ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 humiliating us in sales Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
June 26th, 2005 09:25 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Try hard. I saw Bono (wearing his Sunglasses of course) interviewed by Tim Russert on Meet the Press this Sunday am.

Russert is a fat phony...he is an elitist who tries to come off as a regular guy..you know dam well he voted for Bush.
June 26th, 2005 09:43 PM
Nellcote JB, the english police posted a wanted poster for you for that last comment.
Dam is a physical device meant to hold back water
I think you meant to say "damn", correct?
Try to follow the rules in the future, please.
Let's make this a kindler, gentler place to visit!
Oh, and BTW, Tim Russett's father is a swell guy..
June 26th, 2005 10:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Bush, G8 leaders have 'historic' chance to reduce global poverty: Bono

WASHINGTON : Pop superstar Bono on Sunday urged global leaders at the upcoming G8 summit -- especially US President George W. Bush -- to offer a generous aid package that can bring about a "historic breakthrough" for the world's most impoverished people.

"Those of us who have been working on development issues -- and Africa in particular -- are holding out that this could be a historic breakthrough, a real sea change on issues facing the poorest of the poor," the Irish rock singer told NBC's television's "Meet the Press" program.

The lead singer of the group U2 has organized a series of concerts around the world, culminating in a massive concert to be held in Scotland on the margins of the meeting.

"The G8 is such a big thing here in Europe. I know it used to be in the United States. I mean, in Europe it's like the Super Bowl," said Bono, speaking from Dublin.

"You know, you get the eight most powerful men in the world meeting someplace -- in this case, on a golf course in Gleneagles, Scotland -- and people wonder what will come out of it? Is it just a talking shop? Or, in this case, is there a chance for history?" he said.

One key will be to convince the United States to be more generous with its aid, Bono said.

"The most important and toughest nut is still President Bush. He feels he's already doubled and tripled aid to Africa, which he has. But he started from far too low a place," he said.

"He can stand there and say he paid at the office already. He shouldn't, because he'll be left out of the history books. But it's hard for him because of the expense of the war and the debts."

Bono continued: "If he, though, in his second term, is as bold in his commitments to Africa as he was in the first term, he indeed deserves a place in history, in turning the fate of that continent around.

"If he doesn't, I fear that even the good work that he has started will be forgotten by history."

The elite group's president for this year, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, has put problems in Africa at the very top of the agenda for the G8 summit from July 4-6. - AFP /dt

June 26th, 2005 11:50 PM
chevysales
quote:
keith_tif wrote:
U2 are boring and logically U2's fans are boring!

I have got many U2s' albums but i don't listen them! I listen every days many Stones' album!

For me the best U2s' album is POP. On this album they took risks, the others are rubish!!

try giving "achtung(sp) baby" another listen.

June 27th, 2005 03:28 AM
keith_tif
quote:
Gazza wrote:

why the fuck do you buy "many" albums of a band who you think are "boring" ?

I'd call that "pretty stupid".

By definition, doesnt buying "many albums" make you a "fan" and therefore...er, "boring"?

Gazza: if i understood you, you still listen all records you bought! I've got about 500 albums, so i should choice and in my choice STONES are number one!

For me U2 is not a rock band but a "baba cool" band like Joan Baez (very good artist)!))) Their message is PEACE AND LOVE and not SEX DRUG AND ROCK'N ROLL! BONO should made politics!! Like Bianca!

June 27th, 2005 04:03 AM
Poplar
music don't have to be so black & white, my friend.

June 27th, 2005 05:08 AM
Gazza
quote:
keith_tif wrote:

Gazza: if i understood you, you still listen all records you bought!

no, but I dont keep buying albums by bands I dont like and who I think are boring
June 27th, 2005 06:55 AM
Jumping Jack Why are we wasting time and money on a continent of people too ignorant to even wear condoms? They deserve their fate for being completely irresponsible. When they begin trying to help themselves then perhaps they world should chip in. Until then it is wasted money than could be better utilized in other parts of the world.
June 27th, 2005 07:33 AM
jb
quote:
keith_tif wrote:

Gazza: if i understood you, you still listen all records you bought! I've got about 500 albums, so i should choice and in my choice STONES are number one!

For me U2 is not a rock band but a "baba cool" band like Joan Baez (very good artist)!))) Their message is PEACE AND LOVE and not SEX DRUG AND ROCK'N ROLL! BONO should made politics!! Like Bianca!

Have to agree..........
June 27th, 2005 08:02 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Why are we wasting time and money on a continent of people too ignorant to even wear condoms? They deserve their fate for being completely irresponsible. When they begin trying to help themselves then perhaps they world should chip in. Until then it is wasted money than could be better utilized in other parts of the world.

children "deserve" to starve to death due to a lack of proper education?

fantastically argued...

June 27th, 2005 08:55 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Why are we wasting time and money on a continent of people too ignorant to even wear condoms? They deserve their fate for being completely irresponsible. When they begin trying to help themselves then perhaps they world should chip in. Until then it is wasted money than could be better utilized in other parts of the world.

I hope this statement is only an extremely warped form of humour?

Because if it's not, you should try learning a little about the issues at debate before ranting on them.
June 27th, 2005 09:08 AM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Corgi, do you despise the Eagles?

W- W- W- W- What ?!?!

June 27th, 2005 09:22 AM
Jumping Jack To the hypocritical bleeding hearts out there I ask why you are spending $450 on Stones tickets and $250 on U2 tickets when there are starving people in the world?

It seems you only want to feed them with someone else's tax money.

How much of U2's concert take is going to feed poor people? Will Cohl be donating his fee?

Instead of giving away money and food, the limited resources would be better spent on the root cause, the corrupt regimes that profit from the status quo including the UN.

And BTW, throwing money at the AIDS epidemic in Africa hasn't helped and won't help until the population learns to change it's behavior and help themselves.
June 27th, 2005 09:48 AM
corgi37 Well, it doesnt help having the Pope go to Africa and tell them they will all go to hell if they use condoms.

Doesnt help if Nigerira, potentially one of the richest nations on Earth, has a majority population that is uneducated and starving. I read today Nigeria's past couple of despots looted the coffers by up to $52billion.

Doesnt help that Mugabe is a fucking nutcase, but STILL a hero to many. Not to the poor bastards who supported him and now face starvation, but to half witted lefties in Universities, living off Daddies allowance, and saying "Sure, Zimbabweans are dying, but they die FREE PEOPLE!

Doesnt help that most of the stuff Live Aid bought was either stolen, "went missing", was taken up in "Admin fees" or just simply, not used.

What is the frigging point of the upcoming Live8 shows? Can some one tell me? Is it to make middle class people feel good?

The whole African continent reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Burns, Homer & Smithers go to Cuba with a $billion dollar note. Castro asks to see it. Monty hands it over, then asks for it back.

"What note?", Castro says.

Oh, and yeah, i fucking hate the Eagles. They were the 70's Beatles to my Stones.

Or was that Led Zep?
June 27th, 2005 10:17 AM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Well, it doesnt help having the Pope go to Africa and tell them they will all go to hell if they use condoms.

Doesnt help if Nigerira, potentially one of the richest nations on Earth, has a majority population that is uneducated and starving. I read today Nigeria's past couple of despots looted the coffers by up to $52billion.

Doesnt help that Mugabe is a fucking nutcase, but STILL a hero to many. Not to the poor bastards who supported him and now face starvation, but to half witted lefties in Universities, living off Daddies allowance, and saying "Sure, Zimbabweans are dying, but they die FREE PEOPLE!

Doesnt help that most of the stuff Live Aid bought was either stolen, "went missing", was taken up in "Admin fees" or just simply, not used.

What is the frigging point of the upcoming Live8 shows? Can some one tell me? Is it to make middle class people feel good?

The whole African continent reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Burns, Homer & Smithers go to Cuba with a $billion dollar note. Castro asks to see it. Monty hands it over, then asks for it back.

"What note?", Castro says.

Oh, and yeah, i fucking hate the Eagles. They were the 70's Beatles to my Stones.

Or was that Led Zep?

Your analysis and conclusions reflect a deep thinking man who must be respected. You are still "King Corgi".
June 27th, 2005 10:25 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Your analysis and conclusions reflect a deep thinking man who must be respected. You are still "King Corgi".

Corgi must be feared and respected. He is truly the king!
June 27th, 2005 10:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
To the hypocritical bleeding hearts out there I ask why you are spending $450 on Stones tickets and $250 on U2 tickets when there are starving people in the world?

speak for yourself. I wont be. Partly for that reason.

Bit of a difference though in saying that people deserve their own fate due to a lack of education and/or exploitation by their own corrupt governments

[Edited by Gazza]
June 27th, 2005 10:46 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Bit of a difference though in saying that people deserve their own fate due to a lack of education and/or exploitation by their own corrupt governments

You raise an interesting point there my Irish / English Stonesian WebMaster .

I too have often reflected upon the magisterial and insouciant nature of the aristocracy . Indeed , with its misogynistic tendencies and misanthropic overtones , one can coalesce the vapors of ............................

************* END TRANSMISSION ****************
June 27th, 2005 10:47 AM
Gazza and on that bombshell.....
June 27th, 2005 11:02 AM
Voodoo Scrounge How the fuck did a thread about U2 and ticket sales ever turn into this. Starving Children?
June 27th, 2005 11:22 AM
Jumping Jack Because a twit like Bono uses the plight of starving children to enrich himself and promote his band while passing the burden of aid stolen by corrupt African and UN leaders on to innocent taxpayers.

At least Mick is honest enough to admit he is doing for the cash and his ego. Bono is a full of shit hypocrite willing to do good with other's money, not his own. I assure you he can afford it much more than than average taxpayers footing the bill.

He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
June 27th, 2005 11:23 AM
Gazza maybe we're all going to starve after buying Stones tickets...lol

June 27th, 2005 11:28 AM
glencar Do we know that Bono doesn't give away tons of money to starving people the world over? I'm not wild about his endless pontificating but it seems to me that he's always backed up his words with actions. His wife has started a clothing comapny that uses products made in Africa.
June 27th, 2005 12:15 PM
Gazza Charity is a private matter. What you, I, Bono, Mick Jagger or anyone does or doesnt donate to charity is their own business or a matter for their own conscience

to actually come out and say publicly you give xxx % of your income to charity is something that (in this part of the world anyway) is regarded as crass, vulgar and self-serving.

He was actually interviewed on Irish TV on Saturday night about that very subject and said his main concern was more for justice than charity and that while he does obviously donate to charity, what he does give is his own business and that (I'm paraphrasing here) that if he WAS to publicly announce that he gave all of his wealth to charity he'd become an even bigger 'star' than he was now as a result, that wouldnt be the purpose and that "some people still wouldnt be satisfied until we arrived at Croke Park on the back of donkeys".
[Edited by Gazza]
June 27th, 2005 12:24 PM
glencar Celebrities here love to talk about what they donate. It's the cool thing to do.
June 27th, 2005 12:57 PM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Because a twit like Bono uses the plight of starving children to enrich himself and promote his band while passing the burden of aid stolen by corrupt African and UN leaders on to innocent taxpayers.

At least Mick is honest enough to admit he is doing for the cash and his ego. Bono is a full of shit hypocrite willing to do good with other's money, not his own. I assure you he can afford it much more than than average taxpayers footing the bill.

He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

yoU ARE 100% CORRET
June 27th, 2005 12:59 PM
glencar Perhaps those African dictators need to see the inside of a court.
June 27th, 2005 01:11 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Perhaps those African dictators need to see the inside of a court.

Toby?
June 27th, 2005 01:13 PM
glencar You got it!
June 27th, 2005 01:45 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
yoU ARE 100% CORRET

SIR ...........!!!!!!!!!!

( Ho ... Ho ..... Ho !!! )
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)