ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 9 earthquake/tsunami Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
December 28th, 2004 11:46 AM
glencar At first the headline "Supermodel Is Also A Tsunami Victim" seemed somewhat "onion-ish" but it sounds like this coatrack actually did suffer: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001/20041228/0954868784.htm&photoid=20041005NYET324
December 28th, 2004 11:56 AM
LadyJane I am glued to Fox News. The supermodel story is true, glenny.

I'm just staring at the TV with my mouth open. I don't believe I have ever witnessed a tragedy of this magnitude in my entire life.

This is a somber and sobering event.

December 28th, 2004 11:58 AM
glencar I too have FOX on. I always ahve FOX on. I'm "ill" today as I have a doctor's appointment for ear problems.
December 28th, 2004 11:59 AM
erikjjf
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
This is a somber and sobering event.

I fully agree. I just made a donation to the Red Cross. Maybe Josh should too, instead of buying designer jeans?
December 28th, 2004 12:03 PM
glencar The Red Cross is a waste of money. Too much is spent on administrative costs to matter. There are more worthwhile charities.
December 28th, 2004 12:05 PM
erikjjf It's a gesture.
December 28th, 2004 12:09 PM
glencar An empty gesture is worse than buying those overpriced blue jeans. At least someone in China will make $1 off the pair they make.
December 28th, 2004 12:15 PM
Angiegirl No need to bash other people's good intents Glenny. Good for you Erik! This is an amazingly shocking disaster.
December 28th, 2004 12:17 PM
erikjjf The Swedish Red Cross happen to be doing a lot of work down there at the moment. But thanks for making it clear that good deeds don't mean shit.
December 28th, 2004 12:50 PM
glencar Anytime!
December 28th, 2004 01:04 PM
glencar To move from the self-righteous to the real:
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/video/tsunami-indonesia12-2004.qt
December 28th, 2004 01:20 PM
erikjjf So far there are about 2000 Swedes unaccounted for. Naturally, I'm very concerned. But please go ahead, mock, ridicule. Knock yourself out!
December 28th, 2004 01:25 PM
kath http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiap...ites/index.html

many agencies accepting donations for earthquake/tsunami victims.
[Edited by kath]
December 28th, 2004 01:42 PM
LadyJane Out of respect for the 60,000 lives (probably more) lost, PLEASE, PLEASE refrain from any negative comments/personal attacks.

There is NO place for that in this thread. NONE.

LJ.
December 28th, 2004 02:00 PM
telecaster I think glencar was talking about the American Red Cross

They fucked up big time with corporate first class travel, first class hotels (one of the execs keeps a permenant suite at the Chicago Ritz and is there about 30 days a year), huge $500,000 plus salaries and sat on tons of cash that was donated for 9/11 and redecorated their offices with some of the money and got caught doing all of this

They were a complete mess and very ineffective

He is 100% correct. Donate where it will do the most good

There is a site that shows what percent of donations actually gets to the intended target for various charities. Of course I don't know what it is

December 28th, 2004 02:06 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
erikjjf wrote:

I fully agree. I just made a donation to the Red Cross. Maybe Josh should too, instead of buying designer jeans?

Funny you should mention something like that. Let me ask you, how many Rolling Stones concerts did you go to during their last tour? Did you buy any of their merchandise? It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

It's nice you made a donation, but there's no need to bring up what others should and shouldn't do.
December 28th, 2004 02:10 PM
Sue
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Out of respect for the 60,000 lives (probably more) lost, PLEASE, PLEASE refrain from any negative comments/personal attacks.

LJ.

Couldn't agree more LJ, please only positive comments
December 28th, 2004 04:12 PM
kath you're right. sorry.
December 28th, 2004 07:04 PM
glencar
quote:
telecaster wrote:
I think glencar was talking about the American Red Cross

They fucked up big time with corporate first class travel, first class hotels (one of the execs keeps a permenant suite at the Chicago Ritz and is there about 30 days a year), huge $500,000 plus salaries and sat on tons of cash that was donated for 9/11 and redecorated their offices with some of the money and got caught doing all of this

They were a complete mess and very ineffective

He is 100% correct. Donate where it will do the most good

There is a site that shows what percent of donations actually gets to the intended target for various charities. Of course I don't know what it is

Correct as usual, Telecaster. Also, it should be noted that despite Erik's whining, I didn't insult him personally or make fun of the victims of this disaster. I was noting that simply making a donation for the "feel-good" impulse was nonsensical, nay, idiotic. Some of these charities spend a fortune on administrative costs & it's stupid to just give to them without a thought about where the money really goes. I think Joshy's jean-buying strategy is almost a better thing.
December 28th, 2004 07:23 PM
stonedinaustralia well it's huge isn't it

the size of the whole ting is simply mindblowing - an historical event to rival any other

but weird it happens the day after christmas, as it is almost biblical in proportion - not only is the world enough of a fucked up scary place at times now nature's getting in on the act

armagiddeon time anyone??

and given the huge number of lives lost i eagerly await the tawdry and exploitative views of the media and the mannered handwringing of the politicians as they declare the "war against nature" that is likely to follow
December 28th, 2004 07:29 PM
glencar It was almost exactly a year to date that the huge earthquake in Iran hit. There will be no war against nature.
December 28th, 2004 11:02 PM
kath UNICEF and WHO (world health organization) and veryactive in this. donations may be better spent with them. i dunno.
December 28th, 2004 11:04 PM
glencar I'm thinking them or Caritas or Doctors W/O Borders.
December 28th, 2004 11:10 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
kath wrote:
UNICEF and WHO (world health organization) and veryactive in this. donations may be better spent with them. i dunno.

Please post a link to make donations via credit card or bank transfer or even PayPal
December 29th, 2004 12:09 AM
LadyJane http://www.unicef.org/index.html

http://www.americares.org/

Here are two the Yahoo is recommending.

LJ.
December 29th, 2004 06:54 AM
Rolling Hansie
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Out of respect for the 60,000 lives (probably more) lost, PLEASE, PLEASE refrain from any negative comments/personal attacks.

LJ.

You are so right LadyJane.
Better donate some money to Unicef for example.
http://www.supportunicef.org/site/pp.asp?c=iuI1LdP0G&b=276341
December 29th, 2004 02:36 PM
kath http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/

dear gawd.....80,000 MISSING!!!!!!!!

this is horrible......
December 29th, 2004 08:49 PM
glencar This is the largest catastrophe in decades, I'm sure.
December 29th, 2004 10:06 PM
kath easily, glencar. i would guess tht when it's all over, it may very well reach 250,000. the 100,00 mark is probably gonna be reached tomorrow. they haven't even gotten to the places that were hit directly.......

it's just heartbreaking seeing the videos of people being washed away........people looking for the loved ones.....
December 29th, 2004 11:51 PM
sirmoonie The fact that god decided to kill tens of thousands of Islamics and only a few Americans is proof positive that He knows which way the wind is blowing in Iraq, IMHMFO. He ain't stupid, after all, being omnipotent and all-knowing and such.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood