2004 06:43 AM
corgi37 I got a $100 off my mum-in-law for Christmas. I went to cash it today at the bank. Before i went, i had a coffee and some raison toast at work. I watched the 10.30am news.

I saw footage of some little kids getting washed away. They slammed into a car that got swamped. They must have been about 1 year older than my twins.

I banked the $100 into a red-cross account. I have a cheque coming from one of my hire cars in Queensland. That too is going to the appeal. It's not much, but then again, i will be giving more.

I can comprehend 2-3 or so people dying. Maybe even the 88 or so Aussies that died in Bali, along with the 120 or so more.

Sept 11 2001 was hard to comprehend. What was it? 3,500 dead or so? But, as i write, 87,000 dead i just cant comprehend. There will be many more too. And, like 9/11, most will never be found, buried in mud or washed out to sea.

I cant be flippant or smart ass about this. And i wont post anything to lessen the terrible situation. It has hit us Aussies hard. Most of us go to these places for holidays. I've been to Phuket twice, and it was great. As soon as they rebuild, i'm going back.

We also have a huge Sri Lankan population here, and those blokes and sheilas are the best people in the world. 2 people i know have lost family.

The one thing that kind of bugs me here in Oz is our news services. I mean, as far as is known to this point, about 10 or so Aussies are dead. Hey, that bad enough. But, 87,000 others are dead too. I wonder if no Aussies died if it would be on page 1 of the papers? Instead of some cricket story? That may be a bit harsh, and i cant be fucked thinking negative like that.

Some of you can post funny shit and be smart pricks. I wont bite. But, ya'll lose some of my loving respect in the process.

Thanks to all you people for being so loving and sweet and like a family i never see.
December 30th, 2004 06:51 AM
Moonisup I saw an Aussie mom on tv that had to choose wich kid she would let go when the flood came, pff that's tough
December 30th, 2004 07:43 AM
Rolling Hansie

December 30th, 2004 07:46 AM
Gazza Great post, Corgi.
December 30th, 2004 07:46 AM
Rolling Hansie Maybe this is a good idea. Let everybody put the above logo with link on the frontpage of his website. When you click the logo it will take you directly to the international Unicef website. You can choose your country and make an online donation in your own currency. It might help raising money.
December 30th, 2004 07:48 AM
Rolling Hansie Well said Corgi
December 30th, 2004 08:34 AM
Rolling Hansie Any other logo for any other helping organisation will do the same of course
December 30th, 2004 08:56 AM
FotiniD Well said Corgi indeed.

Greek press and media aren't much different either. Concentrating on what happened to the Greeks there. But it's hard, I know. It's hard for everyone.

But the size of this tragedy... I don't think it hit us yet. A whole generation was swept away. If there is an image of hell, I don't think it gets any closer.

December 30th, 2004 09:28 AM
LadyJane I commend you Fotini!! You bring dignity to this Board.

You MUST join our "Girls-only" Group. Check your PM

LJ.
December 30th, 2004 10:12 AM
J.J.Flash I don't know if this news are up-to-date, but seems that there is a possibility of another tsunami, since there was another earthquake near the epicentre of the first one.

I hope the evacuation works fast now.

December 30th, 2004 10:13 AM
egon corgi,

you just wrote the best post of 2004

[Edited by egon]
December 30th, 2004 11:36 AM
LadyJane
quote:
egon wrote:
corgi,

you just wrote the best post of 2004

[Edited by egon]

Amen, egon. I agree completely!

All that comes to mind when watching this tragedy is.....Regardless of the flags we waive, the amount of money in our pockets, the religious beliefs we hold, or the colors of our skin....we all share life on this Planet...and it all could end in a split second.

Dear God..I'm watching an interview with the woman who had to choose which son to hold on to and which one to let go. Both boys survived. I guess there is hope after all.

Peace, my friends.

LJ.
December 30th, 2004 11:57 AM
telecaster It is really bizarre how all the animals knew it was coming
and cleared out

December 30th, 2004 01:38 PM
kath well, of course LOTS of animals were killed too. but studies have shown in the past that animals in zoos and so forth can "predict" an earthquake. they begin to get very restless and panicky, the monkeys scream, the cats roar, etc.
December 30th, 2004 01:57 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
glencar wrote:
kath51, they are burying the bodies pretty quickly so that should reduce the number who succumb to diseases like cholera & dysentery.

This, apparently, is a huge misconception, as it is the living who spread diseases like that:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/a...pses/index.html

(CNN) -- Rotting corpses pose little threat to the health of survivors, and there is no need to rush to bury or cremate them, health officials have said.

"A person who dies is not, in themselves, a health threat to people around," Dr. David Nabarro, executive director for sustainable development and healthy environments at the World Health Organization, said Wednesday.

"After a number of hours, the pathogens inside the dead person's body become not dangerous. They usually decompose and die. And the dead person therefore is not a primary threat to the health of others."

While there might be other reasons not to wait to give the bodies a decent burial, "We should not be rushing to do mass burials for the sake of public health," he said.

Survivors faced the greatest risk of disease from exposure to feces or other contaminants produced by live people, Nabarro said, and that means it was critical for health officials to move quickly to provide survivors with clean drinking water and sanitation facilities.

"That must be given priority," he said.

The mistaken belief that decomposing bodies lead to outbreaks of diseases often leads authorities to undertake mass burials or cremations, which can add to the suffering of survivors, said Dr. Dana Van Alphen, an adviser to the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), which is a regional office of WHO.

"In too many cases," said Van Alphen, "authorities rush to bury victims without identifying them, under the false belief that bodies pose a serious threat of epidemics. It is just not true."

The practice also violated the human rights of victims and survivors, she said.

Burials should be conducted so that the bodies could later be exhumed, health officials said.

Bodies should be buried at least a meter (three feet) below ground and far from water sources, according to "Infection Hazards of Human Cadavers," a chapter in "A Guide to Infection Control in the Hospital" (B.C. Decker Inc. 1998).

"The major hazard facing emergency service personnel is spilt blood and any risk can be greatly reduced by preventing contact with blood (use of gloves, face and eye protection, and protective clothing where necessary)," the authors wrote.

The major public health concern now is lack of potable water, Dr. Daniel Lopez-Acuna of PAHO said.

Contaminated water can lead to outbreaks of dysentery and cholera, malaria and dengue, he said.

"This is, without a doubt, the major problem we need to be looking at."
December 30th, 2004 02:45 PM
iluvmickjagger07 damn this disaster is worst than 9/11. i read a few of yalls post and really glad so many of yall are donating.
December 30th, 2004 03:07 PM
Factory Girl I'd like Bushie to donate the Inaguration funds to the relief efforts. Such a humanitarian gesture would improve the way US is perceived in the rest of the world.

He should just make do with a "swearing at." This is no time for him to have a party.
December 30th, 2004 08:37 PM
glencar FG, what would be the point? It's not a zero-sum game. We have enough money for the Inauguration celebration & the victims of this disaster.

Fotini, you & I will always disagree on politics but you have a good heart.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood