ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Saint Stonesalot
Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA - October 12, 2005
© 2005 Sir Stonesalot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: We All Shine On - Happy Birthday, John! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
October 10th, 2005 06:28 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
kath wrote:
all of which had nothing to do with honoring john on his birthday.

Bingo!
October 10th, 2005 06:30 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
The Beatles never, ever, EVER released anything remotely as poor as IORR or Black&Blue. Even Magical Mystery Tour (the mini-album)kicks the crap out of those two. And to think that you cannot love both bands? Get fucking real and grow up. I can see someone possibly saying something along the lines of "you cannot like both hardcore rap and the Stones", but to say you cannot like the two greatest bands of all time together is absurd. So you go listen to Black & Blue and crap like Hey Negrita or Luxury, and I'll listen to Revolver. Happy Birthday John. But cheers all the same mate, no harm intended.
[Edited by ShaneJazz]

Obviously any rational man can like both the stones, beatles and "hardcore rap".
[Edited by Ronnie Richards]
October 10th, 2005 06:41 PM
Surround Sister The observant reader may ask him- or herself why good SS didnt say Happy Birthday to John Winston... O, its just because I remembered/found out about the day some 23 hours too late.
HIstorians have made some calculations about the b-day of Jesus Christ and came to conclusions that it was Oct 9 (!).... Doesnt help Mr. Lenon escape the peace-gloria, does it?
October 10th, 2005 07:20 PM
pdog He's missed!!!
October 10th, 2005 08:28 PM
PeerQueer To blatantly state one cannot like both the Stones and the Beatles is ridiculously absurd. One can choose to like one and not the other, but don't take the choice of liking both from others will you??

DELETED BY ADMIN

The Beatles represented that softer pop side of the 60s- an extension of the feel-good Kennedy era right before the reality of the Vietnam Confict set in and the country's tone turned far more questioning and eventually downright angry. And there waiting in the wings, properly prepped as the anti-Beatles, were our Stones, who conjured the raw gyrating sexuality of early 50s Rock n Roll with the cheeky wit and impudence of the British invasion.(Think Elvis w/o the good mannered pretense) Even Lennon admitted to many he envied the Stones their dangerous reputations, for without the suit and mop top, Lennon was originally far more a bad boy than Mick to that point, and much of his later frustration came from an inability to completely remove himself from the Beatle's initial image.

The Beatles though, due to their association with the lost innocence era of early 60s Americana, became far more ingrained in the collective cultural conscience of America than did the Stones. Not that the Stones were not popular mind you, but no one had reached the pinnacle of cultural impact, with the possible exception of Elvis in his prime, than the Beatles.

But if you wish to know who was most envied by both members of the Beatles and the Stones - it was our man Bob. Lennon was in awe of Dylan's lyrical ability, and the best music of the Stones both contain the raw edge of Delta Blues combined with more complicated Dylanesque lyrical imagery, as seen in Sympathy, Sister Morphine, etc.

McCartney never says much about Bob, but that is because he is a petulant insecure little prick with horrible man boobs - but to his credit, he did create some great pop tunes.

John Lennon was one of the most enigmatic musicians of the last half century. Incredibly sarcastic, contradictory, vulnerable, insightful, and vastly talented. How many modern musicians of the last decade can that be said of?

If I didn't admire that talent, I would certainly not stoop to speaking ill of him on a thread so obviously intended for and created by those who both appreciate his considerable gift of music, and/or feel sadness at his too-soon passing. To stain such a thread with negative rantings against the Beatles would be beneath any person of character and dignity, would it not?

EDITION BY ADMIN

Please Peer Queer avoid that kind of comments see my reply below.

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
October 10th, 2005 09:41 PM
LadyJane I always liked John Lennon. A great talent.....howe he EVER put up with MACCA I'll never now.

RIP John.

LJ.

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
October 10th, 2005 09:43 PM
Riffhard You know PeerQueer for a guy that has blantantly admitted to smoking the occasional cock you are in no position to start spouting biggoted remarks! Josh has been posting his dislike of the Beatles for years now. It's all part of the Josh bit. Most here know his schtick. He truly hates them though. That much is for sure,and while I tend to agree with alot of what you wrote in your post,the jew line was way out of bounds! Not cool at all,and it redered the rest of your post moot as far as I'm concerned.

Riffhard
October 10th, 2005 09:45 PM
glencar RIP John Ono Lennon.
October 10th, 2005 09:45 PM
jb Thank you LJ and Riffhard.......people get angry at my character , but are noticeably quiet when something really offensive is posted...makes you wonder.

LJ see PM!!!
[Edited by jb]
October 10th, 2005 09:51 PM
glencar Joshy, I took it as a joke albeit one in extremely poor taste but that's howe most jokes around here are. PeerQueer needs to lighten up his loafers!
October 10th, 2005 09:53 PM
Riffhard
quote:
jb wrote:
Thank you LJ and Riffhard.......people get angry at my character , but are noticeably quiet when something really offensive is posted...makes you wonder.

LJ see PM!!!
[Edited by jb]

Too true Joshy!! You know the regulars here always got your back!

Riffy
October 10th, 2005 09:57 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:
Thank you LJ and Riffhard.......people get angry at my character , but are noticeably quiet when something really offensive is posted...makes you wonder.

LJ see PM!!!
[Edited by jb]

You are MORE than welcome my friend.

PM received and reply waiting for you.

Saturday was a hoot!!!!!!!

LJ.
October 10th, 2005 10:04 PM
voodoopug I am yet to figure out how Josh's dedication to his status as a Jewish man interferes with his preference of the Stones over the Beatles. I, more than anyone, enjoy some action on Rocks Off. But when things get out of hand< i was smart enough to suspend myself. I shall cheer any attacks on jb for his musical taste, his career, or his financial status as I know josh is more than capable of dishing it right back, but since a blatant attack was made on his status as a jewish man (mind you that I am not Jewish), I must say "SHAME ON YOU!" you have humiliated the entire board, and that says something considering this place is known as the asylum. Sadly, I am disappointed!
October 10th, 2005 10:09 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
I am yet to figure out how Josh's dedication to his status as a Jewish man interferes with his preference of the Stones over the Beatles. I, more than anyone, enjoy some action on Rocks Off. But when things get out of hand< i was smart enough to suspend myself. I shall cheer any attacks on jb for his musical taste, his career, or his financial status as I know josh is more than capable of dishing it right back, but since a blatant attack was made on his status as a jewish man (mind you that I am not Jewish), I must say "SHAME ON YOU!" you have humiliated the entire board, and that says something considering this place is known as the asylum. Sadly, I am disappointed!

Thank you John...you are really a true friend.
October 10th, 2005 10:17 PM
glencar PeerQueer, it sounds like you need to apol-O-gize!
October 10th, 2005 10:22 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
PeerQueer, it sounds like you need to apol-O-gize!

Thank you Glencar....disliking Lennon did not require that comment..and as everyone knows , I am Pro-Choice.
October 10th, 2005 10:58 PM
PeerQueer LOL - I have been justly chastised!!!

Let it be known: Hey-Hey - Jew got me rockin!!!!!!!!!

That being said, I did find it in poor taste to take a thread dedicated to the memory of Mr. Lennon and piss all over it - however offensive you found my Jewish choice comment, it was tongue in cheek I assure you, if one is to look at the entire post and not take that one line out of context.

But I am a relative newcomer, and have brought about the ire of some old timers, and I have always respected my elders, so to them, and you, I apologize for any offense taken.

Dear JB - I will gladly offer you a reach-around...

(By the way, I don't take your offense seriously for a second - but I did find it amusing.)

I find it amazing though that it took Moses 40 years to relocate the Chosen People to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil!! Your people really have gotten the shaft!!

In your honor, I shall kick out one of my tenants and replace them with an elderly Jewish grandmother who shall of course be given a discounted rental rate.

"So it is spoken - So it shall be."
October 10th, 2005 11:13 PM
voodoopug
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
LOL - I have been justly chastised!!!

Let it be known: Hey-Hey - Jew got me rockin!!!!!!!!!

That being said, I did find it in poor taste to take a thread dedicated to the memory of Mr. Lennon and piss all over it - however offensive you found my Jewish choice comment, it was tongue in cheek I assure you, if one is to look at the entire post and not take that one line out of context.

But I am a relative newcomer, and have brought about the ire of some old timers, and I have always respected my elders, so to them, and you, I apologize for any offense taken.

Dear JB - I will gladly offer you a reach-around...

(By the way, I don't take your offense seriously for a second - but I did find it amusing.)

I find it amazing though that it took Moses 40 years to relocate the Chosen People to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil!! Your people really have gotten the shaft!!

In your honor, I shall kick out one of my tenants and replace them with an elderly Jewish grandmother who shall of course be given a discounted rental rate.

"So it is spoken - So it shall be."

I think those are all wonderful gestures!
October 10th, 2005 11:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Please PeerQueer, stop that kind of comments immediately or we will ban you permanently.

Here we have people from 5 continents, many religions, sex preferences, ethnical groups, nationalities, etc and we are only one group. The people have respect for your bisexuality and nobody have insult you.
October 10th, 2005 11:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl And to the rest, please do not reply now I'm gonna edit and delete more than one message

Remember PeerQueer is your last chance.
October 10th, 2005 11:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl One last comment, I edited and deleted some messages before reading your apologize. But we cannot leave any comments like that

Peace everybody... give it a chance

Alse please consider that even that we are three moderators we cannot cover the board 24-7-52 so please when you see a message like that I suggest (1) To contact the poster to delete or edit (2) Send us an e-mail, [email protected] goes to the three of us or find our e-mails always on top or click ADMIN on the top links above

October 10th, 2005 11:38 PM
PeerQueer Damn- this place is getting heavy!

Might I remind some folks this is a thread devoted to a certain John Lennon - he left no stone unturned regarding his wit and sarcasm, and would be terribly dissapointed in the politically correct knee jerk reaction of some in this place.

I urge you each to review his lyrics to "GOD" as well as a Playboy interview he gave in 1970 in which he refered to Paul's Jewish brother in law as, "A WASP Jew man! That's the worst kind of WASP and the worst kind of Jew! Can you imagine it!"

Did he mean those words? Who knows, as John's goal was to confront people's pre-packaged notions of sacred cows. He also had a life-long interest in the plight of the Germans during WWII - as was cleverly on display in the film "How I Won the War" Did this interest mark any anti-Semitism on John's part? I don't think so, as it was again his way of inspiring thought. He hated people who took themselves and their self-rightous bullshit too seriously!

Yoko once said if she was a Jewish girl in 1939 she would have slept with Hitler and brought him around to her way of thinking. John publicly expressed delight in her comment and the stir-up it caused.

"They're gonna crucify me..."

Is that what this board has come to?????

If so, bloody hell!!

Our Stones would be terribly saddened at such a prospect - A gaggle of little Neocons indeed!!

"We piss anywhere, man."

Well get your cocks out lads and start pissin!

October 10th, 2005 11:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Sometimes the sarcasm is completly out of place and for the Jewish sometimes is not that simple. Remember history, last century. One of the darkest pages... you know it.

So it's not the sarcasm as well, in this case is a delicate issue. We all need to manage the cultural differences here PeerQueer, and sometimes it's hard to differentiate between a joke and a serious comment. As simple as "avoid it", sarcasm about an anti-beatle reference is not the same.
60+ years ago many of our countries were in an absurd war, now we all party here and in real life like a family, like a gang, like real friends.
October 10th, 2005 11:56 PM
PeerQueer Fair enough Voodoo - if my sarcasm was misunderstood I shall dedicate myself to more carefully placed versions.

In your honor I shall take not one, but two Latino lovers tonight!

October 10th, 2005 11:59 PM
Riffhard HEY PQ here's the deal. You are still,in your own words,a newcomer. Therefore it's hard to tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. Josh had the same thing happen to him years ago with his anti-Beatle rhetoric. Eventully people began to figure Josh out,and he is a very cool cat indeed. I met him at the Giants show,and am glad I did.

A message board by it's very nature is impersonal. However,here at Rocks Off most of the "oldtimers" have gotten to know one another pretty well. We KNOW when we are kidding. Your new status makes it hard to judge exactly where you're coming from though.

As for the politically correct comment. Well that ain't the way I see it at all. Rather it's a bunch of Josh's buds sticking up for him. Not that he needs it mind you. Hell,I despise PC in every form. I have never subscribed to that kind of handwringing shit. Although I must say that it is funny to see you blame political correctness on neocons. Surly you know that it was the whole bleeding heart libs that hoisted that little bullshit guilt trip on the rest of us.

Riffhard
October 11th, 2005 02:10 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:

I could care less about John Lennon. Sorry the guy was killed..no one deserves that fate.....but I care a lot more about Brian Jone's memory and murder than Lennons...afterall, this is a Stones web-site...
[Edited by jb]

BRIAN IS LENNON'S BITCH IN THE AFTER LIFE...THEY SHOULDNT BE MENTIONED IN THE SAME CLASS..LENNON LEFT MANY MANY MANY GREAT SONGS AND BRIAN LEFT US A GREAT SOLO IN WANNA BE YOUR MAN..WHICH LENNON WROTE.
October 11th, 2005 10:34 AM
corgi37 JB is my guru in matters of all things anti-Beatle. I have despised them for ever. But, only with Jb's gift for words, can i nod my head in agreement and marvel at his comments.

Lennon really was right about the Stones copying them. They did, for a time. I mean, until 65, sure. And Satanic - no doubt. Trouble is, with Satanic, the Stones out (how do i spell this??) psychodaeliced the Beatles. Satanic is crap, but dark crap. Not the bubble gum bullshit. ANyway, the Doors debut fucks both lp's right up the ass!!

The Beatles could never never have done Satisfaction, Sympathy, or JJF. Never. They tried to be naughty as i have said before, and came out looking like a bunch of tossers. Some could say that the Stones could never have done stuff like Norwegian Wood, day in the life, strawberry fields, etc etc.

And why would they ever bloody want to? It was lame shit then. More a testimony to George Martin's skill and contacts than anything else. From 67, the Stones took over production, along with Jimmy Miller. But the final say was the Glimmer Twins. George Martin ruled the Beatles productions. As tears go by is as good as fucking Yesterday!

As for Lennon, stuff him too. He became a bitter, weird, twisted man. Just a junkie house-husband. Slagged every one off, but ooohhhhh, dont dare have a go at Mr. Peace, love and flowers. He was real good to his first wife. Oh, and his kid. Treated him bloody great didnt he?

By 68, the Beatles were over. They couldnt handle it. The Stones were just getting it together, despite Brian. Or, more to the point, without him. A review at the time of BB says "The Stones have found out where they are, and are building on it. Unlike the Beatles". Christ, of course the Beatles were genius in the studio. They did nothing else! And dont dare tell me the orchestra arrangements were not done by Martin!!!

It depends on taste. Or, as i like to call it "Balls". Tom Jones could never see why chicks loved Jagger. Cliff Richard (bless his virgin cock) hated with a passion every Stones release, cause (dig this) the guitars sounded out of tune! Even Brian once said "Bands like the Hollies wish they were like us". Those examples are of people who just didnt get it. Never will. Never did. I dont like perfection. It's probably why i dont really like the Floyd. Latter years, even a trite song like Fool to Cry STILL has that touch of grit. Whether Jagger's delivery, or whatever. Under those bloody awful synth strings, is STILL some blues licks - and a fucking awesome Charlie beat. Even the greatest, most fantastic, most special Beatles song (what ever it is, cause i hate them all) still had that loser Ringo on it!!

As song-writers, Jagger/Richards were a match for the Liverpool lads. Plus, we had Brian (for a while! hahaha). No front man can ever match Jagger.

And as for Ringo vs Charlie...

...why, "kiss my grits".

Mourn Lennon if you want. Hold hands, wear little circular glasses, pretend your in a Amsterdam Hilton, and crack a fat over Jap chicks. Go for it.

I say...as i have said before...2 down, 2 to go.
October 11th, 2005 11:17 AM
voodoopug Corgi Remains the king!
October 11th, 2005 11:48 AM
jb Corgi, I hope you're not Jewish..LMFAO!!!!
October 11th, 2005 12:03 PM
Martha John Lennon forever changed my life through his music and by the way he chose to live his life. When he was murdered it forced me to wake up. I came out of the fog that was my life then and within months left my marriage. The event and the grief that came out of that senseless murder forced me to see how shitty my life and so-called marraige was going.

John Lennon was a brave and honest man and very ahead of his time. He wrote respectfully and honestly about women's role in this society and I will always love and honor him for doing that. I do not know of anyone else who has written anything close to that except for Tom Petty on the Echo Album (my favorite Petty album).

John got incredible amounts of shit for being a man of peace, for marrying a women who was not white and (god forbid) who had a voice,......and for not following a pathway unture to his heart. In that way he was very much like Bob, my other spiritual, peace speakin', music mentor. :-)

He will always have my undying respect, love and loyalty. Without John I would not be where I am today.......he truly affected me to that level.

I love watching John and Mick playing roles in the Rock and Roll Circus with Mick trying not to laugh, but not being able to help it as John makes it up as he goes along. That is truly priceless footage. I bet Mick really misses John. John had a wonderful sense of humor.

"And we all shine on.....like the moon and the stars and the sun!"

Peace and Love John...peace AND love!

xxxxxooo,
Martha

PS Thanks for posting this thread!

PSS And out of respect....no more arguing over the Beatles verses our Stones.....PLEASE.

Thank you very much and very kindly!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)