ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie has cancer Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
August 16th, 2004 04:03 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Have I seen my last Rolling Stones concert? What a thought.

Nah , they will still tour ( see Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey ) .

Cancer is no longer a death sentence and if you catch it in time you can live decades .
August 16th, 2004 04:05 PM
glencar LONDON, England (Reuters) -- The Rolling Stones' 63-year-old drummer Charlie Watts is suffering from throat cancer but should recover after radiotherapy, a band spokesman said Saturday.

Watts was diagnosed in June after a minor operation and is now reaching the end of his treatment at a London hospital, the spokesman said in a statement to British media.

"He's expected to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year," he added.

Watts, who has a reputation as the quietest member of the legendary British band, gave up smoking decades ago.

"He's very positive because he's been told he has every chance of being completely cured," a family friend was quoted as saying in The Mail Sunday newspaper.

"The last thing he wants is everyone calling and making a fuss, thinking he's going to die."

The spokesman said Watt's treatment had not interfered with any of the Stones' tour or recording plans.

The rest of the group were "relaxing between work commitments," he said.
August 16th, 2004 04:52 PM
tumbling dice Get well soon,Charlie see you in Brazil next year with the stones
August 16th, 2004 04:57 PM
glencar I hope so but I'm doubtful.
August 16th, 2004 05:55 PM
LadyJane
quote:
glencar wrote:
I hope so but I'm doubtful.

We Irish can be soooo pessimistic.

Right now, I'm focusing on Charlie's recovery. Nothing else matters.

However, I really believe, with all of my heart, that if he makes a complete recovery, he will take to the stage again.

LJ.
August 16th, 2004 07:22 PM
Gazza SDH wrote>
Charlie Watts Rules.
Dear Doctor; It should be Ringo, not Charlie.

get a fucking life, Tony

August 16th, 2004 07:40 PM
GottaHaveHim
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

We Irish can be soooo pessimistic.

Right now, I'm focusing on Charlie's recovery. Nothing else matters.

However, I really believe, with all of my heart, that if he makes a complete recovery, he will take to the stage again.

LJ.

I'm with you on that, LadyJane!!! Charlie is going to be just fine, I just feel it in my heart!!!!!
Hang in there, Charlie!!!!!
See you, on the next tour to come!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}
Gotta
August 16th, 2004 07:42 PM
Gazza > I read Keno's post. He does end with the caveat that he doesn't know Charlie's doctors & they're the ones who really know his prognosis. .

I personally can't see why he chose to post that as it will alarm people unnecessarily who wish to be alarmed or who will make something more out of what is just gossip, especially when he did add the proviso that he (and presumably his 'source') doesn't know Charlie's doctors.

Again, I don't see why the press release would have gone out of their way to mention future recording and touring plans - within a very short time scale too for the recording - if they didnt feel sure all was okay, because obviously if by the end of the year the band ARENT recording, people are naturally going to start assuming things.

It's slightly natural to be cautious and, at the age the band members are, rational about long term plans, but I think we should give more weight to what WAS an official statement after all and the reasoning behind it and also to the word of people who HAVE given more a positive prognosis based on THEIR sources close to Charlie himself. It's quite possible that what that post simply meant that until Charlie got the OK, all plans were postponed indefinitely until his health dictated that it was practical to make any. The press release indicates that he WILL get the OK, even though he'll have to wait until his treatment is finished for that to be confirmed.

>It doesn't look good for an album or even a tour at this point

I dont agree, I'm glad to say.

>Have I seen my last Rolling Stones concert? What a thought.

I always think that at the end of every tour. But I don't think we have.

August 16th, 2004 08:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Have I seen my last Rolling Stones concert? What a thought.

No, please NOOO!!!
August 16th, 2004 08:27 PM
glencar LJ, it's in the blood!
August 16th, 2004 08:40 PM
Gazza Not for all of us, it ain't!

Tell ya what - you can buy me a beer somewhere on the road next year if I'm right.

I think thats a bet you'll be more than happy to lose...
August 16th, 2004 08:50 PM
glencar Okay as long as it's Guinness! LOL
August 16th, 2004 11:09 PM
Steel Wheels After dry heaving for several hours after reading this news, I must say:

Charlie, keep on kicking ass and I WILL SEE YOU behind the drum kit at my next Rolling Stones show. If you hate the fuss the fans make when Mick introduces you, just wait until your first gig back. You are the Stones!

August 17th, 2004 12:43 AM
Sir Stonesalot If Keno posted it, it MUST be true.

Right Voodoo?

LOL!
August 17th, 2004 02:09 AM
marko We all must meet in Cologne next tour,,,,,,even u sir.
August 17th, 2004 02:40 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

No, please NOOO!!!

I think our focus should be Charlie right now, and NOT the future plans of the band / concerts / albums etc. I'm sure he'll recover just fine - his doctors saying so is reliable enough for me, the timeframe of the statement makes sense: nearing the completion of the radiotherapy, so they know where they're heading - I don't see any other reason a spokesman would make such an announcement (I mean, they might as well say nothing if they didn't want to).

So I totally agree with Lady Jane. I DO think they will tour again and they will record again BUT all I care about right now is for Charlie to be 100% alright. Everything else comes second guys.

[Edited by FotiniD]
August 17th, 2004 02:43 AM
UGot2Rollme from Rolling Stones.com -

On Saturday, it was revealed that Charlie Watts is suffering from throat cancer. Watts was diagnosed in June after a minor operation and is now reaching the end of his treatment at a London hospital. He is expected to make a full recovery and will start work with the rest of the band later in the year.
------------------------
the operative words here:
EXPECTED TO MAKE A FULL RECOVERY AND WILL START WORK WITH THE REST OF THE BAND LATER IN THE YEAR!
--------------------------
KEEP ON ROLLIN, CHARLIE - WE'RE SENDING LOTS OF POSITIVE HEALING ENERGY YOUR WAY (AND RONNIE'S)!!!!!
August 17th, 2004 02:07 PM
Stones Fan, Gar Our Prayers are with Charlie. Get well soon!
August 17th, 2004 04:11 PM
glencar It sounds like things are okay. Thank God!
August 17th, 2004 05:13 PM
Gazza I'm glad you're reassured. I can almost smell that Guinness!
August 17th, 2004 06:02 PM
CotchfordCat All our love and best wishes go to Charlie.
August 17th, 2004 07:52 PM
glencar I had some English brews on vacay last week. The Newcastles were quite tasty but I still like Guinness more. I will go to Dublin again if they have a show there but I'm not sure about London. I'd like to try one of those German shows. Or maybe a Dutch show...
August 17th, 2004 08:17 PM
Gazza In a way, I'm kinda hoping that when they do tour again its later in 2005 in the US than spring as was originally thought. That way it would be easier to pull off for me. I did two trips to the US within a month in 2002 and even though someone was very kind to put me up in their home both times, its a lot of dough and then there was the UK shows in 2003 on top of that!!

Put myself into a lot of debt which I'm reluctant to do again, although I know, in reality, I probably will! Not to the same extent though, but then every tour I vow to see less shows and end up seeing more than before!

I'd like to go to America once again, do a few UK/Ireland shows (not them all though) and maybe a couple on the continent as flights are so cheap these days. As many of those shows as possible I'd like to be arenas or theatres. I dont intend doing stadiums unless Ive travelled so far to see a show that I may as well take one in! A lot just will depend on what the tour schedule is and the types of shows.

So hopefully I'll see you and lots of other great folks from here somewhere
August 17th, 2004 08:45 PM
Martha I hope to be one of the people you meet when you come to the US in 2005 for the STONES Gary!

I'm there!

Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie.....you get my drift!

:-)
August 17th, 2004 08:56 PM
LadyJane I pledge right here and now..if we are lucky enough to get another tour...I will do whatever it takes financially to see as many shows in as many cities/countries as possible.

Word!!

Get well Charlie..you never leave my mind for very long!!

LJ.

August 17th, 2004 09:05 PM
nankerphelge I see the official site has a mention of Charlie -- says he and the band will be back at work later this year!

Yay!

August 17th, 2004 10:05 PM
Soldatti
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I see the official site has a mention of Charlie -- says he and the band will be back at work later this year!

Yay!

A word from the official site!
That's news...
August 17th, 2004 10:54 PM
MarthaMyDear I want to go to France and see them as well as here (in
Southern California), actually... It would be nice to visit
with Jumacfly and Monkey Woman and meet as many of you people
as possible!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
August 18th, 2004 09:10 AM
moy EXCLUSIVE: Legend Watts fights throat disease

Stones Charlie battles cancer

By Rav Singh

LEGENDARY Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is battling with killer throat cancer.

The 63-year-old rock star was diagnosed after undergoing an exploratory operation at Royal Marsden Hospital a month ago.

He is now having weekly radiotherapy treatment and has vowed to family and friends he is determined to beat the disease.

In his battle to stay fit and alive Charlie is even walking to the hospital in Chelsea, west London, for his regular appointments.

Tough

A pal told us: "He's as tough as old boots. If anyone can get through this he can.

"Of course it's a worrying time, but Charlie is being incredibly upbeat and is absolutely willing himself to make a full and complete recovery. He has talked to the rest of the band about it and they've all been incredibly supportive."

Charlie has also bravely told fellow Stones—Mick Jagger, 61, Ronnie Wood, 57, Keith Richards, 60, and ex-member Bill Wyman, 67— that he is resolved to get back in the recording studio in the next couple of months.

His devoted wife of 40 years, Shirley, and daughter Seraphina, 36, are right by Charlie's side in his fight for fitness.

Ironically Charlie—who is worth £80million—has always had a reputation as the healthy, clean-living Rolling Stone, while the others lived the wild rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

Apart from a three-year drink and drugs bender 20 years ago, he has always been more family man than bad boy.

Charlie once confessed that daughter Seraphina—mother of his eight-year-old grandchild Charlotte—has been more of a handful than he ever was.

"She's given me more headaches than any number of raucous Stones gigs," he said.

"She's one of those people who arrives home and says, ‘I'm pregnant!'" Recalling his brief fling with heroin, he explained: "During this period I was personally in a hell of a mess.

"I was in pretty bad shape, taking drugs and drinking a lot. I'd never done any serious drugs when I was younger but at this point in my life I went, ‘Sod it, I'll do it now.'

"And I was totally reckless. This phase lasted for a couple of years but it took a long time for me and my family to get over it."

He added: "I was very ill. I wouldn't say I was dying, but I looked like I was.

"Was it a midlife crisis? I don't know. I remember having this feeling that I missed out on everything because I was what I was.

"My personality changed completely. It was a nightmare for my daughter and wife."

It was the fear of losing his marriage that forced Charlie to get a grip of himself and clean up his act.

He said: "For six months I lived on nothing but nuts and raisins and then I added spinach.

"Keith said I'd become a monk. It was difficult at first. It showed me the power of drugs. I realised what they can do to you."

Now, when he's not on the Stones' world tours or performing as a jazz musician, Charlie and Shirley breed horses and dogs at their spread in Devon.

At home he keeps a special memento of a lifetime on the road with the world's greatest rock band—a portfolio of drawings he's made of EVERY bed he's ever slept in! And he aims to add a few more.

Last night an official Stones spokesman confirmed: "Having been diagnosed with throat cancer following a minor operation in June, Charlie is reaching the end of radiotherapy.

"He's expected to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year."

Hell

A close pal added: "Charlie is a very brave man and it's business as usual for him. That's the way he's always been.

"Family means so much to him. He has always been a gentleman and totally in love with Shirley.

"She's obviously going through hell but is putting on a brave face— and every day Charlie tells her he loves her.

"It's not your usual rock star marriage. But then again, he's not your usual rock star."
August 18th, 2004 09:23 AM
F505 'At home he keeps a special memento of a lifetime on the road with the world's greatest rock band—a portfolio of drawings he's made of EVERY bed he's ever slept in! And he aims to add a few more.'

Great idea. I would love to see those drawings; There must be thousands of them.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6