ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaah!!! Wohoooo I'm gonna listen the WHOLE album in 3 days!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
August 8th, 2005 08:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl ...and counting the time
August 8th, 2005 11:12 PM
time is on my side Really looking forward to hearing from Voodoo. It's also fair to point out that the French Fan Club has released an updated review which seems to be far more positive than the original one. However, it's up to each person to decide for themselves. I'm getting excited. Here's the updated version:

Let's be frank: we don't have any copy from the album. We only listened to it once, at the Virgin French headquarters in Paris. The downloading scare makes the record companies... cautious. Going out, we had doubts: ultra-modern and messy production, several tracks sounding like rip-offs of their previous works, minimalist attempt at singing from Jagger... Then, through thinking about it, talking about it, exchanging our feelings and our notes, the tasteless has become correct, the merely acceptable superb. Here's a track by track review of the 16 titles from this "Bigger Bang" which, looking back over it, turns out to be a good record in spite of its length.

Rough Justice: the leading track is a strong rock'n'roller, in line with "Sad, Sad, Sad". Marked groove, screaming guitars, wild rhythm section. When the Stones try to imitate their grandchildren: Black Crowes, Georgia Satellites and co.

Let Me Down Slow: a country-rock ballad, with basic chords and an obviously easy tune. "Dead Flowers" for the noughties.

It Won't Take Long: close to the "Dirty Work" style. A garage band style basic rock song, quieter than the opening track, driven by Keith's guitar and nasty homemade riff. Jagger was in a lazy day when he wrote the tune and the chorus but it goes alright, it's vintage Stones.

Rain Fall Down: first misfire. Keith tries as hard as he can to prevent the song to turn into a dud and his mastery skills were useful here. His funky riff saves the song from boredom. Sort of a Sex Drive remix, with arrangements straight out of "Goddess in The Doorway"

Streets of Love: things quiet down with the first ballad and they get worse. The Stones have seldom lacked such inspiration on this kind of track. As bland as you can get, a mix between a bad Bon Jovi and a Brian Adams turd. The acoustic guitar is straight out of a Metallica ballad. Regarding electric guitars, even Aerosmith would have turned them out. The less said about the melody, the chorus, the backing vocals, the better. Yes, the less said... So, let's stop, next track because we're losing the hard on from the first three songs.

Back Of My Hand: Great! A blues. And what a blues! Not this year's blues, no, an authentic, haunting and gloomy blues. It goes all electric, like a Muddy Waters record, and reminds us of The Storm, a B track from Voodoo Lounge. Jagger screams on the harmonica, Ronnie plays a mean slide guitar while Keith and Charlie deliver a exhilarating laid-back groove. 34 years ago, this song would have belonged to the tracklisting of "Sticky Fingers" as "You Gotta Move".

She Saw Me Coming: The return to greatness is cut short by this generic funky song, with a chorus that would better suit an inspired Britney Spears.

Biggest Mistake: Happiness shines again with this pleasing song. Another track in the Dead Flowers country-rock mould. The tune is spot on even if the backing vocals, at first hearing, are somewhat corny.

This Place Is Empty: First song sung by Keith. A ballad played while the fire is burning in the chimney, very inspired, with acoustic arpeggia and tasty backing vocals. His voice goes straight to our guts, thanks to a catchy tune.

Oh No, Not You Again: Energy goes back, rocking off, with this sharp rock'n'roller, sounding a little like the first track but with syncopated verses, cut with riffs straight out of a One Hit (To The Body) remix. The solo is vintage Chcuck Berry, Charlie and Darryl send in the glu and everybody crashes in a chaotic climax! Not very original but efficient.

Dangerous Beauty: Another syncopated rock'n'roller, this one without anything special. The Stones on automatic pilot, the tune drags on, the riffs have already been used a million times... Let's forget about it.

Laugh, I Nearly Died: The album goes out of breath. A soul ballad unable to soar, r'n'b backing vocals (again!) that are clumsy, Keith lost in the middle of his riff.

Sweet Neo Con: Jagger is spot on against the Bush administration with the provocative style that suit him so well. Besides from that, Keith and Ron certainly went to the pub, Charlie preferred to spend time with his granddaughter and Darryl was snoring.

Look What The Cat Dragged In: One more time for the Stones in automatic pilot and self-parody mode. Not really bad but not really good either. You won't hear it in a club, you won't hear it on the radio and, let's hope, we won't have to suffer it on stage.

Driving Too Fast: Heavy rhythm section, boring tune, a AOR heavy metal chorus that you have already heard too many times. It's getting close to the 16 tracks and it's long, far too long.

Infamy: Richards saved the last bullet. It's groovy, funky, as Stax sounding as it can and delivered by the war horse, it a strike. Above all, Jagger is busy on the harmonica, the backing vocals have the good ol' X-Pensive Winos tribal spirit, the acoustic guitar break is splendid. To make it short, "A Bigger Bang" has a wonderful coda, sung by the soul of the Stones himself.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 8th, 2005 11:34 PM
exile Hmmmmm........ interesting

thanks for the translation, time is on my side
August 9th, 2005 12:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Holy shit, it was changed to WEDNESDAY, so it's another 24 hours more
August 9th, 2005 12:44 AM
exile
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Holy shit, it was changed to WEDNESDAY, so it's another 24 hours more

August 9th, 2005 03:04 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
exile wrote:

LOL!!!
August 9th, 2005 03:16 PM
Monkey Woman Tomorrow, folks.. Tomorrow our own Voodoo will hear "it"!!!
August 9th, 2005 03:22 PM
Monkey Woman And you'll formulate it with your usual flair...
August 9th, 2005 03:30 PM
Monkey Woman Some of "them" hate you for other reasons than your freedom, jb...
August 9th, 2005 03:47 PM
ListenToTheLion What has become of Fiji Joe?
August 9th, 2005 06:11 PM
mac_daddy
cant wait to read the full report, so just a bump :P
August 9th, 2005 06:25 PM
Some Guy that review was a tad bit depressing.
August 9th, 2005 08:08 PM
Soldatti
quote:

Rain Fall Down: Sort of a Sex Drive remix, with arrangements straight out of "Goddess in The Doorway"

Oh No, Not You Again Matt Clifford!

quote:
She Saw Me Coming: The return to greatness is cut short by this generic funky song, with a chorus that would better suit an inspired Britney Spears.

WTF?
August 10th, 2005 12:34 AM
Poplar woah dude - so you did hear it?

{for those who didn't see - voodoo posted a brief review for a moment}
[Edited by Poplar]
August 10th, 2005 12:38 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL POplar, Yes I did it but it had more typos than words

Yes, it was today but I lied to avoid too many fans at the event as it was PRIVATE (and some can't hardly read
August 10th, 2005 12:40 AM
Poplar
just keep'n ya honest, man.

but i have to say it: TELL US MORE!

August 10th, 2005 12:49 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What a GREAT album, a just heard it completely, in a hi Fi equipment really loud and it rocks

If there is filler it would be "Driving Too Fast" but it's ok anyway

It is so crude, back to the basics

You listen only guitars, bass, drums and great harmonicas, no horns inh the whole album and no pianos except in "This Place is Empty"

There is only one blues and two ballads, all other are rock-funky-reggae, mixed in an exquisite, delicious rock dominated way.

LOVE IT

To hear Rough Justice in that equipment made me change my feeling about that song, it is a real rocking masterpiece

The intro to "Sweet Neo Con" made feel like listening Magic Dick from the J. Geils Band playing the harmonica, I don't know if it is Mick as later the harmonica and lyrics are listened together at the same time but of course it's a studio recording...

Anyway, I love that you do not listen any horn, only Harmonica, the cheapest instrument you can buy

Some songs like "Rain Fall Down", "Look what the cat dragged in" and "Dangerous Beauty" have in the middle or at the end of or the song a great "game" of bass, guitar and drums like enjoying themselves in an improvised jam in the good ol'days

The last song is really "Strange" is not a ballad is not a rocker, is not funky, is not reggae, is Keith inspired in a new "style"

In "Biggest Mistake" Mick uses but not abuses of the typical falsetto but babies in the "Laugh, I nearly Died" he is nasal, twangy... worse that Mr. Zimmerman

WHY WHY??? WHY???????

Tomorrow I’m gonna give you more and a special report, with photos etc etc and something better than just a review

August 10th, 2005 01:22 AM
T&A excellent Voodoo! I'm wondering if the last tune has a little bit of that "Thief in the Night" feel to it. Another reviewer indicated a Stax/Volt style, which "Thief" has a bit of. No piano, eh? Well, we know RJ has Chuck on it....
August 10th, 2005 02:22 AM
Jumacfly thanks Voodoo, it's good to begin the day with another massive erection...
August 10th, 2005 03:40 AM
L&A Thanks Voodoo, your enthusiasm will travel all over the world
August 10th, 2005 05:05 AM
Gazza >The last song is really "Strange" is not a ballad is not a rocker, is not funky, is not reggae, is Keith inspired in a new "style"

interesting. wasnt that the song that 3 different Italian reviewers variously described as sounding like AC DC, reggae and something out of Dixieland?

thanks for the review, you lucky bastard

August 10th, 2005 05:24 AM
Monkey Woman Music to my ears, Voodoo!

I'm curious to hear that new Keith song too. I like it when he experiments with his music, pushing the limits of the Stones into unknown territory...

And the fact that it's indeed the 4 Stones plus bass and a little piano, and Mick on harp apparently... Great! That bass/drums/guitar interplay should be sweet to hear too.

August 10th, 2005 06:06 AM
maumau much better than the neocon circle, can't wait for your "special"
thanks a lot for the anticipation
it's fun to be a stones fan

wonder about the "messy production" the french reviewer talk about. that really worried me because i think (i fear) it makes sense given ABB predecessors

anything to say about this?
August 10th, 2005 06:09 AM
corgi37 Sounds good to me. Where can i buy this item? hahaha

Oh, whats that i hear? Ah, its unmistakeable.

It the salivating sound of music critics everywhere, just dying to rip this to shreds.

Cant wait for Voodoo's hoodoo review.
August 10th, 2005 06:10 AM
Bob Tamp Yes, you lucky guy... bring it on. We want to hear all the details track by track.
a) are the songs good
b) does it all flow together
c)if it had to be compared to one Stones album in past, which one?

Christ, I sound like a fucking teacher. lol

Just really psyched to hear the details.
August 10th, 2005 06:45 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Oh, whats that i hear? Ah, its unmistakeable.

It the salivating sound of music critics everywhere, just dying to rip this to shreds.

Drip, drip, drip... Beware, floods ahead!
August 10th, 2005 06:45 AM
Daethgod great stuff voodoo !

u lucky bastardo

August 10th, 2005 08:18 AM
Jair Thanks Voodoo, I've ordered the Jap edition, so around August 30 I will receive it!!!! Can't wait!!!!

BTW - "The best in years", you said. How many?!
33 or...8
[Edited by Jair]
August 10th, 2005 08:32 AM
Madafaka Thanks Voodoo!
August 10th, 2005 08:34 AM
Nellcote I'm waiting for the "something better than a review"
line Voodoo noted....
Thanks for the 411!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)