ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie has cancer Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
August 15th, 2004 12:20 PM
Monkey Woman Oh, my! I'm just back from a busy little WE, and what do I see when I check my favorite board!...

Well, at least they say Charlie is expecting to make a full recovery. That's a comfort. Cancer, and especially throat cancer, is a dangerous beast, but I'm told it can be beaten if the patient is in good general health, keeps a positive frame of mind and is diagnosed early in the evolution of the thing.

Passive smoking is a nasty thing. To think Charlie quit smoking, drinking and drugs in the late '80S! But of course, a night in a smoky jazz club (or a studio session with Keith and Ron...) can do a lot of damage.

Get well soon, Charlie! All my thoughts go to him and his family and friends.
August 15th, 2004 12:27 PM
Gazza from "The Independent"

Charlie Watts has throat cancer
By Andrew Clennell
15 August 2004

The Rolling Stones drummer, Charlie Watts, has throat cancer, it emerged last night. Watts, 63, who gave up smoking in the 1980s, is halfway through a five-week course of radiotherapy, tabloid newspapers reported. He was operated on after he discovered a lump in his neck in June.

Watts has apparently been told by doctors that he has "every chance" of a full recovery. He is being cared for by his wife of 40 years, Shirley, and daughter Seraphina, 36.

A Rolling Stones spokesman told News of the World: "Having been diagnosed with throat cancer following a minor operation in June, Charlie is reaching the end of radiotherapy. He's expected to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year."

Watts is the oldest member of the Stones. Mick Jagger is 61, Ronnie Wood 57, Keith Richards 60 and ex-member Bill Wyman 67. In April, the drummer played with his jazz band, the Charlie Watts Tentet, at Ronnie Scott's jazz club in London and in New York.

Watts no longer drinks alcohol, after suffering a drink and drug addiction in the early 1980s.

Watts was expected to quit the Stones after Wyman did in 1994. However, he has stayed on and the Stones were reunited for a world tour two years ago.

When Watts turned 60, he admitted that he felt too old to keep playing. "I do feel a bit old for whatever it's called I do for a living," he said, "but I do it for the money."
August 15th, 2004 12:27 PM
glencar I was stunned when I saw this thread. I worked overnight & didn't see the news. My prayers go out to Charlie & his family, of course. It sounds like he'll make a full recovery.
August 15th, 2004 12:28 PM
Gazza >Passive smoking is a nasty thing. To think Charlie quit smoking, drinking and drugs in the late '80S! But of course, a night in a smoky jazz club (or a studio session with Keith and Ron...) can do a lot of damage.

maybe when you think about it, its a good job the Stones DON'T do much studio work after all!
August 15th, 2004 12:29 PM
glencar Keith will have to step outside from now on.
August 15th, 2004 12:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels If they live long enough all people get sick and die. If the thunder don't get you the lightening will. It's the roll of the dice as to how soon. Every day is a Gift in a very real sense. Like Zevon said "enjoy every sandwich".
August 15th, 2004 12:43 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Passive smoking is a nasty thing. To think Charlie quit smoking, drinking and drugs in the late '80S! But of course, a night in a smoky jazz club (or a studio session with Keith and Ron...) can do a lot of damage.

maybe when you think about it, its a good job the Stones DON'T do much studio work after all!

A few things just come to mind...

YCAGWYW
Rock And A Hard Place

Another scary thought: what if it was Mick with throat cancer? He was a heavy smoker for 20 years too and what time he spends with Keith means passive smoking again... A drummer doesn't rely on his voice box, but a singer!!!
August 15th, 2004 01:14 PM
Jumacfly Charlie best wishes, wha
Jumacfly Charlie best wishes, wha
Gimme Shelter You would think the official site would have news regarding Charlie's illness, but not one word.
August 15th, 2004 01:15 PM
Jumacfly Charlie best wishes, do I need to say more??
see ya next year, for the biggest standing ovation of your life

cheers

JU
August 15th, 2004 01:18 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

A few things just come to mind...

YCAGWYW
Rock And A Hard Place

Another scary thought: what if it was Mick with throat cancer? He was a heavy smoker for 20 years too and what time he spends with Keith means passive smoking again... A drummer doesn't rely on his voice box, but a singer!!!

I think Brian Johnson from AC/DC had something like that and won the fight easily!
August 15th, 2004 01:23 PM
full moon I love ya Charlie. Get well.....
August 15th, 2004 01:48 PM
Gazza >You would think the official site would have news regarding Charlie's illness, but not one word.

well, I guess they can't make money on it.

I'm sure they're preparing a commemorative T-shirt as we speak.
August 15th, 2004 01:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>You would think the official site would have news regarding Charlie's illness, but not one word.

well, I guess they can't make money on it.

I'm sure they're preparing a commemorative T-shirt as we speak.

Don't the Stones run their own "official" fan club?
August 15th, 2004 01:57 PM
Gazza posted by kath51 on Stonesdoug's "Shidoobee" message board...

i've just heard from a member of the tentet. he said he has spoken to charlie several times recently and that "he's not worried." he said that the radiation treatment is precautionary.
August 15th, 2004 02:40 PM
Factory Girl I f/ing hate this. He's our Charlie (and everybody else's).

Get well soon, Mr. Watts. We need you to keep the beat.
August 15th, 2004 06:17 PM
glencar Kath51 is a huge Charlie Watts fan. We can definitely trust her word.
August 15th, 2004 07:49 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
Rally round, boys

Excellent pic, never seen it before, is it from 1984 maybe? Maybe the shooting of the "She Was Hot" video with that guitar Charlie's holding? Hum...no, maybe 1979...
[Edited by gotdablouse]
August 15th, 2004 07:57 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Gutted! What a man! The Man's Class will see him through.
August 15th, 2004 08:38 PM
Scot Rocks Saw this on the news and I couldnt believe it, all I can say is get well soon Charlie! we are all with you.

Mark
August 15th, 2004 08:48 PM
glencar I haven't seen this news on TV here at all.
August 15th, 2004 08:55 PM
corgi37 Not Charlie. Not fucking Charlie! I read it yesterday, and have been in a tizz ever since. But, i am positive he will 100% recover.

I just hope and pray, that there is a video of the 1st gig of their next tour. The cheers for Charlie are going to set seismic counters off the scale all over the world!

I cant imagine a world without my Stoneys!
August 15th, 2004 09:00 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A basic formula:

No Charlie Watts = No Rolling Stones

Great to hear this is not as bad as the title suggests, cancer is one of the worse ways to die, sometimes is quick sometimes it takes years

Charlie is good tonight... and every night
August 15th, 2004 09:50 PM
Soldatti Thanks for all the news articles Gazza.
He will be fine, and all this will be a bad dream for him.
August 15th, 2004 09:56 PM
Kris My prayers to Charlie. This is such sad news but there is great success in treating throat cancers. He will get through this.
August 15th, 2004 10:08 PM
luridchief Don't count the old boy out yet. Just 12 months ago I has a 14cm tumor in my abdomen and the rest of it was LINED with that crap--so much so that they couldn't even see my internal organs via scans. Without emergency chemo "bombing" they said I'd be dead in less than 60 days.

After a lot of shit, I'm still here . . . and it's the CANCER that's gone.
August 15th, 2004 10:08 PM
gypsy I agree with you, Kris. Charlie is very strong...has a very supportive family, and will beat this.
August 15th, 2004 11:19 PM
jaggergurl sending Charlie and his beloved family all the support and prayers and good wishes and love for a speedy recovery.. we luv ya Charlie!
August 15th, 2004 11:52 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:

Excellent pic, never seen it before, is it from 1984 maybe? Maybe the shooting of the "She Was Hot" video with that guitar Charlie's holding? Hum...no, maybe 1979...
[Edited by gotdablouse]

That picture is from 1983 and was taken from the recording sessions of Undercover.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6