ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Saint Stonesalot
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA - October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: We All Shine On - Happy Birthday, John! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
October 9th, 2005 02:23 PM
Lazy Bones John Lennon would have been 65 today.

October 9th, 2005 02:36 PM
keithriffhard yup, sad sad sad. We should all take a break from listening to The Stones today and listen to INSTANT KARMA atleast once.
October 9th, 2005 02:44 PM
Gimme Shelter Happy B-day John. You are missed. Thanks for everything.
October 9th, 2005 03:41 PM
kath john lennon SHOULD have been 65 today.....

we miss you john!!!
October 9th, 2005 09:01 PM
LeedsLungs71 I would love to hear the Stones cover Yer Blues. They could tear that riff up!
October 9th, 2005 10:11 PM
jb Obviously anyone following the board over the years knows my hatred of Macca/Beatles . Thus, I rarely even get involved anymore b/c it is redundant and offends many so-called Stones fans. Bottom line, they are mutually exclusive in my opinion and you cannot be both a Beatles/Macca fan and a die hard Stones fan-it just don't work that way and never will with the Stones's fans I know. You either dig Beatles pop, or the nitty , gritty blues inspired rock the Stones took from the Delta Blues pioneers, Chuck Berry( a total douche as a person) and made their own. There is no comparison b/t the Beatles as a rock band and the Stones. Maybe , to some(actually, probably 48% here) the Beatles represent the
60's and the impact it had on their lives and society as a whole;but to others, the real die hard Stones fans, the Beatles are unjustifiably held in higher regard b/c of thier wuss, wuss, pop -friendly music.
The Big 4 Stones albums, plus GHS,IORR, B&B, Some Girls and Tatoo You, stand up to any Beatles/Macca album, and imo, are vastly superior.

[Edited by jb]
October 9th, 2005 10:21 PM
corgi37 JB, you Sir, are the greatest person in history.

I despise all things Beatles. I own not 1 record. I never will. I wont even download any of their crap for nix. As a kid, i only used to like their cartoon. As a mature person now, i realise they were perfect for a cartoon!

Bit like their music.
October 9th, 2005 10:25 PM
ShaneJazz The Beatles never, ever, EVER released anything remotely as poor as IORR or Black&Blue. Even Magical Mystery Tour (the mini-album)kicks the crap out of those two. And to think that you cannot love both bands? Get fucking real and grow up. I can see someone possibly saying something along the lines of "you cannot like both hardcore rap and the Stones", but to say you cannot like the two greatest bands of all time together is absurd. So you go listen to Black & Blue and crap like Hey Negrita or Luxury, and I'll listen to Revolver. Happy Birthday John. But cheers all the same mate, no harm intended.
[Edited by ShaneJazz]
October 9th, 2005 10:31 PM
jb
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
The Beatles never, ever, EVER released anything remotely as poor as IORR or Black&Blue. Even Magical Mystery Tour (the mini-album)kicks the crap out of those two. And to think that you cannot love both bands? Get fucking real and grow up. I can see someone possibly saying something along the lines of "you cannot like both hardcore rap and the Stones", but to say you cannot like the two greatest bands of all time together is absurd. So you go listen to Black & Blue and crap like Hey Negrita or Luxury, and I'll listen to Revolver. Happy Birthday John. But cheers all the same mate, no harm intended.
[Edited by ShaneJazz]

Bullshit.........I'll take B&B over anything the turds ever released..you see dude, like I said, you either a Stones man or Beatles lamb.........
October 9th, 2005 10:52 PM
Brainbell Jangler Happy Birthday John and thanks.

Josh, the limitations on the range of your musical taste are not a virtue but a disability. Insisting that sharing your aesthetic disability is a prerequisite to true appreciation of the artistry of the Rolling Stones is patently irrational. More importantly, inflicting your irrationality on a thread intended to honor the memory of John Lennnon is just bad taste.

Thanks again, John.
October 9th, 2005 10:55 PM
jb
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
Happy Birthday John and thanks.

Josh, the limitations on the range of your musical taste are not a virtue but a disability. Insisting that sharing your aesthetic disability is a prerequisite to true appreciation of the artistry of the Rolling Stones is patently irrational. More importantly, inflicting your irrationality on a thread intended to honor the memory of John Lennnon is just bad taste.

Thanks again, John.

I could care less about John Lennon. Sorry the guy was killed..no one deserves that fate.....but I care a lot more about Brian Jone's memory and murder than Lennons...afterall, this is a Stones web-site...
[Edited by jb]
October 9th, 2005 11:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A real genius, an authentic musician and a great person, his biggest mistake: Yoko Ono
October 9th, 2005 11:08 PM
Brainbell Jangler No one's asking you to care, Josh. What's Brian got to do with it? Is "No true Stones fan can mourn the loss of a non-Stones rock hero" a corollary to the Beatles/Stones false alterntive?
If you really don't care then be quiet just for one day. That would be good taste. You could return to your embarrassing display of lack of musical appreciation tomorrow on some other thread.
October 9th, 2005 11:09 PM
jb
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
A real genius, an authentic musician and a great person, his biggest mistake: Yoko Ono

Was he really so great Vodoo? Have you heard what his first wife Cynthia has said about him recently?
October 9th, 2005 11:11 PM
Bloozehound fuck John Lennon!

the Stones screw the worlds top fashion models

Lennon marries geeky, homely assed boom-boom momma sans, he's worse than Stephen King

THe Black Crowes own the Beatles sorry asses

October 9th, 2005 11:18 PM
jb
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
fuck John Lennon!

the Stones screw the worlds top fashion models

Lennon marries geeky, homely assed boom-boom momma sans, he's worse than Stephen King

THe Black Crowes own the Beatles sorry asses

You, dude, got bigger balls than me!!! Kudos to you!!!If I posted this , I would be banned by someone...YOu fucking rock!!! When can we meet and greet? I owe you many rounds as you got . as Joey says, game.
October 9th, 2005 11:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
jb wrote:

Was he really so great Vodoo? Have you heard what his first wife Cynthia has said about him recently?

Josh, I'm talking about music, about his great and unquestionable contribution to music history. I don't give a fuck about the musicians' private life.

Nobody can't deny it Josh, nobody

About comparisons it's not fair to compare them, is like compare apples with oranges or pink with yellow

Remember "I wanna hold your hand" or "Let's spend the night together" or "I just wanna make love to you"

Lennon was a genius

Stones = A way of life baby
October 9th, 2005 11:22 PM
jb
quote:

Josh, I'm talking about music, about his great and unquestionable contribution to music history. I don't give a fuck about the musicians' private life.

About comparisons it's not fair to compare them, is like compare apples with oranges or pink with yellow

Remember "I wanna hold your hand" or "Let's spend the night together" or "I just wanna make love to you"

Lennon was a genius

But you don't like the Beatles.....you just allow others to post about them.....(?)
Brainbell Jangler "what his first wife Cynthia has said"

1. The jilted first wife: not a particularly unimpeachable witness, as you know.
2. Even if everything Cynthia says and much worse turns out to be true, a reprehensible personal life is not inconsistent with either musical genius or sociopolitical influence, both of which John possessed and is remembered for.
jb
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
No one's asking you to care, Josh. What's Brian got to do with it? Is "No true Stones fan can mourn the loss of a non-Stones rock hero" a corollary to the Beatles/Stones false alterntive?
If you really don't care then be quiet just for one day. That would be good taste. You could return to your embarrassing display of lack of musical appreciation tomorrow on some other thread.

Does someone smell "gassy"?
[Edited by jb]
October 9th, 2005 11:23 PM
time is on my side Personally, I thought John Lennon had tons of talent, at least before an excessive amount of drugs and Yoko dulled it. He's much more talented than MACCA. I grew up in the 60's and am open minded enough to appreciate both bands. No, John was no saint. He was a very flawed human being.

Obviously to me, the STONES are the vastly superior group. No contest as far as I'm concerned. They were always my special group. Yet, I love albums like Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, and Abbey Road (all of which, by the way, I think are better albums than IORR or Black & Blue & listen to on a more regular basis than IORR or Black & Blue).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!
October 9th, 2005 11:29 PM
jb
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Personally, I thought John Lennon had tons of talent, at least before an excessive amount of drugs and Yoko dulled it. He's much more talented than MACCA. I grew up in the 60's and am open minded enough to appreciate both bands. No, John was no saint. He was a very flawed human being.

Obviously to me, the STONES are the vastly superior group. No contest as far as I'm concerned. They were always my special group. Yet, I love albums like Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, and Abbey Road (all of which, by the way, I think are better albums than IORR or Black & Blue & listen to on a more regular basis than IORR or Black & Blue).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!

Gee, we actually agree on one thing.
October 9th, 2005 11:32 PM
time is on my side
quote:
jb wrote:

Gee, we actually agree on one thing.

This comes as a surprise to me as well.
[Edited by time is on my side]
October 10th, 2005 03:35 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:

Lennon was a genius

Gerardo, I thought you knew better than to bother...

October 10th, 2005 03:49 PM
Gazza Lennon was an undoubted musical genius for the first decade of his career - however, the way in which his solo work is also held in high esteem by many is baffling to me as (with a couple of exceptions) it doesnt hold up beyond 1971. Had he not been a Beatle, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Its easy to blame a lot of his artistic decline on his wife. I dont agree. He made his own choices.

Even as a long-time fan of much of his output, I find his elevation as a human being to near sainthood by many to be nauseating. That love and peace schtick doesnt convince me in the slightest either.

The music world is a poorer place without him, however
October 10th, 2005 04:29 PM
kath all of which had nothing to do with honoring john on his birthday. allow those of us who wish to do so here on the board we love to show the respect we feel for john lennon.

on jb's birthday, i will not post how much i hate lawyers and/or florida.

that seems fair to me.
October 10th, 2005 04:32 PM
Gazza Honor away, kath. Like I said, I'm a fan of his music and respect his contribution and influence as well and acknowledged that he's still greatly missed by the music world.

Its just the elevation to sainthood I have a problem with.

October 10th, 2005 05:04 PM
kath oh he is no saint...i'd hate it if he were!!!
October 10th, 2005 05:53 PM
Joey
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
John Lennon would have been 65 today.

Happy Birthday John !!!

October 10th, 2005 06:08 PM
Surround Sister And problems with Sainthood he had himself too, old John.
A simple man, in the best sense of the word.
But extraordinary.
He had self-irony enough for all the millions of uncritical fans that lacks the same goods:
He often giggled away with that "Growing beard for peace", "Sitting in a bag for peace" etc.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)