ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Fin Costello with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones for Slane Castle Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
21st March 2007 08:33 AM
Gazza Confirmed by Hot Press magazine

http://www.hotpress.com/news/2916293.html

dont know the date as the main article is subscribers-only but this event normally takes place late August, which would fit in with the time frame theyre expected to play in the UK

Could be an Alpha and Omega for me. It'd be ironic if the site of my first Stones show 25 years ago turned out to be my last one.
21st March 2007 08:35 AM
LadyJane Slane Castle?

that's it.
I'm robbing a bank.

LJ.
21st March 2007 09:25 AM
glencar I knew you could!
21st March 2007 09:55 AM
Jeep
21st March 2007 10:32 AM
gimmekeef Wide open...............
21st March 2007 10:41 AM
Saint Sway now THIS I'd go to!

The concerts they hold there always look nuts. Great crowds. Great country!!!
21st March 2007 10:41 AM
albert Wide open? don't think so. This picture is (by the looks from the tv screen) taken from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers DVD. And this is far from wide open!!

Gazza,

if they play Slane Castle I'll change my plans and come to Ireland instead of London!!

gr,
Albert
Holland
21st March 2007 10:42 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Jeep wrote:

Look at that beautiful Castle.

***********************sigh***************************

LJ.
21st March 2007 10:46 AM
Jeep Don't be late or take some binoculars !

21st March 2007 10:52 AM
albert From the Slane Castle website (www.slanecastle.ie) (2006!):

Lord Mount Charles and MCD announced today that there will not be a conert in Slane Castle this year. They did not consider that there was a suitable act available for the venue. Plans are already underway for next years famous rock concert at Slane Castle and it promises to be one of the best yet! Keep checking back here for more details.

Ok so it is "One of the best yet!" : must be the Stones, don't you think?!!

gr,
Albert
Holland
21st March 2007 10:55 AM
albert This I found on the wikipedia website:

In December 2006, The Daily Mirror anounced that AC/DC will be headlining the 2007 concert. This conflicts with an Irish tabloid, that state the Rolling Stones will headline this year's event

gr,
Albert
Holland
21st March 2007 11:02 AM
LadyJane Could be BOTH!!!!!!!!!!

LJ.
21st March 2007 11:10 AM
Bitch Thanks for the scoop Gazza! Looks cool, and could you tell us what kind of a place this is, is it easy to travel to and find hotels in that area?
21st March 2007 11:12 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Bitch wrote:
is it easy to travel to and find hotels in that area?

I am a Saint so I can sleep in the castle.

you are welcome to stay with me as my personal guests

word
21st March 2007 11:24 AM
albert Saint Sway: might keep you on your word..........
21st March 2007 11:31 AM
albert Ten minutes ago I send an e-mail to Slan Castle. Just got an instant reply from slane castle concerning the date of the concert (didn't expect an answer......):

Hello Albert,

Its is scheduled for August 18th although no official date has been confirmed.

Regards,

Rhonda

Imthorn, Albert wrote:
> Due to holiday planning I would like to know if you can give me the
> exact date of the 2007 concert.
> You would help me a great deal with it!!
>
> gr,
> Albert Imthorn
> Holland
21st March 2007 11:32 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Don't be late or take some binoculars !

No kidding. It's great news that they're playing Ireland, but it looks like if you hit this show you'd damn well better be up front.
21st March 2007 11:36 AM
PartyDoll MEG Found this: http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/27209

The Rolling Stones set for Slane Castle
Big Dublin shows planned for summer
2 hours ago
The Rolling Stones are set to play this year's Slane Castle Festival on August 18.

The band - who were the biggest grossing live act in the world last year - played their last outdoor gig in Ireland in 1982, when they headlined Slane.

They had been scheduled to bring their 'A Bigger Bang' tour to Phoenix Park in 2006, but were forced to cancel as the result of a legal row between rival promoters MCD and Aiken Promotions.

There are also strong rumours that Slane will stage a second major gig at the same venue in September. According to reports, efforts are being made to bring The Police to Slane Castle on September 1.

Should this happen, then it will be the first time in the venue's history that it staged two gigs by two different headliners in the same year.

Madonna was the last act to headline the 80,000 capacity venue, appearing there in 2004.

A concert by Eminem was cancelled in 2005 with only weeks to go and is now the subject of legal action.

Previous headliners have included REM, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and U2, while The Verve played their final ever gig at the venue in 1998.

21st March 2007 12:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
The Rolling Stones are set to play this year's Slane Castle Festival on August 18.

There ya go, Glencar. Sorted!
21st March 2007 12:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Don't be late or take some binoculars !

I wouldnt go by that. The venue is a natural ampitheatre. Its a terrific setting and as far as 'field' shows go, its as ideal a venue as you'll get
21st March 2007 12:40 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Thanks for the scoop Gazza! Looks cool, and could you tell us what kind of a place this is, is it easy to travel to and find hotels in that area?

Its a stately home, owned by the (English) Mountcharles family. The show takes place in the castle grounds, with the River Boyne behind the stage.

There have been shows there most years since 1981. The Stones played there in 1982, which was the first really "mega" show at the venue. U2 and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have both filmed concert DVDs there.

Hotels ? Hah. Slane is a village of about 800 people about 25 miles inland to the north west of Dublin. However, for concerts there are buses laid on from all parts of Ireland to transport fans to and from the concert.

Very historic place indeed
Details of the village - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane
Info on the castle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Castle
And on the history of the concerts - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert

Crowd attendances are usually around 65-80,000. It ALWAYS sells out. The Stones will be no exception. The Stones have only visited Ireland twice since 1965 - Slane in 1982 and the two Dublin shows at the Point Theatre in 2003 when they sold all 16,000 tickets in four minutes. So, basically the vast majority of the last two generations of Stones fans in Ireland only had a chance to see them 25 years ago.
21st March 2007 12:42 PM
Dan
quote:
albert wrote:
This I found on the wikipedia website:

In December 2006, The Daily Mirror anounced that AC/DC will be headlining the 2007 concert. This conflicts with an Irish tabloid, that state the Rolling Stones will headline this year's event

gr,
Albert
Holland

I don't think AC/DC is going to tour this year either.
21st March 2007 12:55 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Confirmed by Hot Press magazine

http://www.hotpress.com/news/2916293.html

dont know the date as the main article is subscribers-only but this event normally takes place late August, which would fit in with the time frame theyre expected to play in the UK

Could be an Alpha and Omega for me. It'd be ironic if the site of my first Stones show 25 years ago turned out to be my last one.

I'm so pleased you're getting this show, Gazza. Good on ya!
21st March 2007 01:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

I'm so pleased you're getting this show, Gazza. Good on ya!

They should play Belfast instead, but I'll take it. I prefer it to the alternate Dublin venues of Phoenix Park (last years venue, which was cancelled) or the rumoured show for this year at Croke Park.

Its really become a 'festival' now more than a tour stop, so it tends to attract the 'cream' of Ireland's teenage drunks, which is a minor drawback, but it should still be a good day out - if the weather holds.
21st March 2007 01:12 PM
Gazza A few snaps from down memory lane, by Denis O'Regan

Mick warming up!

(I was RIGHT down front..)

[Edited by Gazza]
21st March 2007 01:14 PM
Saint Sway "man look at all those people!"
21st March 2007 01:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
Dan wrote:

I don't think AC/DC is going to tour this year either.

Rumour had it months ago that ACDC and the Foo Fighters would headline, but there has never been any substance to this, especially as AC DC havent even indicated they'll be touring ANYWHERE.

The Slane line-up is usually announced before now, so that coupled with the delay in the Stones tour announcement made it one that made sense. There is talk of a show by The Police at the venue two weeks after the Stones, which would mean this is the first time there have been two shows by difefrent acts there in one year.

Worth mentioning too that this bodes well for extra UK shows. With the Stones playing Slane on Saturday August 18 and almost certainly Wembley the following weekend, it would be natural to hope for a couple of British shows in between. Lets hope theyre indoors.

Edit : I notice that IORR's tour rumours page have changed the venue for 25/8/07 from "Wembley Stadium" to "Wembley Arena". Maybe we'll get a string of indoor shows to close the tour instead
[Edited by Gazza]
21st March 2007 01:31 PM
gimmekeef God I can only imagine how much the "In Castle" seats will be!....Guest room....wench...and booze...only $35,000!!!
21st March 2007 01:36 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
God I can only imagine how much the "In Castle" seats will be!....Guest room....wench...and booze...only $35,000!!!

^ YOU ARE ON FIRE!!!!!!!
21st March 2007 01:42 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

A few snaps from down memory lane, by Denis O'Regan

Mick warming up!

On behalf of all the women on the board, I thank you!

quote:
Gazza wrote:

(I was RIGHT down front..)

You bastard!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)