ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Foro Sol, México City, D. F. 26th February 2006
© and thanks to Poncho Rico!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: One year from today... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
8th November 2007 10:32 PM
robpop
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

If I were president...I would build a big ass bonfire in Gary, Indiana...the biggest the world has ever seen...all Americans would be invited...Correction, all americans would be compelled to come...there would be beer and potato salad for all...lotsa porta potties...no waiting...live musical acts abound...puppet shows for the children...bingo for the elderly...we would talk...laugh, cry...all that stuff...then...at precisely midnight, on the third day, I would abruptly and emphatically call an end to the festivities and ask everyone to leave...I would then, at 6:00 a.m. that morning, issue an executive order to kill any person within the continental United States outside of a 10 mile radius from Gary, Indiana...that would leave alive, in my estimation, only the fine Americans who had stayed after the party to help clean up...and perhaps a few people who couldn't remember where they parked their car...all the others?...dead...it is with this hearty stock of after-hangers I would rebuild the country...

Never work. Gary, In? Bonfire? Impossible. All flamables were burned last week on devil's night.
8th November 2007 11:06 PM
pdog
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Name the convicted cabinent members of Clinton's administration. I can't either.

Name the felons appointed to positions by Dubya's administration . . . . give up?
1 Elliott Abrams
2 John Poindexter

Remember how semantics played such a big part in the scooter episiode with talking heads?
Let's not forget what really happened... oh wait, we better, since the act of outting a CIA agent is treason, and in a time of war, punishable by death, yes death... Too bad... Dick would've looked so nice swinging with his buddy Saddam...
8th November 2007 11:20 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:

Remember how semantics played such a big part in the scooter episiode with talking heads?
Let's not forget what really happened... oh wait, we better, since the act of outting a CIA agent is treason, and in a time of war, punishable by death, yes death... Too bad... Dick would've looked so nice swinging with his buddy Saddam...

pdog you say that as if Dick Cheney had something to do with "outing" that media whore Valerie Palme! He didn't have a damn thing to do with it! Nor did Scooter Libby for that matter. No, it was Richard Armitage that "leaked" her name to Bob Novak. Armitage was no fan of Cheney's or Bush's for that matter. Not that it really matters. According to Novak, and many other DC reporters, Plame's CIA status was an open secret to everyone inside the "beltway"..

There are only two confirmed liars in that whole sorid tale. They are Valerie Plame, and her husband Joe Wilson. They could have both been brought up on charges of perjury btw. It didn't happen though. That bird has flown.

Oh, and if we are gonna talk about corrupt administrations W ain't got shit on Bubba!

The Clinton Legacy

The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- First president to be held in contempt of court
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court

*47 individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine were convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes with 33 of these occurring during the Clinton administration itself. There were in addition 61 indictments or misdemeanor charges. 14 persons were imprisoned. A key difference between the Clinton story and earlier ones (Nixon-Watergate and Reagan-Iran Contra) was the number of criminals with whom he was associated before entering the White House.

Riffy
8th November 2007 11:25 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:

If this was a democrat, like say a Clinton, it would be outrageous, since it's a 3 time married, lived with two fags, sued gun manufacturers, pro-choice and suffers from 911 tourets syndrome Republican, no big deal...

No way I could vote for him or even feel I could trust him regardless of what he says to try to get elected. Romney is the biggest phony in the whole race, maybe he can still buy the nomination though. Huckabee is gaining steam, I like him a lot more on a personal level at least, I have been hearing him on CSPAN for over a year now and also now on XM's "POTUS."

I will probably just go third party because most of these people repulse me.
8th November 2007 11:36 PM
monkey_man Who is Richard Mellon Scaife?

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/04/27/scaife.profile/

WASHINGTON (April 27) -- Who is Richard Scaife? He's a 65-year-old billionaire Republican wielding power from the shadows.

According to President Bill Clinton's allies, he's the main money man behind a right-wing anti-Clinton conspiracy, attacking with his money. Former White House counsel Lanny Davis argues, "He's using it to destroy a president of the United States."

If it's a conspiracy, it's a pretty open one. Scaife's tax-exempt foundations disclose their grants on the Web. Among them: $2.4 million over several years to American Spectator to pay for anti-Clinton reporting, even a private eye to dig up dirt. And millions more went to other anti-Clinton groups.

He refused CNN's request for an interview, but this much is undisputed: Richard Mellon Scaife is very rich and very partisan.

He was born to great wealth, the great grand-nephew of Andrew Mellon, growing up in Pittsburgh at the family's opulent home, Penguin Court. Often in the care of servants, his hobby was reading newspapers.

Burton Hersh, author of "The Mellon Family," said, "Even as a child, he always saw the correlation between the media and the reputation of politicians. That's certainly been a sub-theme of his life."

Today he owns a newspaper, Pittsburgh's second largest, the Tribune-Review. But he has made his main mark not as a media baron, but by financing Republican politics.

He was the second-largest donor to the Nixon-Agnew campaign in 1972, giving $1 million.

Former President Ronald Reagan appointed many veterans of Scaife-funded think tanks to his administration.

Later, Scaife gave to GOPAC, the political fund that helped make Newt Gingrich speaker in 1994. Gingrich says Scaife's money laid the basis for modern conservatism. And his money still flows:

To the Heritage Foundation alone, nearly $3.5 million from Scaife foundations in the most recent three years on record.

$1.22 million to the American Enterprise Institute.

$1.40 million to Stanford University's Hoover Institution.

$325,000 to the Cato Institute.

$575,000 to the Citizens for a Sound Economy, among others.

Scaife has particular contempt for the Clintons. At a Heritage Foundation event in November 1994, Scaife said, "I think maybe Hillary and company have it figured out right. They wouldn't be happy here."

Scaife's foundations shovel millions into groups hostile to Bill Clinton. The Free Congress Foundation, which runs a conservative cable channel, received $1.9 million from 1994 to 1996.

Hollywood's Center for the Study of Public Culture, which sees liberal bias in the movies, got nearly $1.8 million. Accuracy in Media, a group still promoting the idea that Clinton aide Vince Foster may have been murdered, got $675,000.

At Scaife's newspaper his reporter Christopher Ruddy doggedly pursues the Foster case. And when Ruddy's book, "The Strange Death of Vincent Foster," got a bad write-up in the American Spectator, saying Ruddy sounded like a "right-wing nut," Scaife cut off the magazine's money.

American Spectator Editor-In-Chief R. Emmett Tyrrell Jr. said, "Dick was angered by the review. And called me and said he didn't care to support the American Spectator any further."

The Spectator used most of Scaife's money for what was called "the Arkansas project." Through an Arkansas bait shop, Spectator operatives kept in touch with Clinton accuser David Hale, even supplying Hale with $200 to make phone calls from prison.

Now Independent Counsel Ken Starr is investigating possible illegal witness-tampering, because a woman and her son say Hale got even more of Scaife's money, something the Spectator denies.

Tyrrell said, "No, we have no evidence that money went to Hale. In fact, if money went to Hale from my people they'd be in big trouble."

Some Clinton allies say Starr himself may have a conflict because of Scaife money. Scaife has given nearly $13 million over the last 36 years to Pepperdine University, which offered Starr a job.

But Pepperdine, Scaife and Starr all deny any connection. "I have never met him. I have never talked to him. I have had no arrangement -- implicit, explicit, direct or indirect -- with him," Starr said this month when announcing he would not take the Pepperdine position.

To his detractors, Scaife is spoiled, vindictive, narrow-minded.

A former Scaife employee, Pat Minarcin, said, "He has the emotional maturity of a very angry 12-year-old, and he has all this money and he can do whatever he wants with it."

In Pittsburgh, Minarcin edited a magazine for Scaife, but resigned. "He [Scaife] presented a list of people who he wanted the magazine to attack, a kind of enemies list," Minarcin said

Scaife's defenders say he's a gentleman, exercising his First Amendment right to speak out. William Bennett, who sits on the board of one Scaife foundation, said, "It's a free country; the conservatives can give to conservative causes, liberals to liberal causes."

And supporters point to his philanthropy. He's given millions to support an art gallery named for his mother and millions for historic preservation projects like Pittsburgh's Station Square.

Scaife heightens suspicions by operating in extreme privacy, from the 39th floor of his Pittsburgh office tower, with no interviews and no cameras.

Former White House counsel Davis said, "I think it's the mystery, the man behind the scenes pulling the strings and that's the scene we all remember at the end of the Wizard of Oz."

Is Richard Scaife great and powerful or just the man behind the curtain?

That's a matter of opinion. But it is a fact this billionaire has spent millions in tax-free money attacking the current occupants of the White House.
9th November 2007 02:32 PM
gimmekeef Hillary's qualifications may be sorely lacking..as are all those running in my mind.(A gaggle of fuckwads?).The reason she may actually win is people are sick after 8 years of Republican rule.You can debate whether thats fair or not..but its a political reality the GOP created and now must manuever around.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)