ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

MGM Grand - Las Vegas ,NV - 11th November 2006
© Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MGM Grand - Las Vegas ,NV - 11th November 2006 - Setlist, Photos, Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
13th November 2006 04:37 PM
Poplar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
do you recall what song that was? Looks like a monster Keef Riff was just unleashed

99% sure that's JJF. He was an animal. And whoever said it was right, he NEVER let up.
[Edited by Poplar]
13th November 2006 04:44 PM
Bitch Congrats Poplar for your 2000th post!
13th November 2006 04:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
BTW anyone see Pug at the show?

13th November 2006 05:03 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Ok, let's try again..

SWEET VIRGINIA: those pictures are absolutely amazing, thrilled you posted them, thanks, and I have to say that your pictures always seem to have that extra "umpf", and (without intending to take anything away from the photographer's eye for a damn good shot ) may I just ask which type of camera you use??? Is it one of those really big ones with interchangeable lenses, or a compact little affair???? Wish I could ever shoot like that....

Thanks, jostorm! I use two small digitals: a Fuji Z1 and a Lumix LX2. The Lumix has a bigger zoom and a Leica lens, but it can get a little grainy and it's larger and hard to smuggle. The Fuji is very small and easy to bring in to a venue, but doesn't zoom as much. I shoot with no flash and lots of the pics come out blurry. Every now and then, though, I get something that captures the boys.

13th November 2006 05:06 PM
chevysales
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

I think Glencar is the only one with a pic of me from AC . . . I don't think he has posted any from the House of Blues that night. Thanks for the great pics you took! How did you get your camera past the metal detectors? BTW anyone see Pug at the show?
[Edited by monkey_man]

he didn't have a digi i don't think...if he had them develop on paper and a cd i will post his for him and do any cleaning up in photoshop if need be.
13th November 2006 05:11 PM
chevysales
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Thanks, jostorm! I use two small digitals: a Fuji Z1 and a Lumix LX2. The Lumix has a bigger zoom and a Leica lens, but it can get a little grainy and it's larger and hard to smuggle. The Fuji is very small and easy to bring in to a venue, but doesn't zoom as much. I shoot with no flash and lots of the pics come out blurry. Every now and then, though, I get something that captures the boys.

if you can turn the iso up in them it will help as you can't get speed needed and use white balance setting other than auto (custom).
these 2 changes will reduce the chroma noise you see.

most point and shoots will introduce noise (grain and color)in iso's above 400.

photoshop and a little time will make pics we all take at shows real keepers.

13th November 2006 05:23 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
do you recall what song that was? Looks like a monster Keef Riff was just unleashed

I think Poplar's right: JJF
I checked the time on the photo at it was about 11:15 pm.
13th November 2006 05:29 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
chevysales wrote:

if you can turn the iso up in them it will help as you can't get speed needed and use white balance setting other than auto (custom).
these 2 changes will reduce the chroma noise you see.

most point and shoots will introduce noise (grain and color)in iso's above 400.

photoshop and a little time will make pics we all take at shows real keepers.

The Lumix goes to 1600 ISO and the Fuji to 800. I'd like to know more about adjusting the white balance. In a concert situation do I want to increase or decrease?

I should go to some crappy concert I don't care about and do some experimenting.
13th November 2006 05:33 PM
Poplar
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
I think Poplar's right: JJF
I checked the time on the photo at it was about 11:15 pm.

Wasn't too far from him at that point.
also: open g - cap 4th fret. and that's not the guitar he uses for TD... so, it would almost have to be.
13th November 2006 05:57 PM
chevysales
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

The Lumix goes to 1600 ISO and the Fuji to 800. I'd like to know more about adjusting the white balance. In a concert situation do I want to increase or decrease?

I should go to some crappy concert I don't care about and do some experimenting.

forget anything above 800 on any point and shoot. they aren't usuable and introduce more noise.
for great info try http://www.dpreview.com/

try the forums for your particluar camera... i am into digital photgraphy big time invested most of my money in canon 30d and 70-200 2.8 and 300 4 L lens... jane rose can be seen at shows shooting with 30d (and 1dmk2) and canon new L (top shelf canon line of lens) setup 18-55... saw her at b stage in boston shooting with it, these are fast lens that need no flash in low light environments... at beacon i got there early to see what photographers were using getting band and celebs going in side entrance... most love talking about it and give valuable info.

concerts are tough as lighting constantly changes but with a little practice one can get excellent results... can't be had using auto settings though as it can't focus quick enough... if you have focus lock try to pre focus and hold for shot.

i do mostly action shots as my youngest is on soccer scholarship and both kids play which led me from point and shoots into dslr's... canon's rebel xti is a great buy for a starter... but it's an expensive hobby... photoshop isn't cheap but buying through kids acedemic discounts puts it at half price. it's needed as it makes changes using "layers" which doesn't effect actual jpeg although i shoot raw 99% of the time.

i could go on and on... as usual

check out the forums i posted above and look for your camera forum and see what others are using.

good luck... i enjoy the heck out of getting good shots... don't be afraid to crop anything out either

[Edited by chevysales]
13th November 2006 06:18 PM
SweetVirginia Thanks for the info! I have the digital rebel and am pretty comfortable messing around with its settings, but it's too big to sneak into a concert.

I'll read up on my little cameras at the website you suggested.

Thank you so much!
13th November 2006 06:31 PM
stoneslib Everything that Chevysales says about cams is spot on! My only extra tip is that location matters - get as close as you can to the band. The closer you are, the less zooming you'll have to do and you'll keep a wider aperture so your shutter speed will stay high enough (1/100 or better) to stop subject movement and avoid camera shake. I've had my best luck by far at the B-stage. Still, Jagger with all his movement is hard to capture cleanly.

Oops, one other tip: dial in some negative exposure compensation. The camera's metering is generally fooled by the dark backgrounds, so you'll need to dial down -1.3 stops or more to keep the faces from blowing out all white.

Here's a sample from Vegas, taken with a small Nikon P&S @ 400 ISO.

Harold
[Edited by stoneslib]
[Edited by stoneslib]
13th November 2006 06:46 PM
ComeAsYouAre Whoa! That looks professional. The clarity is awesome. This is one show I wish I could have seen, damnit! I respect the hell out of Mick for going on and it pisses me off that some people judge him for it.
13th November 2006 07:22 PM
Poplar
dude - post more of those!!!!!
13th November 2006 07:25 PM
monkey_man
quote:

Dude you couldn't have been further than 5 feet to my right when that picture was taken!!
13th November 2006 08:03 PM
texile mick has ALWAYS been a trouper...
carrying the load with aplomb and quiet dignity...
for all that is said about "cold-hearted", "penny-pinching" jagger, the man has always demonstrated a certain grace under pressure.
god bless him.
13th November 2006 08:15 PM
Slavegirl I was there as well, and I have to say that out of the nine times I've seen them, this was by far one of the best. I remember thinking that Mick seemed particularly "into it" that night, he held out the songs a little longer, and seemed to be even more connected to the audience than usual. "Midnight Rambler" was long and sexy as hell, as was sympathy. I remember feeling choked up when he sang "Streets of Love" because of the emotion I felt coming from him when he sang it. Let me say I had no idea that his father had passed away...I didn't find out till the next day. When I heard about it my mind was blown even more because of the fact that the band gave one of their best shows under those awful circumstances. I think it may have something to do with the fact that as an artist, when you are going through a traumatizing situation you are so emotionally raw that it often helps your performance. Whatever inner workings were going on inside of Jagger, I have to say that I have a new level of sympathy and respect for the man. All in all, a show not to be missed!!
13th November 2006 08:49 PM
chevysales
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Thanks for the info! I have the digital rebel and am pretty comfortable messing around with its settings, but it's too big to sneak into a concert.

I'll read up on my little cameras at the website you suggested.

Thank you so much!

yep rebels too big for us to sneak in... although i saw people with them at opening night in fenway along with small video cams (never saw a place so loose with the rules as that night)...go figure. i have many more sites which are great for photography with some being very deep.

if you need any links just pm me.

either way being close and getting shots like you got and throbby (edit: add stoneslib as that is a nice shot of ronnie) have gotten in the past are awesome pieces of history for us to keep.

see ya in ac

[Edited by chevysales]
13th November 2006 08:54 PM
chevysales
quote:
stoneslib wrote:
Everything that Chevysales says about cams is spot on! My only extra tip is that location matters - get as close as you can to the band. The closer you are, the less zooming you'll have to do and you'll keep a wider aperture so your shutter speed will stay high enough (1/100 or better) to stop subject movement and avoid camera shake. I've had my best luck by far at the B-stage. Still, Jagger with all his movement is hard to capture cleanly.

Oops, one other tip: dial in some negative exposure compensation. The camera's metering is generally fooled by the dark backgrounds, so you'll need to dial down -1.3 stops or more to keep the faces from blowing out all white.

Harold
[Edited by stoneslib]
[Edited by stoneslib]

the bstage is absolutely the best part of any show for me and this picture is an example why. very nice shot.

i am next to bstage for ac... damn can't wait till friday.
13th November 2006 09:03 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Poplar wrote:
After some wicked plane delays - we got back at 3am (too much noise...). This is going to be one long day of work, but I wanted to offer some plreliminary thoughts.

Monkey_Man summed up teh pre-show vibe pretty well. Excitement, tempered by that slight worry that it may not happen. But once 6 o'clock rolled around, it felt like all systems go. Great meeting MM. The 3rd ROer I've met in one week and all three were a true pleasure. Thanks for the drink, buddy, glad you had a great time.

The show was stellar. Really nothing short of an A+ performance. I was awed by it, and my girlfriend came out in complete amazement, and bummed we can't do LA (not sure she was looking forward to that one beforehand). We stopped by Zuri's for the post show gathering and heard about Mick's dad. I think that's when a lot of people heard about it, and you could sense the overwhelming respect people had for Mick - not just for performing, but for performing at a level I have never seen before. There are no words for how I feel about that man. And Keith may have played the best show I've ever seen form him. He was on fucking fire. Sympathy almost knocked me off my feet.

I'll give a real write-thru after work, but one more thought: Keith giving the two-armed worshiping bow (usually reserved for Charlie) to Mick at the end. He also put his arm around mick a few times. I'm tearing up thinking about it. It was an amazing night for the fans, but I also suspect that was a powerful show for the band as well.

At show's end - so many emotions... but mostly pride. I'm so fucking proud to be a fan of the Rolling Stones. Some peoople find CHrist in their lives. I found our band. I know so many of us at times have drifted towards writing these guys off, but I'll never do it again. Whether or not it was my last show, who knows - but Saturday was yet another revelation.

Monday - caught ANOTHER Charlie drumstick. Saturday, the boys showed up inspite of it all, and delivered a show beyond anything I thought possible. Thank you Mick, Keith, Ronnie & Charlie. I love you guys. Don't Stop.

[Edited by Poplar]

Ah, Poplar, it did my heart good to read that. I think you summed up the feelings of so many of us. So glad you got these incredible shows this week.
13th November 2006 09:11 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks for the reviews everyone. Sounds like one never to be forgotten

And Stoneslib do you have anymore of these great photos to share?
13th November 2006 09:12 PM
StonesChick
quote:
Slavegirl wrote:
I was there as well, and I have to say that out of the nine times I've seen them, this was by far one of the best. I remember thinking that Mick seemed particularly "into it" that night, he held out the songs a little longer, and seemed to be even more connected to the audience than usual. "Midnight Rambler" was long and sexy as hell, as was sympathy. I remember feeling choked up when he sang "Streets of Love" because of the emotion I felt coming from him when he sang it. Let me say I had no idea that his father had passed away...I didn't find out till the next day. When I heard about it my mind was blown even more because of the fact that the band gave one of their best shows under those awful circumstances. I think it may have something to do with the fact that as an artist, when you are going through a traumatizing situation you are so emotionally raw that it often helps your performance. Whatever inner workings were going on inside of Jagger, I have to say that I have a new level of sympathy and respect for the man. All in all, a show not to be missed!!

I am in awe of him........SOL was amazing.....
13th November 2006 09:13 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
stoneslib wrote:
Everything that Chevysales says about cams is spot on! My only extra tip is that location matters - get as close as you can to the band. The closer you are, the less zooming you'll have to do and you'll keep a wider aperture so your shutter speed will stay high enough (1/100 or better) to stop subject movement and avoid camera shake. I've had my best luck by far at the B-stage. Still, Jagger with all his movement is hard to capture cleanly.

Harold
[Edited by stoneslib]
[Edited by stoneslib]

Stoneslib, that's an absolutely gorgeous shot. I'm bringing the old 35mm to AC because that's the way I've always gotten great concert photos in the past. I really would like to grab a nice digital suitable for concert shots, but right now AC has sucked up all my disposable income, so the 35 will have to do.

And yes, if you have any other shots, by all means post 'em. That's a beauty!
13th November 2006 09:43 PM
stoneslib Thanks everybody for the kind words.

I do have a few more from the Vegas B-stage, but I sent them to Voodoo first for consideration (possible headers).

They'll be out here through some means, I promise.

13th November 2006 10:05 PM
chevysales
quote:
Poplar wrote:
After some wicked plane delays - we got back at 3am (too much noise...). This is going to be one long day of work, but I wanted to offer some plreliminary thoughts.

Monkey_Man summed up teh pre-show vibe pretty well. Excitement, tempered by that slight worry that it may not happen. But once 6 o'clock rolled around, it felt like all systems go. Great meeting MM. The 3rd ROer I've met in one week and all three were a true pleasure. Thanks for the drink, buddy, glad you had a great time.

The show was stellar. Really nothing short of an A+ performance. I was awed by it, and my girlfriend came out in complete amazement, and bummed we can't do LA (not sure she was looking forward to that one beforehand). We stopped by Zuri's for the post show gathering and heard about Mick's dad. I think that's when a lot of people heard about it, and you could sense the overwhelming respect people had for Mick - not just for performing, but for performing at a level I have never seen before. There are no words for how I feel about that man. And Keith may have played the best show I've ever seen form him. He was on fucking fire. Sympathy almost knocked me off my feet.

I'll give a real write-thru after work, but one more thought: Keith giving the two-armed worshiping bow (usually reserved for Charlie) to Mick at the end. He also put his arm around mick a few times. I'm tearing up thinking about it. It was an amazing night for the fans, but I also suspect that was a powerful show for the band as well.

At show's end - so many emotions... but mostly pride. I'm so fucking proud to be a fan of the Rolling Stones. Some peoople find CHrist in their lives. I found our band. I know so many of us at times have drifted towards writing these guys off, but I'll never do it again. Whether or not it was my last show, who knows - but Saturday was yet another revelation.

Monday - caught ANOTHER Charlie drumstick. Saturday, the boys showed up inspite of it all, and delivered a show beyond anything I thought possible. Thank you Mick, Keith, Ronnie & Charlie. I love you guys. Don't Stop.

[Edited by Poplar]

wow we need you in AC please come...one lucky fan 2 sticks!!!

i haven't read 1 bad review of the show here or at shidoobee or on undercover.
13th November 2006 10:46 PM
Poplar Great review Slavegirl. It was a great night.
14th November 2006 04:06 AM
FotiniD Aw, I just read Dawn's story on Shidoobee about her Meet&Greet experience... CHRIST ALMIGHTY! Do yourself a favor and go read it right now. It's unbelievable.

I'm SO happy for her! I wonder how she managed to keep her senses I would have fainted on the spot.

And Keith is such a sweet darling... But we already knew that, didn't we?

P.S. Now, somebody tell me how on earth you can get in a Meet & Greet? I want a 15-sec Keith hug too, lol!!
[Edited by FotiniD]
14th November 2006 04:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
stoneslib wrote:
Thanks everybody for the kind words.

I do have a few more from the Vegas B-stage, but I sent them to Voodoo first for consideration (possible headers).

They'll be out here through some means, I promise.

Look forward to them. Always good to see you posting here.
14th November 2006 06:04 AM
PartyDoll MEG Here is the link for Jaggergurl's story. What a special and unforgettable moment. Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan!!

http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeew...tart=41&stop=60
14th November 2006 09:33 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
stoneslib wrote:

Harold

Oh, my! That is gorgeous. My b-stage pics have been better than my main stage pics, too. I guess because we can get so close.

Thanks for the additional photo tips.

SV
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)