ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie has cancer Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
August 14th, 2004 04:58 PM
ChrisEditor BC-Britain-Stones Drummer,0150ƒo
Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts treated for cancer

LONDON (AP)--Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is being treated for throat cancer, a spokesman for the band said Saturday.
Watts, 63, was diagnosed in June and has completed four weeks of a six-week course of radiotherapy at London¡¦s Royal Marsden Hospital.
``He is expecting to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year," the spokesman said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
He said Watts' treatment had not interfered with any tour or recording plans for the Stones, who have been ``relaxing between work commitments" following a world tour last year.
Known as the most laid-back member of the band he joined more than 40 years ago, Watts has also performed with a variety of jazz ensembles.

[Edited by ChrisEditor]
[Edited by ChrisEditor]
August 14th, 2004 05:08 PM
scratched Oh no! Get well soon Charlie!
August 14th, 2004 05:41 PM
getsatisfied I just read it on Yahoo. Get well soon Charlie.
August 14th, 2004 06:02 PM
luxury1 Oh christ. Isnt he the one with LEAST amount of bad habits? Did/does he smoke?

Cancer is NOT a death sentence anymore. He will kick this.
August 14th, 2004 06:18 PM
BILL PERKS HE SMOKED TILL THE LATE 80'S.WE ALL HAVE HIS BEST WISHES AT HEART -LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO THE GET WELL/ LETS PRAY FOR CHARLIE THREAD.I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE BAND WAS TRULY LUCKY THAT CANCER HAD NOT TOUCHED THEM YET.
August 14th, 2004 06:20 PM
BILL PERKS NOW DON'T ALL YOU GET INTO THE STUDIO/STOP JETSETTING/STOP GUEST SPOTTING IDIOTS FEEL STUPID.STEP ON UP!!
August 14th, 2004 07:12 PM
MarthaMyDear GET WELL SOON, CHARLIE!!! MY PRAYERS ARE WITH
YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS!!! I, PERSONALLY, LOOK
EXTREMELY FORWARD TO SEEING YOU PLAY ON THE NEXT TOUR 'CAUSE
IT'S ALWAYS FUN TO SEE YOUR SMILING FACE AND WHEN YOU ROLL
YOUR EYES!!! LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE CARE AND KEEP
ROCKIN' AND BRING THAT FUCKING JAZZ BAND TO SOUTHERN
CALIFORNIA SOMETIME, ALSO, OK.?!?!?!?! ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** MARTHA ***
August 14th, 2004 07:15 PM
LadyJane I just opened Yahoo, saw the headline and started to scream.

BUT..the article sounds optimistic and we just have to hope and pray for the best.

Dammit..fucking cancer.

Hang in there Charlie!

LJ.
August 14th, 2004 07:25 PM
MarthaMyDear http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040814/en_afp/afplifestyle_britain_040814231426

Entertainment - AFP
Rolling Stones drummer in 'good form' despite throat cancer

LONDON (AFP) - Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts (news), 63, is undergoing radiotheraphy in London for throat cancer, a spokesman for the venerable British rock band disclosed.

Watts, who has not smoked a cigarette since the 1960s when the Stones shot to worldwide fame, was said to be in "good form", walking from home to a hospital in Chelsea, southwest London to be treated.

His bandmates have been informed, and he has been supported by wife Shirley during the six-week course of treatment -- of which he has now completed four weeks.

"Having been diagnosed with throat cancer following a minor operation in June, Charlie Watts is reaching the end of radiotherapy treatment," the Stones' spokesman said.

"He is expecting to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year," he said.

His treatment has not interfered with any tour or recording plans for the Rolling Stones, who have been "relaxing between work commitments".

Besides drumming on dozens of Stones hits, Watts since 1985 has fulfilled his parallel passion for jazz by leading his own big-band "tentet".

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 14th, 2004 07:26 PM
Madafaka Fuck! I hate the fuckin' cancer. Hope get well soon.
August 14th, 2004 07:27 PM
gotdablouse Yup, tough break - optimistic or not, cancer is cancer, ask Macca :-(

I guess the only "good" thing that might come out of this is give them a sense of urgency and get their asses moving to come up with some new music...

Reminds me of this rumour (seemed fairly legit since some senior members here seemed to be in the knopw) last year about one of them being ill, was that it?
August 14th, 2004 07:36 PM
parmeda
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I just opened Yahoo, saw the headline and started to scream.

No shit, LadyJ!
Talk about a "***BLANK FUCKING STARE***" no less...

The power of prayer is amazing.
Charlie is now on my long list of devotions...
If he is a strong-willed person, he will win!
August 14th, 2004 07:37 PM
LadyJane

God Bless you Charlie, Shirley and family!

LJ.

Pammy..I'm crying my face off. I'm going for the rosary beads next! I wish you guys were closer. I'm in serious pain.
[Edited by LadyJane]
August 14th, 2004 07:37 PM
cwatts0462 well it sounds like he is going to be fine, from the article
thats great news, btw he smoked up to at least 77
August 14th, 2004 07:45 PM
gypsy That just breaks my heart. I am sending Charlie and his family prayers and good thoughts. I know he can pull through this.
LJ and Parmy, you guys are making me cry. How I wish we could have an RO co-ed "slumber party" right now...watch some Stones videos...get out the party 'goods' and get stoned ourselves.
August 14th, 2004 08:07 PM
stewed & Keefed Get well soon Charlie.

August 14th, 2004 08:33 PM
MarthaMyDear NICE pic., stewedandkeefed!!! Charlie is
DEFINITELY one of those guys you look at and think, "He sure
does get better-looking with age!!! WOO
HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"!!!
THANKS!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (COLD SHOWER-TIME!!! LOL!!!!! lol... HE!!!
HE!!! HE!!! THANKS AGAIN!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! )
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 14th, 2004 08:35 PM
parmeda gypsy...it's understandable to be sad at this time.
Cancer is an evil disease no matter what the level of severity it is.
Someone's overall survival depends a lot on their mental state and how badly they want to pull themselves through...granted there are some wonderful medical alternatives to choose from to aid you in your recovery...having a positive outlook is sometimes the best medicine for anyone with ANY disease.

Keep your chin up for Charlie...don't count him out yet!
...and yes! A pj party would be a great idea right about now
August 14th, 2004 08:42 PM
gypsy I know, parmy. I work in radiology, so I'm surrounded by illness. But I will never become one of those cold-hearted medical professionals. I don't cry at work...but sometimes when I come home. I've had horrid nights where I've just come home and bawled. I've had to scan people in MRI, searching for tumors, and I'll find them, but I don't know if they're benign or malignant, of course. The patient will always ask me if they have a tumor, and I can't answer them by law...and it can be heartbreaking even if you've spent just 15 minutes interviewing a patient before a procedure...because you get to know them a little bit...
August 14th, 2004 08:47 PM
cwatts0462 they said he is going to be fine, will you please stop
putting him in his grave please its very disturbing
think positive
August 14th, 2004 09:04 PM
gotdablouse Right, let's not be over-optimistic either, you can probably dig out similar PR's on Linda and Harrison, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
August 14th, 2004 09:08 PM
IanBillen
Oh wow, quite a scare!I seen "Charlie has cancer" on the board and I was like....oh-no. Not Charlie. I sure hope he gets better as expected.
A six week course of radio-therapy. I sure hope everything turnes out ok as expected. That is why Charlie wasn't there in Holland in June. He was getting better looked into or getting that minor operation. Was Charlie really in the studio in June? If so that is a surprise. Well we think they were there to sign to tour but wouldn't that be a little pre-mature at that time considering? The article states that it was discovered during a minor operation. Wonder what that was? He has been walking to the hospital to get his treatment so that is good. And with a six week radio-active treatment that doesn't sound so bad. Whew, Well these things happen and from The sounds of it The Stones are going to roll with Charlie again. Bless them fuckers.
Ian
August 14th, 2004 09:31 PM
LadyJane Just found this...Sounds very promising.

Rolling Stones drummer Watts treated for throat cancer

MURDO MACLEOD

ROCK legend Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones drummer, is being treated for throat cancer, it was revealed last night.

The 63-year-old musician is midway through a course of radiotherapy at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Chelsea, near his London home.

Watts, the quiet man of the group, whose records with the Stones have sold millions around the world, was diagnosed after going into hospital in June.

The drummer, who has not smoked since the 1960s when the band shot to fame, was said to be in "good form" and has been walking to hospital to be treated.

His bandmates - Sir Mick Jagger, Keith Richard, Ronnie Wood and Bill Wyman - have been informed and he has been supported by wife Shirley during the six-week course of treatment, of which he has now completed four weeks.

A spokesman for the group said: "Having been diagnosed with throat cancer following a minor operation in June, Charlie Watts is reaching the end of radiotherapy treatment.

"He is expecting to make a full recovery and start work with the rest of the band later in the year. He’s going to work on a new Stones album later this year."

His treatment has not interfered with any tour or recording plans for the group, who have been "relaxing between work commitments".

A family friend added: "It has been a great shock to find out Charlie had cancer, but we are all greatly relieved he is on the way to making a full recovery.

"The treatment is now coming close to an end and Charlie has been typically upbeat. He has retained his sense of humour throughout. He’s been carrying on with life as normally as he can.

"The last thing that he wants is everyone calling and making a fuss, thinking he’s going to die. He’s very positive because he’s been told he has every chance of being completely cured.

"Obviously, it has been a worrying time for his family, but they are very close and have been rallying round.

"Of course, he also had calls from Mick, Keith, Ronnie and his great friend Bill Wyman. He is looking forward to being back at home with his family and breeding horses on his stud farm."

Born in 1941, the son of a lorry driver, he trained as a graphic artist before turning to music and published some books of cartoons as drawings.

As a drummer he was self-taught and never took lessons. To learn the drums, he tried playing along to records, a method he admitted hating.

Watts’ original first love was jazz. He also shares a fondness of cricket with Jagger, who was knighted for his services to music last year, and the two always plan the staging and design of tours together with a professional team.

In 1964, with the Stones in full swing, he published Ode To A High Flying Bird, an amusing booklet of his cartoon drawings dedicated to Charlie Parker, then only appreciated by a hardcore fans.

Later in 1967 he drew a comic strip on the back of the album Between the Buttons.

In addition to playing for the Stones, Watts has always been a fan of big band music, and in 1985 he realised a dream when he brought his own big band numbering some 30 players with three drummers into a club.

LJ.
August 14th, 2004 09:47 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:
Get well soon Charlie.

What a handsome man, isn't he? Damn, he's sixty, but take a look at him, pay attention for just a second and you'll see a handsome devil. Keep smashing your drum kit my hero, keep beating these two sticks, keep touching our hearts and sould with your music. Some time ago I read in a local newspaper you had been here in Brazil just to buy some horses as we all know, it's one of your passions in life. Dedicated man, dedicated musician, you have never lost your touch. Inside the band, you surely stand for the one who hasn't lost your musical ability. Excuse my poor english writing Charlie, just make yourself sure that there are lots of poor motherfuckers like me who wouldn't know what life could become without Rolling Fuckin' Stones. And please, even if you, our hearoes, decide to stop touring after the next World Tour (which of course will reach Brazil and ARgentina with a schedule plenty of Stadium nights in São Paulo), don't fade away, don't stop....hell, wasn't you guys that said "Don't Stop" after 40 fuckin' years? Keep the music going on and on. We still don't know how to live without the hope and thrill of waiting your interviews, press conferences.
When I say that MY SOUL BELONGS TO KEITH RICHARDS, THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO, I'VE MADE UP MY MIND,I am standing something real, something that my heart daily cries loudly.... Rolling Stones, not just a band with 40 years on the road, but a true ERA OF THE HISTORY.

YOU CAN'T KILL ROCK'N'ROLL, AND DO NOT LOOK BUSY, I AM TALKING TO YOU, FACE ME, IT'S CARVED IN MY SOUL
August 14th, 2004 09:53 PM
Poplar Best wishes, Charlie.
August 14th, 2004 10:10 PM
MarthaMyDear
quote:
And please, even if you, our hearoes, decide to stop touring after the next World Tour (which of course will reach Brazil and ARgentina with a schedule plenty of Stadium nights in São Paulo), don't fade away, don't stop....
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
HE!!! HE!!! Funny!!! Mine is: And please,
even if you, our hearoes, decide to stop touring after the
next World Tour (which of course you will put me on the VIP
list to for the whole tour), don't fade away, don't stop....
JUST PLAYING!!! lol............... Your post makes me all
teary-eyed!!! It sounds like he's doing well, though, so I'm
going to stay very optimistic as a lot of people do
extremely well after treatment, etc. (my mother being one of
them), so KEEP IT UP, CHARLIE, AND WE'LL ALL SEE YOU ON THE
NEXT TOUR!!! ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
August 14th, 2004 10:15 PM
Soldatti He will be fine, I know...
August 14th, 2004 10:26 PM
Gazza Oh, man...I just got in from a night out to have the wife break this to me.

Fortunately, the news story on Sky News has been updated and now seems to be the same as the one LadyJane quoted above from the Sunday Times.

Prognosis seems to be very positive which is good. Here's hoping they've got it early as seems to be the case.

This, plus Ronnie's problems, seem to make the surprising lack of Stones activity in the last couple of months understandable after all.

Get well soon Charlie. God bless ya.
August 14th, 2004 10:31 PM
Soldatti Now I know why they pushed back the recording sessions, Charlie canceled his tour too and he not was on the Amsterdan meeting.
August 14th, 2004 10:51 PM
Gazza JJ Flash wrote>What a handsome man, isn't he? Damn, he's sixty, but take a look at him, pay attention for just a second and you'll see a handsome devil. Keep smashing your drum kit my hero, keep beating these two sticks, keep touching our hearts and sould with your music.

That particular photo means a lot to me because I have an autographed copy of it framed which Charlie sent to me in 1996 after I'd sent him a birthday card.

The man is possibly the coolest guy in showbusiness for the simple reason that he is the living definition of the "anti-celebrity".

Hurricane Charlie will be drummin' up a storm again soon.
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6