ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 9 earthquake/tsunami Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
January 7th, 2005 05:53 PM
glencar For the record, I think this is a horrible tragedy for many humans & many animals & I hope things get back to normal as soon as possible. It's great if people want to & can help & we should all do what we can do to speed up the recovery process. That said, it's best to send your money where it will do the most good. Sending it down a rathole like the UN is one choice. Or you could actually try to help & send your dough to a good organization. The UN ahs been shown time & again to be corrupt & inefficient. If you want to help people, send the money to Save The Children, CRS, DoctorsW/O Borders(although they now have received more than they can process), or any other worthwhile group. If you want to support staff meetings & such, send it to UNICEF or one of those hugely inefficient & corrupt groups.

Before I turned on the TV & what did I see but that bureaucrat Kofi Annan presiding over yet another meeting about what a disaster this tsunami was. Yeah, keep sending that asshole your money. I live in NY & I can tell you the UN is a huge waste of money & manpower. They have conferences once a year at least & all these 3rd world potentates come flying in on expensive aircraft with their grafty pals & stay at the Waldorf & the Helmsley while another 500 kids in those countries die. I have nothing to be ashamed about. You who keep sending money just because it makes you feel better turn my stomach.
January 7th, 2005 05:55 PM
Riffhard Angie,far me it from me to speak for Moonie,but I'd say it's a safe bet that he was being very tongue in cheek with his response.

Riffhard
January 7th, 2005 06:04 PM
Angiegirl Oh, ok, in that case...
I was already scratching my head over the amount of anger in this place, lol.
January 7th, 2005 06:28 PM
glencar Hardworking UN types:

The U.N. To The Rescue

A first-hand report from one of the diplomats at Diplomad:
This Embassy has been running 24/7 since the December 26 earthquake and tsunami. Along with my colleagues, I've spent the past several days dealing non-stop with various aspects of the relief effort in this tsunami-affected country. That work, unfortunately, has brought ever-increasing contact with the growing UN presence in this capital; in fact, we've found that to avoid running into the UN, we must go out to where the quake and tsunami actually hit. As we come up on two weeks since the disaster struck, the UN is still not to be seen where it counts -- except when holding well-staged press events. Ah, yes, but the luxury hotels are full of UN assessment teams and visiting big shots from New York, Geneva, and Vienna. The city sees a steady procession of UN Mercedes sedans and top-of-the-line SUV's -- a fully decked out Toyota Landcruiser is the UN vehicle of choice; it doesn't seem that concerns about "global warming" and preserving your tax dollars run too deep among the UNocrats.

Sitting VERY late for two consecutive nights in interminable meetings with UN reps, hearing them go on about "taking the lead coordination role," pledges, and the impending arrival of this or that UN big shot or assessment/coordination team, for the millionth time I realized that if not for Australia and America almost nobody in the tsunami-affected areas would have survived more than a few days. If we had waited for the UNocrats to get their act coordinated, the already massive death toll would have become astronomical. But, fortunately, thanks to "retrograde racist war-mongers " such as John Howard and George W. Bush, as we sat in air conditioned meeting rooms with these UNocrats, young Australians and Americans were at that moment "coordinating" without the UN and saving the lives of tens-of-thousands of people.
January 7th, 2005 10:35 PM
kath i, for one, am willing to concede that the UN ain't
what it used to be and certainly NEVER what it was intended to be....

that being said, could we please get back to the original spirit of this thread or just kill it. looking at those before/after shots really make you realize how horrible it is and how many people and how much destruction there was. and the rebuilding is gonna be an enormous undertaking.

there are a LOT of relief agencies over there and more on the way. i only wish i could be there to help. and if that makes you sick...i feel sorry..sorry for you......

get on board...join hands...start a love train..love train...

sorry glencar....i can't be that serious that long...but a lot of people are working hard to help. can we let it go at that?
January 7th, 2005 11:52 PM
glencar Sure kath, no problem. It's the victims who matter. I just wanted to let everyone know that the UN sucks. But moving on is probably the right move. So no more UN-fighting!
[Edited by glencar]
January 9th, 2005 02:09 PM
seclusion I'm surprised that there weren't any casualties on this group, thank god! Seven countries? Jeez... I haven't followed it but my husband has seen the footage taken from the people on the upper floor of a hotel. I don't like to watch it because I have really bad dreams of tidal waves and this may be cop-out, but ignorance in some cases is bliss. I just hope everyone helps each other. That's what its all about. Every rich sonofabitch out there should at least donate 2M. I cringe to think of all the homeless children. And what about Clinton? one of this nation's best presidents, imo.
January 10th, 2005 02:38 PM
Joey
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
I was already scratching my head over the amount of anger in this place, lol.

Joey is a lover ...............not a fighter
January 10th, 2005 04:08 PM
jb I made a substantial donation despite my anger at how some of this is being handled............................
January 10th, 2005 04:18 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I made a substantial donation despite my anger at how some of this is being handled............................

Your money is being funneled over to Iraq !
January 10th, 2005 04:56 PM
kath oh gawd, here we go again.........
January 10th, 2005 06:06 PM
corgi37 No doubt the U.S. is stretched by its Iraq involvement. But, wait until say 2015, when they are still stuck there, and see how much it costs them!!!

Australia must be the richest country, as we have given the most.

Or, is it to get into the Indonesians good books so they dont invade us in 20 years?

Either way, things have been nuts here. The number of people donating clothes and money to where i work is incredible. We've had to cancel accepting any more stuff.

What i dont get is; Where is the money/aid from Saudi Arabia, the sultan of Brunei, Nigeria, Gaddafi, and the man of the decade, that billionaire murderer, Osama Bin Laden??? Many people here have been baggin the Yanks for their level of donation, but not a word has been said against the oil rich nations. Of course, i could be wrong in that they havent donated, but gee, i aint read about it. I mean, not even a lend of portable desalination equipment. Oh, nooooooooooo, thats needed for the Prince's golf courses.

The footage released last night of the water beginning to flow down a street, while people walk around and drive their cars, then turns into an debris strewn torrent within seconds was amazing. No one would have a snowflakes hope in hell of surviving that.

P.S. Soon, we Aussies will have no where to go! 1st Bali, now Phuket. Anything happens to our GOld Coast, and i am holidaying in the back yard.
January 10th, 2005 06:21 PM
Monkey Woman Posted by Doug on Shidoobee: Mick on radio next Monday for Tsunami relief

"Radio stations join to devote airwaves to disaster appeal

Tsunami: radio station joining to raise money
Daniel Farey-Jones, Brand Republic 16:00 10-01-2005
LONDON – The UK commercial radio industry is to raise money for children affected by the Asian tsunami disaster with UK Radio Aid next Monday, when all commercial stations will unite to broadcast a special programme featuring a range of DJs, celebrities and musicians.

More than 200 of the UK's commercial radio stations will suspend their normal programming to broadcast as a single station from 6am to 6pm, attracting an estimated audience of more than 20m listeners from stations owned by Emap, Capital Radio, Chrysalis, GMG Radio, GWR, SRH, Classic Gold and Virgin.

The programme will be produced live from Capital Radio's headquarters in Leicester Square.

Each hour of programming will be hosted by two guest DJs who will introduce live acoustic sets, guest interviews, competitions, auctions, pledges, messages and news breaks.

The effort already has the support from a range of politicians and celebrities including Prime Minister Tony Blair, Real Madrid and England footballer Michael Owen, Jamelia and Mick Jagger.

Mark Story, chairman of UK Radio Aid, said: "I am immensely proud of and grateful to our colleagues across commercial radio who, when asked for an extraordinary response to this disaster, were all in immediate agreement to unite for this very special day."
January 10th, 2005 10:00 PM
kath see what i mean? it just can't be about hatred and politics...i saw that footage 10 times already of the water just suddenly appearing and washing people away who were just crossing the damn street! this is mind boggling destruction. the re-building will be YEARS and TEARS! it'll take a LOT of volunteers, a lot of world govt's coming together, figuring out who is gonna do what with which monies that were donated to various agencies..blah blah blah......

January 10th, 2005 11:37 PM
glencar kath, I know it might seem like I engaged in political discussion but that's not really true. I disparaged the Red Cross(American version) & the UN. I posted anecdotal & factual evidence. My heart goes out to the victims & I hope we all learn from this tragedy. I note that on the Shidobee board, the politics angle came from your side & it came early. I think that anytime there's a story of this magnitude, we're bound to have some political issues raised. We're only human & most thinking people have their own ideas how things should be done.
January 11th, 2005 11:14 AM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

Your money is being funneled over to Iraq !

I am trying to avoid politics as this is a tragedy beyond anything we have ever seen....I donated money to the Jewish relief agency which wil ensure that the funds are properly disbursed......I feel terrible for the thousands of displaced children who are innocent victims of this horrendous force of nature. It seems to me those making fun at the movie "The Day After" ought to reconsider their positions on the effect of global warming and rising sea levels...but then again, these are people who deny Darwinism as well....Never foget the Galopogos Finches...never!!!
January 11th, 2005 11:40 AM
glencar "The Day "After" was that '80's TV flick about nuclear war. Try again, Pancho.
January 11th, 2005 11:46 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
"The Day "After" was that '80's TV flick about nuclear war. Try again, Pancho.

Yes , it starred Virginia Madsen who is STILL HOT at the age of 44 .
January 11th, 2005 11:47 AM
glencar Have you seen "Side"ways?
January 11th, 2005 11:57 AM
glencar Really? Alexander Payne? He's married to that Asian-American actress who's in the flick.
January 11th, 2005 12:00 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Really? Alexander Payne? He's married to that Asian-American actress who's in the flick.

Yes , Sandra Oh ( looks like a young Yoko with requisite flat Ass )

" Why must the Asses be so damn flat Ronnie ? .. Why ?!?! "

Baby Jo !
January 11th, 2005 02:40 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
"The Day "After" was that '80's TV flick about nuclear war. Try again, Pancho.

Yes...starring Jason Roberts ..I meant "The Day after tommorow"?
January 11th, 2005 03:55 PM
glencar Yes, I haven't seen that one yet but I hear it's unintentionally funny.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood