ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 humiliating us in sales Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
June 25th, 2005 07:42 AM
jb
U2 thrill 80,000 at Dublin venue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(BBC.com)

Thousands of U2 fans from around the world gathered to witness the Irish band perform a homecoming concert at Croke Park in Dublin.

Friday's performance was the first of three sell-out gigs at the venue, expected to be witnessed by a total of 250,000 fans.

Singer Bono yelled "hello, hello" to the crowd as the band took the stage, to the roar of around 80,000 fans.

Some fans had camped out overnight to be the first inside the stadium.

The band opened with Vertigo, their recent number one hit, before delving into their back catalogue with I Will Follow.

'Apprehensive'

Pouring rain had failed to dampen the spirits of the excited crowd as they waited for U2 to take to the stage and a Mexican wave glided around the stadium.

A German fan, who said he waited four weeks to obtain tickets, called it "one of the biggest days for me".

The band's manager Paul McGuinness said they were "apprehensive" but "very confident" about playing their home city.

"Playing Dublin is always extra excitement, extra pressure," he added.

Superstars

U2 were supported by Snow Patrol and The Radiators, while The Thrills and Paddy Casey will be performing with them on Saturday.

Monday's final concert in the Irish Republic's capital will see The Bravery and Northern Ireland band Ash share the bill with the veteran superstars.

Tickets for the three gigs have been going for as much as 500 euros (£330) on the internet after they sold out within hours of being released.

Hotels in Dublin have been sold out in the run-up to the concerts, and extra traffic measures have been put in place around the Croke Park stadium.

Excitement builds for U2 Dublin gigs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(BBC.com)

U2 bring their Vertigo world tour to their home city of Dublin this weekend, with three concerts at Croke Park starting on Friday night.

Their familiar faces are on the front covers of newspapers and magazines, and their music seems to be blaring out of every passing car.

Ireland's - and probably the world's - best known band are back in town, for what U2's loyal fans might call "a sort of homecoming".

When Coldplay, the group some see as pretenders to U2's throne, played in Dublin this week, frontman Chris Martin rounded off the night by telling everyone to enjoy U2 this weekend - "still the best band in the world", he smiled, to cheers.

Even for a band enjoying its third decade of global success, this trip back to the city where they grew up and still live is a bit special.

Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr are playing three gigs in four days at Croke Park, the magnificent sports stadium in the heart of Dublin. Each will be watched by 82,000 fans.

The tickets - nearly quarter of a million of them - went in less than four hours. It's been reported here that a British fan paid more than $8,000 (£4,392) for a pair of standing tickets last week.

The visit is part of the band's Vertigo tour, which kicked off in San Diego in the US earlier this year, and which will see them play a punishing 114 shows around the world.

Revered home

And around the world is where the fans are coming from to see U2 play on home soil.

More than 24 hours before the first gig, fans from Sweden, America, Italy and the UK were milling about outside the stadium. Hotel space is at a premium, with many fans staying in towns an hour or more's drive from the capital in order to find a bed for the night.

For hotel owners, publicans, taxi drivers and others, the huge influx is great news.

The revered home of Ireland's favourite sports, Gaelic football and hurling, has been transformed mid-season, with thick matting put down to protect the turf from 82,000 pairs of feet.

The stadium director said that hosting the concerts would be like organising three, back-to-back All-Ireland finals - the showpiece events of the Irish sporting year.

The last time U2 played in Ireland was back in 2001, but their appeal endures, as the excitement surrounding their current tour shows.

Bono's campaigning work on debt and poverty issues may have made them more than just a rock band, but the music still pulls in the crowds.

'Operation U2'

As the vast stage was being erected, U2's manager Paul McGuinness told reporters that it was great to be back in the band's "favourite city".

There's a pride here for these Dublin boys made extremely good, and who have kept close links with the city as their wealth and fame have mushroomed.

So the stage is ready, the fans are flying in, and the tickets are sold. The Irish Times newspapers talked of "Operation U2" being put in place as the city prepares for 250,000 concert-goers.

For anyone who's not a fan of Bono and co, it might be a good time to quietly slip out of Dublin.

June 25th, 2005 07:53 AM
charlotte // EUROPEAN DATES
(support acts noted where announced)

June 10th Brussels - King Baudouin Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Snow Patrol/The Thrills
June 12th Gelsenkirchen - Schalke Stadium
Support Act: Feeder/The Thrills
June 14th Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Snow Patrol/The Bravery
June 15th Manchester ­ City of Manchester Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Athlete/Idlewild
June 18th London - Twickenham Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Athlete/Doves
June 19th London - Twickenham Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Ash/Idlewild
June 21st Glasgow - Hampden Park, Sold Out
Support Act: Interpol/Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
June 24th Dublin - Croke Park, Sold Out
Support Act: Radiators/Snow Patrol
June 25th Dublin - Croke Park, Sold Out
Support Act: Paddy Casey/The Thrills
June 27th Dublin - Croke Park, Sold Out
Support Act: Ash/The Bravery
June 29th Cardiff - Millenium Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: The Killers/Starsailor

2nd July Vienna - Ernst Happel Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act:
5th July Katowice - Slaski Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: The Killers
7th July Berlin - Olympic Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: The Kaiser Chiefs/Snow Patrol
9th July Paris - Stade de France, Sold Out
Support Act: Snow Patrol/Starsailor
10th July Paris ­ Stade de France, Sold Out
Support Act: Snow Patrol
13th July Amsterdam ? Arena, Sold Out
Support Act: The Kaiser Chiefs/The Killers
15th July Amsterdam ? Arena, Sold Out
Support Act: Snow Patrol/The Music
16th July Amsterdam ? Arena, Sold Out
Support Act: Athlete/Snow Patrol
18th July Zurich ? Letzigrund Stadium
Support Act: Ash/Feeder
20th July Milan - San Siro, Sold Out
21st July Milan - San Siro, Sold Out
23rd July Rome - Olympic Stadium, Sold Out
27th July Oslo - Vallehovin Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Razorlight/Paddy Casey
29th July Gothenburg - Ullevi Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Razorlight
31st July Copenhagen - Parken , Sold Out
Support Act: Razorlight

3rd August Munich - Olympic Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Keane/The Zutons
5th August Nice - Parc des Sports Charles Ehrmann, Sold Out
Support Act: Keane/The Zutons
7th August Barcelona ? Camp Nou, Sold Out
Support Act: Keane/Kaiser Chiefs
9th August San Sebastian - Anoeta Stadium, Sold Out
Support Act: Franz Ferdinand/Kaiser Chiefs
11th August Madrid - Estadio Vicente Calderon, Sold Out
Support Act: Franz Ferdinand/Kaiser Chiefs
14th August Lisbon - Alvalade, Sold Out
Support Act: Keane/Kaiser Chiefs

NORTH AMERICAN FALL TOUR DATES

12th September Toronto - Air Canada Centre, Sold Out
14th September Toronto - Air Canada Centre, Sold Out
16th September Toronto - Air Canada Centre, Sold Out
17th September Toronto - Air Canada Centre, Sold Out
20th September Chicago - United Center, Sold Out
21st September Chicago - United Center, Sold Out
23rd September Minneapolis - Target Center, Sold Out
25th September Milwaukee - Bradley Center, Sold Out

03rd October Boston - Fleet Center, Sold Out
04th October Boston - Fleet Center, Sold Out
07th October New York - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
08th October New York - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
10th October New York - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
11th October New York - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
14th October New York - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
16th October Philadelphia - Wachovia Center, Sold Out
17th October Philadelphia - Wachovia Center, Sold Out
19th October Washington - DC MCI Center, Sold Out
20th October Washington - DC MCI Center, Sold Out
22nd October Pittsburgh - Mellon Arena, Sold Out
24th October Detroit - Palace of Auburn Hills, Sold Out
25th October Detroit - Palace of Auburn Hills, Sold Out
28th October Houston - Toyota Center, Sold Out
29th October Dallas - American Airlines Center, Sold Out

01st November Los Angeles - Staples Center, Sold Out
02nd November Los Angeles - Staples Center, Sold Out
04th November Las Vegas - MGM Grand
05th November Las Vegas - MGM Grand, Sold Out
08th November San Francisco - Oakland Arena, Sold Out
09th November San Francisco - Oakland Arena, Sold Out
13th November Miami - American Airlines Arena, Sold Out
14th November Miami - American Airlines Arena, Sold Out
16th November Tampa - St. Pete Times Forum, Sold Out
18th November Atlanta - Philips Arena, Sold Out
19th November Atlanta - Philips Arena, Sold Out
21st November, New York - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden, Sold Out
25th November Ottawa - Corel Centre, Sold Out
26th November Montreal - Bell Centre, Sold Out
28th November Montreal - Bell Centre, Sold Out

04th December, Boston, TD Banknorth Garden, Sold Out
05th December, Boston, TD Banknorth Garden, Sold Out
07th December Hartford - Civic Center, Sold Out
09th December Buffalo - HSBC Arena, Sold Out
10th December Cleveland - Gund Arena, Sold Out
12th December Charlotte - Charlotte Arena, Sold Out
14th December St. Louis - Savvis Center, Sold Out
15th December Omaha - Qwest Center, Sold Out
17th December Salt Lake City - Delta Center, Sold Out
19th December Portland - Rose Garden, Sold Out

June 25th, 2005 09:29 AM
Honky Tonk Man All I'm going to add to this thread is that U2 seem to have some fairly decent opening acts. I just hope The Stones take note for when they hit London. So far in the US, they're not taking note. Joss Stone, Black Eyed Peas and Maroon 5? These are all pop acts and awful ones at that.

All those lucky Glaswegian bastards heading off to see U2 have Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. There’s a slight difference.
June 25th, 2005 09:30 AM
jb Truly a sad state of affairs when cock-suckers like Cold Play call U2 the greatest band in the world.....they have 4-5 good songs....period...and Bono is a fat, wig wearing . twat,
June 25th, 2005 09:37 AM
Nellcote I'll give this thread a big Nancy Kerrigan "WHY"?
June 25th, 2005 09:42 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
jb wrote:
Truly a sad state of affairs when cock-suckers like Cold Play call U2 the greatest band in the world.....they have 4-5 good songs....period...and Bono is a fat, wig wearing . twat,

AGREED JOSH!

I'm firmly in the Coldplay hating camp. I cannot believe that I lowered myself to see them in concert. I fell asleep and left before the end too. What a whining tosser Chris Martin is. What annoys me most is when he always plays down they're music. It's blatantly a ploy to get folks to turn round and say... "No, wait man. This songs really good!" He's an egotistic, attention seeking fuckwit who should be shot at point blank range

Bono should just be shot. I don't feel I need an excuse there.
June 25th, 2005 09:42 AM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I'll give this thread a big Nancy Kerrigan "WHY"?

We have been humiliated and those who support U2 must not post anymore........they have contributed to the decline of the Stones.
June 25th, 2005 10:11 AM
Nellcote JB, in all fairness, as much as I think every incarnation of the Stones is the best thing since sliced bread, several things become apparant:

Other bands come along with a fan base whom has followed them since their inception that are as rabid if not more so than Stones fans for the simple reason that Stones fans are that much older and evolution is becoming part of the process.

In other words, some might say, meet the new boss.

You just need to keep us on the straight & narrow about what we need to do to exceed that Voodoo Lounge gross.

BTW, I'm still not in possession of the dossier from you for the meet/greet @ Fenway, the home of the 1st place Red Sox, 2004 World Champions. Have your people contact mine by 07/01/05, or you may be left off. Pug has the details..
Roostah, Glencar have decided Fenway is too trauma filled..
June 25th, 2005 10:24 AM
LadyJane Hey Nelly...I'll be at Fenway. What's the plan?? PM me.

Can't wait to meet ya!!!

LJ.
June 25th, 2005 10:40 AM
gimmekeef What kind of demented thinking has someone saying that if you like another band (U2) you shouldnt post here?...Get a grip!
June 25th, 2005 10:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
We have been humiliated and those who support U2 must not post anymore........they have contributed to the decline of the Stones.

"we" ? The only person intent on self-humiliation is yourself.

maybe in the interest of fairness, you should boycott posting here if it bothers you that much, seeing as I went to see them this week

Maybe if the Stones halved their ticket prices instead of being such greedy bastards intent on bankrupting their fans, it would help

Maybe if they released a record more than once every decade, it may help.

and uh, maybe if they had been born in Dublin, they might also sell a quarter of a million tickets there. (see Springsteen/New Jersey for a similar comparison)

Only one group of people to blame for any 'decline'. here's a clue - there's four of them in the group and they're English.(and no, its not the Spice Girls..)
June 25th, 2005 10:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Truly a sad state of affairs when cock-suckers like Cold Play call U2 the greatest band in the world.....

Based on their musical content, who would YOU call the 'greatest rock n roll band in the world' at the minute?

As the Stones have released 4 songs in the last 7 1/2 years - none of them particularly good - and you seem to think they have been shite for the last 30 years, your answer should be quite interesting
June 25th, 2005 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Based on their musical content, who would YOU call the 'greatest rock n roll band in the world' at the minute?

As the Stones have released 4 songs in the last 7 1/2 years - none of them particularly good - and you seem to think they have been shite for the last 30 years, your answer should be quite interesting

And what U2 has released is better? Vertigo-total rubbish ..........it is clearly a case of Bono using politics to make himself/band bigger than life, and sadly, most people are too ignorant to see it. This is why I say the young people today, for the most part, shall not succeed. Rather than beleiving in a free market, they , like Bono, want everyone to bail them out....At least the Stones, by and large, stay out of politics...
June 25th, 2005 11:34 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
maybe in the interest of fairness, you should boycott posting here if it bothers you that much, seeing as I went to see them this week

June 25th, 2005 11:41 AM
jb
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Why must my so-called friends humiliate me? Why?
June 25th, 2005 11:56 AM
Lethargy I honestly think it's largely due to the ticket price situation. I don't recall the exact U2 ticket prices, but I do remember they are significantly less than Stones tickets. By a HUGE margin. At some point, a huge segment of possible stones-concert-goers really does get priced out of the market, and it's definitely true this time around. The Stones could sell out every venue, instantly, if the tickets were more affordable.
June 25th, 2005 11:59 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
jb wrote:

LOL jb, we are not humiliating you, in my particular case just laughing about this comment and Gazza's reply to it: "We have been humiliated and those who support U2 must not post anymore........they have contributed to the decline of the Stones."

That doesn't make sense

1.- Why someone who supports or simply buys tix to go to a non-stones show must not post here?

2.- The decline of the Stones? wow!

3.- How those spending money to go to a non-stones show contribute to a decline (if any) then those who go to see "Batman" or flying to Cancun are in the same position. Maybe those not buying tix to go to see the stones or not buying official stuff can do it but the stones are far from a "decline"

Josh, baby... please reply these three questions if you can. Nobody is humiliating you or someone else just replying accordingly
June 25th, 2005 12:07 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:

jb did you see the new Jessia Simpson "Dukes Of Hazzard" video? GOOD LORD!!

She is in a pink bikini washing the General Lee

A must see

Oddly, Willie Nelson is in the video

Thank me later
June 25th, 2005 12:12 PM
jb
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

LOL jb, we are not humiliating you, in my particular case just laughing about this comment and Gazza's reply to it: "We have been humiliated and those who support U2 must not post anymore........they have contributed to the decline of the Stones."

That doesn't make sense

1.- Why someone who supports or simply buys tix to go to a non-stones show must not post here?

2.- The decline of the Stones? wow!

3.- How those spending money to go to a non-stones show contribute to a decline (if any) then those who go to see "Batman" or flying to Cancun are in the same position. Maybe those not buying tix to go to see the stones or not buying official stuff can do it but the stones are far from a "decline"

Josh, baby... please reply these three questions if you can. Nobody is humiliating you or someone else just replying accordingly

1)By allowing those to post who support U2 we diminish the integrity of the board. We want 100% loyalty to the cause.
2)Diminished ticket sales, diminished legacy, virtually ignored by today's young people, made fun of by penis' like Leno and Letterman, and generally n ot given the credit for what they contributed to music when compared to Beatles/U2.
3)We don't compete with Batman or travel destinations. U2 is a competitor who has overtaken us as the greatest band of all time . The Stones fans lacke the passion, will, and desire to allow us to regain the throne.
[Edited by jb]
June 25th, 2005 12:13 PM
Nellcote JB, Humiliation is admitting to actually speaking to the mother of all frauds-Dan Marino.
Come to Fenway!!
June 25th, 2005 12:16 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
JB, Humiliation is admitting to actually speaking to the mother of all frauds-Dan Marino.
Come to Fenway!!

Still holds must of the records and manning would not have broken TD's but for 8 indoor games and a fast playing field. Not to mention a great running back and probably 15 TD's of 5 yards or less.
I may come to Fenway if security is arranged with Pug...I need 1 ticket in the first 5 rows for 2k.....................P.S.-the Marlins have 2 Championships in less than 10 years, 1972 17-0 perfect season will never be topped, and Heat will win championship next year.
June 25th, 2005 12:22 PM
kath i think it was the "us" part....i certainly don't feel humiliated.

June 25th, 2005 12:25 PM
Nellcote Yes, but his analysis on CBS is dreadful.
He actually thought Pittsburgh would beat NE in the Champ round last year, but he's a homer...
Yes, you are correct sir The Marlins gave a major can of Whop-ass on the Yanks, which was, well Wicked Pissa.
Pavano should have taken home town discount, and stayed..
Anyways, this obsession with U2 is disturbing.
Keith thinks they are cool, he recorded with them on Sun City in the 80's...
Face it, they are not going away...
June 25th, 2005 12:32 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Yes, but his analysis on CBS is dreadful.
He actually thought Pittsburgh would beat NE in the Champ round last year, but he's a homer...
Yes, you are correct sir The Marlins gave a major can of Whop-ass on the Yanks, which was, well Wicked Pissa.
Pavano should have taken home town discount, and stayed..
Anyways, this obsession with U2 is disturbing.
Keith thinks they are cool, he recorded with them on Sun City in the 80's...
Face it, they are not going away...

I don't think they were a threatin the 80's...sadly, unlike most 80's acts, they did not fade away, but became even stronger...a real lack of musical insight by the masses.
June 25th, 2005 12:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
And what U2 has released is better? Vertigo-total rubbish ..........

In the last eight years??

I could name you a hundred acts who have released better material than the Stones in the last eight years -
because the Stones have released next to fuck all

You dont stay a great band by being lazy and stopping making records

If U2 or anyone else have released even ONE very good song in that time, its still one better than the number the Stones have released
June 25th, 2005 12:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

1)By allowing those to post who support U2 we diminish the integrity of the board. We want 100% loyalty to the cause.

how old are you? 4?

Do you only allow Stones records in your house?

Every member of the Stones with the exception of Charlie Watts has worked with U2. So, I guess by your logic, Mick, keith and Ronnie should now leave the band

What the fuck do YOU know about loyalty? The same 'loyalty' where you call Keith "an embarrassment" and Ronnie "a fucking wanker".. who "should have been terminated in 1981" ?

June 25th, 2005 01:05 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Finally I got whet did you mean by "overpaid" in jb's avatar footer legend... we are over paying attention to non-sense posting
June 25th, 2005 01:12 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

how old are you? 4?

Do you only allow Stones records in your house?

Every member of the Stones with the exception of Charlie Watts has worked with U2. So, I guess by your logic, Mick, keith and Ronnie should now leave the band

What the fuck do YOU know about loyalty? The same 'loyalty' where you call Keith "an embarrassment" and Ronnie "a fucking wanker".. who "should have been terminated in 1981" ?
Gazza, we(Stones fanatics) have a right to criticize. I agree with much of what you say. I have not enjoyed an album since VL....but do we really need to be taunted by the U2 fan?

June 25th, 2005 01:29 PM
Gazza Josh, theres a certain irony in someone of your religious background suggesting a fascist-style policy on this board of not allowing positive comments about a certain band just because they sell more records than the Stones (who dont release new records anyway, but thats another issue) and who sell almost as many concert tickets and who gross almost as much money.

U2 played four shows this week within 90 minutes of where I happen to live. The Stones didnt and wont do for another year. Whilst I know the whole thread is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the two tours dont compete for my credit card at the minute because one, as far as I'm concerned, hasnt got anywhere near close to starting.

Besides, going to New York to see two Stones shows costs me about £750 for travel and half decent tickets, excluding spending money (thankfully I have somewhere to stay otherwise I wouldnt even consider it)

A night in Glasgow this week, plus flight plus category A concert ticket cost me £150.

Loyalty is a two way street, boy...
June 25th, 2005 01:44 PM
PeerQueer I like U2 - good band, and I miss Ireland dearly. Amazing how such small country has had such a significant impact on Western culture. And doesn't dear Ronnie make Ireland his home?

...But I looooooooooooove the Stones baby! And I am quite hopeful regarding this new release, new tour, new attitude. I hear the boys are just a bit more thankful for what they have, given recent health scares and such. This next outing might be the most sincere offering we have had from them for some time.

And if you haven't ever seen U2, I suggest you do - they put on an excellent show. And if you have never seen them play Dublin, well, it's akin to Bruce in Jersey. I've done both a number of times over the years, and it's great stuff - unforgetable really.

On a sidenote dear JB, if in fact you reside in Florida and practice law, I am thinking of purchasing property in South Florida as I have enjoyed many a great time there over the years, both naughty and nice - any recommendations? --And what firm are you with? My uncle practiced law in Florida for nearly 20 years before moving last year back to Carmel to retire. I would be curious if he knows of it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)